Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > UK Cruising > The Pub

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

The Pub
Chit-Chatter about just about anything with other UK Cruisers!

Old July 27th, 2012, 08:20 PM
10,000+ Club

Default Olympic Games

Well done my friends across the pond! I'm liking it! Love the firework rings.

We are connected by blood and history and I am proud of you guys and the effort being made for your Olympics.

Old July 27th, 2012, 08:30 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by BecciBoo View Post
Well done my friends across the pond! I'm liking it! Love the firework rings.

We are connected by blood and history and I am proud of you guys and the effort being made for your Olympics.

Thanks, Becci.
Way better than we thought it'd be.
And fingers & toes were crossed that the torch didn't expire.

JB
Hot News: A Sky TV commentator has been taken to the Tower of London in chains. He said the Queen's Corgi's were Beagles

Old July 27th, 2012, 09:48 PM
10,000+ Club

I just had to giggle at the James Bond bit when the "Queen" jumped out of the heli I imagine she thought that was fun. Even though we know it really wasn't her......too cute!

Old July 28th, 2012, 12:02 AM
10,000+ Club

Well, it just ended for us over here and I must say the real highlight for us was the torch ceremony. One of the best torches I ever saw and I've been watching since the 50's.

Again, Well done!

Old July 28th, 2012, 06:06 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BecciBoo View Post
I just had to giggle at the James Bond bit when the "Queen" jumped out of the heli I imagine she thought that was fun. Even though we know it really wasn't her......too cute!
It wasn't the Queen? But...but...

Ad Sponsored By
Old July 28th, 2012, 06:30 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassie55 View Post

But what I want to know is how did they keep her dress down covering her knees as she parachuted down?

Old July 28th, 2012, 07:58 AM
Cool Cruiser

The Queen always has small lead weights sewn into the hem of her dress so she is never embarrassed by a gust of wind lifting her skirts.
I didn´t like seeing Mohamed Ali at the opening ceremony, it was so sad to see his carer trying to get him to hold the flag or wave and he just couldn´t do it.

Sandy in Spain

Old July 28th, 2012, 07:12 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassie55 View Post

I think she probably thought it great fun to pretend.

Last edited by BecciBoo; July 28th, 2012 at 07:13 PM.

Old July 28th, 2012, 07:13 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by t60 View Post
The Queen always has small lead weights sewn into the hem of her dress so she is never embarrassed by a gust of wind lifting her skirts.
I didn´t like seeing Mohamed Ali at the opening ceremony, it was so sad to see his carer trying to get him to hold the flag or wave and he just couldn´t do it.

Sandy in Spain

Agree completely.

Old July 30th, 2012, 09:34 AM
Cool Cruiser

Just be thankful you don't live here in the West End near Hyde Park. Very few people around the shops either - usually their busiest time.

Roads up - noise - helicopters driving us mad - hopefully, I have put a stop to that!! Hovering above us for half-an-hour and the flat shaking -not on!! I took action (have tried before though) but 20 secs after my phone call to the police, they flew off and then just flew round. That's not so bad. Roads closed and empty Zil lanes!!

I think they should be held in Greece every four years. They need the money and already have the facilities standing there doing nothing!!

We couldn't get any tickets - only met one Londoner with tickets and he had them for the Opening Ceremony and four other events. How unfair is that? Has cost us £1000 each out of our London Council Tax and few of us have tickets!!

I enjoyed Mr. Bean, the Queen and giggled at Beckham thinking he was the bees knees in his motorboat!!

The Olympic flame cannot be seen in the Park unless you have athletic tickets. Ridiculous!! Also not impressed with the helter skelter - sorry the rather peculiar structure by Anish Kupoor called the Orbit.

Stadium looks lovely lit up at night though.

However, its really all about the sports and now the nonsense is out of the way, I can enjoy the sports. But I just don't feel its worth the billions its cost and in no way will be recouped!!

Sorry to be such a pessimist - but spending billions and elderly dying because £110 per week can't pay rent, food and heating!!

Old July 30th, 2012, 12:22 PM
Cool Cruiser

Never mind BMT, it will be all over in a few days!!
We just spent the weekend in London (our daughter lives there) and saw tennis at Wimbledon and hockey at the Olympic Park. We had tickets to go up the Orbit and all I can say is that the whole thing is stunning, IMHO - even down to the beautiful wild flower 'meadows' in the Olympic Park.
The transport arrangements were slick and we were through security in less than ten minutes on both days.
I agree about the ticket allocation, it was a shambles. There were whole blocks of seats unoccupied, even on the centre court. The tickets we had were from our daughter - our application was fruitless.

2004 Nile Cruise, 2007 Pride of America, Hawaii. 2008 Majesty of the Seas, Bahamas. 2008 Emerald Princess, Southern Caribbean. 2008 Mariner of the Seas, Eastern Caribbean. 2008 Mariner of the Seas, Western Caribbean. 2009 Noordam, Eastern Mediterranean. 2009 Noordam, Western Mediterranean. 2009 Costa Serena, Eastern Mediterranean. 2010 Costa Luminosa, Dubai and Emirates. 2010 Zuiderdam, Panama Canal. 2011 Caribbean Princess, Southern Caribbean. 2011 Caribbean Princess, Western Caribbean. 2011 Yangtse River Cruise. 2011 Nieuw Amsterdam, Eastern Caribbean. 2011 Nieuw Amsterdam, Western Caribbean. 2012 Star Princess, South America. 2012 Nieuw Amsterdam, Eastern Mediterranean. 2012 Ruby Princess, Transatlantic. 2013 Celebrity Solstice, Australia/NZ. 2013 Celebrity Solstice, NZ/Australia. 2013 Crown Princess, Norwegian Fjords. 2013 Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean. 2013 Emerald Princess, Southern Caribbean. 2014 Amsterdam, Alaska. 2014 Diamond Princess, Japan.

Old July 30th, 2012, 01:51 PM
Cool Cruiser

Well, having paid for it, I am now determined to see the facility!!

Soooooooo.... now have a ticket for the Para Dressage in Greenwich Park - the daughter of an old friend is competing. Cost £5 - ooh aah!!

Then booked for my 97 year old mum and myself for the para swimming and also the para athletics on the same day. That way we get to see the Olympic Stadium (don't know if the flame will still be there) and the Aquatic Centre - both for the princely sum of a tenner each!! Of course, we get free travel also, so can't beat that for a day out. Hoping that the paras will be quieter in the park to make it easier for Mum. Also hoping that I can get a wheelchair when we get there.

Old July 31st, 2012, 12:47 AM
Cool Cruiser

I enjoyed the ceremony but I thought the Queen had an "We are not amused" look on her face

Old August 3rd, 2012, 05:07 AM
Cool Cruiser

Got to admit im actually really getting into it now.

While there were problems originally with the thing, mainly it seemed those with money trying to make more out of this type of thing now its on to the actual sports themselves im loving it.

Watched a few sports i never thought i would like archery, handball and hockey aswell. Maybe this old cynic has been converted.

Old August 12th, 2012, 09:11 AM
Cool Cruiser

Although the Olympics have not yet concluded, I would like to congratulate London on a job well done. It was enjoyable seeing the venues tucked in among the amazing sights.
We are traveling to London and Edinburgh in May 2013. I am even more excited after watching the Jubilee and the Olympics.

Future cruises - Southern Caribbean back to back San Juan - Jan 2015Celebrity Summit

1983 World Explorer SS Universe to Alaska - 14 day
1986 Costa Riviera
1988 NCL Skyward
1991 Premier Majestic
1992 Premier Majestic
2001 NCL Seaward
2004 RCI Sovereign of the Sea
2005 RCI Splendour of the Sea
2005 Celebrity Zenith - Christmas at Sea
2006 Caribbean Princess - Christmas at Sea
2007 NCL Pearl - Christmas at Sea
2008 NCL Jewel - Christmas at Sea
2009 RCI Radiance of the Sea - Alaska Cruisetour cruise
2009 Star Princess Sept. 23 - Oct. 24, 2009 San Francisco to Sydney
2010 NCL Pearl - Pacific Coastal
2010 HAL Amsterdam - 1 night to Seattle
2010 Caribbean Princess - New England/Canada
2011 Golden Princess - 14 day LA to Hawaii
2011 Celebrity Infinity - 10 day Alaska RT Seattle
2011 RCI Navigator of the Sea - 6 nite - circle Cuba
2012 Golden Princess - LA to Hawaii
2012 Caribbean Princess - 12 nite - British Isles
2013 - Vantage River Venture - Rhine and Mosel - 14 nite River cruise - with a 500-year flood
2013 - NCL Dawn - Back to Back: Boston to Quebec to Boston
2014 - Crown Princess - Caribbean Islands - 14 nite
2014 - Crown Princess - Pacific Coastal Wine Cruise - 7 nite

Old August 12th, 2012, 09:08 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Bravo, UK!

Watching the Closing Ceremonies now (on tape delay) and can only say, "Good Show, Britain!" I know what a headache this all was for London and many villages, High Streets and motorways, but you pulled it off in grand style and even came away with many medals! Our Union flag flew from the house the whole time in your honor, irking a few neighbors I suppose. Well done!