Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > New Cruisers > First Time Cruisers

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

First Time Cruisers You May Also Want to Read: Over 4,000 Published Cruise Reviews by First Time Cruisers

Best advice for first-time cruisers; learn how to pick a cabin, find the best cruise bargain, tips on what to pack.

Browse Cruise Critic's First Time Cruiser Resources (articles)

Old July 20th, 2012, 01:50 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

If you really want to hang out together in the cabin, you can try to get two connecting cabins. These have an inside door so you can go from one cabin to the next. If you get two adjoining balcony cabins, some ships allow the balcony divider to be opened. (Not sure which ones do or don't). Note: "Adjoining" means next to each other, but not necessarily connecting. Cheapest would be two inside cabins. I actually prefer inside cabins because I like to sleep late. But 4 adults in one standard cabin? No way I'd do this.
Norwegian Star – May 2003 (Hawaii)
Carnival Jubilee – Sep 2003
Carnival Conquest – Nov 2003
Rhapsody of the Seas – Jan 2004
Carnival Ecstasy – Dec 2004
Carnival Elation – Nov 2005
Splendour of the Seas – Jan 2006
Rhapsody of the Seas – May 2006
Carnival Ecstasy – Dec 2006 (New Year's Eve)
Splendour of the Seas – Feb 2007
Voyager of the Seas – Mar 2008
Carnival Ecstasy – Jan 2009
Voyager of the Seas – Mar 2009
Carnival Ecstasy – Jan 2010
Voyager of the Seas – Mar 2010 & Dec 2010 & Mar 2011
Carnival Conquest - May 2011
Mariner of the Seas - Dec 2011 & Mar 2012 & Dec 2012 & Mar 2013
Navigator of the Seas - Dec 2013 & May 2014

Last edited by Jimnbigd; July 20th, 2012 at 01:51 PM.

Old July 21st, 2012, 01:51 AM
10,000+ Club

On Carnival the regular cabins are about 185 sq ft (10 x 18.5)

There will be some cabins that have a king/queen bed and a double sofa bed. Most have 2 lower twins (forming a king) and two uppers. Others have a sofabed (like a daybed) and an upper. Who will sleep in the upper?

We had an SA suite on the HAL Westerdam that was 500 sq ft. The kids slept on the pulloput sofa. It was uncomfortable because of the middle bar.

Another problem is many cabins only have two electrical outlets (a 110 & a 220).

If you are looking for a balcony the Carnival Spirit class has a few balcony cabins that connect to an inside.

Old July 21st, 2012, 09:14 AM
10,000+ Club

I would stay home before I'd share a cabin with another couple. Complete lack of privacy and space. No way. That's not a vacation it's a prison sentence.
October 2011--Disney Dream Bahamas
June 2012--Windstar Wind Surf Back-To-Back, Rome to Venice to Athens
April 2014--Paul Gauguin to French Polynesia

Still to come...

2016 -- Windstar Wind Surf Southern Caribbean Back-To-Back
2021 -- SilverSea Explorer Antarctica for Milestone Birthdays!

Three weeks in Europe (two on a ship) with a 20" roll aboard and a tote bag--packing list here.

My all in a 20" wheeled bag for a warm weather cruise packing list here

Old July 24th, 2012, 04:10 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNDeb View Post
I finally registered after reading all I could on this board. What a gold mine this place is!!

Next summer (May/June) Hubby and I along with another couple WILL be on a cruise. We want to do a 5 day cruise of the Eastern Caribbean. We will be meeting with a TA in the next week or so. Here are some of my concerns/questions:

We would like to stay in one cabin, with a balcony. If there is a couch that pulls out to a full size bed, we're good with that. What are y'all's experience with this?

Hubby is concerned about his bar bill...he is a beer drinker. What are the best ways to deal with this? I think some cruises offer a $$ a day for all the beer you can drink. How has that worked for y'all? As for me...I'll have rum runners filled with Capt. Morgan.

Shopping...I admit it...this is one of the things I'm most looking forward to. I know it depends on what ports we hit, but what ports offer the best shopping? How far is the shopping from the ports?

Excersions....which ones do you recommend?

~TNDeb
I agree four adults in one room is asking for trouble. You will end up hating each other. My husband and I do use the bars and our bill is normally aroung $600.00 for the cruise for two.
Carnival Imagination
Carnival Glory
Carnival Legend
Carnival Legend
Carnival Liberty
Carnival Dream

Old August 4th, 2012, 03:05 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Ship on a Stick?

I've read several comments about a "ship on a stick"....what exactly is this?

Old August 4th, 2012, 04:02 AM
Cool Cruiser

I know everyone else has said it but in case you need more confirmation...do not share a cabin with another couple. The end!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Old August 6th, 2012, 12:32 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
That is a "prize" you can get on Carnival when you win certain contests. More of a joke really. And it really is a ship on a stick
Carnival Imagination
Carnival Glory
Carnival Legend
Carnival Legend
Carnival Liberty
Carnival Dream

Last edited by gardeningmama; August 6th, 2012 at 12:33 PM.

Old August 6th, 2012, 06:15 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
One cruise directory we had called it "A plastic piece of ship."
Norwegian Star – May 2003 (Hawaii)
Carnival Jubilee – Sep 2003
Carnival Conquest – Nov 2003
Rhapsody of the Seas – Jan 2004
Carnival Ecstasy – Dec 2004
Carnival Elation – Nov 2005
Splendour of the Seas – Jan 2006
Rhapsody of the Seas – May 2006
Carnival Ecstasy – Dec 2006 (New Year's Eve)
Splendour of the Seas – Feb 2007
Voyager of the Seas – Mar 2008
Carnival Ecstasy – Jan 2009
Voyager of the Seas – Mar 2009
Carnival Ecstasy – Jan 2010
Voyager of the Seas – Mar 2010 & Dec 2010 & Mar 2011
Carnival Conquest - May 2011
Mariner of the Seas - Dec 2011 & Mar 2012 & Dec 2012 & Mar 2013
Navigator of the Seas - Dec 2013 & May 2014

Old August 8th, 2012, 10:19 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimnbigd View Post
One cruise directory we had called it "A plastic piece of ship."
HA! Sounds like an accurate description!

The TA we're going to talk to is swamped right now taking care of racefans coming to town for the Bristol races in a few weeks, but after that, we're going to meet with her. After the comments made here and viewing cabin photos, I think connected rooms are the way to go.

We've all got some questions to ask the TA and I'm wondering if any of you veteran cruisers have any tips on what to ask for.

~Deb

Old August 8th, 2012, 10:27 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
I think connected rooms are the way to go.
I would not want connected cabins.

Old August 8th, 2012, 11:34 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
HA! Sounds like an accurate description!

The TA we're going to talk to is swamped right now taking care of racefans coming to town for the Bristol races in a few weeks, but after that, we're going to meet with her. After the comments made here and viewing cabin photos, I think connected rooms are the way to go.

We've all got some questions to ask the TA and I'm wondering if any of you veteran cruisers have any tips on what to ask for.

~Deb
Is the travel agent someone who has cruised a lot? If not, you may need to find another who knows the ships and lines.

Also, depending on when you want to go, some of the lines are offering good deals right now for the very start of the winter season, once the ships come back from Europe. Early December, before the holidays start, early January, often the first sailing of the new year just after the holidays, or
The very end of the winter season in March/April tend to be less expensive. If you find what you consider a deal, don't wait to book!

Also consider a few other things. Are any of you smokers? If so, look at the restrictions on the various lines. For example, Celebrity does offer a package where you can purchase unlimited drinks, but they also have the most restrictive smoking rules. They do not allow smoking inside anywhere. Only outside in designated areas, and never on Individual balconies. There is a $250 fee if caught and they reserve the right to disembark the offending passenger.

Carnival Elation Dec 2010 almost turned me off cruising
Celebrity Eclipse 2012 showed me what it really is!
Celebrity Reflection February 2013 * Celebrity Solstice May 2013 California Coastal * Celebrity Equinox February 2014 *
Celebrity Equinox June 2014

Old August 8th, 2012, 01:08 PM
Charter Member - 10,000+ Club

I agree that sometimes a 7 day cruise is better then a 5 day one.

for one- your options are a lot more.
not many sailings for 4-5 day cruises except on older ships.

the best balcony is on the carnival spirit class. (legend, miracle, Pride and Spirit.

http://www.travelingnuts.com/2011cru...s/DSCN0188.JPG

but sad to say there is only two on each ship that hold 2 people.
the third holds 4.

this class ship also has an inside connecting to a balcony cabin if looking to keep costs down. (located forward on decks 5 up.

the agent you are looking to book with sounds like she may not have experinces with cruises.

please look for some one with experience.

when you are looking to book you want a deck plan. your cabins should be between cabin space and away from public areas.

the higher you go the more you will be paying,.

if someone experieces motion sickenss you want to be midship./

closer to the aft elevator as this is where you dine, swim, sun etc. majority of day is spent in that area.

. o ..
o . o o.o
...oo
__[]__
__|_o_o_o\__
""""""""""/
. .. . /
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Old August 17th, 2012, 09:59 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
I finally registered after reading all I could on this board. What a gold mine this place is!!

Next summer (May/June) Hubby and I along with another couple WILL be on a cruise. We want to do a 5 day cruise of the Eastern Caribbean. We will be meeting with a TA in the next week or so. Here are some of my concerns/questions:

We would like to stay in one cabin, with a balcony. If there is a couch that pulls out to a full size bed, we're good with that. What are y'all's experience with this?

Hubby is concerned about his bar bill...he is a beer drinker. What are the best ways to deal with this? I think some cruises offer a $$ a day for all the beer you can drink. How has that worked for y'all? As for me...I'll have rum runners filled with Capt. Morgan.

Shopping...I admit it...this is one of the things I'm most looking forward to. I know it depends on what ports we hit, but what ports offer the best shopping? How far is the shopping from the ports?

Excersions....which ones do you recommend?

~TNDeb
UPDATES:

We've decided to try a 6 day cruise and are looking at Carnival Freedom's western route, with stops in Key West, Cayman Island and Ocho Rios. Taking the city tram in Key West looks interesting and from all the comments I've read about Ocho Rios, I'm thinking of taking advantage of any Spa specials on that day. Any suggestions on what to do in Cayman would be greatly appreciated.

The TA we're using does have cruise experience, and I'm comfy with that.

We're definately flying in the day before and out the day after. Does anyone have any recommendations on a motel in the Ft Lauderdale area that offers shuttle to/from the airport and port? Also one that is within walking distance to a Wal-Mart/Walgreens/K-Mart/Beverage store?

The 4 of us have traveled together quite a bit. We always share a room. We spent 10 days together 2 years ago on a Vegas/Charlotte vacation and sharing a room was part of the fun. As I mentioned in another post, we're looking at both sharing a stateroom and getting connecting rooms. It will boil down to the cost.

I'm SO glad I found this site...what a wealth of knowledge it offers. I've got to admit...I'm addicted!

Y'all have a GREAT day!

~TnDeb

Last edited by TNDeb; August 17th, 2012 at 10:00 AM.

Old August 17th, 2012, 10:13 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
UPDATES:

We've decided to try a 6 day cruise and are looking at Carnival Freedom's western route, with stops in Key West, Cayman Island and Ocho Rios. Taking the city tram in Key West looks interesting and from all the comments I've read about Ocho Rios, I'm thinking of taking advantage of any Spa specials on that day. Any suggestions on what to do in Cayman would be greatly appreciated.

The TA we're using does have cruise experience, and I'm comfy with that.

We're definately flying in the day before and out the day after. Does anyone have any recommendations on a motel in the Ft Lauderdale area that offers shuttle to/from the airport and port? Also one that is within walking distance to a Wal-Mart/Walgreens/K-Mart/Beverage store?

The 4 of us have traveled together quite a bit. We always share a room. We spent 10 days together 2 years ago on a Vegas/Charlotte vacation and sharing a room was part of the fun. As I mentioned in another post, we're looking at both sharing a stateroom and getting connecting rooms. It will boil down to the cost.

I'm SO glad I found this site...what a wealth of knowledge it offers. I've got to admit...I'm addicted!

Y'all have a GREAT day!

~TnDeb
The Embassy Suites is just in front of a shopping center that has a Publix grocery store and a Total Wine store that has an excellent selection of wines, beers and liquor. Their prices are better than the grocery prices. There is a Walgreens just down the street and plenty of other shopping in easy walking distance. You can also walk down to the pier the afternoon before your cruise and watch other ships' sail aways! There is a shuttle, but a taxi will cost you less if you can fit your stuff in and it's much faster than waiting for everyone to load their stuff into a bus.

The ES has a 2 room suite with kitchenette and they have a free managers cocktail hour with mixed drinks, beer and wine and snacks. There is also a full breakfast included in the rate.

http://www.hilton.com/search/es/us/f.../fll?WT.srch=1
http://www.theharborshops.com/

Old August 17th, 2012, 11:29 AM
Cool Cruiser

4 adults in a cabin can be done. Not with double beds, though, I wouldn't have thought - two singles and two bunks would leave more floor space. You do need to be people who don't take hours (or even 1 hour) to dress for dinner.

As for cutting the cost of beer, just drink less. There's no other way. (Unless P&O or some other British line are basing ships in the Caribbean at that time - far more reasonable prices, and nothing like so uptight about carry-ons.)

Last edited by dsrdsrdsr; August 17th, 2012 at 11:31 AM.

Old August 17th, 2012, 11:31 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
As I mentioned in another post, we're looking at both sharing a stateroom and getting connecting rooms. It will boil down to the cost
This is the Carnival Freedom (and just about any other cruise ship) with four people in one room:
You need to consider a lot more than the cost.

Been There Done That: Crown Princess April 2013, Crown Princess Oct/Nov 2012, Grand Princess Dec 2011, Sapphire Princess March 2011, Emerald Princess July 2010, Maui by Kayak March 2008, Grand Princess March 2007 (Man Overboard Cruise) Carnival Spirit March 2006, Golden Princess June 2004, Star Princess July 2002, Ryndam June 1998, Nordic Prince 1986, Norway 1984

Last edited by cherylandtk; August 17th, 2012 at 11:43 AM.

Old August 17th, 2012, 04:39 PM
Charter Member - 10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylandtk View Post

You need to consider a lot more than the cost.

I agree. If you are splitting the costs-- who gets the upper beds?

who gets the lions share of one bathroom-- especially of formal night.

I have done 5 to an inside cabin-- but four of those were teens.
I would not even consider doing this with my BFF and her spouse.

I bet the second cabin will be about 200. more.

. o ..
o . o o.o
...oo
__[]__
__|_o_o_o\__
""""""""""/
. .. . /
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Last edited by serene56; August 17th, 2012 at 04:40 PM.

Old August 21st, 2012, 01:18 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Rookie Cruisers 4 adults

Hi, if you haven't already booked your cabins, another great website to go on is DeckPlanGenius.com. They have terrific information on all the cruise line ships regarding size of rooms, where they are located, what's above and below them and whether there are any pros or cons to the location.

It can definately help you with your final choices. Before I found this website I felt that booking a cabin was sort of like a crapshoot. I've haven't cruised before either, even though I have crossed the Atlantic 3 times as a child. I am pretty confident that the cabin I finally chose for my first cruise is going to be a good one. Good luck and listen to all these experts: don't share a cabin with another couple. Get out some duct tape and mark off the size of the cabins and balcony and find out if you can live comfortably for 7 days in that space. Not!!!

Old August 22nd, 2012, 10:44 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by citygirl62 View Post
Hi, if you haven't already booked your cabins, another great website to go on is DeckPlanGenius.com. They have terrific information on all the cruise line ships regarding size of rooms, where they are located, what's above and below them and whether there are any pros or cons to the location.

It can definately help you with your final choices. Before I found this website I felt that booking a cabin was sort of like a crapshoot. I've haven't cruised before either, even though I have crossed the Atlantic 3 times as a child. I am pretty confident that the cabin I finally chose for my first cruise is going to be a good one. Good luck and listen to all these experts: don't share a cabin with another couple. Get out some duct tape and mark off the size of the cabins and balcony and find out if you can live comfortably for 7 days in that space. Not!!!
THANK YOU for this info...that site is packed with great information!!!

Old August 23rd, 2012, 07:58 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
THANK YOU for this info...that site is packed with great information!!!
Also look at cruise deck plans dot com. This is a "membership" site that costs a couple dollars to join, but has actual pictures that were taken and submitted by people staying in those cabins. You can easily repay yourself for joining by submitting your own pictures after your cruise. They pay $.50 for each picture submitted with no limit as long as they are legitimate photos of the cabin. Including pictures of balconies, in many cases. I have submitted very detailed pictures to include fridge's location and inside of fridge, plugs, hair dryer location, size of bathroom and closet, size of safe inside/out, etc.