Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > New Cruisers > First Time Cruisers

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

First Time Cruisers You May Also Want to Read: Over 4,000 Published Cruise Reviews by First Time Cruisers

Best advice for first-time cruisers; learn how to pick a cabin, find the best cruise bargain, tips on what to pack.

Browse Cruise Critic's First Time Cruiser Resources (articles)

Old September 9th, 2012, 07:22 PM
Cool Cruiser

ive never been on a ship for a long period of time like this, but i love speed boats and etc. is a cruise different? like is there a chance i can get seasick or etc? if i do can i purchase meds onboard?

7 Day NCL Jewel from NYC(3/24/13)

Old September 9th, 2012, 08:27 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahway742 View Post
ive never been on a ship for a long period of time like this, but i love speed boats and etc. is a cruise different? like is there a chance i can get seasick or etc? if i do can i purchase meds onboard?
Well, there's always a chance. I don't have a history of motion sickness but I still was sick the first two nights. When the earthquake hit Haiti a friend of mine was on a cruise and there were lots of people sick. Or a storm could hit. In a nutshell I would say be prepared. Yes, you can buy Dramamine or Bonine on board but it is much cheaper to buy it a grocery store/pharmacy/Walmart beforehand.

I ran out of contact lens fluid while on a cruise and a small bottle cost $12 on board. So, I would recommend getting any of that kind of stuff before your cruise. While you can find deals in the shops toiletries are not something you can save on.

Last edited by Eris0303; September 9th, 2012 at 08:41 PM.

Old September 9th, 2012, 08:59 PM
Cool Cruiser

ah ok very true. will stock up before i go! 196 days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eris0303 View Post
Well, there's always a chance. I don't have a history of motion sickness but I still was sick the first two nights. When the earthquake hit Haiti a friend of mine was on a cruise and there were lots of people sick. Or a storm could hit. In a nutshell I would say be prepared. Yes, you can buy Dramamine or Bonine on board but it is much cheaper to buy it a grocery store/pharmacy/Walmart beforehand.

I ran out of contact lens fluid while on a cruise and a small bottle cost $12 on board. So, I would recommend getting any of that kind of stuff before your cruise. While you can find deals in the shops toiletries are not something you can save on.

7 Day NCL Jewel from NYC(3/24/13)

Old September 10th, 2012, 06:56 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm730 View Post
I've always used Bonine. You can get that at Walgreens, CVS, Walmart or Costco.
Unfortunately I live in Ireland and we don't have any of those stores here. I've looked locally and Bonine doesn't seem to be available here.

Short Mediterranean on Liberty of the Seas 14th May 2014
Eastern Mediterranean on Navigator of the Seas – 20th October 2013
Baltic Cruise on Adventure of the Seas – 25th June 2013
Canary Islands on Norwegian Spirit – 17th January 2013
Western Mediterranean on Liberty of the Seas – 22nd September 2012

Old September 10th, 2012, 08:50 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by teecee46 View Post
Unfortunately I live in Ireland and we don't have any of those stores here. I've looked locally and Bonine doesn't seem to be available here.
I'm assuming you're coming a day or two before embarkaration. If so I really recommend not stressing about not being able to find Bonine in Ireland. Wait until you get to the US and go to a grocery store/pharmacy/Walmart near your hotel. I'm sure there will be other people doing the same thing. Perhaps you could ask on your roll call here on CC to ask if anyone is planning on going and if you could tag along.

Last edited by Eris0303; September 10th, 2012 at 08:50 AM.

Old September 10th, 2012, 11:27 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
I'm assuming you're coming a day or two before embarkaration. If so I really recommend not stressing about not being able to find Bonine in Ireland. Wait until you get to the US and go to a grocery store/pharmacy/Walmart near your hotel. I'm sure there will be other people doing the same thing. Perhaps you could ask on your roll call here on CC to ask if anyone is planning on going and if you could tag along.
Or maybe someone on your roll call can pick it up for you and you can pay them when you get there.

Cruise Countdown Tickers

Cunard Countess 1980/S.Caribbean Canaveral Cruise Line 1998/Freeport Bahamas, Carnival Sensation 1999/W. Caribbean, Carnival Paradise 2001/E.Caribbean, RCCL Sov. of Seas 2002/Bahamas, RCCL Majesty of the Seas 2002/Caribbean, RCCL Sov. of the Seas 2002/Bahamas, CCL Imagination 2003/W.Caribbean, RCCL Sov. of the Seas 2004 again/Bahamas, Cunard QM2/Transatlantic, RCCL Sov. of theSeas2005/Bahamas, CCL Glory 2005/E.Caribbean, RCCL Sov. of the Seas-yes, again/Bahamas, RCCL Mariner of the Seas 2007/E. Caribbean, NCL Star 2008/Alaska, RCCL Sov. of the Seas-final time 2008/Bahamas, NCL Star 2009/Alaska, RCCL Monarch of the Seas 2010/Bahamas, Ruby Princess 2010 TA/Med, Grand Princess 2012 /TA-British Isles, RCI Monarch of the Seas 2012/Bahamas, Cunard QM2 2012/Transatlantic, Carnival Fascination 2013/Bahamas, RCI Freedom of the Seas 2013/E. Caribbean.

Old September 10th, 2012, 12:27 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzyed View Post
Or maybe someone on your roll call can pick it up for you and you can pay them when you get there.
Another good option. My roommate on my last cruise got to port a full day before me and picked me up some ginger ale

Old September 10th, 2012, 06:28 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Another good option. My roommate on my last cruise got to port a full day before me and picked me up some ginger ale
Green apples are supposed to help with sea sickness too. Look for them on the buffets and keep a few in your cabin.

When I was on the Celebrity Millenium, I found single packets of bonine at the infirmary. I managed to help myself to a handful and those will be coming with me onto the Liberty of the Seas in the Mediterranean in a couple weeks.

RCCL-Liberty of the Seas, October 2012 - W. Med.
CCL-Millenium, January 2011 - W. Carib.
MSC-Poesia, January 2010 - W. Carib.
MSC-Poesia, January 2009 - E. Carib
RCCL-Adventure of the Seas, January 2008 - S. Carib.
CCL-Imagination, June 1999 - W. Carib.
Sitmar Cruises-Fairsky, a long, long time ago. - E. Carib.

Old September 10th, 2012, 11:00 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.O.cruisers View Post
Green apples are supposed to help with sea sickness too. Look for them on the buffets and keep a few in your cabin.
Didn't do me a lick of good. In fact it was the apple that pushed me over the proverbial edge

Old September 12th, 2012, 08:29 AM
Cool Cruiser

WOW. I feel like I am in need of some serious detox. I have spent the last five days reading, copying and pasting the posts from this thread. Incredible wealth of infomation for DW and I. We are looking forward to our first cruise. Halloween aboard Carnival Destiny.

Old September 12th, 2012, 10:18 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by daflemfam View Post
WOW. I feel like I am in need of some serious detox. I have spent the last five days reading, copying and pasting the posts from this thread. Incredible wealth of infomation for DW and I. We are looking forward to our first cruise. Halloween aboard Carnival Destiny.

it is kind of overwhelming isnt it . but just remember too get on the ship, relax and let come-what-may. i know you will have a wonderful time.

norwegian pearl-glacier bay alaska 09/15/13- sister and friend--CANT WAIT
carnival spirit-tracy arm alaska 05/11-coworker
carnival spirit-tracy arm alaska 06/10-family cruise
carnival fantasy-western caribbean 9/09-solo
norwegian pearl-alaska glacier bay 05/09-solo
carnival victory-new england/canada 9/07-solo
carnival spirit-glacier bay 5/05-with a friend
carnival spirit-glacier bay 09/03

Old September 12th, 2012, 11:34 AM
Cool Cruiser

As virgin cruisers we would like to say a huge thank you to everyone on this thread for the extremely valuable information on here.

We have been visiting this thread for the last 18 months and can't believe that our sail date is almost upon us. We are so excited and feel well equipped with all the hints and tips posted on here. We would like to give a special mention of thanks to cornishpastyman1 and Happy Cruiser for your insights into cruising, we will be having an ice cream in Rome for Cornishpastyman1 and of course sampling the peanut butter ice cream with lashings of M&M's.

BIG BIG THANKS, Celebrity Eclipse here we come

Bernie & Valerie

Old September 12th, 2012, 11:42 AM
Cool Cruiser

That is correct. We had been asked when we reserved the cruise if we were celebrating anything and we told them that we were celebrating our anniversary. They said it would be done on the 1st formal night but it came and went with nothing happening (all we wanted was the piece of cake/singing...it was a surprise for DH) so in the end I talked to our waiter and he came through with flying colors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul929207 View Post
I think Luvcats! was referring to celebrating your birthday or anniversary, etc on a cruise.

If you want to arrange a private party, on Princess there is a section at their HQ that handles per planning for gatherings. They deal with the purser to arrange a room, etc. I would think other lines have a similar process.

Old September 12th, 2012, 02:28 PM
Cool Cruiser

1. How much fun Sea days are! Ports are great, but real relaxation where you don't have to be ANYWHERE by a certain time (except dinner) only come from sea days.
2. Pack half as much as you think you'll need
3. Sunscreen, sunscreen, sunscreen. Pack as much as you can because it is EXPENSIVE onboard.
4. Booking a cabin mid-ship and near (but not too near) to an elevator shaft is super convenient when you forgot your camera at dinner time and need to run back to the room.
5. Use your OBC and spending money wisely. The first day could wipe you out and then you'll feel guilty the rest of the trip....on the same note, try and bring alcohol in using stealth methods.

Old September 13th, 2012, 04:37 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethmonster View Post
1. How much fun Sea days are! Ports are great, but real relaxation where you don't have to be ANYWHERE by a certain time (except dinner) only come from sea days.
2. Pack half as much as you think you'll need
3. Sunscreen, sunscreen, sunscreen. Pack as much as you can because it is EXPENSIVE onboard.
4. Booking a cabin mid-ship and near (but not too near) to an elevator shaft is super convenient when you forgot your camera at dinner time and need to run back to the room.
5. Use your OBC and spending money wisely. The first day could wipe you out and then you'll feel guilty the rest of the trip....on the same note, try and bring alcohol in using stealth methods.
Hmmm wise advise but what 'stealth methods' do you recommned?
Our ports will be Dubai, Muscat and Cochin (India) so purchasing alcohol ashore to bring on board could be a problem.

Old September 13th, 2012, 03:24 PM
Cool Cruiser

The best piece of advice that I can offer is to read the boards often, but remember that most of what is on the page is an opinion and some people are just old, grouchy, and glass-half-empty people!

We did cruise ship sponsored excursions on 4 of our 6 port days....we created our own excursion one day and stayed on the ship one day. The day that my girlfriends let me take charge and plan a day where we got to decide what we were doing and the timing, etc, and not rely on a cruise ship sponsored excursion was the best day.

Your cruise is what you make of it!

St Maarten / St Martin - BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!

RC Allure of the Seas August 2014
Nassau, St Thomas, St Martin

Carnival Magic Nov 2012 Key West, Nassau, Freeport

Carnival Victory October 2010 St Thomas, St Maarten, St Lucia, Barbados, Dominica, St Kitts, San Juan

Old September 13th, 2012, 03:55 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmm33502 View Post
Your cruise is what you make of it!

So true! My first cruise was in April on NCL Jewel and I read these boards received some great advice and took the naysayers with a grain of salt.
We laughed all week no matter what we were doing, lots of relaxing and so much fun that we are sailing again in May on the NCL Dawn and looking forward to being in one place(Bermuda) for 2 1/2 days!
It is all what you make of it.

Old September 13th, 2012, 04:33 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Binder clip

Op: why the binder clip for the shower?

Old September 13th, 2012, 04:53 PM
40,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finkksta View Post
Op: why the binder clip for the shower?
I believe the clip is intended to discourage the shower curtain from getting too friendly. Shower stalls are usually quite small on cruise ships.

Old September 13th, 2012, 05:33 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stigliano View Post
Hmmm wise advise but what 'stealth methods' do you recommned?
Our ports will be Dubai, Muscat and Cochin (India) so purchasing alcohol ashore to bring on board could be a problem.
What I've done in the past is buy a bottle of alcohol and a hand bottle of soda, then pour most of the soda out and a lot of the alcohol in, then bring it onboard. It'll taste different and be diluted depending on what you mix it with. But does the trick

Also, I've read on here that during embarkation, a cruiser bought a 'to go' large container from dunkin' donuts and filled it with a new plastic container full of alcohol and no on questioned him through security as he walked it on through security. I've also heard camel baks in backpacks work well.

Much of these are simply 'hiding in plain site'