Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Discussion Topics > Ask a Cruise Question
 
Register here!
Forgot Your Password?


Notices

Ask a Cruise Question Post your general cruise questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old September 26th, 2012, 02:41 AM
Dj2008 Dj2008 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Nashville
Posts: 17
Default Alcohol/Bottle question....

I'm cruising NCL in a little over a month on Pride of America for the Hawaiian cruise, so this question is directed specifically to the ship.

Can I buy bottles of alcohol (most likely rum) on POA?? Or am I going to have to sneak on alcohol?

Before you judge me or jump to conclusions; yes, I'm being cheap. I literally just booked this cruise to save one of my girlfriends from having to cancel her entire vacation because the previous passenger can no longer make it. So, I unexpectedly, (yet happily), just dropped $1850 on a cruise and plane ticket out of nowhere - and that's not including any extras. Plus I have to take off 2 weeks of work, so I think I'm entitled to be a little cheap. Just saying.

I will happily buy a bottle of alcohol on board to avoid the sneaking it on if I can; if it's reasonably priced. Like less than $50 a bottle.

Yes, I like to drink. I'll be celebrating my 26th birthday on board and I plan on having several drinks at my own leisure and not at the cost of an arm and a leg.

I'm looking for honest, not negative, comments about the subject. This is my first time to Hawaii and also my first time cruising. I need to be prepared for a good time

Thanks!!

ALSO - I do plan on purchasing the beverage card and buying cocktails at the bar, I'm just trying to save a little money where I can. I'm a college student, ya know.
__________________





Last edited by Dj2008; September 26th, 2012 at 02:45 AM. Reason: adding something
Reply With Quote

  #2  
Old September 26th, 2012, 06:38 AM
Keith1010 Keith1010 is offline
50,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 64,472
Default

You can purchase wine but there is a corkage fee.

You cannot bring spirits onto the ship.

Keith
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old September 26th, 2012, 07:27 AM
Krazy Kruizers's Avatar
Krazy Kruizers Krazy Kruizers is offline
50,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 87,960
Default

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

What age are you? I noticed that you mentioned you are a college student.
__________________
Cruising is a wonderful way to enjoy retirement!
Far, far too many cruises to list.
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old September 26th, 2012, 08:02 AM
happy cruzer's Avatar
happy cruzer happy cruzer is offline
Blue Ribbon Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 4,503
Default

try the NCL board for details.

But generally NCL is one of the stricter lines for finding the booze. A search on that board will find you lots of info including the prices of the onboard set ups and what others have experienced.

You might research the tips too so that they are in your budget.

Cheers.
__________________
Happy Cruzin!

Pac Coastal Celebrity Century, May 2014. Western Carib Crown Princess, Mar 2013; Mediterranean, Celebrity Solstice, May 2012; W. Caribbean, Carnival Conquest, Sep 2011; Transatlantic Regatta Oceania, Nov 2010; 7N E. Car., Carnival Fantasy, May 2010; W. Caribbean, Carnival Conquest, Feb 2010; Gulf of Mexico, Carnival Ecstacy, Dec 2008; Transatlantic Regatta Oceania, Mar 2008; Canada/New England Crown Princess, Sep 2007; Midway/Hawaii Regal Princess, May 2007: W. Caribbean, Grand Princess, Feb, 2007 ;So. Car.,Volendam HAL, Nov, 2006; Caribbean,Zuiderdam, HAL, 2005; W Caribbean Galaxy, CCL, 2005;Transatlantic Jewel RCI,2004; W Caribbean Sovereign RCI, 2003; Hawaii Infinity, CCL, 2002; Transatlantic Rotterdam, HAL, 2000; Caribbean Galaxy CCL, 2000; Mexico Harmony, Crystal, 1999; Caribbean Zenith, CCL, 1999; South America Royal, Princess, 1998/9; W Caribbean Noordam, HAL,199?; Caribbean Horizon, CCL, 199?; Caribbean Enchanted Seas, Commodore, 198?; Alaska Regal, Princess, 198?.

Last edited by happy cruzer; September 26th, 2012 at 08:02 AM.
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old September 26th, 2012, 08:03 AM
paul929207's Avatar
paul929207 paul929207 is online now
40,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Greenville, SC, USA
Posts: 44,543
Default

DJ,
Welcome to Cruise Critic.

As each cruise line has their own rules and prices, you would do better posting this on the NLC section.
__________________
Paul
Reply With Quote

Ad Sponsored By
  #6  
Old September 26th, 2012, 09:53 AM
LadyShiva LadyShiva is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,598
Default

NCL starts the hard alcohol bottle prices at $80 per bottle (for what costs me $20 at the local Sam's Club). Look in the Bon Voyage section of your online paperwork and you can see the price list.

Be aware that trying to sneak on spirits usually doesn't work too well on NCL. You could instead grab some wine to bring onto the ship for a nominal corkage fee ($15-30) and come in under your budget. You can't bring boxed wine, though--just the stuff in a bottle is allowed.

Hope that helps, and I hope you enjoy your cruise!
__________________
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old September 26th, 2012, 12:24 PM
Dj2008 Dj2008 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Nashville
Posts: 17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy Kruizers View Post
Welcome to Cruise Critic.

What age are you? I noticed that you mentioned you are a college student.
I'll be turning 26 on the cruise. I'm a graduate student.
__________________




Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old September 26th, 2012, 01:43 PM
paul929207's Avatar
paul929207 paul929207 is online now
40,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Greenville, SC, USA
Posts: 44,543
Default

DJ,
NCL is pretty strict with its checking for alcohol being smuggled onboard. They allow wine, but charge a corkage fee at the gangway for every bottle. I think it is $15 per bottle. Any other alcohol in either your carryon or checked luggage will be confiscated if found. If it is in the original sealed container, it will be returned the last night. If it is in any other container, it will be discarded.
__________________
Paul
Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old September 27th, 2012, 06:32 AM
beachchick beachchick is offline
10,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 12,049
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShiva View Post
NCL starts the hard alcohol bottle prices at $80 per bottle (for what costs me $20 at the local Sam's Club). Look in the Bon Voyage section of your online paperwork and you can see the price list.

Be aware that trying to sneak on spirits usually doesn't work too well on NCL. You could instead grab some wine to bring onto the ship for a nominal corkage fee ($15-30) and come in under your budget. You can't bring boxed wine, though--just the stuff in a bottle is allowed.

Hope that helps, and I hope you enjoy your cruise!
The bar setup with full bottles of alcohol that is offered on all other NCL ships is not available on PoA due to state restrictions and agreements between Hawaii and NCLA.

Bottles of wine are allowed both for purchase and to be brought onboard with the consumption fee.

beachchick
Reply With Quote

  #10  
Old September 27th, 2012, 06:43 AM
Bonnie J. Bonnie J. is offline
Blue Ribbon Cruiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: North Carolina Coast!, USA
Posts: 4,463
Default

When you order a drink on board, ask for the 'house brand" . On Carnival the house brand for gin is Beefeaters. If you don't say house brand they will give you a more expensive brand.
__________________
CRUISE LINES
Dolphin
Commodore
Regency
Premier
Cape Canaveral Cruises
Carnival
Royal Caribean
NCL
Celebrity
Princess
Costa
Reply With Quote

  #11  
Old September 27th, 2012, 01:01 PM
navybankerteacher navybankerteacher is online now
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 6,369
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj2008 View Post
I'm cruising NCL in a little over a month on Pride of America for the Hawaiian cruise, so this question is directed specifically to the ship.

Can I buy bottles of alcohol (most likely rum) on POA?? Or am I going to have to sneak on alcohol?

Before you judge me or jump to conclusions; yes, I'm being cheap. I literally just booked this cruise to save one of my girlfriends from having to cancel her entire vacation because the previous passenger can no longer make it. So, I unexpectedly, (yet happily), just dropped $1850 on a cruise and plane ticket out of nowhere - and that's not including any extras. Plus I have to take off 2 weeks of work, so I think I'm entitled to be a little cheap. Just saying.

I will happily buy a bottle of alcohol on board to avoid the sneaking it on if I can; if it's reasonably priced. Like less than $50 a bottle.

Yes, I like to drink. I'll be celebrating my 26th birthday on board and I plan on having several drinks at my own leisure and not at the cost of an arm and a leg.

I'm looking for honest, not negative, comments about the subject. This is my first time to Hawaii and also my first time cruising. I need to be prepared for a good time

Thanks!!

ALSO - I do plan on purchasing the beverage card and buying cocktails at the bar, I'm just trying to save a little money where I can. I'm a college student, ya know.
Interesting that you are willing to "...buy a bottle on board... if its reasonably priced...".

So it's OK to cheat if the profit motive is great enough?
__________________
Six US Navy ships, (1960-1970)
20+ cruises: Furness Bermuda (1), Orient (1), Holland America (9), Norwegian (5), Carnival (1), Princess (1), Celebrity (3), Cunard (1), Royal Caribbean (1) - (1953-2013)
Reply With Quote

  #12  
Old September 27th, 2012, 09:42 PM
cruiseguy4567 cruiseguy4567 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 56
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by navybankerteacher View Post
Interesting that you are willing to "...buy a bottle on board... if its reasonably priced...".

So it's OK to cheat if the profit motive is great enough?
Not everyone who cruises is full of money.

I'm cruising Royal next February with my family and the total cost with cruise, travel, excursions will be over $5,000. That's a lot of money for my family.

5 drinks per day for the wife and I would be about $60 at $6/each, excluding tip or DOD. On a 10 day cruise that would total $600 or more.

Sorry, I have no problem with someone being cheap. It isn't necessarily they are drinking too much, just enjoying themselves.
__________________
__________________________________________

Carnival Imagination - November 11, 1995
Carnival Fantasy - November 2005

Enchantment OTS February 2013
Reply With Quote

  #13  
Old September 28th, 2012, 02:18 PM
Dj2008 Dj2008 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Nashville
Posts: 17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiseguy4567 View Post
Not everyone who cruises is full of money.

I'm cruising Royal next February with my family and the total cost with cruise, travel, excursions will be over $5,000. That's a lot of money for my family.

5 drinks per day for the wife and I would be about $60 at $6/each, excluding tip or DOD. On a 10 day cruise that would total $600 or more.

Sorry, I have no problem with someone being cheap. It isn't necessarily they are drinking too much, just enjoying themselves.
Thank you!! I'm glad you understand It would be a little different if I had time to plan and save for the cruise, but I had about 45 days notice of going. And you're right, vacations and money are different for everyone. I want to have a few drinks on my vacation, someone else may want to do something different. I'm cheap. I'll be the first to admit that. BUT, people assume because I'm cheap that I'm going to screw everyone over, which isn't the case. I'm a very generous tipper, always have and always will. I'm just trying to save myself a few hundred dollars.
__________________




Reply With Quote

Reply

Bookmarks


Ad Sponsored By
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:18 PM.


© 1995 - 2014, The Independent Traveler, Inc. All rights reserved.
"A Community of People Who Love To Cruise"
All of the information contained within Cruise Critic is protected by copyright. You may, however, download a single copy only for your personal use.