Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > North American Homeports > East Coast Departures > Florida Departures

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Florida Departures
Ft. Lauderdale, Jacksonville, Miami & Port Canaveral & Tampa

Old July 27th, 2012, 12:34 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Kennedy Space Center question (Canaveral)

I've researched enough to discover that, while I originally wanted to do the Royal Caribbean excursion to the Kennedy Space Center on the last day of our cruise after disembarking because it's a cool trip AND it includes the transfers to the Orlando airport, I've read that not only does it get cancelled more often than not (due to lack of sign-ups) but that people swear it's just cheaper and easier to rent a car and do it yourself. It's only mildly cheaper, from what I've found... and I guess knowing that it could be cancalled the day before, leaving me without airport transfers, I might as well book it myself.

I see that it's about 20 minutes/15 miles from the port at Canaveral? Is that right?

Arrive back into port ~6:00am
Be off boat by ~7:30am
At rental car by ~8am
At KSC ~9am

Am I under estimating? Is there enough time to enjoy the KSC if I have a flight that leaves Orlando at 4pm and have to be there at ~2pm to drop off the car and check-in?

Thank you!!!

Ad Sponsored By
Old July 27th, 2012, 01:28 PM
10,000+ Club

You could spend all day there, but you'll be able to see most of what you want in the about 4 hours you have allotted. You can save some t ime by purchasing tickets in advance - some have reported discounted or free tickets were obtained via their congressman?

Good luck!

Old July 30th, 2012, 10:29 AM
Cool Cruiser

Great! I think we'll give it a shot. Thank you!

And I did email my congressman last night so we'll see how that goes... It's probably not enough time since we leave in ~two months. But it's worth a shot!

Thanks so much!!!

Old July 31st, 2012, 08:12 PM
Cool Cruiser

on the Kennedy space center website there is an offer for online ticket ordering for $5 pp off if you enter "MISSION" in the coupon code area.

Old August 1st, 2012, 10:24 AM
Cool Cruiser

Just a heads up in that you will not get to see much in just a few hours. In the end, it will end up being a waste of money (JMO). This is something that you really need all day for. We spent 8 hrs there just last year and still could have spent another 1-2.

Keep in mind, that you also catch a bus over to the Observatory, which will take extra time. Last year we waited nearly 30 min for a bus, even though their website says they come through every 15 min. We weren't in any big hurry, so it was not a big deal for us. In your case though, it would be a HUGE deal if they are not on time.

Also, arriving to MCO at 2pm, with a 4pm departure is a little too close for me (another JMO).

The Space Center is great to see, so if you go, have a great time! It will be short though and you may not enjoy it as much since you will be watching the clock constantly.

Old August 1st, 2012, 10:33 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennmaybe View Post
Also, arriving to MCO at 2pm, with a 4pm departure is a little too close for me (another JMO).
Seriously? Two hours isn't enough time?! I've flown internationally back when things were tight after 9/11 and it was fine. It really isn't enough? Holy cow! Thanks for the tip!

ETA: And thanks for the other tips as well. That's all good to know!

Last edited by SailingJewel; August 1st, 2012 at 10:33 AM.

Old August 2nd, 2012, 12:16 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingJewel View Post
Seriously? Two hours isn't enough time?! I've flown internationally back when things were tight after 9/11 and it was fine. It really isn't enough? Holy cow! Thanks for the tip!

ETA: And thanks for the other tips as well. That's all good to know!
Does that 2 hrs include dropping the car off? That's why I was saying it was a little too close for me. If you plan to drop the car off and still have 2 hrs, you should be ok. Sometimes it can take a while to drop rental cars off, (especially in Orlando) so just allow yourself plenty of time after your turn the car back in.

Old August 3rd, 2012, 09:32 AM
Cool Cruiser

We had a 5:30 flight out coming off of the Freedom.
Private transportation was $150 for 3 of us to KSC
then on to MCO.

We used Executive vip limo.

We spent 5 hours at KSC 9-2 which was great.