Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Special Interest Cruising > Solo Cruisers

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Solo Cruisers Do you leave your cares -- and everyone -- behind when you cruise?
Don't Miss Cruise Critic's Best Cruises for Solo Travelers and Cruise Welcome Mat for Solo Cruisers

Old August 3rd, 2012, 02:30 PM
Cool Cruiser

News of Egon, from Steve to Yellowbird to you...

Egon 02 August 2012

Hi all you wonderful people... I have only good news to report (well, mostly good news): Egon went through the surgery without significant difficulties. The tumor was large and deeply embedded and the procedure took twice as long as expected but was fully successful. There is no doubt this was cancerous (and they have sent the entire scrapings for testing to determine the type of cancer), but there will be no radiation treatment due to his age and the inherent side effects.

The operation was actually on Tuesday, and it now appears that he may be released from prison tomorrow since next Monday is a holiday in Canada and so there will be no services for the three day weekend. It is best that he be home then where he can receive some stimulation. It has however not been decided for sure that he is well enough to be discharged and i will not know until sometime tomorrow.

While his speech is still essentially non existent, his writing and typing has improved some. I do not see though that he will be able to compose and send an email on his own for a few more days at least. I am also unsure that his cognitive abilities have not been affected to some degree by the stroke as his thinking processes seem to be just a little less than optimum. Physically he is close to where he was before both significant events of the past eleven days.

And that is about it. He has read most all of the many emails of concern and good wishes & prayers and is most appreciative - as am I. I am quite sure that he will want to communicate directly as soon as he is more able to do so. Meantime know that he is aware of you all and that he will be most pleased to have a home cooked meal (yes, prepared by me ;-) )

Warm Regards ~ Steve

Durch Google Uebersetzung:

Hallo alles, was Sie wunderbare Menschen ... Ich habe nur gute Nachrichten zu vermelden (na ja, meistens gute Nachricht): Egon ging durch die Operation ohne nennenswerte Schwierigkeiten. Der Tumor war groß und tief eingebetteten, und die Prozedur dauerte doppelt so lange wie erwartet, aber war wirklich erfolgreich. Es besteht kein Zweifel war dies krebsartige (und sie haben die ganze scrapings zum Testen, um die Art von Krebs festzustellen geschickt), aber es wird keine Strahlenbehandlung wegen seines Alters und die damit verbundenen Nebenwirkungen.

Die Operation war eigentlich am Dienstag, und es scheint jetzt, dass er aus dem Gefängnis befreien kann morgen da am kommenden Montag ist ein Feiertag in Kanada und so wird es keine Dienstleistungen für die 3 Tage Wochenende. Am besten ist es, dass er zu Hause sein, wo er dann einige Anregung empfangen können. Es hat sich jedoch nicht mit Sicherheit entschieden worden, dass er gut genug, um entlassen werden soll, und ich werde erst irgendwann morgen wissen.

Während seiner Rede ist noch immer im wesentlichen nicht existent, hat sein Schreiben und Tippen etwas verbessert. Ich sehe nicht, obwohl, die er in der Lage zu schreiben und senden Sie eine E-Mail auf seinem eigenen für ein paar Tage wenigstens. Ich bin auch nicht sicher, dass seine kognitiven Fähigkeiten nicht haben zu einem gewissen Grad wurde vom Schlaganfall betroffenen als seine Denkprozesse zu sein nur ein wenig kleiner als optimale scheinen. Körperlich ist er in der Nähe, wo er war, bevor beide bedeutende Ereignisse der letzten 11 Tage.

Und das ist über es. Er hat fast alle der vielen E-Mails von Sorge und die guten Wünsche und Gebete zu lesen und ist sehr dankbar - wie auch Ich. Ich glaube sicher, dass er möchte direkt, sobald er mehr dazu in der Lage ist zu kommunizieren bin. Inzwischen wissen, dass er von Ihnen ist alles, und dass er sich Freut, eine hausgemachte Mahlzeit haben (ja, vorbereitet von mir ;-) )

Herzliche Grüße von Steve

--

http://home.cablerocket.com/~egon/index.htm

Egon with Brandy at Steve's (2) July 18 2012

Old August 3rd, 2012, 02:47 PM
Cool Cruiser

God bless, Egon! I greatly admire this wonderful man and send much love and healing light his way.
Pat

Old August 3rd, 2012, 02:56 PM
Cool Cruiser

That certainly was good news. I hope Egon doesn't become too frustrated before he gets his speech back.

Old August 3rd, 2012, 02:57 PM
Cool Cruiser

They power of prayer is great! Hang in there Egon, we love you and miss your emails. Typing and the thought process will get easier when he is home with his family.

Don't give up Egon, you are an inspiration to all of us.

Thanks Steve, Pat and Doug for the updates.

Previous Cruises:
Canada/NE 13 nights - Eurodam 2012
Hawaii 17 nights - Zaandam 2011
Alaska 14 nights - Amsterdam 2010
Alaska 7 nights - Volendam 2009

Old August 3rd, 2012, 03:37 PM
Cool Cruiser

Steve, Pat and Doug - Thank you so much for the update.

Egon - I am so glad to hear the good news. My prayers are with you everyday. Our prayer circle will keep our arms wrapped around you with prayers for you and your family.

God Bless You, Egon!!!

Last edited by nonna5; August 3rd, 2012 at 03:39 PM.

Old August 3rd, 2012, 06:14 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Default an e-mail

I got a personal e-mail from Egon so he must be feeling much better. I can't wait until he can get back to his normal self.

Thanks all for the nice comment. It is my pleasure.
p

Old August 3rd, 2012, 07:03 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Just got this too from Egon:
out of the hospital. love egon

Yeah!!

Old August 3rd, 2012, 07:19 PM
5,000+ Club

It is amazing that at his age he has been able to recover from a stroke and then undergo major surgery and make it home in only a few days!
MOS/WGIG #104

Friend of Henry

NCL Leeward to Canada,RCL Song of America to Bermuda,HAL Veendam to Eastern Caribbean,HAL Statendam to Southern Carribbean,NCL Norweigan Crown to Bermuda,HAL Veendam to Western Caribbean,NCL Wind to Alaska,Orient Lines Orient Crown to Mediterranean,NCL Sky to Alaska,Celebrity Zenith to Caribbean,HAL Noordam to Exotic Caribbean,Celebrity Galaxy B2B Baltimore to Galveston, Sun Princess to Caribbean Oct 29,05, RCL Jewel of the Seas Transatlantic Apr.30,06, Carnival Liberty Mediterranean Oct, 06RCL Radiance of the Seas Circle Hawaii Sept 28,2007, Mustard of the Seas F2F Chicago July 25,2008,Monarch of the Seas, LA to Mex. Sept. 8, 2008, Celebrity Constellation, Repo NJ to FL Oct 30, 2008,
RCI Enchantment of the Seas, Colon Panama to Ft. Lauderdale, April 19, 2009Majesty of the Seas, Dec. 14th, 2009
Radiance of the Seas, Mexican Riviera, Feb.12, 2010
Emerald Princess, Southern Caribbean, Oct. 29, 2010
Majesty of the Seas, Dec. 12, 2011, bahamas
Explorer of the Seas to Bermuda, Oct.2013
Celebrity Century to the Caribbean, 2/15/14-2/23/14

Old August 3rd, 2012, 07:54 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowbird23 View Post
Just got this too from Egon:
out of the hospital. love egon

Yeah!!
Wonderful wonderful news.

Thanks so much for keeping us updated.

Old August 3rd, 2012, 08:21 PM
Cool Cruiser

Wonderful news!!! He is, indeed, a trooper. My thanks also to Pat and Doug and the fact that he sent you an email Pat is really encouraging. We'll keep our arms wrapped around him in prayer!

Sue

Old August 3rd, 2012, 08:38 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjbear View Post
Wonderful news!!! He is, indeed, a trooper. My thanks also to Pat and Doug and the fact that he sent you an email Pat is really encouraging. We'll keep our arms wrapped around him in prayer!

Sue
I have received several since this one. Guess he's getting bored! That's a good thing, right?

Old August 3rd, 2012, 10:46 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
I have received several since this one. Guess he's getting bored! That's a good thing, right?

thanks Pat, Doug and Steve for the updates.
vacation = cruising

PAST CRUISES:
Grandeur of the Seas (Royal) April 2014 The Bahamas
Crown Princess (Princess) Jan 2014 S Caribbean
Liberty of the Seas (Royal) Dec 2013 Jamaica & Haiti
Glory (Carnival) Oct 2013 New England/Canada
Coral (Princess) April 2013 Panama Canal
Sapphire Princess (Princess) November 2012 Mexican Rivera
Oasis of the Seas (Royal) October 2012 E Caribbean
Rhapsody of the Seas (Royal) May 2012 Alaska
Sapphire (Princess) Feb 2012 Mexico Rivera
Sapphire (Princess) Sept 2011 repo Vancouver to LA
Golden (Princess) June 2011 Alaska
Enchantment of the Seas (Royal) April 2011 The Bahamas
Radiance of the Seas (Royal) April 2010 Mexico Rivera
Elation (Carnival) Oct 2008 Baja Mexico
Dawn (Princess) Sept 2008 Alaska
Miracle (Carnival) Jan 2007 W Caribbean
Voyager Of The Sea (Royal) Jan 2004
Ocean (Princess) Sept 2001 Alaska
Costa Cruise Dec 1993 Caribbean
Sun Viking (Royal) Oct 1988 Southern Caribbean

Old August 3rd, 2012, 11:12 PM
5,000+ Club

I wish I could take Egon some chocolate covered strawberries and champagne to cheer him up.

Old August 4th, 2012, 12:22 PM
Cool Cruiser

Wonderful news! But we've got to keep our prayers going. As active and bright as Egon is, the recovery process is going to be tough! Steve - you are in my prayers too. Being the caretaker is tougher than most people realize but know this - we all appreciate your efforts! In my book, you're looking after precious cargo. Would that there were more people of Egon's make-up! God bless . . . .

Old August 6th, 2012, 08:53 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Default Update from Egon

I got the following to all this evening from Egon:

What a wonderful, phenomal, and fanstastic friends I have, I am rich! From far and wide are their emails, wishing speeding recovery, prayer and love - would be impossible in my present condititon to thank them individually and would many month. So to each of your, my heartfelt thanks, I love you all as you have loved me too.
I am wirting this with diffiltulties.

Last edited by Nanny5; August 6th, 2012 at 08:55 PM.

Old August 6th, 2012, 10:07 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
I got the following to all this evening from Egon:

What a wonderful, phenomal, and fanstastic friends I have, I am rich! From far and wide are their emails, wishing speeding recovery, prayer and love - would be impossible in my present condititon to thank them individually and would many month. So to each of your, my heartfelt thanks, I love you all as you have loved me too.
I am wirting this with diffiltulties.
Thanks Pat.

Wonderful news from Egon. Prayer is powerful and God is great.

Old August 6th, 2012, 10:35 PM
Cool Cruiser

Wow, that's awesome news, thanks Pat!! That was a very clear email, really amazing for what all he's been through. Please tell him the Egon Fan Club is rooting for him, we love him, and are sending him prayers and positive thoughts!!

Carnival Dream - 5-18-14 - Western Caribbean 7 day (Roatan, Belize, Cozumel)
NCL Sun - 2-13-14 - Southern Caribbean 11 day
(Aruba, Barbados, Curaçao, Guadaloupe, St. Thomas)
Carnival Triumph - 12-7-13 - Western Caribbean 5 day
(Progreso, Cozumel)
NCL Star - 2-10-13 - Western Caribbean 7 day (Costa Maya, Belize, Roatan, Cozumel)
Carnival Triumph - 11-5-12 - Western Caribbean 5 day (Progreso, Cozumel)
RCI Freedom of the Seas - 4-8-12 - Eastern Caribbean 7 day (CocoCay, St. Maarten, St. Thomas)
NCL Spirit - 2-12-12 - Western Caribbean 7 day (Costa Maya, Belize, Roatan, Cozumel)
NCL Spirit - 2-13-11 - Western Caribbean 7 day (Costa Maya, Belize, Roatan, Cozumel)
Carnival Ecstacy - long time ago - Western Caribbean 4 day (Cozumel)

Old August 7th, 2012, 05:30 AM
Cool Cruiser

Such good news. Looks like our Egon is doing well so far. Am thinking of him too and wish him a full and speedy recovery. God Bless him.
Grand Princess, 27 February 2009 (Oh Yeah)
Monarch of the Seas, 22 March 2010 (and WDW afterwards). Fingers Crossed! YES, made it.
Emerald Princess, 7 April to 16 May 2011 (B2B2B -(fingers crossed again). Had to cancel 7 and 27 April due to bereavement. Still hope to do 17 April. Made the 17th April with daughter, son and girlfriend. Scattered DH's ashes at sea, as he wanted.

Celebrating our 45th Anniversary on the Emerald. Did get there for anniversary but not quite as we'd planned.

Noordam 1st March 2013 for 21 days

Noordam 28th February 2014

Old August 7th, 2012, 04:38 PM
Cool Cruiser

I only found this thread a few days ago, but couldn't stop reading! Thank you to all the people that have kept it going!

What an amazing man! From starting off by himself for a year on a cruise ship and continuing his adventure the next year with his trip to Mexico, followed by cruising on several ships plus all the problems he encountered along the way. I admire his problem solving: from theft, a missing passport and the health set backs he had. Egon is a role model for all cruisers (not just singles). I was saddened that he had to abandon his latest adventure due to health problems and at the same time glad that he made the choice to return to Canada and his son for the treatment he needed for the cancer. The unexpected stroke was terrible but could have been worse if he was on the other side of the world or cruising home. I am sorry Egon did not have the opportunity to cruise on Princess (my favourite line). It would have been a pleasure to sail on the same ship as Egon-- to meet him, listen to him play the piano and to play Scrabble with him.

Pat, when you email Egon, would you please convey my thoughts and prayers for a speedy and complete recovery from his stroke. He is an inspiration for all of us seniors to live each day to the fullest!

cnd crsr Gail

Old August 7th, 2012, 06:03 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnd crsr View Post
I only found this thread a few days ago, but couldn't stop reading! Thank you to all the people that have kept it going!

What an amazing man! From starting off by himself for a year on a cruise ship and continuing his adventure the next year with his trip to Mexico, followed by cruising on several ships plus all the problems he encountered along the way. I admire his problem solving: from theft, a missing passport and the health set backs he had. Egon is a role model for all cruisers (not just singles). I was saddened that he had to abandon his latest adventure due to health problems and at the same time glad that he made the choice to return to Canada and his son for the treatment he needed for the cancer. The unexpected stroke was terrible but could have been worse if he was on the other side of the world or cruising home. I am sorry Egon did not have the opportunity to cruise on Princess (my favourite line). It would have been a pleasure to sail on the same ship as Egon-- to meet him, listen to him play the piano and to play Scrabble with him.

Pat, when you email Egon, would you please convey my thoughts and prayers for a speedy and complete recovery from his stroke. He is an inspiration for all of us seniors to live each day to the fullest!

cnd crsr Gail
Nice message Gail. All in a nutshell. I have sent it to Egon to brighten his day. Thanks.