Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > River Cruising

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

River Cruising Find Others on Your River Cruise! River Cruising Roll Calls

Old June 13th, 2012, 04:17 PM
Cool Cruiser

Smile

We traveled with Grand Circle's China & the Yangtze and everything that pjtraveler said about Uniworld also appllies to Grand Circle and probably others, except that there was no problem with using voltage converters on the ship and, even in Hong Kong, all meals were provided. Some people ate independently out of choice, but there was no need to. I did a blog on the trip that would probably apply to other operators. It is http://jackthetravelingman-china.blogspot.com

Old June 13th, 2012, 11:10 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Weather in June...

Just wondering about the weather in June for travelling in China.

Doing some research - and time may be a challenge for some of the family members. First option was mid-March (ie: start around March 15th) - which may be a bit cool for Beijing, but nice for the Yangzte and Shanghai.

Now, Mid-june is being discussed. I am concerned about the heat, as I am worried that this is getting into summer weather.

Can someone comment?

Thanks so much.

Fran

Old June 14th, 2012, 12:06 AM
Cool Cruiser

Fran:

I too have been investigating the China itinerary. We are June-July travelers, but after the study thus far it appears to me that the optimum time for China is May & if into June make it very very early June. The temps in Beijing are in high 80's and 90's today with this coming Sunday being 100F. Shanghai appears around 10 degrees cooler, but stays pretty warm also. Based on this I am trying to figure a way we can adjust schedules - had enough 100+ temps at home last year & near that already this year.

[/url]

Old June 14th, 2012, 12:23 AM
Cool Cruiser

Smile

We were there in early April, and it was very hot then. The latitude range is Philadelphia to Havana. You are best to avoid China from June through September, unless you like it very warm.

Old June 16th, 2012, 04:17 PM
Cool Cruiser

We were there late May and early June. It was very warm and humid, but I think we got lucky as it is normally much warmer. Weather was actually decent in Beijing.

Air pollution may be a big factor for some. We rarely saw blue sky in any portion of China. They like to call it mist and some of it may be natural inversion, but it is clearly a pollution problem.
RCI Rhapsody of the Seas - Sep 2012
Century Sun - May 2012
Emerald Princess - Feb 2012 B2B
Golden Princess - Apr 2008
Caribbean Princess - Feb 2008
RCI Legend of the Seas - Nov 2007
RCI Legend of the Seas - Oct 2007
RCI Jewell of the Seas - Feb 2007
RCI Jewell of the Seas - Jan 2007
Grand Princess - Nov 2006
Sea Princess - Jan 2006
Dawn Princess - Jan 2005
HAL Zaandam - Jun 2004
HAL Rotterdam - Jan 2004
RCI Enchantment of the Seas - Mar 2003
Sun Princess - Sep 2002
Celebrity Millennium - Feb 2002
RCI Radiance of the Seas - Apr 2001
Sea Princess - Jan 2001
HAL Veendam - Jun 2000
HAL Veendam - Feb 1999
Carnival Inspiration - Apr 1997

Old July 12th, 2012, 01:51 PM
Cool Cruiser

duplicate post
Celebrity Silhouette, Europe/Mediterranean, July 2013; Celebrity Silhouette, E. Caribbean, April 2013; Century Diamond, Yangtze River, July 2012; Celebrity Solstice, W. Caribbean, April 2012; HAL Eurodam, Baltic, July 2011; RCI Liberty of the Seas, W. Caribbean, April 2010; HAL Noordam, Europe/Mediterranean, June-July 2009; RCI Brilliance of the Seas, Panama Canal, March 2008; RCI Grandeur of the Seas, NE/Canada, July 2007; RCI Radiance of the Seas, W. Caribbean, November 2006; RCI Radiance of the Seas, Alaska, August 2006; Carnival Liberty, W. Caribbean, November 2005; RCI Explorer of the Seas, E. Caribbean, Sept 2001; Princess Regal Princess, E. Caribbean, November 1993

Travel-related posts from my blog: http://terpnut.blogspot.com/search/label/travel

Last edited by Terpnut; July 12th, 2012 at 01:59 PM.

Old July 12th, 2012, 01:55 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by franski View Post
Just wondering about the weather in June for travelling in China.

Doing some research - and time may be a challenge for some of the family members. First option was mid-March (ie: start around March 15th) - which may be a bit cool for Beijing, but nice for the Yangzte and Shanghai.

Now, Mid-june is being discussed. I am concerned about the heat, as I am worried that this is getting into summer weather.

Can someone comment?

Thanks so much.

Fran
Just returned from our trip (June 17-July 3rd), and our trip was exceedingly hot and humid the entire trip without a break. Mid to upper 90's (close to 100), and very high humidity the entire time--no matter whether it was Beijing, Xian, Chongqing, Yichang, Shanghai, Hangzhou or Yangzhou.
Quote:
Air pollution may be a big factor for some. We rarely saw blue sky in any portion of China. They like to call it mist and some of it may be natural inversion, but it is clearly a pollution problem.
I agree that air quality was terrible too. Code purple or maroon (by US EPA AQI standards) in Beijing and Shanghai on most days. So if you don't want to be exposed to the equivalent of second hand cigarette smoke in a crowded restaurant, diligently follow the Beijing U.S. Embassy and Shanghai consulate AQI feeds, and wear your air masks as needed! In addition, most photos will have a hazy quality, not because your camera lens is dirty but because the air is so bad you can SEE it.

In general, whenever possible, avoid visiting China in the summer months.
Celebrity Silhouette, Europe/Mediterranean, July 2013; Celebrity Silhouette, E. Caribbean, April 2013; Century Diamond, Yangtze River, July 2012; Celebrity Solstice, W. Caribbean, April 2012; HAL Eurodam, Baltic, July 2011; RCI Liberty of the Seas, W. Caribbean, April 2010; HAL Noordam, Europe/Mediterranean, June-July 2009; RCI Brilliance of the Seas, Panama Canal, March 2008; RCI Grandeur of the Seas, NE/Canada, July 2007; RCI Radiance of the Seas, W. Caribbean, November 2006; RCI Radiance of the Seas, Alaska, August 2006; Carnival Liberty, W. Caribbean, November 2005; RCI Explorer of the Seas, E. Caribbean, Sept 2001; Princess Regal Princess, E. Caribbean, November 1993

Travel-related posts from my blog: http://terpnut.blogspot.com/search/label/travel

Last edited by Terpnut; July 12th, 2012 at 01:58 PM.

Old July 12th, 2012, 09:50 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellie Poodle View Post
Thank you! I really appreciate your information. Much more helpful than "cheerleaders" if you understand where I am coming from.

I don't begrudge "cheerleaders" and truly understand their loyalty, it's just that I wanted deeper information and you provided it.
Most people that get to take a China river cruse do it once, therefore I think you will find that few if any have experience multiple cruise lines.

I think it is insulting to refer to cheerleaders because they liked the only China cruse the will likely ever take.

Old July 12th, 2012, 11:45 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donray View Post
Most people that get to take a China river cruse do it once, therefore I think you will find that few if any have experience multiple cruise lines.

I think it is insulting to refer to cheerleaders because they liked the only China cruse the will likely ever take.

Thank you so much for your first and only post to this idle thread,. I can't help but wonder why you waited so long to chastise me

Loyalty program status: Does it really matter?

Old July 13th, 2012, 12:43 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellie Poodle View Post
Thank you so much for your first and only post to this idle thread,. I can't help but wonder why you waited so long to chastise me

Because you needed it. And I don't think a thread is idle when someone has not posted for 12 hours or so.

Last edited by Donray; July 13th, 2012 at 12:54 PM.

Old July 15th, 2012, 11:14 PM
Cool Cruiser

I totally agree with comment #5 (a little late to the party here...)

Our China trip with Viking was stellar from start to finish - accommodations, guide, itinerary, even travel companions were all top notch. I recommend Viking without hesitation!

ms Ryndam Alaska 1998
ms Maasdam Baltic 2000
ms Amsterdam Alaska 2002
ms Volendam E. Caribbean 2005
ms Noordam W. Med 2006
ms Rotterdam E. Med 2008
Century Sun China 2009
River Rhapsody Danube 2010
Viking Pride Seine 2012
Viking RV Saigon Pandaw Mekong 2013
ms Ryndam W. Caribbean 2013
P&O Ventura Med 2014

It's not the breaths we take -- it's the moments that take our breath away.

Last edited by momilani; July 15th, 2012 at 11:18 PM.

Old July 15th, 2012, 11:41 PM
Cool Cruiser

Having read the whole thread now, I can add:

If walking is an issue, you may run into difficulty with the Forbidden City/Tianamen portion (a bit of a 'long march') and the Great Wall. Depending on the river, it's a bit of a haul down to the boat in Cheonching (sp?)

We had a passenger with celiac in our group and the guide bent over backward to assure their dietary needs were met

If there are names to be called, 'cheerleader' ain't bad. I call things as I see them - for good or ill. I have noted on these boards that people with only big cruise ship experiences tend to find river cruising a disappointment . I don't . I enjoy both in different ways. To me, the biggest similarity is that your hotel goes with...which is why I cruise at all.

I choose to celebrate the differences and enjoy it all.

Bon voyage!

ms Ryndam Alaska 1998
ms Maasdam Baltic 2000
ms Amsterdam Alaska 2002
ms Volendam E. Caribbean 2005
ms Noordam W. Med 2006
ms Rotterdam E. Med 2008
Century Sun China 2009
River Rhapsody Danube 2010
Viking Pride Seine 2012
Viking RV Saigon Pandaw Mekong 2013
ms Ryndam W. Caribbean 2013
P&O Ventura Med 2014

It's not the breaths we take -- it's the moments that take our breath away.

Old July 16th, 2012, 12:39 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by momilani View Post
Having read the whole thread now, I can add:

If walking is an issue, you may run into difficulty with the Forbidden City/Tianamen portion (a bit of a 'long march') and the Great Wall. Depending on the river, it's a bit of a haul down to the boat in Cheonching (sp?)

I think I have solved our problem but we won't be able to sail on a river boat in China.

We love river cruising and will continue to do so, but not for China.

We've booked passage on a Celebrity ship for April 2014. The ship puts in to a port about 2 hours from Beijing and will be there 3 days. We will arrange a private tour guide who will pick us up at the ship each day and hire a wheel chair and wheel chair pusher, if possible, in the City.

We will go to the Great Wall, the square and the Forbidden City. Anything else that can be fit in will be a bonus.

At least DH will be able to have two meals per day that we don't have to worry about on the ship. He can manage a lite lunch or snack while we sightsee.

I would have much preferred to do a river cruise, but we can't jeopardize his health and it would be so disappointing if he could not see the sights because of his mobility issues.

I am a little amazed that some people were put out by the term "cheerleader" but I was looking for specific answers and was getting "I like XYZ line" and not the answers. That was my reference to "cheerleaders".
Loyalty program status: Does it really matter?