Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Discussion Topics > Ask a Cruise Question

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Ask a Cruise Question Post your general cruise questions here.

Old August 8th, 2012, 06:54 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Panama Canal cruise for 20-somethings?

My wife and I are taking a Panama Canal cruise next April and are wondering whether our mid-20s daughter would fit in (and feel comfortable). Basically, will she be the youngest passenger on the ship, or are there others of a similar age? We've been on a dozen cruises but they've all been during summer months when there are loads of young adults on board. Looking for others in this forum who've done a canal cruise to weigh in with experiences or guidance. Thanks.

Ad Sponsored By
Old August 8th, 2012, 07:30 PM
10,000+ Club

Sure, she will fit in.

Yes, she may be amongst the youngest, as Canal cruises are rarely less than 10 days in length, and the golden rule is the longer the cruise, the older the crowd.

But, the opportunity to see the Canal? Priceless.

Old August 8th, 2012, 11:24 PM
Cool Cruiser

Yes, there will be some young people on board, but overall it will be an older crowd.

Old August 8th, 2012, 11:48 PM
50,000+ Club

On our Panama trip, there were ALL ages! Do NOT discount older folks...we are quite practiced at partying and having a great time.

Old August 9th, 2012, 08:51 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

The ship/cruise line will still matter, even on this itinerary. Are there activities you're specifically interested in (like a disco, bars, music, theater etc)? We did Panama Canal for my husband's 40th birthday (I was 35) on HAL and had a great time, but we were among the younger of the guests. Didn't matter to us - we normally aren't night owls and don't care about discos or shows, but on that cruise we were actually in the Piano Bar after dinner a lot......There were other young people (not many kids, due to timing) Non-Americans, especially, seem to be the other "young" people on some of the longer cruises we do - makes sense, they tend to have more vacation time available. I think that was the cruise with a large group of people from Colombia and they were having a blast

I base vacation decisions based on what I want to do and what gives me the best opportunities to do those things. Age (older) doesn't matter to me nearly as much as the opposite, avoiding lots of kids

Upcoming: Avalon Vista Christmas Market 12/2014
Pacific Princess 12 day Black Sea 9/4/11

HAL Westerdam 15 day Panama Canal 10/08
Pacific Princess Alaska 9/5/2007

HAL Maasdam Southern Caribbean 10/28/06
HAL Alaska 1986

Old August 9th, 2012, 09:58 AM
Cool Cruiser

We did the Panama cruise on the NCL Pearl and the few "youngNs" on board seemed to have a great time as the cruise staff took great care of them. As long as they participate in the activities they'll be fine. I was in the "bowling with the NCL stars" and also got to know the staff, some younsters and recieved some freebies as well.
It seems the cruise staff like to bowl and hang out in the Bliss lounge late night to "chill out".

Sapphire Princess, Pacific Wine Coastal 9/2013 (7)
Grand Princess, Trans-Atlantic 11/2012 (14)+London (6)
NCL Pearl, Panama Canal 10/2011 (14)+Orlando (5)
NCL Pearl, Pacific Coastal 9/2011 (5)
NCL Star, Pacific Coastal 9/2010 (5)+Los Angeles (5)
Golden Princess, Pacific Coastal 10/2009 (7)+Los Angeles (5)
Celebrity Century, W. Med & Malta 10/2008 (10)+Barcelona (6)
NCL Wind, Hawaii & Fanning Island 10/2005 (10)
RCL Rhapsody of the Seas, Alaska 8/2000 (7)