Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Discussion Topics > Cruise Air

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old August 17th, 2012, 09:13 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Qantas Carry On Luggage Question

I am not sure if this is the correct place to ask this. I need to buy a carryon bag and someone suggested a rolling duffel. Does anyone know if a rolling duffel bag 20"x12"x12" or 18.7"x13.2"x10.6" will fit in the overhead compartment? I know we are allowed 45" and 15 pounds on our flights but I wasn't sure how to break down the bag size and I don't want to have to check this small bag.
The aircraft we are flying are:
AA 757
Qantas 747, 738
Jet Connect 73H
Thanks.

Old August 17th, 2012, 09:37 AM
10,000+ Club

The first number (20) is a key unit. It should work just fine.

Old August 17th, 2012, 09:39 AM
Cool Cruiser

Keep an eye on weight. Qantas do have a weight limit for carry-on baggage, and while I rarely see them enforce it, I have seen it before. If you have a backpack or something, that's no issue, but when you start getting to the larger bags, they may become interested in its weight.

Old August 17th, 2012, 10:24 AM
Cool Cruiser

Will any bag that equals the 45" fit into the overhead compartment? I am going to keep it at the 15 pounds or less.
Thanks.

Old August 17th, 2012, 11:37 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMLLEL View Post
Will any bag that equals the 45" fit into the overhead compartment? I am going to keep it at the 15 pounds or less.
Thanks.
From their website:

All International First/Business/Premium Economy:
  • 2 x 115cm (45in) bags or
  • 1 x 115cm (45in) bag plus 1 x 185cm (73in) non rigid garment bag
Economy:
  • 1 x 115cm (45in) bag or
  • 1 x 185cm (73in) non rigid garment bag

Ad Sponsored By
Old August 17th, 2012, 05:38 PM
Cool Cruiser

When we took Qantas (out of LAX) they weighed everyone's carry on luggage.

Old August 17th, 2012, 07:34 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks Strawberry. I had a feeling that is what would happen. I'm going to be very careful and keep it under 15 pounds.

Old August 19th, 2012, 12:28 PM
10,000+ Club

Qantas does weigh carry on luggage and counts the number of pieces you have. Most especially in economy.

They absolutely will not allow you to carry on a heavy bag with the expectation of putting it in an overhead pin.

Also take no food products into Australia as they use sniffer dogs (mostly beagles) to make sure you don't and fines are high. Very high!

When you arrive in Australia, there will be a really good Duty Free shop not far from where you get off the plane. Don't pass it up. You will have good shopping.

Old August 19th, 2012, 12:46 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach1213 View Post
Economy:

• 1 x 115cm (45in) bag or
  • 1 x 185cm (73in) non rigid garment bag

That's funny, because I wonder how many garment bags they can accomodate in coach.

Old August 20th, 2012, 11:58 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6rugrats View Post
[/b]
That's funny, because I wonder how many garment bags they can accomodate in coach.
I have never seen a gament bag of any sort carried on to a Qantas flight. Perhaps it happens.

Old August 20th, 2012, 01:08 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6rugrats View Post
Well, if you scrunch them up, quite a few can be stuffed into an overhead bin.....

"Anybody who believes they can out-think the airlines' revenue/yield management computer algorithms is, in my view, delusional." -- Gardyloo

"It doesn't really make a blind bit of difference what other people are paying since they're traveling from different airports, on different days, at different times of the year." -- fbgd

"Daddy he hates airplanes, Baby loves to fly. The Lady wants to know the reason why." -- Michael Franks

My standard response to all the questions of "Can I make that early flight home?" or "Can I take a bag that is oversized without paying?":
"Well, you gotta ask yourself....do you feel lucky? Well do you?" -- Inspector Harry Callahan

Old August 20th, 2012, 03:55 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Purchased a new Luggage scale today--shocked that my older-and -well travelled 21" carry-on weighed a little over 7 lbs! Checked it on the people scale--still the same.... UGH! Glad I have a 17" one that is much lighter for a pesky SAS within Europe flight with a 8 kg limit.

Old August 20th, 2012, 07:22 PM
Cool Cruiser

We flew Qantas from LAX to Sydney and they put a scale right outside the entrance and randomly weighed some luggage. I knew the dimensions were OK for my carry on bag and it would fit in the overhead but I made sure it weighed within 15-17 lbs. I carried my jacket with me too make sure it was not overweight and then stuffed it in the overhead and there was plenty of space available because it was the A380 which is their biggest aircraft.

Old August 20th, 2012, 08:01 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks everyone. We purchased 2 rolling duffel bags today from North Face that weigh 5 pounds each, to carry on, and a luggage scale to make sure we don't "overload". I think that might do the trick for us. I am really going to try and not pack everything in my closet on this trip!!!