Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Discussion Topics > Ask a Cruise Question

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Ask a Cruise Question Post your general cruise questions here.

View Poll Results: How the Heck Do You Get Upgrades??
Book a Guarantee Cabin -- in the hopes of an automatic upgrade 58 37.91%
Just Ask! 19 12.42%
Cruise the Same Line Often -- loyalty perks 25 16.34%
Cruise Different Lines Often -- lines will court new passengers and offer upgrades 5 3.27%
I'm Feeling Lucky -- no rhyme or reason to it 53 34.64%
Get Cruise Line Branded Credit Cards -- offer perks like upgrades and onboard credit 4 2.61%
Book During Off Peak Times -- more likely to get an upgrade when ships are not full 24 15.69%
Take a Luxury Cruise -- all of those cabins are "upgrades" anyway 13 8.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 20th, 2012, 09:37 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Exactly my point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisin' Chick View Post
A couple of times we were upgraded. On my first cruise, we ended up with an upgrade that should have been considered a downgrade -- under a dining room and we heard vacuuming every night around midnight.

The last few cruises we have booked a specific cabin and marked it "no upgrade."
Exactly the point I was making in my previous post.

Old March 20th, 2012, 09:45 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail7seas View Post
Not always.

Sometimes they upgrade or upsell, to free up less costly cabins that are easier to sell than the higher priced ones. There are cases where people get a great 'freebie' but, of course, that is not the rule nor should anyone come to expect it.
Once on HAL we received the ultimate upgrade.

HAL sold our cabin twice.

After wife did some fine negotiating HAL gave us a FREE 10 day cruise in place of a 7 day cruise. HAL refunded us in full, rebooked our air and gave us OBC too boot. The other individual(s) HAL sold our room to had to cruise on that specific date and the wife knowing HAL was in a bind called HAL's bluff and won.

Old March 20th, 2012, 11:31 PM
5,000+ Club

We have received one upgrade in over thirty cruises. We were given a surprise upgrade from a balcony to a junior suite and, wow, I really loved that junior suite! It was a smart move on Royal's part to do that for us because we have tried to book junior suites ever since when the price is not prohibitive.

I don't know what guidelines Royal follows for their upgrades, but I do know that they claim their highest levels of Crown and Anchor passengers--Pinnacle and Diamond Plus-- get top priority. Because there are generally lots of Diamond Plus on board, perhaps the total number of cruises is taken into account. A D+ with 600 cruise points would take priority over one with say 300 cruise points. A Pinnacle guest would trump either of those.

Old March 26th, 2012, 06:12 PM
Cool Cruiser

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamboatin View Post

After wife did some fine negotiating HAL gave us a FREE 10 day cruise in place of a 7 day cruise. HAL refunded us in full, rebooked our air and gave us OBC too boot. The other individual(s) HAL sold our room to had to cruise on that specific date and the wife knowing HAL was in a bind called HAL's bluff and won.

Now that's what I call an upgrade...unfortunately, I think this is rare occurrence. But wow, what a deal!

Old March 26th, 2012, 09:17 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamboatin View Post

This does not answer the OP's question. It is an extremely rare occurance that has nothing to do with a guarantee cabin. It just increases people's expectations that they will get something for nothing.

Old April 25th, 2012, 08:57 PM
Cool Cruiser

I recently got offered an upgrade from an ocean suite to a grand suite -- for $350. The cost would normally have been $800 more. I took it even though the suites are quite similar (same deck, doors apart). I just wanted to see what the grand suite is like!

Old April 25th, 2012, 09:24 PM
10,000+ Club

I chose 2 options....cruise lines perks and booking a GTY. Cruise line perks because I know of at least one line that lists upgrades as a loyalty perk (RCI). However, when those upgrades come available, usually about 2 weeks before the cruise, they start with the top cruisers. And on RCI the top cruisers have a lot more crusies than me (and you see how many I have ).

The GTY seems to be a pretty standard way of increasing your odds on most cruise lines.
Sunward II 11/88, Seaward 8/92, Seaward 4/96, Norwegian Sea 11/01, RCI Monarch 10/02, RCI Enchantment 10/03, RCI Majesty 5/04, RCI Adventure 10/04, RCI Explorer 10/05, RCI Majesty 5/06, RCI Freedom 9/06, RCI Explorer 5/07, RCI Adventure 10/07, RCI Navigator 2/08, RCI Navigator 8/08 (Med.), RCI Majesty 11/08, Celebrity Solstice 4/09, RCI Enchantment 7/09, RCI Radiance 11/09 (Mex. Riv.), Celebrity Solstice 4/10, RCI Majesty 6/10, RCI Majesty 8/10, RCI Oasis 10/10, RCI Radiance 11/10, Celebrity Century 1/11, RCI Allure 4/11, Nor. Sky 6/11, RCI Majesty 9/11, Nor. Sky 9/11, Celebrity Summit 11/11, RCI Liberty 2/12, Nieuw Amsterdam 5/12 (Med.), RCI Majesty 8/12, RCI Oasis 10/12, RCI Majesty 11/12, Nor. Dawn 12/12, RCI Liberty 2/13, RCI Majesty 4/13, Celebrity Millennium 6/13 (Alaska), RCI Enchantment 9/13, RCI Allure 11/13,Celebrity Constellation 1/14, Ruby Princess 2/14, RCI Liberty 4/14, Caribbean Princess 5/14, Zuiderdam (Alaska) 7/14, RCI Vision 8/14, RCI Liberty 11/14

Old April 26th, 2012, 12:10 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

We never check that we want an upgrade. Be careful - not all upgrades are a good deal.

We have had 3 upgrades out of 45+ cruises, all to suites, two arranged by our TA at the time.

One happened with when our TA promised an OBC, which we did not get, but got an upgrade instead to a full suite on HAL. Was wonderful on a 10 day cruise.

The second was another upgrade to a Sky suite on Celebrity, our TA got for us.

Then we got an upgrade to a larger balcony on Princess once which was nice on a Baltic cruise some years ago. It was the first cruise of the season, the ship was not full, so we were upgraded.

Once again, be careful though, upgrades under the pool are not good.

Old May 26th, 2012, 04:25 PM
Cool Cruiser

We booked 2 inside cabins about a year in advance on the Caribbean Princess that sailed out of San Juan back in December 2012. My wife and one son (age 23) we placed in one while my other son (age24) and I we in the other. About 48hrs before sailing I received an email saying my rooms were changed... to a full family suite! I went from the cheapest to the most expensive! We're still trying to figure out why, but all we can think of is that this was our (my wife and I) 6th Princess sailing, we booked a lot of shore excursions so they saw we weren't cheap. We also tend to treat our ship staff well at tip time. I'm thinking that they saw a better chance of filling the cheap rooms last minute than that big suite.

Old May 26th, 2012, 05:00 PM
Cool Cruiser

Book a cruise when nobody else wants to go. A good example is say the week before Christmas or maybe the week after New Year when everybody is partied out

Grandeur of the Seas May 2003
Jewel of the Seas (inaugural) May 2004
Golden Princess July 2005
Golden Princess July 2006
Navigator of the Seas May 2007
Independence of the Seas May 2008
Independence of the Seas August 2008
QM2 Transatlantic April 2009
QM2 Transatlantic May 2009

Independence of the Seas January 2011
Balmoral November 2011
Carnival Breeze August 2012
Crown Princess September 2013.

Old July 11th, 2012, 05:15 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiserBruce View Post
The system of upgrades is a closely guarded secret. No one has ever mentioned really knowing how it is done. Rumors have it related to demand for cabins- low demand in a higher level cabin will generate upgrades. But how they decide you get it, and I don't is closely held.

15 cruises, never a hint of an upgrade.
Have you been on the Ruby Princess?

Old July 11th, 2012, 05:51 PM
Cool Cruiser

We were upgraded to a balcony from an inside and didn't even know it until we checked in. That was awesome!!

Old July 11th, 2012, 09:16 PM
Cool Cruiser

We have done 3 cruises with Princess. Cruises 2 and 3 were upgraded from ocean view to balcony without any prompting from us.

Old July 17th, 2012, 11:07 AM
Cool Cruiser

Post Free Upgrades

Hi,

We received two nice upgrades over the years. When we were traveling with our young children we were upgraded to a suite simply because, we were told, that we were a family of four. How nice of HAL!

The second time was more recent. It was on a river cruise and someone wanted to be near their friends and so wanted our cabin. They asked us if we minded being changed - we hadn't even checked in on the ship yet and of course we agreed. Aside from those two occasions we haven't been upgraded much to any degree except for promotions at the time of booking. We have booked Guaranteed Catagories and have received small upgrades maybe closer to mid-ship. However, the uncertainty of what we might get probably wasn't worth it. Gloria

Upcoming Cruises

HAL Amsterdam 9-21-14 78-Day Grand Pacific & Far East Voyage

HAL Amsterdam 12-8-2014 14-night Panama Canal

Vantage ms River Venture and ms River Discovery II
Treasures of France: A Grand River Journey From Normandy to Provence - 22 Days

American Queen Steamboat Company, American Queen Boat, October 10-18, 2015 "Fall Colors"

Recent Past Cruises

Carnival Liberty, May 24, 2014
MSC Divina, February 1, 2014
Allure of the Seas, December 8, 2013
Carnival Dream, October 19, 2013
Celebrity Summit, September 7, 2013

Celebrity Summit, September 1, 2013
Crown Princess TA April 16, 2013
MSC Poesia, February 2, 2013
Carnival Breeze, November 6, 2012
RCCL Oasis of the Seas, September 1, 2012
Carnival Freedom, June 30, 2012
Celebrity Constellation, April, 2012
Carnival Sensation, March, 2012
Carnival Dream, January, 2012

Old July 17th, 2012, 11:16 AM
Cool Cruiser

Been cruising sine 1982 on the Sitmar Fairsea and have never been offered a free upgrade. Have had at least one upsell opportunity each time but I don't do up sells. I book the cabin I want, in the location I want. I do not think there is any formula to the free upgrades and that it is dumb luck that you get an offer.

http://luv2cruise.blogspot.com

Old August 12th, 2012, 05:02 AM
Cool Cruiser

We have been upgraded once, from a ocean view to a mini-suite (no balcony category on the ship). It was our honeymoon, which they knew, so I don't know if that played a part, and it was our second cruise through Princess/P&O Australia.

It was great, but pretty random.
December 2010 - Nordkapp (Hurtigruiten) - Norway - 13 nights
October 2010 - Adventure of the Seas - Mediterranean - 6 nights
April 2009 - ms Sound of Music - European Rivers - 15 nights
July 2008 - Pacific Dawn - Pacific Islands - 10 nights
December 2006 - Sapphire Princess - S.E. Asia and Australia - 19 nights

Old August 12th, 2012, 12:50 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

You - along with most cruisers - missed the most obvious and easiest way to get an upgrade.

BUY ONE.

This method works nearly every time.

Old August 12th, 2012, 01:26 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by firsttimeexplorer View Post
Have you been on the Ruby Princess?
No, we have not.

Old August 13th, 2012, 02:45 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceMuzz View Post
You - along with most cruisers - missed the most obvious and easiest way to get an upgrade.

BUY ONE.

This method works nearly every time.
I think you might be UNDERSTATING this method just a bit.
Majesty of the Seas Nov-23-09 - Sailed
Sovereign of the Seas Oct-12-07 - Sailed
Sovereign of the Seas Nov-24-06 - Sailed
Discovery One Cruise May - 1989 - Sailed

Old August 13th, 2012, 05:15 AM
Cool Cruiser

Been on one cruise and we got an upgrade, from inside cabin to OV. Now we have OV but I'm hoping we can get a balcony or better. It's our honeymoon and we have stated this on the booking, so hoping we can improve our chances.