Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Carnival Cruise Lines

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Carnival Cruise Lines

Read thousands of Carnival Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Carnival Cruise Deals.

Write a Carnival Review

NEW! Find Your CARNIVAL Roll Call

Old August 11th, 2012, 10:49 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Conacting a ship @ sea

We are cruising on the Elation Aug 16th & want to give a phone # to our adult children in case they need to contact us in case of some kind of emergency. On past cruises the phone number to contact the ship was in sailing documents but I am having trouble finding the number this time. Anyone know where I can find it or know it??????

Mike & Marla
Allure cruise 10/11

Old August 11th, 2012, 10:53 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukydog View Post
We are cruising on the Elation Aug 16th & want to give a phone # to our adult children in case they need to contact us in case of some kind of emergency. On past cruises the phone number to contact the ship was in sailing documents but I am having trouble finding the number this time. Anyone know where I can find it or know it??????

Friends and family may call guests on board via Sea Mobile Shore-to-Ship telephone service. The rate is $9.50 per minute from the United States; additional long distance charges may apply from outside the United States.

1-877-CCLSHIP (1-877-225-7447) – from the U.S
1-732-335-3284 - from outside the U.S

The caller needs to have available the ship name and the guest's name. The charges will be applied to the caller's credit card: MasterCard; Visa; American

Carnival Imagination-October 2008
Carnival Conquest-November 2009
Carnival Conquest- November 2010
Carnival Conquest-January 2012
Carnival Elation- January 2013
Carnival Triumph-November 2014

Old August 11th, 2012, 10:57 PM
Cool Cruiser

I always leave this number just in case, but it is actually cheaper to call from the ship....The last cruise I was on it was only $1.99 a minute........Have a great cruise...We are going on the Elation in Jan.

Old August 11th, 2012, 11:03 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks, Toddsmom! That was exactly what I was looking for & could not find for the life of me!! Just wanted to have a number available to the kids in case there was some kind of emergency back home & they needed to contact us. Sailing in 5 days....hope those tropical storms are kind to us!!

Mike & Marla
Allure cruise 10/11

Old August 11th, 2012, 11:11 PM
Cool Cruiser

[quote=lukydog;34898072]Thanks, Toddsmom! That was exactly what I was looking for & could not find for the life of me!! Just wanted to have a number available to the kids in case there was some kind of emergency back home & they needed to contact us. Sailing in 5 days....hope those tropical storms are kind to us!!

Have a GREAT time.....I can't wait til Jan.

Ad Sponsored By
Old August 12th, 2012, 12:11 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukydog View Post
We are cruising on the Elation Aug 16th & want to give a phone # to our adult children in case they need to contact us in case of some kind of emergency.
Isn't that what TEXT MESSAGES are for? IF you set your cell phone to Unconditional Call Forwarding - you can leave your phone ON to receive text messages.

If roaming internationally (where available), text messages sent are $0.50 each and do not count against your monthly allotment of messages. Text messages received while roaming internationally are billed at normal rate.

https://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=52593&cv=820,902#

EVEN via the ships's cell tower! Here are AT&T rates for text messages (scroll down)

Here are detailed instructions how to do it (for AT&T)

The bottom line (if you have AT&T)
1. Turn unconditional call forwarding on (you will not receive any calls or pay for voicemails);
2. MAKE CERTAIN data roaming is OFF;
3. Leave your phone on for text messages. Receiving is free (or whatever you pay for your text messages at home) - sending is US$0.50

This is BY FAR the best way for family/friends/(dare I say your office?) to reach you. (I told my office that unless the building burned down, I really didn't care what happened until I return).

Please don't believe an anonymous post on the internet. Call AT&T and verify all of this. Please!!

Old August 12th, 2012, 01:05 AM
Cool Cruiser

Or contact your service provider, if its not AT&T, and determine if there is a similar process.
Wondering if Verizon's iPhone can be set similarly.

Old August 12th, 2012, 02:09 AM
Cool Cruiser

lukydog, I’m glad toddsmom was able to answer your question. I try not to chime in once a question has a direct response; however, if you have a cell phone with text messaging capabilities you might want to consider using it while at sea as others have suggested. Take the following info for what it’s worth, if anything!

I second the use of text messaging versus ship/shore/ship calls. On my last cruise which was Barcelona to Miami I sent/received text almost daily (I am my father’s caregiver otherwise I would have turned my phone off). I advised close family/friends in advance not to call me but they were free to text. I activated international roaming with Verizon; turned off ‘data’ ; and, paid $.05 per text received and $.50 per recipient per text sent. Only way to travel as far as I’m concerned. Using text took away the dread I always felt when I provided my family with an ‘emergency’ number to reach the ship. My mind game!

Enjoy your short countdown and cruise!!!

Memories:
CCL - 13 between 2001-2013
NCL - 1 during 2011
Princess - 2 between 2000-2001
RCI - 4 between 1998-2013
WJBC - 1 during 2002
and 5 prior to the 90s on Dolphin, Emerald Seas & others long forgotten

SeaTurtle12 at outlook dot com

Last edited by Sea Turtle; August 12th, 2012 at 02:09 AM.

Old August 12th, 2012, 02:23 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpeperdiem View Post
Isn't that what TEXT MESSAGES are for? IF you set your cell phone to Unconditional Call Forwarding - you can leave your phone ON to receive text messages.

If roaming internationally (where available), text messages sent are $0.50 each and do not count against your monthly allotment of messages. Text messages received while roaming internationally are billed at normal rate.

https://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=52593&cv=820,902#

EVEN via the ships's cell tower! Here are AT&T rates for text messages (scroll down)

Here are detailed instructions how to do it (for AT&T)

The bottom line (if you have AT&T)
1. Turn unconditional call forwarding on (you will not receive any calls or pay for voicemails);
2. MAKE CERTAIN data roaming is OFF;
3. Leave your phone on for text messages. Receiving is free (or whatever you pay for your text messages at home) - sending is US$0.50

This is BY FAR the best way for family/friends/(dare I say your office?) to reach you. (I told my office that unless the building burned down, I really didn't care what happened until I return).

Please don't believe an anonymous post on the internet. Call AT&T and verify all of this. Please!!
Question-

I was looking at my iPhone so I could figure this out before I go. I see "Cellular Data" and "Data Roaming" under "General" and "Network". Should I turn both of these off? And that's it- except setting up the forwarding?
12/2013 Carnival Breeze- Eastern Caribbean
11/2013 Carnival Victory- Eastern Caribbean
10/2013 Carnival Inspiration- Ensenada
07/2013 Carnival Valor- Southern Caribbean
02/2013 Carnival Inspiration- Ensenada
09/2012 Carnival Splendor- Mexican Riviera- PLATINUM!!
04/2012 Carnival Magic- Jamaica- Grand Cayman- Cozumel
01/2012 Carnival Splendor- Mexican Riviera
09/2011 Carnival Miracle- Bermuda
11/2010 Carnival Imagination- Key West, Cozumel
10/2010 Carnival Imagination- Bahamas
03/2010 Carnival Splendor- Mexican Riviera
08/2009 Carnival Elation- Catalina and Ensenada
05/2009 Carnival Splendor- Canada (Swine Cruise)
03/2005 Carnival Paradise- Ensenada

Old August 12th, 2012, 08:06 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisinJenF View Post
Question-

I was looking at my iPhone so I could figure this out before I go. I see "Cellular Data" and "Data Roaming" under "General" and "Network". Should I turn both of these off? And that's it- except setting up the forwarding?
On the iPhone (latest version as of today, iOS version 5.1.1):
Settings > General > Network >

Enable 3G = ON

Cellular Data = ON
(this switch will FORCE all data to wifi -- only useful when you are connected via wifi and want to prohibit all non-wifi use - this will also prevent text messages from coming in)

Data Roaming = OFF
(this is THE MOST IMPORTANT switch -- if Data Roaming is OFF then the phone will not be allowed to connect to the data network -- but still use the text messages and if needed, your voice calls.)

There are a few other switches I would disable on an iPhone:

1. Settings > iCloud
TURN EVERYTHING OFF
(the reason here is that iCloud is a pig and sometimes doesn't respect your settings. I have seen iCloud disregard celluar/wifi settings and EVEN WHEN connected on wifi, it uses cellular data. Can't have that when roaming internationally)

2. Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Fetch New Data -> Push -> OFF
3. Settings > Notifications > (for each app) > Notifications OFF (this is kinda overkill, but I don't trust all the apps to respect my roaming settings)
4. Double click your home button, then press and HOLD any app - then the app will shake and you will see a red "-" : this closes the app from running in the background. DO THIS for every app. If an app is not running, it can't try to circumvent your data roaming. Better safe than sorry. You can also accomplish this by turning your phone of completely, and rebooting. But always verify that all apps are NOT running.

Finally, before you leave, download a VOIP app, such as Vonage. Free calls to the US over wifi IF you have a good wifi connection (in port, find an internet cafe with a fast connection, VOIP apps will not work on the ship - not enough bandwidth).

And if you are real geeky, I love this app:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/datam...404513413?mt=8

It allows you to track (in realtime) your data and wifi usage (I bought the "pro" version which has been removed by Apple because it exposes iCloud's bugs) -- that's OT for this thread.

This all sounds complicated, but if you simply do these basic things, you will maximize your connectivity home while virtually eliminating the insane data costs - and still use wifi.

Old August 12th, 2012, 02:03 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thank you so much! I will have to try this- it would be nice for my kids to be ale to text me if they need me. Thanks again!
12/2013 Carnival Breeze- Eastern Caribbean
11/2013 Carnival Victory- Eastern Caribbean
10/2013 Carnival Inspiration- Ensenada
07/2013 Carnival Valor- Southern Caribbean
02/2013 Carnival Inspiration- Ensenada
09/2012 Carnival Splendor- Mexican Riviera- PLATINUM!!
04/2012 Carnival Magic- Jamaica- Grand Cayman- Cozumel
01/2012 Carnival Splendor- Mexican Riviera
09/2011 Carnival Miracle- Bermuda
11/2010 Carnival Imagination- Key West, Cozumel
10/2010 Carnival Imagination- Bahamas
03/2010 Carnival Splendor- Mexican Riviera
08/2009 Carnival Elation- Catalina and Ensenada
05/2009 Carnival Splendor- Canada (Swine Cruise)
03/2005 Carnival Paradise- Ensenada

Old August 12th, 2012, 03:57 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks for the text message suggestion. I have US Cellular & don't have data/capability on my phone. Son works for US Cellular & doesn't think this will work for me but will check into it further, thanks!

Mike & Marla
Allure cruise 10/11