Worker fell overboard from Serenade OTS in Italy

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

CT
326 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
Yikes!
http://www.gazzettadelsud.it/news/en...ip-worker.html
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
"It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end." - Ernest Hemingway

Jewel of the Seas, 2/16
Viking Magni - Rhine 12/14
Royal Princess, 2/14
Brilliance of the Seas, 4/13
Serenade of the Seas, 9/12
Carnival Legend, 2/12
Caribbean Princess, 3/11
Rhapsody of the Seas, 2/04
Celebrity Zenith, 6/98
Chandris Galileo, 5/86
Connecticut
4,985 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
That is so tragic - thoughts and prayers for the family
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Completed 13 cruises so far...
Royal Caribbean: Serenade, Mariner, Brilliance, Adventure, Oasis, Majesty, Quantum
Princess: Grand
Carnival: Paradise, Victory (2), Spirit, Pride
788 Posts
Joined May 2000
Whenever I see crew members anywhere near the water, they are always wearing life jackets. Assuming he fell while performing a work duty, what might he have been doing that did not require him to wear a life jacket?
43,254 Posts
Joined Jan 2001
Not saying if he fell or jumped,but a fellow crewmate on the SR just posted something on FB,that indicated he didnt just fall......might be intentional..

So sad and prayers for his family.
Surprise, AZ.
12,351 Posts
Joined Jul 2004
Hope they find him, prayers to his family.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Diamond Plus- Linda & Mike

Spending Our Children's Inheritance
One Cruise a a Time!

325 days at sea with RC and counting!
32 cruises on RC!
Always excited for the next one!

~~~Our memories~~~
Sovereign~ Majesty~ Monarch~
Vision x2 ~ Rhapsody x 2 ~ Grandeur~
Radiance x 8 ~ Serenade x 2~ Brilliance~Jewel x 2
Mariner x 2 ~ Navigator
Alaska Cruise tour- Fairbanks- Radiance south bound
Jewel California Coastal
Serenade 10 nt So Caribbean
Serenade 11 nt So Caribbean
Liberty
Allure

We strayed to X and Princess
Celebrity Eclipse
Crown Princess
Star Princess
Celebrity Equinox
Celebrity solstice
~~~~~~~~
~~~Future cruises~~~

January 2018 - 14 day Caribbean cruise on the Caribbean Princess.
Serenade Boston repo Oct 2018
PA
10 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
My parents are on that ship and they were told that the crew member jumped off deck 11. My father said the captain sounded the alarm at 4 a.m. and spent 8 hours looking for him but sadly with no luck.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Freedom of the Seas ~ 2012
Enchantment of the Seas ~ 2010
Monarch of the Seas ~ 2010
Grandeur of the Seas ~ 2009
Rhapsody of the Seas ~ 2007
Empress of the Seas ~ 2006
Sovereign of the Seas ~ 1995
Monarch of the Seas ~ 1992
Sun Viking ~ 1989
Nordic Prince ~ 1988
7,429 Posts
Joined Mar 2007
Wow. So sad for all involved. 2 in a week is not good. Prayers to family and friend of the victim
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Rancher Dave

<div style="width:400px; position: relative;">
<div style="background-color: #38235b; padding: 5px 0px 5px 0px; text-align: center; width: 399px; border-left: 1px solid #372060; font-size: 11px; color: #EEE; line-height: 1.4em;">
<a style="font-size: 14px; color: #FFBF42" href="http://www.travbuddy.com/travel-widgets"><strong>Create your own travel map</strong></a> - <a style="font-size: 14px; color: #FFBF42" href="http://www.travbuddy.com"><strong>TravBuddy</strong></a><br/>
</div>
</div>

RCCL Diamond Plus / Celebrity Elite / Princess Elite / NCL / Disney
Orr's Island, ME
282 Posts
Joined Aug 2001
Originally posted by celebrity
Oh no! That's 2 this week. So tragic!
Even IF they survive the fall/or/jump, I can't even imagine going overboard.

I feel so sad for his family.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
eastern Ohio
3,548 Posts
Joined Aug 2003
I sure hope the news article contains a misprint...it says the water temperature was "a bearable 20 degrees"!!!!!!

So sorry when things like this happen...for the soul who felt the need to end their life, for their families and friends, and even for the cruisers on that particular voyage...what a sad memory to bring home from an otherwise happy cruise experience.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
PLUS
Cindy

Explorer of the Seas - 10/03 * Explorer of the Seas - 10/04 * Mariner of the Seas - 10/05 * Sovereign of the Seas - 10/06 * Jewel of the Seas - 11/07 * Enchantment of the Seas (Mom's Birthday Cruise)- 9/08 * Navigator of the Seas - 2/09 * Navigator of the Seas - 3/09 * Monarch of the Seas - 8/09 * Freedom of the Seas - 10/09 * Voyager of the Seas - 2/10 * Monarch of the Seas - 6/10 * Radiance of the Seas - 10/10 * Navigator of the Seas - 11/10 * Navigator of the Seas - 4/11 * Freedom of the Seas 10/11 * Navigator of the Seas (1st Solo Cruise) 12/11 * Jewel of the Seas 4/12 * Freedom of the Seas 9/12 * Freedom of the Seas 9/13 * Carnival Dream 10/13 * Freedom of the Seas 10/14 * Liberty of the Seas 12/14 * Freedom of the Seas 9/15 * Norwegian Spirit of the Seas 12/15 * Freedom of the Seas 10/16 * Coral Princess 3/17

"I don't want to live forever - I just want to live well while I'm alive." Bon Jovi
PA
93 Posts
Joined Dec 2010
Probably meant 20 degrees celcius, works out to 68 degrees fahrenheit. I hope they offered grief counseling for the staff.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
When in the very West dawn's fire has died away
And night-dew twinkles fresh and silvery in the moonlight
Then you can see them dancing under the firmament
Until the sword of sunrise lets their fragile beauty die

09-15-2013 Freedom of the Seas
NJ
150 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
Originally posted by copnlpn2
I sure hope the news article contains a misprint...it says the water temperature was "a bearable 20 degrees"!!!!!!

So sorry when things like this happen...for the soul who felt the need to end their life, for their families and friends, and even for the cruisers on that particular voyage...what a sad memory to bring home from an otherwise happy cruise experience.
20 degrees Celsius is 68 degrees Fahrenheit.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Independence of the Seas~Labadee,Haiti; Falmouth,Jamaica; George Town,Grand Cayman; Cozumel,Mexico~7-12-15
Norwegian Star~Copenhagen, Denmark; Berlin, Germany; Tallinn, Estonia; St. Petersburg, Russia; Helsinki, Finland; Stockholm, Sweden~7-3-14
Jewel of the Seas~Puerto Rico, St. Maarten, St. Kitts, Antigua, St. Lucia, Barbados~7-6-13
Explorer of the Seas~Bermuda, St. Maarten, Puerto Rico, Haiti~7-5-12
Enchantment of the Seas~Haiti, Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, St. Thomas~8-25-11
Caribbean Princess~Bermuda, St. Thomas, Puerto Rico, Grand Turk~7-1-11
Norwegian Epic~Roatan, Honduras; Costa Maya & Cozumel, Mexico~8-7-10
Norwegian Majesty~Bermuda~7-19-08
Carnival Destiny~Puerto Rico, St. Thomas, Dominica, Barbados, Aruba~2-29-04
Carnival Carnivale~Nassau, Bahamas~9-19-93
south central pennsylvania
1,601 Posts
Joined Jun 2007
Starting to become a trend. 2 in a week and one on Carnival a few weeks back.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
April 2016 Adventure of the Seas 7 nights Southern Caribbean from San Juan
December 2014 Oasis of the Seas 7 nights Eastern Caribbean from Fort Lauderdale
October 2009 Freedom of the Seas 7 nights Western Caribbean from Port Canaveral
November 2007 Jewel of the Seas 6 nights Western Caribbean from Fort Lauderdale
February 2006 Adventure of the seas 7 nights Southern from San Juan
April 2003 Voyager of the Seas 7 nights Western from Miami
May 2000 Monarch of the Seas 7 nights Southern from San Juan

UK
322 Posts
Joined Aug 2012
Royal Caribbean crew member fell overboard on Serenade of the Seas, 40 miles off the Italian coast. The crew member fell overboard around 4:30 a.m. on Thursday while the ship was in Croatian territorial waters. Serenade of the Seas captain launched search and rescue operation and call coast guard authorities for help.

Read more : http://crew-center.com/royal-caribbe...fell-overboard

Sympathies go to the crewmember's family & friends at this difficult time....
881 Posts
Joined Jun 2008
Oh, that is just so so sad. if intentional u wonder how someone get's to that point and feels that this is their only avenue and they can't talk it through..

My thoughts are with the family, relatives and friends who must be so devastated. RIP..