Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Carnival Cruise Lines

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Carnival Cruise Lines
- Read thousands of Carnival Cruise Reviews
- Compare the best Carnival Cruise Deals
- Write a Carnival Review
- Find Your CARNIVAL Roll Call
See posts about:
Carnival Breeze
Carnival Elation
Carnival Glory
Carnival Liberty
Carnival Paradise
Carnival Splendor

Carnival Conquest
Carnival Fantasy
Carnival Imagination
Carnival Magic
Carnival Pride
Carnival Sunshine

Carnival Dream
Carnival Fascination
Carnival Inspiration
Carnival Sensation
Carnival Triumph
Carnival Valor

Carnival Ecstasy
Carnival Freedom
Carnival Legend
Carnival Miracle
Carnival Spirit
Carnival Victory

Old September 30th, 2012, 09:23 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Bed bugs..

If carnival gets notified that there are bed bugs in a room. What actions do they take? How likely are they to be on other parts of the ship?

Old September 30th, 2012, 09:42 AM
Cool Cruiser

Has anyone every had bed bugs on their cruise?

Old September 30th, 2012, 09:48 AM
Cool Cruiser

Haven't had them, but have read posts about people alleging to have them. More often on other lines, but haven't read any recently.

Old September 30th, 2012, 10:05 AM
Cool Cruiser

I don't know what they ACTUALLY do, but I read somewhere the mattress/bedding is switched out and they inspect the cabin.

Its best to keep your clothes off the beds/sofas/floors, just like a hotel.
Carnival Valor 12/1/13 -Southern Caribbean
Photo Review
Carnival Victory 3/31/14 -Eastern Caribbean Photo Review

Last edited by seannyice81; September 30th, 2012 at 10:07 AM.

Old September 30th, 2012, 10:07 AM
5,000+ Club

Just leave your bed bugs at home!

Sounds of the wind or sounds of the sea make me happy just to be. ~June Polis

Dude, don't you understand the first rule of holes? When you find yourself in a hole stop digging. Take it from a fellow Gopher.
~Planer's Edge

A passport, as I'm sure you know, is a document that one shows to government officials whenever one reaches a border between countries, so the officials can learn who you are, where you were born, and how you look when photographed unflatteringly.
~Lemony Snicket

Cruised:
M.V. Hobart Star 1974 (Blue Star Line)
T.S.S. Festivale 1993 (Carnival Cruise Line)
S.S. Norway 2003 (Norwegian Cruise Line)
Queen Mary2 2006 (Cunard Line)
Carnival Imagination 2009 (Carnival Cruise Line)
M.V. Norwegian Sun 2010 (Norwegian Cruise Line)
Carnival Destiny 2011 (Carnival Cruise Line)
Norwegian EPIC 2013 (Norwegian Cruise Line)
Carnival Breeze 2014 (Carnival Cruise Line)

Ad Sponsored By
Old September 30th, 2012, 10:16 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

I've never seen a bed bug but I wonder if what some people think are bed bug bites are really no seeum bites. It's pretty common in the Caribbean and will usually show up the next day.

Old September 30th, 2012, 11:56 AM
Cool Cruiser

This is the policy

http://www.carnival.com/Funville/blo...r-bedbugs.aspx

DETECTION AND TREATMENT OF BEDBUGS

Bedbugs are small parasitic insects that are typically brought aboard cruise ships in guests’ luggage. Carnival Cruise Lines has extensive procedures and protocols for the detection and treatment of bedbugs. All stateroom stewards are trained to recognize the possible presence of bedbugs and are required to conduct weekly inspections of every cabin. Inspections cover not only stateroom beds but also curtains, carpeting and other areas.

If signs of infestation are present, the room is chemically treated along with all other cabins within that section. Frequent re-inspection continues for the next several months. When ships are taken out of service for their routine maintenance period, all staterooms receive an extensive pest control treatment at that time, as well.

This is a post from someone that found one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzy View Post
I'm bumping this thread because we were on the 5/14 Miracle sailing and found a bedbug in the cabin. We had bites - everyday a little worse, but didn't know what they were until we found the bedbug. We found it on the coverlet after the steward made the beds one morning. I captured it in a bathroom glass and took it to guest services.

I have to say they really made me mad at first 1) the steward tried to accidentally shake the bug to the carpet when I showed him 2) at first they would only admit that it was an insect and 3) they were off loading mattresses by the dozens from floor 5 and 6 so I feel they knew something was amiss.

I never asked for a thing but I had been very upset and demanded they at least own up to the fact that it was a bedbug so no one else would be affected. They brought a ship's exterminator to the cabin who did then confirm it was a bedbug.

We went to port and let them do an investigation. The mattresses were all new when we returned to the room.

One of the officers talked to us upon returning to the ship. She said they hadn't found anymore bugs but were very sorry for the experience. They would move us to a different cabin, launder all of our clothes and treat our luggage. We could see the ships dr. at no charge for the bites if we wished and they would refund 100% of the cruise fare.

I believe there was probably an outbreak on both floors because of the number of mattresses they were swapping out and the lack of shock from any of the employees.

It was very unnerving to say the least and I'm very thankful they had another cabin to move us to or I think I would have slept on deck. I'm still scared and hope I didn't bring them home. We took all of our clothes to a laundromat when we got home and ran them for 30 min on high heat on the advice from an exterminator. He is coming to treat our luggage next week which is still in the garage. Fingers crossed.

Old September 30th, 2012, 12:49 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksavitz1 View Post
Has anyone every had bed bugs on their cruise?
Having had a bed bug problem years ago by (unknowingly) living beneath a hoarder, I look for them on EVERY cruise and in EVERY hotel I stay in and I've never found one.

Old September 30th, 2012, 04:02 PM
Cool Cruiser

My father had them on the Maasdam about 5 years ago. They moved him and did a great job fumigating and cleaning his luggage and clothing. It is becoming a horrible problem and ships are not immune. If Carnival has a written policy then they have had a problem. It just may not have been publicized.

Old October 1st, 2012, 03:17 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksavitz1 View Post
If carnival gets notified that there are bed bugs in a room. What actions do they take?
heck, they just flip the mattress

Old October 1st, 2012, 03:29 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogymrat View Post
This is the policy

http://www.carnival.com/Funville/blo...r-bedbugs.aspx

DETECTION AND TREATMENT OF BEDBUGS

Bedbugs are small parasitic insects that are typically brought aboard cruise ships in guests’ luggage. Carnival Cruise Lines has extensive procedures and protocols for the detection and treatment of bedbugs. All stateroom stewards are trained to recognize the possible presence of bedbugs and are required to conduct weekly inspections of every cabin. Inspections cover not only stateroom beds but also curtains, carpeting and other areas.

If signs of infestation are present, the room is chemically treated along with all other cabins within that section. Frequent re-inspection continues for the next several months. When ships are taken out of service for their routine maintenance period, all staterooms receive an extensive pest control treatment at that time, as well.

This is a post from someone that found one.

Carnival often off loads and DONATES their used mattresses to different countries in the Caribbean. I have been on several ships when they were doing this.......and I expect that is what you observed with the off loading of the mattresses......

Upcoming cruises booked

CCL Victory - 11-6-14
Celebrity Summit - 1-24-15
CCL Pride - 14 night repo 3-15-15
RCCL Independence of Seas - Sept. 27, 2015

Last edited by barbatkins; October 1st, 2012 at 03:29 PM.

Old October 1st, 2012, 03:43 PM
Cool Cruiser

Just thinking about bed bugs makes me itch all over. Have never seen or heard anything about them on any of my cruises and I hope it stays that way.
Lu
Legend 9/12
Fascination 9/10
Fascination 1/09
NCL Majesty 11/2006
Celebration 2005
RCCL Sovereign of the Seas 2004
Sensation 2003
Paradise 2002
Fascination 2001
Fantasy 1998

Old October 1st, 2012, 09:26 PM
Cool Cruiser

As an arthropod enthusiast, I've found that most people misidentify the pests that annoy them. And they worry needlessly about the creatures that are generally harmless.

Some bug bites, as well as plant toxins and even jelly fish or other seabourne toxins, don't become apparent until later. If you return from an outing on the beach, or mounds, or jungle and you feel strangely itchy, the least likely answer is bedbugs. Midges (sand fleas, sand flies, or no-see-ums) are notorious for leaving lots of tiny bites. Biting flies are also extremely common in tropical and subtropical areas, not to mention nearly every other spot on earth. Fleas from local dogs are yet another issue, as are ticks. And then there are the pesky little ants...

All of these creatures may be carried back from port, and if they've staked territory in your sock or pants, you'll keep getting bitten until they're gone.

Unfortunately for much maligned spiders and various bees and wasps, while some of them may bite and/or sting (different organs involved in these attacks), they are rarely the cause of the red bumps that we discover here or there on our bodies. Sometimes, it's simply a small infection, perhaps a tiny sliver of wood or metal, or plain old acne.

Given the odds against bed bugs being the cause of bites on a tropical vacation, I have some compassion for ship workers who have to deal with a shrieking guest who wants something done about the bites they've probably picked up on an excursion.
Carnival Liberty 12-17-2011
Carnival Dream 11-13-2010
Carnival Valor 12-13-2009
Carnival Mardi Gras 12-25-1977

Old October 1st, 2012, 09:31 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by larkz View Post
As an arthropod enthusiast, I've found that most people misidentify the pests that annoy them. And they worry needlessly about the creatures that are generally harmless.

Some bug bites, as well as plant toxins and even jelly fish or other seabourne toxins, don't become apparent until later. If you return from an outing on the beach, or mounds, or jungle and you feel strangely itchy, the least likely answer is bedbugs. Midges (sand fleas, sand flies, or no-see-ums) are notorious for leaving lots of tiny bites. Biting flies are also extremely common in tropical and subtropical areas, not to mention nearly every other spot on earth. Fleas from local dogs are yet another issue, as are ticks. And then there are the pesky little ants...

All of these creatures may be carried back from port, and if they've staked territory in your sock or pants, you'll keep getting bitten until they're gone.

Unfortunately for much maligned spiders and various bees and wasps, while some of them may bite and/or sting (different organs involved in these attacks), they are rarely the cause of the red bumps that we discover here or there on our bodies. Sometimes, it's simply a small infection, perhaps a tiny sliver of wood or metal, or plain old acne.

Given the odds against bed bugs being the cause of bites on a tropical vacation, I have some compassion for ship workers who have to deal with a shrieking guest who wants something done about the bites they've probably picked up on an excursion.
A while back, some dude named Timmer alleged that he had bed bugs and Carnival wouldn't do anything about it... Even posted a pic of a bedbug in a glass... I reposted it a couple times as a joke in subsequent threads... Who knows if we should believe him... His review was less than complete. If you search my post history, you will find the pic out there somewhere.

SS Norway - 2002
Grand Princess - 2003
Grand Princess - 2006
Voyager of the Seas - 2009
Circle Line Cruises - 1984
Staten Island Ferry - 1997 - 2003
Martha's Vineyard Ferry - 1990 - 2000
Carnival Magic - March 2012

Old October 1st, 2012, 09:33 PM
5,000+ Club

Dont the bed bugs attach themselves to yuor luggage and some cruisers stay at some less than perfect hotels
Personally after 40+ years staying in hotels I have never seen them and never on a cruise ship(30+ cruises)

Last edited by jonbgd; October 1st, 2012 at 09:35 PM.

Old October 1st, 2012, 09:36 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbgd View Post
Dont the bed bugs attach themselves to yuor luggage and some cruisers stay at some less than perfect hotels
Personally after 40 years staying hotels I have never seen them and never on a cruise ship(30+ cruises)
Not Carnival cruisers... With all these Platinums that I keep reading about with their fancy parties and their ability to skip tender lines, I would think that most Carnival cruisers would be frequenting more reputable establishments like the fountain bleu or the 4 seasons.

SS Norway - 2002
Grand Princess - 2003
Grand Princess - 2006
Voyager of the Seas - 2009
Circle Line Cruises - 1984
Staten Island Ferry - 1997 - 2003
Martha's Vineyard Ferry - 1990 - 2000
Carnival Magic - March 2012

Old October 1st, 2012, 09:47 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by donoiv View Post
Not Carnival cruisers... With all these Platinums that I keep reading about with their fancy parties and their ability to skip tender lines, I would think that most Carnival cruisers would be frequenting more reputable establishments like the fountain bleu or the 4 seasons.
But since your in Texas those that you talk about must be staying at the Galvez/Tremont or the San Luis
Should I check my bags from the Harbor house since Im platinum alsoJK

Old October 1st, 2012, 09:47 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by donoiv View Post
A while back, some dude named Timmer alleged that he had bed bugs and Carnival wouldn't do anything about it... Even posted a pic of a bedbug in a glass... I reposted it a couple times as a joke in subsequent threads... Who knows if we should believe him... His review was less than complete. If you search my post history, you will find the pic out there somewhere.
With the frequent cleanings and the changing of the bed coverings between cruises, I'm skeptical of these bedbug claims. Possible, but not likely, and probably not an innocent encounter. The most likely carrier is the complaining passenger, in my opinion. Also, it seems like a nice and very easy scam if somebody is trying to get some kind of compensation. Just bring them with you in a small package, then throw a tantrum with the "evidence" at hand.

Working as a motel desk clerk when I was in college, I had numerous guests who would check in, use the shower to get cleaned up, then come back screaming about cockroaches. They got their refunds and went happily on their way after getting a free use of our facilities. The alleged cockroaches never appeared during thorough room searches.
Carnival Liberty 12-17-2011
Carnival Dream 11-13-2010
Carnival Valor 12-13-2009
Carnival Mardi Gras 12-25-1977

Old October 1st, 2012, 10:22 PM
Cool Cruiser

Our room steward found our bed bugs while we were at port one day. We were notified immediately upon re-boarding the ship. We were moved to a new room, given free laundry, 50% of our cruise fare back and a 50% off future cruise certificate. There is more details below in my Carnival Freedom review. It hasn't prevented me from cruising with Carnival at all.
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...6#post37994926
Review: Carnival Paradise Feb 2014
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2106849

Old October 1st, 2012, 10:31 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

We checked into a hotel near Port Canaveral. Went to our room to check it out. Pulled back the mattress and seen bed bugs. Went back to the desk and told the clerk that there were bed bugs and we would like to get a refund. She said that we are in Florida and you have to expect bugs. We said that we can appreciate that but we dont want them in our bed. She got rather offensive and said that we would probably be more satisfied in the newer more expensive hotels across the freeway. We went across the freeway and got a nicer room plus more amenities for $30 more per night, no bed bugs, very nice lobby, great hospitality room, no musty odor, and a better breakfast.

We no longer stay at that chain and it was on that we frequented at the time and because of that incident it exposed us to the other chain that we now always look for when traveling and stay at when sailing out of Port Canaveral.

and doing more of doing less therefore I am working harder.

Warning: You will not be able to drink unlimited drinks all day long with the drink packages unless you start very early in the day. 🍸🍻🍺🍧☕

Important Health Information: WASH YOUR HANDS OFTEN 🙌

Last edited by miched; October 1st, 2012 at 10:34 PM.