Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Discussion Topics > Ask a Cruise Question

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Ask a Cruise Question Post your general cruise questions here.

Old July 28th, 2012, 12:54 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by notentirelynormal View Post
Please don't take the gold coin or the $2 bill. These are basically considered useless tips. No one can spend them. When was the last time you got a $2 bill? Other countries don't want them. They think they are fake. I was in Australia and our bus driver asked me if they were real because someone had given him one as a tip and his bank wouldn't take it. Other countries, like the US, don't want foreign coins so they are unspendable.

Of course the crew member smiles. That's his job. If he sneered at you, you'd be offended and complain and he'd lose his job. So he smiles. Single dollar bills are the way to go every time.
Wow! I'm glad you replied. I also thought the dollar coin was a neat idea.
On another note...you gave me an idea for another problem I was trying to resolve. To save suitcase space and avoid having shelves full of trinkets from everywhere I have been, years ago I began buying smashed pennies when I travel. Many destinations do not have penny smashers and I was trying to figure out another idea just as easy. I could just get some foreign currency from wherever I am at to add to my penny box

Carnival Inspiration 06/24/10

Ad Sponsored By
Old July 28th, 2012, 01:42 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Years ago - which means I don't know if they still do - the ship had a big bowl of coins on the counter from various ports. The idea was you did an exchange. Say someone just needed one coin for Greece and didn't want get more change then they would need. You took one of those. On the other hand, if you had left over coins that you were never going to spend you threw them into the jar. I met a guy who did magic tricks and needed three identical coins in good condition and that's how he got them. It won't hurt to ask.
Ocean Princess - Western Mediterranean - 10/10 -- Ruby Princess - Eastern Caribbean - 3/10 -- Island Princess - Coastal 5/09 -- Sapphire Princess - New Zealand/Australia 3/08 -- Sapphire Princess - Coastal 5/07 -- Tahitian Princess - Tahiti/Hawaii 7/06 -- Island Princess - Coastal/Alaska 5/06 -- Golden Princess - Southern Caribbean 9/04 -- Sun Princess - Coastal - 4/04 -- Sun Princess - Panama Canal - 4/01 -- Carnival - Caribbean - 11/00 -- Royal Caribbean - Caribbean 7/99 -- Grand Princess - Caribbean - 11/98 -- Pacific Princess - Mediterranean - 11/97 -- Sun Princess - Western Caribbean - 12/95 -- Regal Princess - Western Caribbean - 11/94 -- Dawn Princess - Mexico 5/93 -- Dawn Princess - Mexico 4/93 -- Fair Princess - Mexico - 12/92 -- Regal Princess - Alaska - 5/92 -- Regal Princess - Eastern Caribbean - 8/91 -- Fairsky - Western Caribbean - 4/87 -- Fairwind - Eastern Caribbean - 4/84

Old July 28th, 2012, 08:53 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by notentirelynormal View Post
Please don't take the gold coin or the $2 bill. These are basically considered useless tips. No one can spend them. When was the last time you got a $2 bill? Other countries don't want them. They think they are fake. I was in Australia and our bus driver asked me if they were real because someone had given him one as a tip and his bank wouldn't take it. Other countries, like the US, don't want foreign coins so they are unspendable.

Of course the crew member smiles. That's his job. If he sneered at you, you'd be offended and complain and he'd lose his job. So he smiles. Single dollar bills are the way to go every time.

Thanks for the tip. I usually use them in the USA. Lots of people here know what they are, but some still don't.

The crew members are always so polite, and smile when we tip them for all the little "included" things they do for us.

Old July 28th, 2012, 09:01 PM
Cool Cruiser

[quote=t60;34707413]Oh how I wish I´d done this on our last cruise in Italy!! How big is the one you take?

Sandy in Spain[/quote

I have several, but usually take one about as long as my suitcase. I use it to pack socks, roll DH's ties or whatever then use it for my "priceless" art purchases on the return trip.

Also used empty oatmeal containers for 1st aid kit, ect. going and small breakables coming home. You can just trash them if they aren't needed for that leg of the trip.

Old July 29th, 2012, 08:51 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by t60 View Post
We NEVER take home used underwear. We wash underwear daily and hang to dry in the bathroom. This also works for Tshirts. The very thought of taking home dirty laundry...yeuk

Sandy in Spain

The very thought of hand washing my underwear every day in my cabin..Yuk. I'm on vacation!

112 days at sea so far:
Mexican Riviera, Carnival Jubilee, 1992

Southern Caribbean, Carnival Fascination, 1997

Mexican Riviera, Carnival Elation, 1999

Alaska & Denali, Dawn Princess, 2002

Ensenada & Catalina, Carnival Paradise, 2005

Western Caribbean, Carnival Conquest, 2007
Grand Mediterranean Inaugural, Carnival Dream, 2009
Grand Mediterranean 2nd sail, Carnival Magic, 2011
Hawaii, Sapphire Princess, 2012
Grand Mediterranean Inaugural , Carnival Breeze, 2012
Alaska, Diamond Princess, 2012
Transatlantic, Carnival Sunshine, 2013

Old July 29th, 2012, 11:54 PM
Cool Cruiser

After reading many reviews about people using "packing cubes" I bought some for my last cruise. Wow, they really work! We were able to take all the clothes I wanted and still had too much room left in the suitcases! I do see how people could use a carry on only with these.

You roll your clothes and then put them in there. They help hold the clothes in place so they do not get as wrinkled. I would fit 7 XL shirts in a large one and they took up the space of about 10" x 15" by 2 inches deep.

When unpacking it was so easy, I just pulled them out of the suitcase and hung up some stuff but most just left in the cube in the drawer. It made unpacking and storage in the room so much neater.

Some people said they get different colors for each family member and then the kids know where to find their own clothes. So many neat uses for these if you are real organized. (I am not usually so I really like how they helped me to be)

The absolute best advice is only TAKE HALF OF THE CLOTHES YOU THINK YOU NEED!
Carnival Ecstasy-1998
Carnival Tropicale-1999
RCCL Voyager of the Seas-2001
RCCL Mariner of the Seas- Spring 2004
HAL Zuiderdam- Summer 2004
HAL Westerdam-February 2007
Disney Magic-April 2007
Carnival Liberty-May 31,2008
Disney Fantasy- May 2012
CCL Freedom-August 2012

Old July 30th, 2012, 08:15 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlendaleCruiser View Post
The very thought of hand washing my underwear every day in my cabin..Yuk. I'm on vacation!
I don't like the idea of someone's dirty underwear being washed in the same sink used for washing faces, hands and teeth! Yuk!

If we wash out anything, we take it into the shower and wash it while showering. Especially, something like a bathing suit that could have sand in it. The sink is too small anyway.

Old July 30th, 2012, 08:37 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunburns View Post
Wow! I'm glad you replied. I also thought the dollar coin was a neat idea.
On another note...you gave me an idea for another problem I was trying to resolve. To save suitcase space and avoid having shelves full of trinkets from everywhere I have been, years ago I began buying smashed pennies when I travel. Many destinations do not have penny smashers and I was trying to figure out another idea just as easy. I could just get some foreign currency from wherever I am at to add to my penny box

smashing pennies????
04/14/2007 NCL Dream- Transatlantic
02/2004 Carnival Elation -"Leap Day" cruise

Upcoming cruises

04/13/13 Crown Princess TA from Galveston
04/30/13 NCL Breakaway Inaugeral TA cruise

Old July 30th, 2012, 09:49 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by april47 View Post
smashing pennies????
Yes Smashing pennies I have found them to be my favorite souvenir yet. They only cost me .51 cents and I can fit them in my pocket or handbag with no worries of it getting broken or taking up too much space. I have wonderful memories attached to each of my smashed pennies and need nothing more. I do, however, purchase a few 'typical' souvenirs for my family to be given to them when I get home and I always buy myself a t-shirt from wherever I have been if they are available.
This is the web site I use to find where the penny smashers are located if I don't see one anywhere. If any travelers here can add a location to this site, it would be appreciated I don't plan to go to Dolphin Cove in Jamaica, and I would really like to smash a penny.
http://www.pennycollector.com/AreaList.aspx

Carnival Inspiration 06/24/10

Old August 16th, 2012, 08:38 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Packing Tips

A friend just off a TA said that she wished she had with her a small over the shoulder purse for carrying her lipstick and passenger ID card (instead of carrying a big purse around and keeping track of it)

Old August 16th, 2012, 09:11 PM
Cool Cruiser

Wink

SUCH GREAT TIPS!! I thought I was a pretty good packer but I just learned you CAN teach an old dog new (packing) tricks! LOL
One suggestion for anyone who wears eyeglasses (or even sunglasses) is to take an eyeglass repair kit with you! Nothing puts a damper on a cruise like a broken arm or lose lens on your glasses! On my very first cruise we were in the giftshop when a man came in holding his glasses in a couple pieces asking if they sold a kit. They didn't! Another customer offered to let him use his.
One other thing to save space......wherever I travel, my 'remembrance' is always a refrigerator magnet! Not too expensive, takes up practically no room in your luggage, and every time you look at it you will remember that trip. I know I do!

Old August 19th, 2012, 09:47 PM
Cool Cruiser

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaGram View Post
After reading many reviews about people using "packing cubes" I bought some for my last cruise. Wow, they really work! We were able to take all the clothes I wanted and still had too much room left in the suitcases! I do see how people could use a carry on only with these.

You roll your clothes and then put them in there. They help hold the clothes in place so they do not get as wrinkled. I would fit 7 XL shirts in a large one and they took up the space of about 10" x 15" by 2 inches deep.

When unpacking it was so easy, I just pulled them out of the suitcase and hung up some stuff but most just left in the cube in the drawer. It made unpacking and storage in the room so much neater.

Some people said they get different colors for each family member and then the kids know where to find their own clothes. So many neat uses for these if you are real organized. (I am not usually so I really like how they helped me to be)

The absolute best advice is only TAKE HALF OF THE CLOTHES YOU THINK YOU NEED!
I've been thinking about getting these packing cubes. Do you fold your shirts in half or thirds before rolling? Don't they still wrinkle? How do you pack dirty clothes on the return trip (if like me you prefer to not spend vacation time doing laundry)? I wouldn't want to put dirty shirts in the cubes ...

Loved reading through all these packing tips - I've learned quite a bit so thanks to all for the ideas!

Old August 20th, 2012, 01:39 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam200 View Post
I've been thinking about getting these packing cubes. Do you fold your shirts in half or thirds before rolling? Don't they still wrinkle? How do you pack dirty clothes on the return trip (if like me you prefer to not spend vacation time doing laundry)? I wouldn't want to put dirty shirts in the cubes ...

Loved reading through all these packing tips - I've learned quite a bit so thanks to all for the ideas!
What I did was lay a shirt on the packing cube and then folded in each side to make it about the size of the packing cube. None of the shirts I took were cotton that had to be ironed, I took knit and kind of slinky material for my dressy shirts. I started rolling at the neck lines so that if any part came unrolled or was not as tight it was the bottom. It worked well for me.
Carnival Ecstasy-1998
Carnival Tropicale-1999
RCCL Voyager of the Seas-2001
RCCL Mariner of the Seas- Spring 2004
HAL Zuiderdam- Summer 2004
HAL Westerdam-February 2007
Disney Magic-April 2007
Carnival Liberty-May 31,2008
Disney Fantasy- May 2012
CCL Freedom-August 2012

Old August 20th, 2012, 02:52 AM
Cool Cruiser

I´ve made a cardboard template (from a cornflakes packet) based on one of OH new shirt packaging. I use that as a template to fold shirts, I can then fold just as they are in the shop, which fit the cubes we use perfectly.(you could adjust the size of the card board to fit your cubes)

As for packing dirty shirts...well they´re not that dirty, and as OH wears them all,they get folded back the same way and put in the cube or you could fold them the same way and put them in a plastic bag

Sandy in Spain

Old August 20th, 2012, 03:26 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Cube Packing

Are pthee cubes that need a vacuum cleaner to seal? If so, what happens when you pack to go home?
I roll everything, putting slacks down first, at the end soft things, then roll and slip the whole thing into a (big) plastic shopping sack. I use a shoe box or something like that for all the loose items, toiletries, etc. It seems to work--if you use your fingers to smoothe things out as you go.

Old June 6th, 2013, 06:05 AM
Cool Cruiser

I buy the gallon size regular ziplock bags for dirty laundry. If you zip it most of the way, then roll it from the bottom to squash it flat, and then finish zipping it it is very flat and airtight so it won't smell up the rest of the clothes. You can then put them into the cubes. They are handy for damp swimsuits, etc. Once we had rain the day before we came home and had lots of damp clothing and they were great to have. I also tear the little perfumed papers from magazines and save. I can put those in the drawers and in the dirty laundry bags.

Old June 6th, 2013, 01:50 PM
5,000+ Club

This thread is a year old. Still good ideas in it though.

It always intrigues me how people find these old threads. Was it done through a search??

HAL 2- Star Mariner

NCL PLATINUM

NCL Star - Oct 2013 Panama Canal
NCL Star - Oct 2013. Transatlantic

NCL Sun - Oct 2010; Western Caribbean
NCL Sun - Oct 2010; Transatlantic
NCL Sun - Sept 2010; Norway, Iceland, Faroes, Lerwick, Scotland, Ireland

HAL Amsterdam - May 2010, 14 day Alaska

NCL Jewel - 2008 Transatlantic/British Isles
Celebrity Century -2007 British Isles
Oceania Regatta - 2007 Transatlantic to Marseille France
HAL Zaandam - 2006 Hawaii
NCL Sun - 2006 Panama Canal
NCL Sea - 2005 Cozumel, Belize, Roatan
Radisson [Regent] Diamond - 2005 Around the Boot of Italy
Oceania Insignia - 2005 Transatlantic to Rio de Janeiro
RCI Empress of the Seas - 2004 Soutther Caribbean
Celebrity Milennium - 2004 Transatlantic
Carnival Imagination - 2003 Grand Cayman & Ocho Rios Jamaica
NCL Majesty - 2000 Mexican Riviera
Carnival Ecstasy - 2000 Bahamas
RCI Nordic Empress (before remodel to Empress of the Seas - 1999 Eastern Caribbean

Last edited by NMLady; June 6th, 2013 at 01:51 PM.

Old June 6th, 2013, 02:00 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by elbodans View Post
1. lay out all of the clothing you think you will need. take away half of the clothing and three quarters of the shoes. then pack.

2. non-clothing items are the most important, as they are the most difficult to do without. forget to bring an extra shirt? have one cleaned or buy one in port. forget to bring a camera battery charger? you may be out of luck.

3. pack a highlighter. they are super convenient for highlighting your cruise ship daily.

4. the only things you REALLY need are a credit card and a passport. all other things can be done without or purchased. so don't stress!

5. don't pack for the worst case scenario--you'll end up bringing too much.

6. the one exception to #5 above--ladies--bring feminine hygiene products even if you don't think you'll need them. TRUST ME. there's nothing worse than being in port in bermuda for three days with all of the ship's shops closed and needing something. TRUST ME.
Excellent suggestions! I especially agree that most people pack twice as much as they need!

Unfortunately, the inexperienced traveler will read your post and ignore it because they need to learn it first-hand that they packed waaaaaaay too much!
Celebrity Silhouette, Europe/Mediterranean, July 2013; Celebrity Silhouette, E. Caribbean, April 2013; Century Diamond, Yangtze River, July 2012; Celebrity Solstice, W. Caribbean, April 2012; HAL Eurodam, Baltic, July 2011; RCI Liberty of the Seas, W. Caribbean, April 2010; HAL Noordam, Europe/Mediterranean, June-July 2009; RCI Brilliance of the Seas, Panama Canal, March 2008; RCI Grandeur of the Seas, NE/Canada, July 2007; RCI Radiance of the Seas, W. Caribbean, November 2006; RCI Radiance of the Seas, Alaska, August 2006; Carnival Liberty, W. Caribbean, November 2005; RCI Explorer of the Seas, E. Caribbean, Sept 2001; Princess Regal Princess, E. Caribbean, November 1993

Travel-related posts from my blog: http://terpnut.blogspot.com/search/label/travel

Old June 7th, 2013, 07:59 AM
10,000+ Club

Packing every thing in zip locks ...
Holland: 9 voyages; 138 days
Norwegian: 2 voyages; 16 days
Princess: 16 voyages; 154 days
Royal Carib: 5 voyages; 35 days
Vantage: River 2 voyage 36 days
GRAND TOTAL: 64 voyages -590 days

NOT YET SAILED
Holland Maasdam 6/14 -14 days
Holland Eurodam 8/14 -18 days
Princess Coral 10/14-11 days
Holland Prinsendam 11/14 -28 days
Holland Ryndam 1/15 -14 days
Holland Maasdam 3/15 -14 days
Holland Amsterdam 5/15 - 16 days

Holland Veendam 6/15 - 14 days
Vantage River Cruise 8/15 - 21 days
Holland Prinsendam 10/15 - 28 days

Old June 7th, 2013, 05:56 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam200 View Post
Best tip is the packing cubes. I have them in all shapes and sizes (Ebags, Rei, LLbean...but my favorite are the Rick Steves cubes--they seem to hold the most. Extra-Large ones for pants so they are folded fewer times. Shirts can be rolled or folded to fit the cube. Love my packing cubes!

Dirty clothes: (we do wash some underwear and shirts if it's a long trip)--or get it washed on board --in China they washed and ironed a big bag full for $5)----I prefer to use the plastic zippered bags that blankets and sheets are sold in. When I come home I spray the inside of the bags with Lysol and hang inside/out to dry. Re-usuable for the next trip. Have used extra large ziplocs but sometimes the zipper/closure doesn't seal and air/odor leaks out!

EVERYTHING in the suitcase is in a packing cube or ziploc. No loose items. Not as much of a problem when cruising but our last trip included 9 overnights--having everything "in it's place" was so helpful.