Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Caribbean > Private Islands

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Private Islands Disney's Castaway Cay, Carnival Corp.'s Grand Turk & Half Moon Cay, RCI's Labadee & Coco Cay, Princess Cays etc.

Old July 21st, 2012, 08:42 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by phabric View Post
I was thinking of renting a cabana.

What is the difference between Hillside at Nellie Beach $175
At Nellie Beach $175
Over the water at Nellie Beach $200

Is the beach or water rocky?

Is the beach far if you pick Hillside or at the beach cabana?

What is the difference in lunch from the other lunch for the non cabana passengers?

Does RCL include bottle water with the cabana price or is it extra?

Do you walk from the dock or is there a ride?
there is the over the water and hillside and beach all pictured in my pics above. The beach is not rocky but the over the water has some rocks and the hillside is quite a walk up the hill
beach ones are pictured at the back of the shot where the people are on the beach, so there is no climbing involved if that is an issue
there is a little golf cart type vehicle that takes you to the cabana, you have to walk down the pier to the end to get it
bottled water is included
the lunch includes shrimp skewers, steak, other items not included in the standard buffet

Old July 21st, 2012, 09:42 AM
10,000+ Club

Such an informative thread, and wonderful photos!

Thanks so much for posting!

119 nights at sea (61 with RCI):
RCCL Quantum of the Seas (3 day inaugural sampler cruise to nowhere) 11/18/14
Celebrity Summit (7 nights NJ to Bermuda) 8/17/14
Celebrity Summit (7 nights NJ to Bermuda) 8/25/13
RCCL Jewel of the Seas (7 days Southern - Barbados route) 5/25/13
RCCL Explorer of the Seas (9 days NJ to Bermuda, Labadee, San Juan and St Maarten) 5/24/12
RCCL Explorer of the Seas (NJ to Bahamas - New Years cruise) 12/30/11
RCCL Allure of the Seas (Eastern Caribbean) 8/21/11
Caribbean Princess (9 days NY to Bermuda, St Thomas, San Juan and Grand Turk) 7/29/10 REVIEW
Caribbean Princess (Canada/New England) 8/24/08 REVIEW
RCCL Mariner of the Seas (Western Caribbean) 8/26/07 REVIEW
RCCL Mariner of the Seas (Eastern Caribbean) 8/20/06
Carnival Miracle (NY to Bahamas) 6/26/04 REVIEW
RCCL Adventure of the Seas (Southern - Aruba route) 8/24/03
RCCL Explorer of the Seas (Western Caribbean) 8/17/02
Costa Riviera (Western Caribbean) 5/90
Cunard Countess (Southern Caribbean) 6/89
Home Lines Atlantic (NY to Bermuda) 7/88

Old July 21st, 2012, 12:24 PM
Cool Cruiser

How easy or hard is it to walk from Nellie's to Barefoot for the buffet?

Also, if I reserve a Hillside cabana at Nellie's how hard is the walk up to it? Is there a path, or would we have to walk over rocks?

Old July 21st, 2012, 12:41 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Do you think when you reserve a cabana, they reserve a certain cabana for you at that time or is it who gets off the ship first gets to choose their cabana.

Old July 21st, 2012, 01:42 PM
10,000+ Club

Melanie, many thanks for the informative thread!

PINNACLE CLUB

Quite a few RCI CRUISES (we don't count the others)

Days at sea: not enough
Cruise points: more than enough

future floats:

(23, at last count)

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first.

Old July 21st, 2012, 02:34 PM
10,000+ Club

Melanie, thanks for the wonderful pictures and information!

Old July 21st, 2012, 04:12 PM
Cool Cruiser

We have an Over the Water Cabana for our cruise in August. Have not done the cabana thing before but from what I have read on this site, I have gained some information.
People have said the sand at Nellies Beach is full of sea shells and a bit sharp on tender feet. Watershoes are recommended. People have said that Nellie's Beach Cabana people can go over to Barefoot Beach.
Reports are that the hillside cabanas are quite a bit of a walk. They don't recommend them for people with walking issues.
The expanded buffet includes shrimp kabobs, steaks, and ribs. There are other additions. Check out this site further.
Your cabana boy brings you a cooler with water and I believe soft drinks. Alchoholic beverages are not included by available through your cabana boy.
You also get floating water pads with the cabana.
There are golf carts that pick you up at the ship and take you to the cabana area. Your cabana boy meets you and takes you to your cabana.
If you decide to reserve a cabana, just put one name on the reservation. If you try to list your whole party, it will not take your reservation. The price of $175 or $200 includes up to six people per cabana. You add your other guests either on ship or when you arrive at Labadee. Everyone receives wristbands to identify who can go to the cabanas and the expanded buffet.
Everyone says it is the best money spent for the whole cruise. I am really looking forward to Labadee and the cabana.

Old July 22nd, 2012, 08:47 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Booked over the water cabana at nellies

Thanks to this thread we just booked this, I did not think it would be available to book so early , our cruise is in Jan. Last year we had a GS and went to barefoot beach, no cabana. We loved barefoot beach, beautiful beautiful beach, great buffet. Not doing a GS this time so happy to hear I can use barefoot beach and buffet with the purchase of this cabana.

Old July 22nd, 2012, 10:50 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by maurmc View Post
Thanks to this thread we just booked this, I did not think it would be available to book so early , our cruise is in Jan. Last year we had a GS and went to barefoot beach, no cabana. We loved barefoot beach, beautiful beautiful beach, great buffet. Not doing a GS this time so happy to hear I can use barefoot beach and buffet with the purchase of this cabana.
I agree! Melanie, have you considered asking RCI for a cut in the cabana bookings? You deserve it. I wonder if the computers have detected an uptick in bookings, lol!

PINNACLE CLUB

future floats:

(23, at last count)

Old July 22nd, 2012, 11:35 AM
20,000+ Club

Well this thread has been a help for me as well. Thank you. Just booked our cabana the other evening at Nellies beach over the water. This is for our Oasis Oct 13 sailing. Booking just opened up for that this past week.

We have 3 couples sharing and look forward to it. I will approach the Concierge on the ship to see if they have any cabanas for a D+ cruiser at Barefoot and see if I can switch. One can hope I am on the ship the week before so will check then.

~Better well done than well said~ http://members.shaw.ca/emmysoo1
Up Next ~
Quantum ~2 night Cruise 2 Nowhere Nov 21/14

Quantum ~ Inaugural ~ Nov 23/14
Oasis ~ Eastern Carib ~ Feb 7/15
Quantum ~ 12 night ~ April 12/15
Independence OTS~ Oct 25/15 ~ Group Cruise
Serenade OTS ~ Nov 2/15 ~ 11 night Southern Carib

Old July 22nd, 2012, 11:45 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmy View Post
Well this thread has been a help for me as well. Thank you. Just booked our cabana the other evening at Nellies beach over the water. This is for our Oasis Oct 13 sailing. Booking just opened up for that this past week.

We have 3 couples sharing and look forward to it. I will approach the Concierge on the ship to see if they have any cabanas for a D+ cruiser at Barefoot and see if I can switch. One can hope I am on the ship the week before so will check then.
Have you done the cabana before, Emmy? You will have such fun! We did it on BB last December.

PINNACLE CLUB

future floats:

(23, at last count)

Old July 22nd, 2012, 11:50 AM
20,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelgoddess1 View Post
Have you done the cabana before, Emmy? You will have such fun! We did it on BB last December.
Morning Karen ~ No I have not ever done a cabana. Fellow CC poster Wendy (Breeezy) has and it sounded great so will try it out. I did the reservation and we are sharing with she and another couple. I am sure I will love it.

Hope to take lots of photos and will share here on this great thread.

~Better well done than well said~ http://members.shaw.ca/emmysoo1
Up Next ~
Quantum ~2 night Cruise 2 Nowhere Nov 21/14

Quantum ~ Inaugural ~ Nov 23/14
Oasis ~ Eastern Carib ~ Feb 7/15
Quantum ~ 12 night ~ April 12/15
Independence OTS~ Oct 25/15 ~ Group Cruise
Serenade OTS ~ Nov 2/15 ~ 11 night Southern Carib

Old July 22nd, 2012, 12:07 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Over the Water challenging?

I just book the over the water cabana at Nellie's beach for our spring break trip on the Allure with my in-laws and kids next March. My MIL has COPD and can't walk long distances, but loves the beach. Is getting to the cabana going to be an issue for her? Also is there anyway I can request the closest one, so she doesn't have to walk any further than necessary? Is it a relatively easy (i.e. flat) walk to the lunch buffet? Are there places she can stop and rest?

She loves the beach and the ocean, so I thought this would be a nice treat for her-if she wants to stay out of the sun, she can but will still be right there on the water and we'll have a server for drinks, etc.

Also, I think my kids will want to do the water park area-is that an easy walk (or commute) from Nellie's? I think they only get an hour on that part, so we will be able to leave and come back, correct?

Thank you for the info-I want to have a plan to make this trip as easy and enjoyable for my MIL as possible.

Old July 22nd, 2012, 02:36 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Shade

If you don't rent a cabana is there any options for shade on Bare Foot Beach? Saw plenty of loungers but no umbrellas. We are in a suite on our December cruise with Celebrity and understand we will have access to Bare Foot Beach.

Mary Lou

Old July 22nd, 2012, 02:52 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEZMARYLOU View Post
If you don't rent a cabana is there any options for shade on Bare Foot Beach? Saw plenty of loungers but no umbrellas. We are in a suite on our December cruise with Celebrity and understand we will have access to Bare Foot Beach.

Mary Lou
As I recall, there were many shady areas on the beach, well away from the water, of course.

PINNACLE CLUB

future floats:

(23, at last count)

Old July 22nd, 2012, 05:52 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelgoddess1 View Post
As I recall, there were many shady areas on the beach, well away from the water, of course.
Thanks, we like the water but don't like to sit in the sun.

Mary Lou

Old July 22nd, 2012, 08:21 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEZMARYLOU View Post
Thanks, we like the water but don't like to sit in the sun.

Mary Lou
I hear you, lol! We are not sun worshippers, either.

PINNACLE CLUB

future floats:

(23, at last count)

Old July 22nd, 2012, 08:52 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastiemom View Post
I just book the over the water cabana at Nellie's beach for our spring break trip on the Allure with my in-laws and kids next March. My MIL has COPD and can't walk long distances, but loves the beach. Is getting to the cabana going to be an issue for her? Also is there anyway I can request the closest one, so she doesn't have to walk any further than necessary? Is it a relatively easy (i.e. flat) walk to the lunch buffet? Are there places she can stop and rest?

She loves the beach and the ocean, so I thought this would be a nice treat for her-if she wants to stay out of the sun, she can but will still be right there on the water and we'll have a server for drinks, etc.

Also, I think my kids will want to do the water park area-is that an easy walk (or commute) from Nellie's? I think they only get an hour on that part, so we will be able to leave and come back, correct?

Thank you for the info-I want to have a plan to make this trip as easy and enjoyable for my MIL as possible.
my suggestion would be to go for the Nellie's Beach Cabana as opposed to Hillside or Over water. The distance wouldn't be much different but the over the water has stairs to climb which could be an issue. by being on the beach, it is a straight walk to the buffet, with no climbing.
You are taken there at the end of the pier by a golf cart type train so getting there won't be a problem.
You are free to come and go so if the kids want to go to other areas, that's no problem.

Old July 22nd, 2012, 11:49 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thank you for your response. I'm going to check to see if the beach cabana is still available.

Old July 23rd, 2012, 12:24 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbur View Post
my suggestion would be to go for the Nellie's Beach Cabana as opposed to Hillside or Over water. The distance wouldn't be much different but the over the water has stairs to climb which could be an issue. by being on the beach, it is a straight walk to the buffet, with no climbing.
You are taken there at the end of the pier by a golf cart type train so getting there won't be a problem.
You are free to come and go so if the kids want to go to other areas, that's no problem.
Melanie, when we booked the overwater cabana about 3 days ago, there was no option for beach cabanas offerred. Does that mean they were already gone? I was unaware there WERE beach cabanas on Nellie's, lol!

PINNACLE CLUB

future floats:

(23, at last count)