Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Australia & New Zealand Cruisers

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old August 30th, 2012, 07:52 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default 1st time solo cruiser - where to go?

G'day, I'm looking at a cruise around Feb- March 2013 as my next holiday.

I guess the title is misleading as its not my 1st time cruising as I have some vague youthfull memories of cruising on the 'Fairstar' back in the mid-80's & sharing a 4 berth cabin, showers that flooded, feeling like i was trapped in an RSL club for 7 days and the sound of water slapping against the ship as our cabin was at water level. hehe.

I reckon the ships (like me) have changed considerablly over the years so I'm tossing up between a solo cruise or 2 weeks Intrepid trip in Vietnam. Yep, from one extreme to the other!

I've seen some nice cruises (ex-Sydney) that either do the 'circuit' around the Sth Pacific, Sydney to Cairns/Tasmania & Sydney to NZ, they all sound interesting and compare well price-wise to 2 weeks in Vietnam (bl**dy single supplement!)

I'm 49 male, still a bit of 'kid' at heart and like having fun on holiday so not ready for the "bingo-set" yet (haha), just looking for good fun time and hopefully meet up with a few other like minded solo'ers on the high seas.

Any tips / feedback is appreciated.

Cheers

Brett

Old August 30th, 2012, 08:07 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

I suggest you would meet more solos and people who into having 'fun' on a P&O cruise than on Princess. I have met a couple of solos on Princess who were disappointed at the small number of solos on board.

Personally, we prefer Princess, but the vast majority of passengers are mature couples.

Old August 30th, 2012, 08:07 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettus1963 View Post
G'day, I'm looking at a cruise around Feb- March 2013 as my next holiday.

I guess the title is misleading as its not my 1st time cruising as I have some vague youthfull memories of cruising on the 'Fairstar' back in the mid-80's & sharing a 4 berth cabin, showers that flooded, feeling like i was trapped in an RSL club for 7 days and the sound of water slapping against the ship as our cabin was at water level. hehe.

I reckon the ships (like me) have changed considerablly over the years so I'm tossing up between a solo cruise or 2 weeks Intrepid trip in Vietnam. Yep, from one extreme to the other!

I've seen some nice cruises (ex-Sydney) that either do the 'circuit' around the Sth Pacific, Sydney to Cairns/Tasmania & Sydney to NZ, they all sound interesting and compare well price-wise to 2 weeks in Vietnam (bl**dy single supplement!)

I'm 49 male, still a bit of 'kid' at heart and like having fun on holiday so not ready for the "bingo-set" yet (haha), just looking for good fun time and hopefully meet up with a few other like minded solo'ers on the high seas.

Any tips / feedback is appreciated.

Cheers

Brett
I did a three week Intrepid Trip Best of Vietnam last year. Had a fabulous time.

I'm having a similar delimmea for a trip in February. Either 2 weeks with Intrepid visiting Cambodia or 11 days cruising the South Pacific.

Upcoming Cruises

Completed Cruises
Ruby Princess TA October 2012| Dawn Princess New Zealand December 2012 | Ruby Princess Eastern Caribbean | Celebrity Equinox TA April 2013 | Sea Princess Auckland to Sydney August 2013| Dawn Princess Sydney - Hobart - Melbourne November 2013 |Diamond Princess Tasmania December 2013 | Rhapsody of Seas South Pacific January 2014 | PO UK Arcadia - Sydney to Melbourne February 2014 | Dawn Princess - Melbourne to Auckland March 2014 |Carnival Spirit South Pacific August 2014|Dawn Princess - Melbourne to Auckland October 2014 |

Old August 30th, 2012, 08:25 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks peep's for your feedback,

I forgot to add in my original post are there any pros/cons in doing a cruise within Australia (Cairns or Tasmania) vs a Sth Pacfic cruise?

G'day Sarah, I feel your pain trying to decide! lol!. I've read so many forums about Vietnam and Cruising that I think i'm gonna resort to tossing a coin and let it decide for me! (has anyone ever done that regarding a holiday? let the coins decide? heads cruise / tails vietnam! hehe)

I live inner SW of Sydney so can roll out my luggage onto the train and 30mins later be able to roll onto the ship, unpack and start my holiday straight away, no waiting at airports.

Anyway, thanks again

Last edited by brettus1963; August 30th, 2012 at 08:44 PM.

Old August 30th, 2012, 08:41 PM
5,000+ Club

Hi Brett, p&o australia have a singles page on facebook for cruising, i'm not sure if i can put up are link or not so i wont.....you can go on there if you wish and suss it out if you like

Ad Sponsored By
Old August 31st, 2012, 05:53 AM
Cool Cruiser

I did the "toss the coin" choice between cruising solo from Aus or flying to USA and cruising the Caribbean with a Singles group. The USA won.....had such a great time and met so many new friends that I'm heading back there again in November for another group cruise
Past Cuises:P&O Aust., Carnival Liberty Oct 2011, Carnival Desitiny Nov 2011, Norwegien Epic Nov 2011, Carnival Destiny Nov 2011, Carnival Valor 10 Nov 2012, Carnival Valor 18 Nov 2012, Carnival Spirit - Hon to Sydney 30 Sept 2012, Carnival Breeze 29 Dec 2013, Carnival Liberty 4 Jan 2014, Carnival Liberty 11 Jan 2014

Old August 31st, 2012, 05:56 AM
Cool Cruiser

Hi there, I did a Honolulu to Sydney solo last year on The Radiance of the Seas and loved every minute of it. Met lots of people who I am still in touch with . You should check it out, the price is not too bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 2006 - Diamond Princess Mexican Riviera
Feb 2008 - Caribbean Princess - Eastern Caribbean
Mar 2009 - Sapphire Princess - Mexican Riviera
Nov 2009 - QM2 - Caribbean
Nov 2010 - Celebrity Solstice - Eastern Caribbean
Sep 2011 - Radiance of the Seas - HNL to Sydney
Feb 2012 - Rhapsody of the Seas - No where
May 2012 - Oceania Marina - Med
Jan 2013 - Voyager of the Seas -Sth Pacific & NZ
Apr 2013 - Celebrity Solstice - Sydney to HNL
May2014 - Oceania Riviera - Med

Old August 31st, 2012, 03:02 PM
5,000+ Club

If I were a single 49 year old man - there is no way that I would be going on a cruiseship, especially an Aussie one. I vote for the Intrepid trip to Vietnam

Barry

A review of our 28 day cruise to Tahiti on Pacific Pearl.... Pacific Pearl to Tahiti

Pics of our "3 Queens" cruise with Cunard--May/Jun 2012...Plane, Cunard and train to Germany

Pics of our 14 nights on Voyager of the Seas -- to NZ...On a BIG ship to NZ

A report of the inaugural cruise by Pacific Dawn to Papua New Guinea ports...Pacific Dawn to PNG

Ships sailed on since 2007

P&O Pacific Star
P&O Pacific Sun x 2
P&O Pacific Dawn x 3
P&O Pacific Pearl
P&O Oriana
P&O Arcadia
Queen Victoria
Queen Elizabeth
Queen Mary 2 x 2
Voyager of the Seas
Radiance of the Seas
Carnival Spirit

Old August 31st, 2012, 08:13 PM
Cool Cruiser

I did a quick 'toss the coin' over a beer last night, came up heads (cruise) still wasn't happy with the results so did it again (Vietnam) Just shows that I can't decide atm but I'm not stressing, i'll leave that for when i decide to book! hehe.

I droppin in to a few TA's yesterday to grab a few cruise/Vietnam brouchures & spoke to some TA's, there is a Cruise Expo happening next weekend in Sydney it's also 'Cruise Week' next week, Harvey World Travel (or 'hardly world travelled' as i call them) gave me a 'heads up' that a lot of specials will be around next week, only available at the TA, not online.

TA also recommended not going on a P&O as these are mostly aimed towards families etc. Mind you, they have a 9 day cruise on Pacific Pearl, 8 March 2013, outside room deck 9 $1699 + $200 on-board credit, that's a pretty good price i think.

Anyway, thanks again for your continuing feedback,

cheers

Brett

Old August 31st, 2012, 08:16 PM
Cool Cruiser

I have to agree with bazzaw. But it largely depends on OPs boredom threshold

And yes, a travel agent is always a good idea. It's been a while since I was on a P&O ship but "floating RSL" is a pretty accurate description [runs and hides]

Last edited by room010; August 31st, 2012 at 08:22 PM.

Old August 31st, 2012, 08:55 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Brett, you have to decide what type of holiday you want. For me a cruise on the south Pacific is a veges out type of hol. travelling in Vietnam is about experiencing culture and seeing a range of different places and the local food is delicious. Intrepid is really grass roots travelling. I have done there trips with them so far all been great.

Upcoming Cruises

Completed Cruises
Ruby Princess TA October 2012| Dawn Princess New Zealand December 2012 | Ruby Princess Eastern Caribbean | Celebrity Equinox TA April 2013 | Sea Princess Auckland to Sydney August 2013| Dawn Princess Sydney - Hobart - Melbourne November 2013 |Diamond Princess Tasmania December 2013 | Rhapsody of Seas South Pacific January 2014 | PO UK Arcadia - Sydney to Melbourne February 2014 | Dawn Princess - Melbourne to Auckland March 2014 |Carnival Spirit South Pacific August 2014|Dawn Princess - Melbourne to Auckland October 2014 |

Old August 31st, 2012, 09:16 PM
Cool Cruiser

I think it really depends on what you want out of a holiday.

I'm 46 and I travel solo most of the time and did a 7 night south pacific cruise Feb just gone but as part of a group.

I found that the cruise was a really relaxing holiday and I could just shut myself off from everything at home.

I have done solo trips to Asia and they were full of great food and adventures and meeting new people.

So I think you need work out what you want from the holiday first

Old August 31st, 2012, 09:56 PM
Cool Cruiser

Hi Brett,

My 28 yr old daughter recently did a cruise on her own!!

She wanted her own room and she didnt want to pay single supplement so she booked a studio on Norwegian Epic, leaving from Rome to Barcelona.
I warned her that most of the passegeners may be much, much older but she wasnt deterred.
Met lots of new people of all ages and was partying at the bars until late.
She loved all the ports, most of which she did independently.
Afterwards she spent a few days in Mykonos and Santorini and loved every minute of it. (Fortunately she kept in touch with us constantly, to ease our worries.)

She said she had an absolute ball - even more fun than with her girlfriends or a boyfriend.
( However, that hasn't deterred her from wanting to join us on our Baltic/Russia cruise next year)

I suggest you read the "single cruising" section of CC for some tips on interesting ports and ships.

http://clocks.cruisecritic.com/countdown.pl?image=Beach-8&name=skipal&date=1-4-2014&text=another cruise, another adventure&ship=Norwegian Spirit[/IMG][/url]

Old August 31st, 2012, 10:11 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by room010 View Post
And yes, a travel agent is always a good idea. It's been a while since I was on a P&O ship but "floating RSL" is a pretty accurate description [runs and hides]
It really depends on the cruise P&O is doing and what time of year the cruise is.

We have done 8 cruises on P&O and have never really found them like a "floating RSL", some of the cruises with have done with P&O we have had a few more older people on-board compared to other P&O cruises we have done, but never felt like the ship was a "floating RSL".

If you want a ship that's a "floating RSL" try Holland America!

[ducks! and hides]

Past Cruises:

Pacific Star - 11 July 2006 - R622 ~ Exotic Intermissions - 11 nights
Pacific Star - 25 February 2008 - R808 ~ Great Barrier Bliss - Australian East Coast - 12 nights - Missed Townsville - Pacific Star's last cruise.
Pacific Sun - 11 June 2008 - N823 ~ Coral Dream - Fiji and Tonga - 11 nights - Missed Niuafo'ou
HAL: Volendam - 19 December 2008 - New Zealand / Australia - 17 days.
Pacific Sun - 25 July 2009 - N923 ~ Island Fiesta - 10 nights - Missed Ouvea & Isle of Pines
Pacific Sun - 19 December 2009 - N001N ~ Flower Of Asia - 16 nights.
Sun Princess - 1 October 2010 - S017 ~ New Caledonia & Vanuatu - 12 nights.
Pacific Pearl - 26 June 2011 - P122 ~ Taste of the Tasman - 4 nights - B2B with:
Pacific Pearl - 1 July 2011 - P123 ~ Tahitian Treasures - 28 nights - Apia, Samoa, was cancelled.
Diamond Princess - 29 December 2011 - M201 ~ New Zealand / Australia - 13 nights.
Pacific Jewel - 19 May 2012 - J216 ~ Secret Treasures - 11 nights.
Diamond Princess - 26 November 2012 - M232 ~ Asia / Australia - 19 nights.
Sea Princess - 29 August 2013 - C308 ~ Auckland to Sydney - 4 days - B2B with:
Sea Princess - 2 September 2013 - C309N ~ Hawaii, Tahiti and South Pacific - 35 Days
Sun Princess - 25 January 2014 - S403 ~ Fiji & South Pacific - 14 Days.
Pacific Pearl - 6 June 2014 - P425 ~ Pacific Island Hopper - 9 nights.

Photos & Video: My Picasa Web Albums | My Youtube channel.

P&O UK Aurora in Auckland - 13/02/2012

Costa Deliziosa maiden visit & Volendam in Auckland - 14/02/2012

Legend of the Sea in Singapore - 30/11/2012

Carnival Spirit & Costa neoRomantica in Sydney - 16/12/2012

Old August 31st, 2012, 10:22 PM
Cool Cruiser

thanks guys for your replies.

My 'floating RSL' comment was aimed at 'Fairstar' when i cruised with them back sometime in the 80's.

Is it greedy to say "yes" I want a relaxing chilled holiday as well as the culture and all that Vietnam can throw at me!

So many choices! hehe

Old August 31st, 2012, 11:46 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettus1963 View Post
thanks guys for your replies.

My 'floating RSL' comment was aimed at 'Fairstar' when i cruised with them back sometime in the 80's.

Is it greedy to say "yes" I want a relaxing chilled holiday as well as the culture and all that Vietnam can throw at me!

So many choices! hehe
Greedy NO, sounds great to me

Pacific Sun 2009
Diamond Princess 2009
Pacific Dawn 2010
Rhapsody 2010
Rhapsody 2011
Radiance 2012
Voyager 2012
Rhapsody --Nov 2013

Old September 2nd, 2012, 03:39 AM
Cool Cruiser

If you want culture plus the chill out time...what about an Intrepid (or similar) Vietnam with a few days in Hoi Ann or another VN beach resort tacked on the end?

If you are in Sydney there's a Cruise Expo next Sunday might be worth dropping in to talk to the people from the cruise lines and TA's there.

I am voting Vietnam!
10-23-2014 Celebrity Solstice

Old September 2nd, 2012, 08:58 AM
Cool Cruiser

Maybe it's just me, but we were in Vietnam for a stopover on the way to and from London just recently and I hated it! It was dirty, noisy and generally not my idea of a good time. I'd especially hate to go there by myself. Take a cruise!

SHIPS I'VE SAILED ON...
1983 - ORIANA - SOUTH PACIFIC
1985 - ORIANA - SINGAPORE TO FREMANTLE
1989 - CANBERRA - WORLD CRUISE
2011 - PACIFIC SUN - SOUTH PACIFIC
2011 - PACIFIC PEARL - NEW ZEALAND
2012 - CARNIVAL SPIRIT - HONOLULU TO SYDNEY
2013 - RHAPSODY OF THE SEAS - SOUTH PACIFIC
2014 - SEA PRINCESS - BRISBANE TO SYDNEY
2014 - CARNIVAL LEGEND - SHORT CRUISE
2014 - MARINER OF THE SEAS - SINGAPORE TO SINGAPORE
2015 - VOYAGER OF THE SEAS - FREMANTLE TO SINGAPORE
2015 - QUANTUM OF THE SEAS - SINGAPORE TO SINGAPORE

SHIPS I'VE INSPECTED...
2013 - CELEBRITY SOLSTICE
2013 - VOYAGER OF THE SEAS
2014 - DIAMOND PRINCESS
2014 - RADIANCE OF THE SEAS
2014 - QUEEN MARY 2
2014 - COSTA DELIZIOSA

Last edited by Royalty X; September 2nd, 2012 at 09:00 AM.

Old September 2nd, 2012, 03:36 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by finetuneit View Post
Maybe it's just me, but we were in Vietnam for a stopover on the way to and from London just recently and I hated it! It was dirty, noisy and generally not my idea of a good time. I'd especially hate to go there by myself. Take a cruise!
8 hours in a port is not enough time to give any country the flick. If you want to see dirty and noisy try going to Cairo or New Delhi. Those two cities are at a whole new level. However, both those cities and the countries have a charm of their own and I wouldn't hesitate to visit again.

I didn't find Vietnam to be overly dirty. Noisy, yes at times with all the motobikes but you get used to it.

Nga Trang

Halong Bay

Upcoming Cruises

Completed Cruises

Last edited by icat2000; September 2nd, 2012 at 03:45 PM.

Old September 2nd, 2012, 05:48 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks peep's for your replies.

If you want dirty & noisy city, try living in London for 6 years like i did in the mid-90's!

I also have stayed in Cairo as a stop over from London for 3 days and i loved it. I've also travelled thru and loved Turkey as well as several trips to Thailand. I also intend on a Morroccan experience before i retire.

I had intended on Vietnam last year but ended up in Thailand (cheap airfares & accomm). So i think Vietnam is the winner this time, can save the 'floating RSL' Cruise for later. Would like to do a NYE cruise at sea, maybe next year.

Thanks all for your interesting feedback

Happy sailing, cheers

Brett