Weather Alert for Cruise this weekend in Alaska?

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 08:47 AM.
#1
CT
251 Posts
Joined Nov 2005
High Wind watch for anchorage and whittier areas... Saturday afternoon/night into sunday. Does that mean the boat will be rocking leaving whittier? I'm curious when departing at 8:30pm... how long it would take to get out of the area and away from the whittier area going southbound
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
~ RCCL Sovereign of the seas 11/2005
~ Carnival Elation 8/27/2006
~ Carnival Celebration 11/13/2006
~ Carnival Fascination 11/2007
~ Carnival Imagination 11/2008
~ Carnival Sensation 11/20/2011
~ Sapphire Princess Southbound 9/15/12 - Alaska
#2
Wasilla, AK
826 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
Possibly... We lost power for a couple days with the last one but they have said this one won't be so bad. The mountains make it worse so I would think the water wouldn't be as bad.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Stephanie
FUTURE CRUISES:
Celebrity Millennium 6/2/17 Alaska Southern 7 night no kids
NCL Jade 11/6/17 Southern Caribbean 10 night no kids
NCL Sun 11/28/17 Southern Caribbean 10 night with kids

PAST CRUISES:
Celebrity x4
Carnival x11
HAL x1
Louis Cruises x1
RCCL x1
#4
CT
251 Posts
Joined Nov 2005
Originally posted by BubMunkeyBles
Possibly... We lost power for a couple days with the last one but they have said this one won't be so bad. The mountains make it worse so I would think the water wouldn't be as bad.


I'm curious to see the path the ship goes... as it looks like this storm will emcompass the anchorage bowl and the turnagin arm... That will suck for a bumpy ride out to sea saturday but once leave that , its smooth sailing from there hopefully as would be ahead of the storm even if it goes in the same direction as the ship.


In my neck of the world, 80-100mph winds is a hurricane. I guess alaska weather is really different, as this is not a hurricane
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
~ RCCL Sovereign of the seas 11/2005
~ Carnival Elation 8/27/2006
~ Carnival Celebration 11/13/2006
~ Carnival Fascination 11/2007
~ Carnival Imagination 11/2008
~ Carnival Sensation 11/20/2011
~ Sapphire Princess Southbound 9/15/12 - Alaska
#5
Anchorage, AK
2,957 Posts
Joined Dec 2011
Originally posted by FunShipCruiser05


In my neck of the world, 80-100mph winds is a hurricane. I guess alaska weather is really different, as this is not a hurricane
They are hurricane force, no doubt about it. But, as was explained to us-this is not the first time we have had such storms-the storm winds are not cyclonic around a defined eye.

So the weatherpersons tell me.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
#6
CT
251 Posts
Joined Nov 2005
Originally posted by AKman2495
They are hurricane force, no doubt about it. But, as was explained to us-this is not the first time we have had such storms-the storm winds are not cyclonic around a defined eye.

So the weatherpersons tell me.

I know that, it would be just weird for me seeing those kind of winds and the storm not being a "hurricane"
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
~ RCCL Sovereign of the seas 11/2005
~ Carnival Elation 8/27/2006
~ Carnival Celebration 11/13/2006
~ Carnival Fascination 11/2007
~ Carnival Imagination 11/2008
~ Carnival Sensation 11/20/2011
~ Sapphire Princess Southbound 9/15/12 - Alaska
#7
Fairbanks, AK
4,859 Posts
Joined Dec 2009
It appears that the OP is on the September 15 sailing of the Sapphire Princess. I haven't checked the itinerary for that sailing, but if it is crossing the gulf it could be fairly rough. In the gulf the ships aren't very close to land so there is more of an open ocean experience for a day.
#8
more or less in TX
10,418 Posts
Joined Jul 2006
Be prepared for a rough time on the Gulf of Alaska. That's the risk this time of year, but this year seems wilder, earlier in the season.
#9
Anchorage, AK
16,561 Posts
Joined May 2004
The rain has started here in Anchorage this morning and it's coming down pretty good.

Winds starting tomorrow night into Sunday and for in town they are talking 40 to 50 mph now. Up on the hill they're talking up to 60 mid way and 90 upper.

Thing is this storm is going to cover a lot of Alaska like it did last week.

So, we'll be battening down the hatches once again this weekend!

Susan in Anchorage
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Susan + C&A Member


Symphony of the Seas - The First Transatlantic - 10-28-18 - Join us at http://symphonyta2018.weebly.com/
#10
Anchorage, AK
2,957 Posts
Joined Dec 2011
Well, I'll be in Vancouver waiting for the Coral Princess to take me to Panama and Fort Lauderdale.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
#11
Wasilla, AK
826 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
Originally posted by AkSusan
The rain has started here in Anchorage this morning and it's coming down pretty good.

Winds starting tomorrow night into Sunday and for in town they are talking 40 to 50 mph now. Up on the hill they're talking up to 60 mid way and 90 upper.

Thing is this storm is going to cover a lot of Alaska like it did last week.

So, we'll be battening down the hatches once again this weekend!

Susan in Anchorage
No rain here yet. Just nasty looking outside. Hopefully it's not as bad as last weeks.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Stephanie
FUTURE CRUISES:
Celebrity Millennium 6/2/17 Alaska Southern 7 night no kids
NCL Jade 11/6/17 Southern Caribbean 10 night no kids
NCL Sun 11/28/17 Southern Caribbean 10 night with kids

PAST CRUISES:
Celebrity x4
Carnival x11
HAL x1
Louis Cruises x1
RCCL x1
#12
Anchorage, AK
16,561 Posts
Joined May 2004
Originally posted by AKman2495
Well, I'll be in Vancouver waiting for the Coral Princess to take me to Panama and Fort Lauderdale.
Hopefully, you battened down the hatches good before you left

Susan in Anchorage
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Susan + C&A Member


Symphony of the Seas - The First Transatlantic - 10-28-18 - Join us at http://symphonyta2018.weebly.com/
#13
Anchorage, AK
16,561 Posts
Joined May 2004
Originally posted by BubMunkeyBles
No rain here yet. Just nasty looking outside. Hopefully it's not as bad as last weeks.
Okay, where are you in town? Because I'm sitting here watching it rain out my window (it's actually dripping off the roof) in the Lake Otis & Tudor area and it was raining at my house at the 76th and Arctic area, when I left this morning.

Susan in Anchorage
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Susan + C&A Member


Symphony of the Seas - The First Transatlantic - 10-28-18 - Join us at http://symphonyta2018.weebly.com/
#14
Florida
591 Posts
Joined Jun 2005
Originally posted by AkSusan
Okay, where are you in town? Because I'm sitting here watching it rain out my window (it's actually dripping off the roof) in the Lake Otis & Tudor area and it was raining at my house at the 76th and Arctic area, when I left this morning.

Susan in Anchorage
I don't know how it is in Anchorage, but I live in Clermont, FL, approximately 30 miles from Walt Disney World. It will be storming at WDW, while we don't see a drop of rain - and this is not unusual. We live in North Clermont. South Clermont is 17 miles away and will also experience stormy weather while we don't.

So, when we get bad weather, you can imagine what the surrounding areas are getting.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature


FUTURE B2B CRUISE: Freedom OTS 11-5 & 11-11-2017
Serenade OTS - 4-7-2017
Serenade OTS - 3-27-2017
Rhapsody OTS - 12-10-2016
Independence OTS - 6-21-2015
Brilliance OTS - 4-25-2015
Freedom OTS - 4-27-2014
MS Eurodam - 11-3-2012
Monarch OTS - Apr 2012
Vision OTS - May 2008
MS Oosterdam - Sep 2005
Carnival Jubilee - Jun 1997
Sovereign OTS - Jun 1995
The Big Red Boat - Jun 1990
#15
Anchorage, AK
16,561 Posts
Joined May 2004
Originally posted by iuki
I don't know how it is in Anchorage, but I live in Clermont, FL, approximately 30 miles from Walt Disney World. It will be storming at WDW, while we don't see a drop of rain - and this is not unusual. We live in North Clermont. South Clermont is 17 miles away and will also experience stormy weather while we don't.

So, when we get bad weather, you can imagine what the surrounding areas are getting.
Here we're surrounded by 3 sides mountains and one side water, and with the way the weather is sitting right now, it's raining from the mountain tops down. Now, if they live in Eagle River or Girdwood, which are on the other side of the mountains, it may be quiet!

Susan in Anchorage
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Susan + C&A Member


Symphony of the Seas - The First Transatlantic - 10-28-18 - Join us at http://symphonyta2018.weebly.com/
#16
Anchorage, AK
2,957 Posts
Joined Dec 2011
I'm in Independence park and it has been raining off and on all day. Right now-not so much 1 hour ago more.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
#18
Fairbanks, AK
4,859 Posts
Joined Dec 2009
Those in Anchorage have my sympathy. However, in Fairbanks the day has been beautiful. Very cool this morning, but then a glorious sunny fall day. However from our house on Chena Ridge you can see a dark band of clouds over the Alaska Range. Our weather forecast doesn't call for rain but given those clouds you can't help but wonder ................
#19
Anchorage, AK
16,561 Posts
Joined May 2004
Originally posted by AKman2495
Typical weather in Alaska-the sun is now shining!
I just drove home in the sunshine and it was raining too!

Susan in Anchorage
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Susan + C&A Member


Symphony of the Seas - The First Transatlantic - 10-28-18 - Join us at http://symphonyta2018.weebly.com/
#20
Anchorage, AK
16,561 Posts
Joined May 2004
Well, they're a little off of when the winds are suppose to start, as, they have started now at about 2 p.m. Unfortunately, they revised the numbers and we are looking at 50 top 60 mph here in town and up to 75 to 80 mid hillside and then up to possibility of 110 upper hillside.

Been out taking down windchimes, reinforcing the fence, and the barbecue will be residing in the living room tonight, as the dang wind likes to push it off the deck and I mean clear across and town two steps

Susan in Anchorage
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Susan + C&A Member


Symphony of the Seas - The First Transatlantic - 10-28-18 - Join us at http://symphonyta2018.weebly.com/