Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Windstar Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Windstar Cruises
Read Luxury Cruise Reviews written by cruisers just like you!

Old July 10th, 2012, 07:08 PM
Cool Cruiser

Unhappy Discount price on an existing cruise?

Windstar just sent me an email about its latest sale and reduced the price for my existing cruise by $1800. Many cruise lines allow you to get a refund if you complain that the price on an existing category has been reduced. Windstar simply said that it was too late to cancel and rebook at the cheaper rate. They gave me a $200 cabin credit. Wow! Now other ships that are underbooked find ways of giving "quiet discounts" to new passengers such as reduced airfare, gratuity, upgrades, et al but they don't tell all existing passengers that the current fare is lower; that is a horrendous marketing tool. I am a frequent cruiser, but I don't think I will book another Windstar cruise.
What experience do others have with how other cruise lines handle this issue as ship has space and departure approaches? Anyone get a refund or benefit for booking too early and price was reduced?

Old July 10th, 2012, 07:58 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by evonlef View Post
Windstar just sent me an email about its latest sale and reduced the price for my existing cruise by $1800. Many cruise lines allow you to get a refund if you complain that the price on an existing category has been reduced. Windstar simply said that it was too late to cancel and rebook at the cheaper rate. They gave me a $200 cabin credit. Wow! Now other ships that are underbooked find ways of giving "quiet discounts" to new passengers such as reduced airfare, gratuity, upgrades, et al but they don't tell all existing passengers that the current fare is lower; that is a horrendous marketing tool. I am a frequent cruiser, but I don't think I will book another Windstar cruise.
What experience do others have with how other cruise lines handle this issue as ship has space and departure approaches? Anyone get a refund or benefit for booking too early and price was reduced?
If it's past final payment most cruise lines won't do much. Sometimes you'll get some OBC or an upgrade.

Past Cruises
HAL Statendam 9/2014 - Pacific Coast
Celebrity Millennium 6/2014 - Alaska
NCL Star 12/2013 - Panama Canal
HAL Statendam 5/2013 - Pacific Coast
NCL Sun 10/2012 - Southern Caribbean
Carnival Inspiration 5/2012 - Baja
NCL Spirit 4/2012 - Western Caribbean
Carnival Freedom 1/2012 - Western Caribbean
Carnival Splendor 8/2011 - Mexican Riviera
NCL Pride of America 4/2011 - Hawaii
Carnival Spirit 10/2010 - Baja
NCL Jade 3/2010 - Eastern Mediterranean
Carnival Paradise 10/2009 - Baja
HAL Westerdam 6/2009 - Alaska
Caribbean Princess 11/2008 - Southern Caribbean
RCL Sovereign of the Seas 8/2008 - Bahamas
Carnival Fantasy 5/2008 - Western Caribbean
Grand Princess 3/2008 - Western Caribbean
Carnival Elation 9/2007 - Baja California
Grand Princess 12/2006 - Western Caribbean
M/S Nile Carnival 3/2003 - Nile River

Old July 11th, 2012, 11:57 AM
10,000+ Club

Agree; this is typical of all cruise lines. That's why I don't book early.

Old July 13th, 2012, 02:46 PM
Cool Cruiser

This is highly unusual, but the new cruise line, Windjammer Sailing Adventures, began booking for S/V Mandalay's tall-ship sailings starting later this month. After bookings had been taken for a few weeks, WSA announced a promotion offering really great rates for all sailings through the end of this year. AND then WSA announced to all that everyone who had already booked would get a refund re the new rates. I know many had already booked for this company, and it certainly was great PR to give the refunds...lots of happy tall-ship sailors as a result: those who had booked and those who then booked. Wouldn't it be nice if ...... but nah, probably never gonna happen with the big cruise lines.

Next: tall ships Diamant (Nov 2014) and Arabella (March 2015)

Pre 2000: on small cruise ships
Caribe I, Seabreeze, Oceanbreeze, Renaissance III, Columbia Queen