Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Alaska
 
Register here!
Forgot Your Password?


Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old July 23rd, 2012, 08:50 PM
dvg1027's Avatar
dvg1027 dvg1027 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Neptune City, NJ USA
Posts: 131
Default Where to buy clothes for Alaska

Hi,
We are going on the Statendam Sept 9 cruise and land for 11 days. My husband doesn't know this yet as I am surprising him at his 70th, (I'm 57) surprise birthday party next month with the gift.

I started researching what to wear and even though we do have some winter clothes we don't have a lot. I know that many have stated to layer which is what I plan on doing but, for the things I need to buy like thermal underwear and waterproof jackets, any suggestions of places to go to or to buy on line without breaking the bank? I am going for the jugular on this cruise since it has always been a dream of his to go to Alaska and I don't want to have to pay outrageous amounts for the clothes. Reason I say that is that I had done some research on the boards and some people have recommend some websites. Maybe it is just me but over $80 for thermal underwear seems a bit much. Any suggestions? Thanks.
__________________
Reply With Quote

  #2  
Old July 23rd, 2012, 09:06 PM
Orlando Vic's Avatar
Orlando Vic Orlando Vic is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Central Florida, USA
Posts: 871
Default

IMO, you don't need thermal underwear and waterproof jackets for mid-September. By September 20th, it "may" approach freezing temps in Anchorage, but only in the wee hours of the morning. You probably won't be outside during this time. Water repellant (not water proof) jackets should suffice. Of course, you might want a sweatshirt underneath.
__________________
Vic's travels: http://my.flightmemory.com/vogilvie
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old July 23rd, 2012, 09:13 PM
vbmom87 vbmom87 is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 9,574
Default

I see you are from NJ. You should have enough clothes that will work for Alaska. The main thing you may want to invest in is waterproof top layers. However, you need to think about what activities you will be doing to determine exactly what clothes you need. My DH and I were taking excursions where we would be outside a good part of the time. We also prefer to be out on the cruise ship deck for viewing the scenery rather than being inside the ship. Depending what you think you will be doing will determine how waterproof you need to go. Remeber that water repellent is not the same as waterproof. I always suggest that people buy from a store with a good return policy and leave the tags on. If you end up not wearing the clothing, you can return the items when you get home. If you are going on tours where you will always be in a bus and if you think you won't want to be spending time outside on deck, then you may not need to be concerned about water proof clothes.

If you feel you have no need for waterproof jackets, then buy yourself ponchos. I prefer jackets and waterproof pants, but if I felt it was the only time I would use the waterproof jackets, I would go for the cheaper ponchos. You can buy waterproof spray for your atheltic shoes and save money there if you don't want to buy new waterproof shoes. Not many people purchase waterproof pants, but we did and were glad we did. When we were at Hubbard Glacier there was a steady drizzle. We were able to stay out on the bow the entire time and we stayed dry. Others stayed inside, kept warm and dry and viewed the glacier from the windows.


Check out Sierra Trading Post (google to find this online store) for long underwear. They sometimes will also have waterproof jackets and pants. Their inventory changes, so you never know what you will find there.

I found relatively inexpensive breathable waterproof pants at LLBEAN when they were having a clearance on them. Otherwise LLBEAN is quite pricey. Others shop at Lands End, REI, Dick's Sporting Goods, Cabela's, etc. However, these are all pricey and more for the serious outdoors person, rather than the casaul traveller. However, they all have sales if you can be vigilant. Some people report finding clothing at Walmart, Kmart, Sears, etc.

For what it is worth, I bought and used long underwear on both of my trips to Alaska, but my DH never wore any long underewear. He is a jeans kind of guy and he felt they were warm enough for him. As I said, he did have waterproof pants that he wore once.

It is good to be prepared for all kinds of weather, but look carefully at your wardrobe and hopefully you will find you don't need to buy too many new clothing items.

Have a great trip!!!
__________________


HAL Volendam Alaska June 15, 2008
NCL POA Hawaii May 22, 2010
HAL Amsterdam Alaska August 5, 2011
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old July 23rd, 2012, 09:15 PM
vbmom87 vbmom87 is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 9,574
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando Vic View Post
Water repellant (not water proof) jackets should suffice. Of course, you might want a sweatshirt underneath.
In Hawaii my DH had a water repellant jacket and got soaked. I had my waterproof jacket and stayed nice and dry. I do not recommend water repellant jackets for anyone who will be outside rain or shine.
__________________


HAL Volendam Alaska June 15, 2008
NCL POA Hawaii May 22, 2010
HAL Amsterdam Alaska August 5, 2011
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old July 23rd, 2012, 09:15 PM
Ashland Ashland is offline
10,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Southern California by way of Kentucky
Posts: 12,110
Default

I overpacked for our May cruise...was I wrong...most of my winter clothes were never needed...the locals were in shirt sleeves
Reply With Quote

Ad Sponsored By
  #6  
Old July 23rd, 2012, 09:32 PM
rmats rmats is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 21
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbmom87 View Post
Check out Sierra Trading Post (google to find this online store)
I was going to post this. Also Google for their coupon codes. They usually have several available, sometimes up to 40% off entire order.

I am going next week and will be bringing plenty of Gore-Tex, fleece, SmartWool and moisture-wicking clothing. Avoid cotton at all costs!
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old July 23rd, 2012, 09:50 PM
Rustys Mom Rustys Mom is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 83
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbmom87 View Post
I see you are from NJ. You should have enough clothes that will work for Alaska. The main thing you may want to invest in is waterproof top layers. However, you need to think about what activities you will be doing to determine exactly what clothes you need. My DH and I were taking excursions where we would be outside a good part of the time. We also prefer to be out on the cruise ship deck for viewing the scenery rather than being inside the ship. Depending what you think you will be doing will determine how waterproof you need to go. Remeber that water repellent is not the same as waterproof. I always suggest that people buy from a store with a good return policy and leave the tags on. If you end up not wearing the clothing, you can return the items when you get home. If you are going on tours where you will always be in a bus and if you think you won't want to be spending time outside on deck, then you may not need to be concerned about water proof clothes.

If you feel you have no need for waterproof jackets, then buy yourself ponchos. I prefer jackets and waterproof pants, but if I felt it was the only time I would use the waterproof jackets, I would go for the cheaper ponchos. You can buy waterproof spray for your atheltic shoes and save money there if you don't want to buy new waterproof shoes. Not many people purchase waterproof pants, but we did and were glad we did. When we were at Hubbard Glacier there was a steady drizzle. We were able to stay out on the bow the entire time and we stayed dry. Others stayed inside, kept warm and dry and viewed the glacier from the windows.


Check out Sierra Trading Post (google to find this online store) for long underwear. They sometimes will also have waterproof jackets and pants. Their inventory changes, so you never know what you will find there.

I found relatively inexpensive breathable waterproof pants at LLBEAN when they were having a clearance on them. Otherwise LLBEAN is quite pricey. Others shop at Lands End, REI, Dick's Sporting Goods, Cabela's, etc. However, these are all pricey and more for the serious outdoors person, rather than the casaul traveller. However, they all have sales if you can be vigilant. Some people report finding clothing at Walmart, Kmart, Sears, etc.

For what it is worth, I bought and used long underwear on both of my trips to Alaska, but my DH never wore any long underewear. He is a jeans kind of guy and he felt they were warm enough for him. As I said, he did have waterproof pants that he wore once.

It is good to be prepared for all kinds of weather, but look carefully at your wardrobe and hopefully you will find you don't need to buy too many new clothing items.

Have a great trip!!!
Use this keycode AVU9697Z. It expires today and only good 3 times for 35% off and 2.50 shipping.
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/whi...colorFamily=02

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/whi...colorFamily=02
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/col...colorFamily=03

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/red...colorFamily=04
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/ter...colorFamily=42
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/col...colorFamily=03

Most of my wardrobe comes from here. Go up a size with the fleece hoody and you can wear it if there is just a light rain and cover it with the rain coat when it rains I went up a size on the rain pants too to fit comfortably over jeans. I am taking a silk bottom and layering my top half. I am taking a mock turtleneck as a base layer and also taking Asolo waterproof light hikers, some light weight gloves and Smartwool socks.
Barb
__________________


Alaska Holland America 1998
Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old July 24th, 2012, 01:05 AM
cellyml12's Avatar
cellyml12 cellyml12 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: S.F. Bay Area, California
Posts: 519
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbmom87 View Post
In Hawaii my DH had a water repellant jacket and got soaked. I had my waterproof jacket and stayed nice and dry. I do not recommend water repellant jackets for anyone who will be outside rain or shine.
I agree. BIG difference between water repellent & waterproof. You want waterproof.
__________________
Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old July 24th, 2012, 01:12 AM
bearbait bearbait is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Dangling from a moose's antlers
Posts: 1,671
Default

Long underwear not need until the 1st of October.
Reply With Quote

  #10  
Old July 24th, 2012, 05:35 AM
Keith1010 Keith1010 is offline
50,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 62,867
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvg1027 View Post
Hi,
We are going on the Statendam Sept 9 cruise and land for 11 days. My husband doesn't know this yet as I am surprising him at his 70th, (I'm 57) surprise birthday party next month with the gift.

I started researching what to wear and even though we do have some winter clothes we don't have a lot. I know that many have stated to layer which is what I plan on doing but, for the things I need to buy like thermal underwear and waterproof jackets, any suggestions of places to go to or to buy on line without breaking the bank? I am going for the jugular on this cruise since it has always been a dream of his to go to Alaska and I don't want to have to pay outrageous amounts for the clothes. Reason I say that is that I had done some research on the boards and some people have recommend some websites. Maybe it is just me but over $80 for thermal underwear seems a bit much. Any suggestions? Thanks.
I would pass on the thermal underwear.

I would be sure to have a waterproof jacket and if you have a fleece that is nice. A sweater or sweatshirt would work.

If you have a Dick Sporting Goods Store go there. REI is also a good option. Both have departments that sell items that are good for the outdoors. Another option is Sports Academy

In terms of web sites check out Magellan's and TravelSmith. Also, the three stores I mentioned above have web sites too.

Keith
Reply With Quote

  #11  
Old July 24th, 2012, 08:31 AM
geoherb geoherb is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Raleigh, N.C.
Posts: 9,019
Default

I bought good quality ponchos for our first Alaskan cruise. They came in handy the day we were in Juneau. It drizzled and rained the whole time we were there. I noticed several people with the dollar store style ponchos who were not staying as dry as we were. The other thing I was happy to have was waterproof shoes.
Reply With Quote

  #12  
Old July 24th, 2012, 10:27 AM
Alaskanb's Avatar
Alaskanb Alaskanb is offline
Blue Ribbon Cruiser
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 3,130
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustys Mom View Post
Use this keycode AVU9697Z. It expires today and only good 3 times for 35% off and 2.50 shipping.
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/whi...colorFamily=02

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/whi...colorFamily=02
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/col...colorFamily=03

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/red...colorFamily=04
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/ter...colorFamily=42
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/col...colorFamily=03

Most of my wardrobe comes from here. Go up a size with the fleece hoody and you can wear it if there is just a light rain and cover it with the rain coat when it rains I went up a size on the rain pants too to fit comfortably over jeans. I am taking a silk bottom and layering my top half. I am taking a mock turtleneck as a base layer and also taking Asolo waterproof light hikers, some light weight gloves and Smartwool socks.
Barb
I use Sierra Trading also and took the same items as Barb--used everything. It can get very chilly on Glacier Bay day so that is where the thermal bottoms come in--the silks were wonderful. I became a convert to smartwool socks --no itching and kept my feet just right. We used waterproofing spray on my husbands water repellent jacket and that worked well. Our big splurge was Trail raincoats from LLBean--they are often on sale and if you phone they may have colors and sizes that are not even in the on-line catalog--make sure you get a size large enough to fit over a fleece jacket. My waterproof shoes/low-hikers came from Marshalls--try them on with the socks you will wear. The difficulty on a cruise is drying things out if you do get soaked so being proactive and having a waterproof outer layer is a good thing.
__________________

Last edited by Alaskanb; July 24th, 2012 at 10:31 AM.
Reply With Quote

  #13  
Old July 24th, 2012, 10:31 AM
karatemom2's Avatar
karatemom2 karatemom2 is offline
Blue Ribbon Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 4,412
Default

I have been very pleased with the items I have purchased over the years at Lands End. Just got a new box from them the other day with some clothing items purchased for our upcoming Alaska cruise. I got great deals on their current sale!
__________________

Star Princess Alaska August 8-19, 2014 * Island Princess May 16-21, 2014 * Sapphire Princess March 31-April 3, 2014 * Sapphire Princess January 6-9, 2014 * Golden Princess Pacific Coast Thanksgiving November 27 - November 30, 2013 * Grand Princess Alaska August 8- August 18, 2013 * HAL Amsterdam Alaska July 27 - August 10, 2012 * Carinval Spirit Mexican Riviera March 30-April 8, 2012 * Caribbean Princess Canada/New England July 19 - July 28, 2011 * Golden Princess Hawaii December 22, 2010-January 5, 2011 * Sea Princess Alaska July 31-August 10, 2010 * Sapphire Princess Mexican Riviera March 27-April 3, 2010 * Golden Princess Hawaii December 20, 2009 -January 3, 2010 * Diamond Princess B2B Alaska June 20 - July 4, 2009 *NCL Star Mexican Riviera April 11-18, 2009 * Golden Princess Hawaii December 24, 2008-January 7, 2009 * RCCL Monarch of the Seas Pacific July 28-31, 2008 * Golden Princess Mexico April 12-19, 2008 * Diamond Princess Hawaii Dec 18, 2007-Jan 2, 2008 * Dawn Princess Alaska July 20-30, 2007 * RCCL Vision of the Seas Mexico November 19-26,2006 * NCL Star Alaska August 13-20, 2006 * Carnival Cruise Baja April 14-17, 2006 * DCL Western Cruise February 11-18, 2006 * DCL Cruise West Coast July 23-30, 2005
Reply With Quote

  #14  
Old July 24th, 2012, 10:38 AM
greatam greatam is offline
10,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Arizona/Missouri
Posts: 14,609
Default

Check out Ebay for motorcycle clothing. Rain suits are a staple for bike riders.

I have purchased 3 or 4 sets for DH for less than $40 per set. He hunts and fishes a lot and likes these light weight sets a lot better for quite a bit of the year rather than wearing his expensive (and heavy) Cabella's stuff.

The last ones I got had two cargo pockets in the jacket, velcro all over the place to get everything tight and a VERY nice roll up hood which fits into the collar of the jacket if you don't need it. I can't find the ones I purchased in April but this one is similar and the price is right. NOT fancy and NOT made for riding daily in heavy weather BUT certainly good enough for a trip to Alaska to keep you dry. They generally come in three or 4 color combinations.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RED-BLACK-RA...649f4f&vxp=mtr
Reply With Quote

  #15  
Old July 24th, 2012, 11:18 AM
gymjudge55 gymjudge55 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Powell, OH
Posts: 364
Default

Okay, I am a little 'fluffy' (size 18) and I am afraid the xl (normally buy 1X) will not fit. I can't find any that come in plus sizes . Any suggestions? I assume they will need to fit over jeans.
Reply With Quote

  #16  
Old July 24th, 2012, 11:46 AM
kayrob kayrob is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Philadelphia, United States
Posts: 75
Default

I'm from Jersey too. I just bought a raincoat made by Misty Harbor at Boscov's. It's waterproof with a hood and comes in several colors, size S-XL. Very cute and runs roomy. It was sold in the hosiery/sock dept. of my Boscov's. I got it on sale for 29.99 - it's normally 39.99. Perfect for my upcoming Alaska cruise. Good Luck and have a great trip.
Reply With Quote

  #17  
Old July 24th, 2012, 12:13 PM
Phalst Phalst is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: RI
Posts: 222
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvg1027 View Post
Hi,
We are going on the Statendam Sept 9 cruise and land for 11 days. My husband doesn't know this yet as I am surprising him at his 70th, (I'm 57) surprise birthday party next month with the gift.

I started researching what to wear and even though we do have some winter clothes we don't have a lot. I know that many have stated to layer which is what I plan on doing but, for the things I need to buy like thermal underwear and waterproof jackets, any suggestions of places to go to or to buy on line without breaking the bank? I am going for the jugular on this cruise since it has always been a dream of his to go to Alaska and I don't want to have to pay outrageous amounts for the clothes. Reason I say that is that I had done some research on the boards and some people have recommend some websites. Maybe it is just me but over $80 for thermal underwear seems a bit much. Any suggestions? Thanks.
We are leaving for Alaska in one week. We ordered through Amazon "Columbia Omni-tech waterproof breathable Storm Surge pants." The only color choice was black. The women's were $28 and the men's $29. Obviously we have not had an opportunity to try them, but the online reviews were positive and the Columbia brand was enough for us. We had tried and returned waterproof pants from Lands' End and Cabela's. In both instances the pants were more expensive and more like "snow pants": much more fabric and thicker than we wanted. The Columbia pants are "shells" and will be easy to pack.

We also purchased online rain jackets from L.L. Bean that ran small so we exchanged them at a nearby L.L. Bean store, bought a larger size and got a better discount at the store. While there I found some low, waterproof hikers on sale. Now that I'm ready for the Alaskan rain I figure we'll have sunshine the 10 days we're there! Small price to pay for great weather.
__________________



Reply With Quote

  #18  
Old July 24th, 2012, 12:49 PM
PNW Traveler PNW Traveler is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: WA State, USA
Posts: 351
Default

Sierra Trading Post is the best place to buy quality outdoor clothing brands at budget prices. Sometimes I do some additional reserach by looking on the brand's website for information or read additional user reviews on websites such as REI. Sierra Trading Post also has excellent customer service by telephone and can advise as to actual garment measurements to help you with size selection. When I am unsure I order the same item in more than one size. I try on the different sizes and return those I don't want to keep. Sierra has a great return policy and provides a prepaid UPS label. You'll be charged about $6 to make the return, no matter how many items are in your return box. Just make certain the items still have their attached tags and are in new condition. Brands I would check out for your Alaska trip are Smartwool (socks), Columbia, North Face, Marmot, Lowe. There are many others. My favorite layering fleece is from Mammut and although this brand is expensive, I was able to purchase it at a bargain price. I have purchased lightweight thermal items, rain gear, jackets, socks, hats, gloves, and all manner of outdoor clothing from Sierra Trading Post. I always check their website first because of the good prices. Caution, however - men's garments and shoes tend to sell out quickly on high demand items.
__________________
Serenade of the Seas Transatlantic April 2015
Celebrity Solstice Alaska Sept 5 2014
Celebrity Infinity Panama Canal 2012
Independence of the Seas Nov 2011 Med
9 RCI Cruises 1998-2010,
Hurtigruten Midnastol 2009
Cruise West 2003
Sea Princess 2000
American Queen 1998
Reply With Quote

  #19  
Old July 24th, 2012, 06:48 PM
Alaskanb's Avatar
Alaskanb Alaskanb is offline
Blue Ribbon Cruiser
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 3,130
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymjudge55 View Post
Okay, I am a little 'fluffy' (size 18) and I am afraid the xl (normally buy 1X) will not fit. I can't find any that come in plus sizes . Any suggestions? I assume they will need to fit over jeans.
Look at men's size pants--check the measurements to see what will fit best. I'm a size 14 and ended up w a men's large raincoat as the ladies L was too snug over a fleece and the XL would be too big. Call the customer service folks--they are a wonderful help.
I wore rain pants once--when we were whale watching in the pouring rain! In my opinion they are not as necessary as a waterproof jacket/rain coat and shoes.
__________________

Last edited by Alaskanb; July 24th, 2012 at 06:55 PM.
Reply With Quote

  #20  
Old July 24th, 2012, 08:52 PM
vbmom87 vbmom87 is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 9,574
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearbait View Post
Long underwear not need until the 1st of October.
I used it in June and August. And I am from Michigan!
__________________


HAL Volendam Alaska June 15, 2008
NCL POA Hawaii May 22, 2010
HAL Amsterdam Alaska August 5, 2011
Reply With Quote

Reply

Bookmarks


Ad Sponsored By
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:46 PM.


© 1995 - 2014, The Independent Traveler, Inc. All rights reserved.
"A Community of People Who Love To Cruise"
All of the information contained within Cruise Critic is protected by copyright. You may, however, download a single copy only for your personal use.