Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Royal Caribbean International

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Royal Caribbean International
- Read thousands of Royal Caribbean Cruise Reviews
- Compare the best Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals
- Write a Royal Caribbean Cruise Review
- Find Your Royal Caribbean Roll Call
See posts about:
Adventure of the Seas
Enchantment of the Seas
Independence of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
Quantum of the Seas
Splendour of the Seas

Allure of the Seas
Explorer of the Seas
Jewel of the Seas
Mariner of the Seas
Radiance of the Seas
Vision of the Seas

Anthem of the Seas
Freedom of the Seas
Legend of the Seas
Navigator of the Seas
Rhapsody of the Seas
Voyager of the Seas

Brilliance of the Seas
Grandeur of the Seas
Liberty of the Seas
Oasis of the Seas
Serenade of the Seas

Old August 26th, 2012, 03:39 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Snow issues on sailing day?!?!

My family is going on a cruise in Feb out of Bayonne NJ and I was just wondering how much snow has to fall for it to be an issue? If a true blizzard hit NJ can they still come in/go out? We have never sailed out of an area where snow was an issue and was curious if anyone has any insight on what to be prepared for. Thanks!

Carnival Glory 2/2009
Royal Caribbean Mariner 2/2006
Royal Caribbean Monarch 12/2002
Carnival Inspiration 5/1996

Old August 26th, 2012, 03:45 PM
10,000+ Club

Been there done that...

The issue isn't so much the SHIP, as the shoreside staff, passengers and supplies...the ship will sail, likely a bit late. I think we left maybe 2 hours late due to late arriving flights and delays loading supplies and luggage....

the roads to the pier (NJ Turnpike, and the road in) will/should be plowed...BUT the parking lot may be a mess...

we were on time, but disembarkation was delayed due to late arrival of shoreside staff. We were also on a B2B so we didn't really care

That said...a number of pax had to catch up in San Juan....which was our first port (not sure how it worked with the PVSA/Jones Act... but about 40 people boarded, including the Captain-they were due to swap in Bayonne...)

I would suggest booking a cancellable room near EWR on both sides....if you do not need it, cancel. Reason being, other roads may be yucky, and if you wait to the last minute, all the airlines will snag all the rooms....meaning, if you can't get your flight out/or drive all the way home, you'll at least have a crash pad....

It's sort of fun to see a little snow on the ship! the crew goes crazy!! most haven't seen it...and a couple enterprising crew made a 6 inch tall snow man....hysterical.....

Cape Liberty Info blog
Meg's YouTube Videos

Cape Liberty Area Hotel Photos

Click ship names below to go to albums!

My Cruise History:
Explorer of the Seas x12, Freedom x 1, Serenade x2, Summit x3, Jewel x1, Adventure, x1, Grandeur x2, Navigator x1, Enchantment, x4, CCL Pride x2, CCL Miracle x1
218 Total Nights At Sea!
illegitmi non carborundum kmt

Last edited by megr1125; August 26th, 2012 at 03:46 PM.

Old August 26th, 2012, 04:07 PM
5,000+ Club

FWIW, the weather may or may not be an issue. I'd make sure I was there a day early though as that gives you some room to adjust if things are bad. Enjoy your cruise.

Old August 26th, 2012, 05:17 PM
Cool Cruiser

Also, as a pilot for a large regional airline that flies in and out of EWR-if you are planning on flying in I would have multiple back-up plans. February in EWR can be quite unpleasant and airlines cancel flights early and often with the new Passenger Bill of Rights.

Old August 26th, 2012, 05:54 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by megr1125 View Post
That said...a number of pax had to catch up in San Juan....which was our first port (not sure how it worked with the PVSA/Jones Act... but about 40 people boarded, including the Captain-they were due to swap in Bayonne...)
The PVSA has an exception for transporting passengers to/from Puerto Rico. Until such time that there is a US flagged passenger vessel qualified to make the sailing from the US mainland, foreign flagged vessels can do it without penalty.

Ad Sponsored By
Old August 26th, 2012, 06:15 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by rissandave View Post
Also, as a pilot for a large regional airline that flies in and out of EWR-if you are planning on flying in I would have multiple back-up plans. February in EWR can be quite unpleasant and airlines cancel flights early and often with the new Passenger Bill of Rights.
EWR can be unpleasant on a good day in June too. Every morning when I am watching the news Logan seems to have flights delayed or canceled down to Newark. What is wrong with that airport anyway?

Old August 26th, 2012, 07:15 PM
Cool Cruiser

Luckily we are planning on driving (only a 5-6 hour drive and we have a 4 wheel drive truck in case of bad weather) so my concern is more about the actual ability to depart port then the airports. But thanks for the input...you are right about the weather being dicey up here that time of year! Hoping that it is less risky "down south" in NJ

Carnival Glory 2/2009
Royal Caribbean Mariner 2/2006
Royal Caribbean Monarch 12/2002
Carnival Inspiration 5/1996

Old August 26th, 2012, 07:20 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHcruisergirl View Post
Luckily we are planning on driving (only a 5-6 hour drive and we have a 4 wheel drive truck in case of bad weather) so my concern is more about the actual ability to depart port then the airports. But thanks for the input...you are right about the weather being dicey up here that time of year! Hoping that it is less risky "down south" in NJ
I was going to mention that you could always just jump in your car if the forecast wasn't looking so good. Just be careful when you get to the RI boarder. Unlike NH, ME, and VT, RI has no clue how to get snow off of the roads.

Old August 26th, 2012, 07:22 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
we always cruise in the winter thats why two days early minimum. we fly in.

Old August 26th, 2012, 07:24 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_K View Post
The PVSA has an exception for transporting passengers to/from Puerto Rico. Until such time that there is a US flagged passenger vessel qualified to make the sailing from the US mainland, foreign flagged vessels can do it without penalty.
cool!! good to know....

Cape Liberty Info blog
Meg's YouTube Videos

My Cruise History:
Explorer of the Seas x12, Freedom x 1, Serenade x2, Summit x3, Jewel x1, Adventure, x1, Grandeur x2, Navigator x1, Enchantment, x4, CCL Pride x2, CCL Miracle x1
218 Total Nights At Sea!

Old August 26th, 2012, 07:26 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Been there done that...

The issue isn't so much the SHIP, as the shoreside staff, passengers and supplies...the ship will sail, likely a bit late. I think we left maybe 2 hours late due to late arriving flights and delays loading supplies and luggage....

the roads to the pier (NJ Turnpike, and the road in) will/should be plowed...BUT the parking lot may be a mess...

we were on time, but disembarkation was delayed due to late arrival of shoreside staff. We were also on a B2B so we didn't really care

I would suggest booking a cancellable room near EWR on both sides....if you do not need it, cancel. Reason being, other roads may be yucky, and if you wait to the last minute, all the airlines will snag all the rooms....meaning, if you can't get your flight out/or drive all the way home, you'll at least have a crash pad....

It's sort of fun to see a little snow on the ship! the crew goes crazy!! most haven't seen it...and a couple enterprising crew made a 6 inch tall snow man....hysterical.....
I so remember that....Meg!!

UP NEXT...
RCCL Adventure of the Seas 2-8 and 2-15, 2015

THEN:
RCCL Serenade of the Seas 12/15/2015
NCL Sky Country Cruising 10/23/2015
RCCL Serenade of the Seas 2-15-2016
RCCL Anthem of the Seas 3-7-2016

245 nights on Royal Caribbean!
11 nights on Carnival!
7 nights on Celebrity!

Old August 26th, 2012, 07:34 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
My family is going on a cruise in Feb out of Bayonne NJ and I was just wondering how much snow has to fall for it to be an issue? If a true blizzard hit NJ can they still come in/go out?
Snow has no effect on a cruise ship leaving port.

Old August 26th, 2012, 07:42 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
cool!! good to know....
That's also why you can have cruises like the Bayonne-San Juan one Brilliance is doing in November.

Old August 26th, 2012, 08:15 PM
5,000+ Club

I would second the suggestion to reserve a room for the return and cancel if not needed.

We took a land based vacation 2 years ago. As we flew across the country the forecast kept getting worse. On the day we were to fly back-- Washington, DC was expecting light snow. (up to 2 inches) When we arrived at dusk we had to sweep 7inches off of our truck. It was still snowing like crazy. We got half way home and had to get a room for the night. We had 12+ inches by morning.

You have a reasonable idea what the weather will be when you leave. But, you can never count on the long range forecast for the return.

Previous Cruises:Carnival Ecstasy– July 2000: Mexico; Carnival Fantasy– August 2006: Bahamas; Carnival Pride –October 2009: Bahamas; Celebrity Constellation–March 2010: Panama Canal; Enchantment of the Seas–June 2010: Eastern Caribbean, September 2010: New England and Canada, March 2012: Southern Caribbean; Celebrity Mercury–November 2010 Eastern Caribbean and January 2011 Bahamas and Florida; Carnival Legend –April 2011: Western Caribbean; Radiance of the Seas--Alaska; August 2012, Explorer of the Seas--Bermuda: October 2012; Legend of the Seas –Transatlantic, October 2013; Grandeur of the Seas –June 2005: Bermuda, April 2013: Caribbean reposition cruise; March 2014: Western Caribbean; Brilliance of the Seas--North Atlantic TA: August 2014; Vision of the Seas--Southern Caribbean: November 2014

Old August 26th, 2012, 08:18 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_K View Post
That's also why you can have cruises like the Bayonne-San Juan one Brilliance is doing in November.
duh... sometimes i am goofy...but that repo gets to a distant foreign port before ending up in SJU so i never really thought about it.....

ahhh...let me not even think about it anymore...i will need a few glasses of wine...

Cape Liberty Info blog
Meg's YouTube Videos

My Cruise History:
218 Total Nights At Sea!

Old August 26th, 2012, 08:26 PM
Cool Cruiser

you guys are to quick for me.i was gonna say just drive but i was beat to it.and as to roads in our fair state you can feel the difference, literally when you cross the boarder
NCl jewel-12-12-10-bahamas.
Crown Princess-3-5-11 western carib
NCL Jewel 12-3-11 carib
RCCL Oasis 9-15-12 carib
NCL-gem 3-23-13 carib
NCL-Breakaway 9-15-13 Bermuda

Old August 26th, 2012, 09:43 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Boy View Post
I was going to mention that you could always just jump in your car if the forecast wasn't looking so good. Just be careful when you get to the RI boarder. Unlike NH, ME, and VT, RI has no clue how to get snow off of the roads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by don24 View Post
you guys are to quick for me.i was gonna say just drive but i was beat to it.and as to roads in our fair state you can feel the difference, literally when you cross the boarder
If they're smart, the quicker route would be to go around us anyway. Probably safer too.

Old August 26th, 2012, 10:31 PM
Cool Cruiser

We have cruised out of Manhattan and Baltimore almost every winter, and had no problems at all, even with significant snow.

Old August 27th, 2012, 12:49 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Boy View Post
EWR can be unpleasant on a good day in June too. Every morning when I am watching the news Logan seems to have flights delayed or canceled down to Newark. What is wrong with that airport anyway?
We call it the 1-2-3 rule:

1 Cloud within
2 miles equals
3 hour delays

A two runway airport can only handle about 40-60 arrivals per hour. The NY/NJ Port Authority allows the airlines to schedule up to 80.

Old August 27th, 2012, 02:23 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rissandave View Post
ANYtime in EWR can be unpleasant! Not just February. LOL. I also work for an airline, and have had MANY delays in and out of EWR on perfectly clear days!

Sailed all current RCCL ships except Legend and Splendour

60 completed cruises

20 future bookings

Next few...

Jan 10, 2015...Vision
Jan 17, 2015...Vision
Feb 06, 2015...Legend
Mar 21, 2015...Serenade
Mar 28, 2015...Serenade

740 cruise points completed