Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > River Cruising

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

River Cruising Find Others on Your River Cruise! River Cruising Roll Calls

Old July 30th, 2012, 02:37 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Transfer from Budapest airport to boat

Does anyone know of a limo/taxi service that will pick us up at the airport and bring us to the boat? Viking is charging $120 one way for this and for that price I am thinking I could go in luxury instead of a bus! Also we are going to to take the train from Nuremberg to Munich and was wondering if taxi cabs are available right off the boat. Thanks!

Old July 30th, 2012, 03:15 PM
Cool Cruiser

Here is a web site with Budapest taxi/limo info.
http://www.bookinbudapest.com/en/air...FYTd4Aod1S8A0g

Old July 30th, 2012, 03:29 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonnh View Post
Here is a web site with Budapest taxi/limo info.
http://www.bookinbudapest.com/en/air...FYTd4Aod1S8A0g
Thanks - are you from NH? I am from the Seacoast.

Old July 30th, 2012, 04:12 PM
Cool Cruiser

Hi Jimmy - yes, I live in Jackson. Forgot to mention that once in Nuremberg, just tell the cruise director what time you would like to depart and he or she will call a cab for you. You mentioned Munich, we will be spending 4 days there early September after our S. France cruise.

Old July 30th, 2012, 04:19 PM
20,000+ Club

We used http://budapestairporttaxi.com/Welcome.html
from hotel to airport .there were 4 of us
But you could just as easily get a taxi from the front of the airport

Ad Sponsored By
Old July 30th, 2012, 05:10 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Wink I always take a taxi

and never use the transfers since I book air on own.Its much cheaper...and no wait for other passengers to go on bus.
I ve never had a problem with just getting taxi at airport in all the cities I ve visited YET..most even speak some English. Can never understand why someone would pay such a huge amount unless inc.with booked air,,which is another no no for me.Much cheaper and less hassle to book that on own too.Just get to ship ON TIME,,we always go 1 day before(minimum anyway)

Old July 30th, 2012, 05:38 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

We just returned and our taxi driver was waiting at the exit after we picked up our bags with our name on a sign. He couldn't speek much English but he was nice and got us right to our destination. It was about 20 bucks or so but we paid in local money we picked up when we landed.Budapest was wonderful and wish we arrived 5 days earlier instead of one. People were really friendly and a great city to explore. The airport is not really big and located right outside the city. Have a wonderful cruise.

Old July 31st, 2012, 12:45 PM
Cool Cruiser

We also used budapestairporttaxi.com on our transfer from airport to city center last year with great results. Driver is Alajos Pulai and we was great! His direct email is pulai31@gmail.com. He was prompt, professional, speaks good English. Met us with a sign at airport security exit, took care of getting our luggage and transported us to the Intercontinental Hotel on the Danube Pest side of the river. Very friendly and reasonable rates. Highly recommend his services!

Coral Princess Alaska 6/03,Caribbean Princess 9/04, Island Princess 3/05, Emerald Princess 3/10, Avalon Affinity 10/2010, Avalon Panorama 11/2011, Oceania Marina 5/2012, Avalon Affinity 10/2012, Oceania Marina 7/2013, Oceania Marina 4/2014, Oceania Marina 2/2015

Old July 31st, 2012, 01:55 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPCruiser View Post
We also used budapestairporttaxi.com on our transfer from airport to city center last year with great results. Driver is Alajos Pulai and we was great! His direct email is pulai31@gmail.com. He was prompt, professional, speaks good English. Met us with a sign at airport security exit, took care of getting our luggage and transported us to the Intercontinental Hotel on the Danube Pest side of the river. Very friendly and reasonable rates. Highly recommend his services!
We reserved through Pulai, but had a different driver. He was fluent in English and pointed out various sites on the way as well as answering our questions.

AMAWaterways Danube Cruise 2010
RCCL Legend of the Seas Mediterranean Cruise 2008
Celebrity Century Arctic Cruise 2007

Old July 31st, 2012, 01:57 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Options other than Viking

We just did a Viking River European Cruise + had the Budapest city where we ended up. Everyone else was getting off the ship so we just paired up with another couple to grab a cab to the airport. In reverse for you, since you wont know anyone yet, the cab fare was about 30 euros to get from ship to airport. We left the ship at 10.30 a.m. so road traffic was quite lite.

Be wary of all the extras that viking offers. We did the Grand European trip and we are early 60's so we had energy to handle the walks etc and our final opinion of Viking is a 5 out of 10. The older ships are way too old to continue being in service but when they can still make a dollar they will. Good luck.

Old August 1st, 2012, 10:20 PM
Cool Cruiser

Based on the above advice, I emailed Pulai directly and he answered right away, and we will be using him to get from the airport to our B&B. For the few extra forints, it will be worth it to have somebody waiting for us with some personality and reliability who will also be able to point things out on the way. It will also be nice meeting someone that we like that we could also use during our stay to get to the baths, or the opera, and other sights, as well as getting us to the ship from our hotel on our final day. I am usually a big proponent of using public transportation wherever we travel. However due to the cold weather in Dec., some mobility issues, and our limited time there, it seems like money well spent. Will let you know after the trip!

Old August 2nd, 2012, 08:12 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesterscourt View Post
Based on the above advice, I emailed Pulai directly and he answered right away, and we will be using him to get from the airport to our B&B. For the few extra forints, it will be worth it to have somebody waiting for us with some personality and reliability who will also be able to point things out on the way. It will also be nice meeting someone that we like that we could also use during our stay to get to the baths, or the opera, and other sights, as well as getting us to the ship from our hotel on our final day. I am usually a big proponent of using public transportation wherever we travel. However due to the cold weather in Dec., some mobility issues, and our limited time there, it seems like money well spent. Will let you know after the trip!
Glad to hear that you are settled. In Budapest there are some places that are easier to reach by walking or taxi than public transportation. Plus your driver can give you local information about your sites.The trams can get pretty packed. Like other large cities than can be pick pockets on crowded trams as we were prewarned. We never had ANY problems at all and loved the friendly locals we encountered.

Old August 2nd, 2012, 06:43 PM
Cool Cruiser

Grand isle Joe, did you also use budapestairporttaxi.com (Pulai)? You said your driver spoke limited English. That doesn't sound like Pulai unless he sent someone in his place.

Old August 2nd, 2012, 09:23 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyfan View Post
Does anyone know of a limo/taxi service that will pick us up at the airport and bring us to the boat? Viking is charging $120 one way for this and for that price I am thinking I could go in luxury instead of a bus! Also we are going to to take the train from Nuremberg to Munich and was wondering if taxi cabs are available right off the boat. Thanks!
We landed in Budapset on 7/16/12 and used this man. Very nice, waited for us as we had lost luggage. It was $ 39.00 for two of us from airport to Sofitel Hotel.
Pulai Alajos
Web: http://budapestairporttaxi.com
Cell Phone:+36 20 574 4546
Voip phone: +19175467685

Old August 2nd, 2012, 09:26 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default taxi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPCruiser View Post
We used the same guy. Very nice.

Old August 2nd, 2012, 09:32 PM
20,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by goleta View Post
We landed in Budapset on 7/16/12 and used this man. Very nice, waited for us as we had lost luggage. It was $ 39.00 for two of us from airport to Sofitel Hotel.
WOW
We paid 24 Euro from Hotel to airport for 4 pax with luggage with him

Old August 3rd, 2012, 11:12 AM
Cool Cruiser

For me it was definitely worth the cost to be met and to have someone fluent in English. I really couldn't understand the language or the signs at first.

AMAWaterways Danube Cruise 2010
RCCL Legend of the Seas Mediterranean Cruise 2008
Celebrity Century Arctic Cruise 2007

Old August 3rd, 2012, 06:07 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesterscourt View Post
Grand isle Joe, did you also use budapestairporttaxi.com (Pulai)? You said your driver spoke limited English. That doesn't sound like Pulai unless he sent someone in his place.
No Jesterscourt I did not use that service. I can't recall now but I'm sure I have the documentation with my travel info. Hope everything is wonderful.

Old August 3rd, 2012, 09:51 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHT28 View Post
WOW
We paid 24 Euro from Hotel to airport for 4 pax with luggage with him

Opps................it was $ 29.00. Typo!

Old August 3rd, 2012, 09:51 PM
Cool Cruiser

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by goleta View Post

Opps................it was $ 29.00. Typo!

OOPS! more typos.