Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Azamara Club Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Azamara Club Cruises
Find Your Azamara Club Cruises Roll Call

Old August 4th, 2012, 07:32 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Daypacks and moneybelts- need opinions

Not sure where to ask and since we're on Journey next month, I was hoping someone could give some help. I've been looking at daypacks and moneybelts and there are many brands to choose from. Suggestions on what to look for would be so appreciated
Century 02/02
Tahitian Princess 01/03
Century 01/04
Tahitian Princess 01/05
Tahitian Princess 01/08
Eclipse 12/10
Journey 9/12

Old August 4th, 2012, 09:18 PM
Cool Cruiser

Carry your money and credit cards in a wallet that hangs around your neck and wear it under your blouse. Put a small amount of cash in a front pocket for tips, Metro, snacks, etc.

Old August 4th, 2012, 09:57 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Pac Safe Purse.

I have a Pac Safe purse which I really like. There are many styles to choose from. Divide up money between the two of you. Be smart. Dont flash money or appear to fumble around. only carry enough money for the day.

Old August 4th, 2012, 10:51 PM
Cool Cruiser

I just recently read some safety tips on Europe travel...they advised against NOT carrying a backpack...very easily slit with a knife. People are crafty and have been pick pocketing, etc. in Europe for years. Another thing to be on the alert for is the gypsy children...they are smart and quick. I plan wearing something around my neck large enough for a camera, credit card, identification and only needed items when out and about. I hold on to it so if the strap would be cut I still have the little purse in hand. I always follow safety precautions at home...but when we travel I'm even more prudent. Hubby carries things in a front pocket...nothing behind him.

09-01-2012 Azamara Journey French & Italian Rivieras

09-03-2013 Celebrity Silhouette Eastern Med & Greek Isles

09-20-2014 Azamara Journey Tuscany & Amalfi Coast

09-27-2014 Azamara Journey Sicily & Malta

Old August 4th, 2012, 10:53 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurieb View Post
Not sure where to ask and since we're on Journey next month, I was hoping someone could give some help. I've been looking at daypacks and moneybelts and there are many brands to choose from. Suggestions on what to look for would be so appreciated
Which cruise are you on next month?

09-01-2012 Azamara Journey French & Italian Rivieras

09-03-2013 Celebrity Silhouette Eastern Med & Greek Isles

09-20-2014 Azamara Journey Tuscany & Amalfi Coast

09-27-2014 Azamara Journey Sicily & Malta

Ad Sponsored By
Old August 5th, 2012, 12:23 AM
Cool Cruiser

Sept 23rd Journey, same itinerary as you. The daypack will be used solely for water, guidebooks, towels etc.
Century 02/02
Tahitian Princess 01/03
Century 01/04
Tahitian Princess 01/05
Tahitian Princess 01/08
Eclipse 12/10
Journey 9/12

Old August 5th, 2012, 11:16 AM
10,000+ Club

Thumbs up

never had a problem in Europe. just got back.. now South America is a different ballgame..

Old August 5th, 2012, 12:01 PM
Cool Cruiser

My DH and I both have and wear neck wallets so we think those are best. We both wore them while touring in Amsterdam before boarding Journey last month. Are you aware that two women on the Journey cruise before ours were pickpocketed while on an Azamare shore excursion in Brugge?
Whatever safety method you decide on, be aware of your surroundings and that someone could be targetting you for a robbery. We were approached by gypsies with children when leaving a cruise ship in Aarhus, Denmark, in 2006, and my husband was jostled on a train to the Acropolis in Athens in 2008. Better safe than sorry.

Old August 5th, 2012, 12:42 PM
Cool Cruiser

I purchased a Scottevest travel vest after I had my wallet taken out of a zippered pocket in a pocketbook strapped across my body on the Athens subway (I felt it happening and got my wallet back, but that's another story ....I'm tougher than I must have looked.)

I love it. Everything I need fits in one of the 14 inside pockets. Zip the vest up, and no one's getting in. I've stopped traveling with a pocketbook or fanny pack. Hubs keeps most of his money and credit cards in a money belt under his clothes. He's seen my travel vest in action, and now he's got one, too.

No, I don't work for, own stock in, or get anything for touting the product. It just works really well for me.

Old August 5th, 2012, 01:34 PM
10,000+ Club

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwerin View Post
My DH and I both have and wear neck wallets so we think those are best. We both wore them while touring in Amsterdam before boarding Journey last month. Are you aware that two women on the Journey cruise before ours were pickpocketed while on an Azamare shore excursion in Brugge?

I was on both cruises and in Brugges. had no problems in either city. .brugges boring ship tour and later shopping. .A-dam i was alone for hours walking all over. i never been afraid in europe but in Rio -YES!! went all oer alone in B.A too. no jewelry of any kind but had money and camera as i was out shopping...
like noro virus at some point if you travel a lot there wil lbe problems but i go with i am ok feeling and wil lbe safe. been out of country at least 14 or 15 times so far.

Old August 5th, 2012, 02:53 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellbon View Post
I was on both cruises and in Brugges. had no problems in either city. .brugges boring ship tour and later shopping. .A-dam i was alone for hours walking all over. i never been afraid in europe but in Rio -YES!! went all oer alone in B.A too. no jewelry of any kind but had money and camera as i was out shopping...
I think it does a disservice to minimize the exposure to being picked in European cities. We've been on land tours where others in the group have been picked in Prague and other major European cities.

In Budapest our tour group was given a lecture by a senior officer of the city's police department on how to avoid being picked, because it was a frequent occurrence with tourists. Barcelona is notorious for pickpockets (a friend we were with was subjected to the infamous jostling of his hip and front pockets while riding up an escalator, but his neck wallet was under his shirt and jacket and therefore secure), and friends with whom we were traveling in Paris were in the process of being set up for a pick at the far end of a Metro station before we alerted them to what was about to happen.

I wouldn't be "afraid" to walk in a major European city (we do it all the time), but I'd certainly not carry my valuables in an exposed pocket or in a bag of some sort slung over a shoulder or draped around my neck, or in a fanny pack. Lastly, don't even consider one of those bags with a metal cable in the strap to supposedly prevent its being cut. A woman we met on a cruise had one and a motorcyclist came by and grabbed the bag, dragging her for two blocks before stopping. She suffered permanent physical damage as a result, and subsequently became unable to travel.

Last edited by marinaro44; August 5th, 2012 at 02:56 PM.

Old August 5th, 2012, 03:15 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinaro44 View Post
I think it does a disservice to minimize the exposure to being picked in European cities. We've been on land tours where others in the group have been picked in Prague and other major European cities.

In Budapest our tour group was given a lecture by a senior officer of the city's police department on how to avoid being picked, because it was a frequent occurrence with tourists. Barcelona is notorious for pickpockets (a friend we were with was subjected to the infamous jostling of his hip and front pockets while riding up an escalator, but his neck wallet was under his shirt and jacket and therefore secure), and friends with whom we were traveling in Paris were in the process of being set up for a pick at the far end of a Metro station before we alerted them to what was about to happen.

I wouldn't be "afraid" to walk in a major European city (we do it all the time), but I'd certainly not carry my valuables in an exposed pocket or in a bag of some sort slung over a shoulder or draped around my neck, or in a fanny pack. Lastly, don't even consider one of those bags with a metal cable in the strap to supposedly prevent its being cut. A woman we met on a cruise had one and a motorcyclist came by and grabbed the bag, dragging her for two blocks before stopping. She suffered permanent physical damage as a result, and subsequently became unable to travel.
I agree with you. One can't get paranoid, but some simple steps to give a better chance of being secure and having an awareness of what is going on around you can really help. I do try to be as sharp as possible especially when in a city like Barcelona or walking the Ponte Vecchio in Florence for instance. Unfortunately travel can make you tired and goofy and can catch you out. On Quest last year arriving at Athens airport at the end of the cruise some friends we'd made on the ship had one of their passports stolen from a bag. A bad end to a great trip.

Phil

Old August 5th, 2012, 03:54 PM
Cool Cruiser

We also love Scottevest. My husband wore the vest in Portugal, Spain and Italy and had no problems (we witnessed a robbery in Barcelona). Great for the plane too....cuts down on carry on luggage. I have a Scottevest sweatshirt. So many pockets there is no need for a purse. My husband also uses a money belt which he tucks into his pants.

Old August 5th, 2012, 04:04 PM
Cool Cruiser

Leaving the ship for a short walk acros the Bridge from the cruise port in Caracas Venezuela, there was a women w/a young boy, I would guess about 6 or 7 years old standing near the railing of the bridge, as my wife and I got near them the Boy came up to me and took my wrist in his hand, it took me a moment to realize, he was trying to unstrap my Watch from my wrist, I pushed him aside and my wife made the comment "Why did you do that?" The women collected the boy and ran off. My watch was almost off . Went back inside the Terminal and found a Police Officer, who was not interested in our story at all. Went back on the ship (Silversea Cloud) immediately. It was a Rolex watch, needless to say I learned never to have expensive Jewelry on when leaving any ship to go ashore.

Lesson here, small children can look cute and innocent, but letting them close to you in a Foreign Land is not a good idea, being a friendly Grandpa who adores children can lead to more problems than you want.

Old August 7th, 2012, 01:20 AM
Cool Cruiser

I appreciate all of the input, thankyou
Century 02/02
Tahitian Princess 01/03
Century 01/04
Tahitian Princess 01/05
Tahitian Princess 01/08
Eclipse 12/10
Journey 9/12

Old August 7th, 2012, 11:26 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Whatever you do, keep your cash, cards (and passports if not with the ship) somwhere inside your clothing.

We too are recent converts to Scottevests and love them, but they may be too warm on the warmest days. We also use hidden pockets which are looped over your belt (and we also pin them inside our pants) and Tilley pants which have great hidden pockets.

I have a wonderful Pac Safe day pack, but would not keep any of the above items in it.

Sailed:
Azamara Quest Far East, March 5, 2011
Victoria Empress, Yangtze River, March 25, 2011
Azamara Quest Ancient Empires, Nov. 14, 2009

Independent land tours:
New Zealand and Australia 2013
China 2011
Argentina and Peru, 2007
Europe, 1985, 91-92, 95, 2001, 2003, 2008, 2011
numerous in US and Canada
Guatemala and Mexico 1971, 1972
Haiti, 1970
Jamaica, 1968-71

Last edited by maryann ns; August 7th, 2012 at 11:27 AM.

Old August 8th, 2012, 08:39 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Another vote for Scottevest!

I just returned from Azamara (Journey July 6th Cruise thru Northern Europe) and LOVED my Scottevest 'Essential' Jacket. I was on the tour with the 2 women that were pick pocketed in Brugge and it was VERY sad.

I just ordered my husband the Scottevest Fleece 5.0 jacket and decided to get one for myself, too!

My mom has two of the Scottevest women's trench coats, one essential jacket and 3 pairs of their cargo pants. Their clothes are NOT cheap but are very well made and will SAVE YOU FROM CARRYING A PURSE AND GETTING PICK POCKETED!

Just my two cents

• Allure of the Seas, April 27 2014...First time on the 'big boat'!
  • May 20, 2013 Celebrity Constellation in the Baltics...Wonderful experience!!
  • Sapphire Princess-Grand Suite! Sept. 2012...Alaska, 7 days (lots of rain/fog/wind...only sunny day was our debark day!) Loved the Grand Suite life!
  • Azamara Journey - Northern Europe-July 2012 - Tons of Rain but tons of fun, too!
  • Mauiva Air Cruise...Like a regular sea cruise, but done in an airplane! April 2012
  • Celebrity Silhouette...Dec. 12, 2011...13 Days from Bayonne NJ to Southern Caribbean in AQ. 1st time in such high waves! Yikes!
  • Coral Princess...4/24/11...10 Days...Panama Canal (Everyone should see this amazing sight!)
  • Celebrity Solstice...March 6, 2011 (Aqua Class -- BLU is Worth Booking AQ!)
  • Celebrity Summit...Dec. 4, 2010 (Celebrity Suite)
  • Celebrity Millennium...July 9, 2010...Alaska Cruise/Land/Train Tour (We Were Lovin' The Penthouse Life!)
  • Seabourn Legend...March 2010
  • RCCL Navigator...May 2009
  • RCCL Mariner...Feb 2006 (Royal Suite)
  • Crown Princess...2005 (Owner's Suite)
  • Golden Princess...2002 (Penthouse Suite)

Old August 12th, 2012, 02:35 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Pac Safe

I only use Pac Safe. I had previously been pickpocket victim. Pac Safe bags are reinforced. I also carry my money belt under my clothes.

Old August 12th, 2012, 11:30 PM
Cool Cruiser

I've ordered a money belt, a neck wallet and a daypack (only to carry water, sunscreen etc.) Thanks for all the input.
Century 02/02
Tahitian Princess 01/03
Century 01/04
Tahitian Princess 01/05
Tahitian Princess 01/08
Eclipse 12/10
Journey 9/12

Old August 13th, 2012, 09:20 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redtravel View Post
I only use Pac Safe. I had previously been pickpocket victim. Pac Safe bags are reinforced. I also carry my money belt under my clothes.
Pacsafe and Scottevest along with a money belt. No jewelry and a $6 Walmart watch. Works for me so far.
Good luck.

Celebrity Millenium 4-12-12 AKA The Cruise from HELL!!!
Celebrity Millenium 4-7-12 OK cruise, nothing special
Celebrity Silhouette 2/22/12 Eastern Caribbean----Very nice cruise!!
Celebrity Silhouette 10/10/11 Holyland----Wonderful cruise!!!
Sitmar Fairwind about 1987 Alaska
Carnival 1986 Western Caribbean (NEVER AGAIN!!!) The Milenium wasn't much better!!
Dolphin 1986 Bahamas