Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > New Cruisers > First Time Cruisers

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

First Time Cruisers You May Also Want to Read: Over 4,000 Published Cruise Reviews by First Time Cruisers

Best advice for first-time cruisers; learn how to pick a cabin, find the best cruise bargain, tips on what to pack.

Browse Cruise Critic's First Time Cruiser Resources (articles)

Old July 30th, 2012, 07:59 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Meeting people etc

I have just been thinking about this as my DD is an adult now. She and I always do a lot together on cruises like shows etc and I was thinking if DH and I go alone what would I do. The answer I was coming to was this quote:
Quote:
In order to get the right mindset, do some thinking about whether you are more of a solo cruiser or a single cruiser and check out the boards for both. My guess is that for this cruise you might find yourself to be more of a semi-solo cruiser than a single cruiser. I'm now a solo cruiser because DH doesn't cruise. When I cruised with my mother I was a semi-solo cruiser - I did a lot of activities and excursions on my own or with others from the roll call.
Which I didn't write. Also, I don't go to bars at all but the bars on the cruise ships are so nice with good atmosphere that they aren't intimidating at all. On Crown Princess DD and I loved the Jazz bar. I think most ships have a more quiet option. Also, I don't know if anyone mentioned going to trivia or bingo that could be an ice breaker.

Kim in IL

Cruises:
The Big Red Boat October 1984 Honeymoon
Carnival Holiday Summer 1993
Carnival Tropicale Summer 1995
Princess 10 Year Anniversary December 1998
Holland America Rotterdam Mediterranean May/June 2005
Princess Anniversary Feb. 2006
RCCL Adventure of the Seas August 2009
Ruby Princess Christmas 2011

Old July 30th, 2012, 08:33 PM
Cool Cruiser

I found the best part of my cruise was that for the most part everyone is happy! If you do a few of the ships activities - crafts, dancing, we even had oragami!, you will meet others who are either solo or perhaps travelling with others doing other things. My cousin and I ended up meeting a couple different ladies in different activities that we hung out with the whole cruise.

Sea Princess ~ Alaska ~ May 13 - 23, 2012...First Cruise Completed! It was AWESOME!!
Celebrity Summit ~ Caribbean ~ Nov. 1 - 8, 2014...Yeah Man!

Old August 2nd, 2012, 05:06 PM
Cool Cruiser

I went solo to Alaska in May and am going solo to the Med twice. I was really nervous about Alaska, but I set up the meet and mingle and met a lot of great people. Go to the activities that interest you and you will meet people with the same interests.

I wasn't alone on the cruise except when I wanted to be.
One guy I played cards with asked if I knew everyone on the ship because as we were walking one afternoon, 4 people said Hi to me.

Go and have a great time!!
NCL Epic March 2013
NCL Jade October 2012
Crown Princess August 2012
Review for Sea Princess- Alaska 5/13-23 2012 http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1640072
NCL Pride of America Hawaii September 2007