Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > North American Homeports > East Coast Departures > Florida Departures
 
Register here!
Forgot Your Password?


Notices

Florida Departures
Ft. Lauderdale, Jacksonville, Miami & Port Canaveral & Tampa

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old October 1st, 2012, 01:00 PM
Toddcan's Avatar
Toddcan Toddcan is offline
Blue Ribbon Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Niagara, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,213
Default Ft. Lauderdale - 8 or 9 possible terminals?

We're sailing on Royal Caribbean's Independence of the Seas in March 2013. So, being the cronic planner that I am, I naturally wanted to plan my route to the port the best I could.

So, I go to the port website, and even look at google earth and see that there are at least 8 (maybe 9) different terminals. Gah! how am I supposed to plan this out ?

So, here are my questions.
1. It looks like each terminal has it's own prking garage right beside (within easy walking distance) to the terminal itself. Am I correct?
2. I know the Indy only sails out of Port Everglades in the spring/summer, but is there any way to know which terminal I will be in?
3. Is there good signage? Once I know my terminal - are the signs good?
4. I assume it's just as easy as any other port: Drive up, find the porters (well marked), drop off luggage, go park, walk to terminal
5. Anything else I should know, or is this port just as easy as Miami?

__________________
---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ----
Royal Caribbean Liberty of the Seas - Mar '14 (8.5/10) - Back to Labadee with DW
Royal Caribbean Independence of the Seas - Mar '13 (7/10) - Family Vacation!

Royal Caribbean Liberty of the Seas - Aug '09. (9.5/10). Dream Family Vacation.
Carnival's Holiday - Mexico Aug '08 (8.5/10) -Quick Fix Cruise.
Carnival's Sensation - Bahamas Mar '07 (8.5/10) - Family Spring Break Cruise.
NCLA's Pride of Aloha - Hawaii Aug '06 (9.5/10) -20th Anniversary Cruise! Our FIRST cruise.

Email: toddcan@gmail.com

Last edited by Toddcan; October 1st, 2012 at 01:00 PM.
Reply With Quote

  #2  
Old October 1st, 2012, 02:21 PM
duck addict's Avatar
duck addict duck addict is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Northern California
Posts: 633
Default

When you arrive at the port entrance, there is signage telling you which terminal to go to and decent directions to your correct one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddcan View Post
We're sailing on Royal Caribbean's Independence of the Seas in March 2013. So, being the cronic planner that I am, I naturally wanted to plan my route to the port the best I could.

So, I go to the port website, and even look at google earth and see that there are at least 8 (maybe 9) different terminals. Gah! how am I supposed to plan this out ?

So, here are my questions.
1. It looks like each terminal has it's own prking garage right beside (within easy walking distance) to the terminal itself. Am I correct?
2. I know the Indy only sails out of Port Everglades in the spring/summer, but is there any way to know which terminal I will be in?
3. Is there good signage? Once I know my terminal - are the signs good?
4. I assume it's just as easy as any other port: Drive up, find the porters (well marked), drop off luggage, go park, walk to terminal
5. Anything else I should know, or is this port just as easy as Miami?

__________________



USS Stoddard (DD566), USS Dale (DLG 19), USS Coronado (LPD11)

Disney Wonder (4 day) Dec 2007, Dec 2008, Disney Magic Western Caribbean Nov/Dec 2009, Alaska Inside Passage RCL Rhapsody of the Seas May 2010, Star Princess Mar/Apr 2011 Southern Caribbean Medley, January 2012 Emerald Princess Eastern Caribbean Voyager, February 2013 Coral Princess Panama Canal, January 2014 Grand Princess Hawaii
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old October 1st, 2012, 02:28 PM
CruiserBruce's Avatar
CruiserBruce CruiserBruce is offline
10,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Petaluma, Ca. 94954
Posts: 18,138
Default

Given all the info you have found, it is actually pretty easy to navigate Port Everglades. You won't have any problems.
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old October 1st, 2012, 04:28 PM
Keith1010 Keith1010 is offline
50,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 62,814
Default

As everyone has said once you arrive to the Port it will be very easy to find the ship and the parking.

Keith
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old October 1st, 2012, 05:45 PM
dreamer976's Avatar
dreamer976 dreamer976 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: suburban Chicago
Posts: 976
Default

It's been a few years, but the last time I cruised the Independence out of Port Everglades, we were at terminal #24.

We were on a shuttle, not driving ourselves, but it is very well marked, at least in that part of the port.
Reply With Quote

Ad Sponsored By
  #6  
Old October 1st, 2012, 08:40 PM
DanJ's Avatar
DanJ DanJ is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: London, Canada
Posts: 6,899
Default

The port is very easy to figure out. If you are driving in, you basically take the 595 east from I-95, go past the airport and follow the signs. You drive straight in to the port. If you are parking a vehicle, I'd suggest the Park N Go lot, which is right outside the port gate on Eller Dr. It's half the price of the port parking, and their shuttles pick you up at your car and drop you at the luggage porters. At the end of the cruise, you just go outside the terminal, look for one of their mini-buses and hop in and they take you right back to your car. While the port parking is convenient, you may not return to the same terminal you left from, which means you car is over there somewhere, while you are over here. And while the port apparently provides shuttles in these situations (I don't know this for fact), you've basically paid double to do exactly what you would have done at Park N Go.

As for where the ship will be, it will likely be at 24 and 25 (you'll probably board the ship from 25 and disembark from 24) or 29 with a possibility of 21. 25 and 21 are directly opposite each other while 29 is out of the way to the sound end of the port area. This would be my concern on your return day if you are parked in the garage beside 21 and the ship came back to 29.
__________________
Dan

"I'd Rather Be On A Ship With A Drink On The Rocks, Than In The Drink With A Ship On The
Rocks."

Fond Memories Of

Navigator Of The Seas - Western Caribbean - Jan 2011
Carnival Pride - Grand Turk and Bahamas - Twins First Cruise - Aug 2009
Caribbean Princess - Eastern Caribbean - Jan 2008
Sapphire Princess - Mexican Riviera - Jan 2006
Carnival Victory - Canada/New England - Sept 2001
Carnival Tropicale - Panama Canal - Jan 2001
Grand Princess - Eastern Caribbean - Nov 1999
Westerdam - Honeymoon -Eastern Caribbean - Nov 1995
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old October 1st, 2012, 09:48 PM
Toddcan's Avatar
Toddcan Toddcan is offline
Blue Ribbon Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Niagara, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,213
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanJ View Post
The port is very easy to figure out. If you are driving in, you basically take the 595 east from I-95, go past the airport and follow the signs. You drive straight in to the port. If you are parking a vehicle, I'd suggest the Park N Go lot, which is right outside the port gate on Eller Dr. It's half the price of the port parking, and their shuttles pick you up at your car and drop you at the luggage porters. At the end of the cruise, you just go outside the terminal, look for one of their mini-buses and hop in and they take you right back to your car. While the port parking is convenient, you may not return to the same terminal you left from, which means you car is over there somewhere, while you are over here. And while the port apparently provides shuttles in these situations (I don't know this for fact), you've basically paid double to do exactly what you would have done at Park N Go.

As for where the ship will be, it will likely be at 24 and 25 (you'll probably board the ship from 25 and disembark from 24) or 29 with a possibility of 21. 25 and 21 are directly opposite each other while 29 is out of the way to the sound end of the port area. This would be my concern on your return day if you are parked in the garage beside 21 and the ship came back to 29.

Anyone know if this happens often? (Arriving at a different terminal than you left from). That seems like a real pain.

I've only been on 4 cruises, and we always just drove to the port (except for Hawaii), parked our car right there, and walked ~100 yards to the terminal doors. I REALLY like the thought of debarking, and walking right to the car, not hopping on a shuttle that 250 other people are trying to catch too. But, if there is a decent chance we will arrive at a different terminal, that would suck.
__________________
---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ----
Royal Caribbean Liberty of the Seas - Mar '14 (8.5/10) - Back to Labadee with DW
Royal Caribbean Independence of the Seas - Mar '13 (7/10) - Family Vacation!

Royal Caribbean Liberty of the Seas - Aug '09. (9.5/10). Dream Family Vacation.
Carnival's Holiday - Mexico Aug '08 (8.5/10) -Quick Fix Cruise.
Carnival's Sensation - Bahamas Mar '07 (8.5/10) - Family Spring Break Cruise.
NCLA's Pride of Aloha - Hawaii Aug '06 (9.5/10) -20th Anniversary Cruise! Our FIRST cruise.

Email: toddcan@gmail.com
Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old October 1st, 2012, 09:57 PM
CruiserBruce's Avatar
CruiserBruce CruiserBruce is offline
10,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Petaluma, Ca. 94954
Posts: 18,138
Default

While possible, chances are good you will return to the same pier, or very close. The cruise line needs to have pretty steady assignments to piers for their checking in of the next cruise. Yes, if you are on an odd day, you could get Pier 29- which is the overflow pier. Been there once. Have you done any research on how many ships are in port on your return date? Check the Port Everglades website for info, and check it regularly for number of ships in port.

Worst case, realistically, is you leave one person with all the bags while you walk to the parking garage. Then drive the car back and p/u everyone and the bags.

Last edited by CruiserBruce; October 1st, 2012 at 10:03 PM.
Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old October 2nd, 2012, 07:36 AM
Toddcan's Avatar
Toddcan Toddcan is offline
Blue Ribbon Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Niagara, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,213
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiserBruce View Post
While possible, chances are good you will return to the same pier, or very close. The cruise line needs to have pretty steady assignments to piers for their checking in of the next cruise. Yes, if you are on an odd day, you could get Pier 29- which is the overflow pier. Been there once. Have you done any research on how many ships are in port on your return date? Check the Port Everglades website for info, and check it regularly for number of ships in port.

Worst case, realistically, is you leave one person with all the bags while you walk to the parking garage. Then drive the car back and p/u everyone and the bags.
Excellent point...
On embarkation day, there are 7 ships at port
On debarkation day, there are 6 ships at port.

There are 9 terminals in total. I'm guessimating that we will return to the same pier/terminal.
__________________
---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ----
Royal Caribbean Liberty of the Seas - Mar '14 (8.5/10) - Back to Labadee with DW
Royal Caribbean Independence of the Seas - Mar '13 (7/10) - Family Vacation!

Royal Caribbean Liberty of the Seas - Aug '09. (9.5/10). Dream Family Vacation.
Carnival's Holiday - Mexico Aug '08 (8.5/10) -Quick Fix Cruise.
Carnival's Sensation - Bahamas Mar '07 (8.5/10) - Family Spring Break Cruise.
NCLA's Pride of Aloha - Hawaii Aug '06 (9.5/10) -20th Anniversary Cruise! Our FIRST cruise.

Email: toddcan@gmail.com
Reply With Quote

  #10  
Old October 2nd, 2012, 08:41 AM
DanJ's Avatar
DanJ DanJ is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: London, Canada
Posts: 6,899
Default

Part of the issue is the day you come back, you also have the Liberty of the Seas. It sails the day after you, likely from the same pier as you sailed from. Since it does 4 and 5 day routes, it might have priority for the same terminal, rather than the Indy doing the 6 and 8 day routes. As this is also a weekend, then the Oasis and Allure have terminal 18.
__________________
Dan

"I'd Rather Be On A Ship With A Drink On The Rocks, Than In The Drink With A Ship On The
Rocks."

Fond Memories Of

Navigator Of The Seas - Western Caribbean - Jan 2011
Carnival Pride - Grand Turk and Bahamas - Twins First Cruise - Aug 2009
Caribbean Princess - Eastern Caribbean - Jan 2008
Sapphire Princess - Mexican Riviera - Jan 2006
Carnival Victory - Canada/New England - Sept 2001
Carnival Tropicale - Panama Canal - Jan 2001
Grand Princess - Eastern Caribbean - Nov 1999
Westerdam - Honeymoon -Eastern Caribbean - Nov 1995
Reply With Quote

  #11  
Old October 2nd, 2012, 10:28 AM
royalcruz's Avatar
royalcruz royalcruz is offline
10,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Ft Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 12,280
Default

You don't need to bring a map or plan anything. It is a big port but no harder to find what you need than Miami. Even if you come back to a different terminal it will probably be on the same block. If not, there will be parking shuttle. Just relax and go and have fun.
__________________
SHARON
coming up....X Silhouette 12/14 Admiral Cruises SS Emerald Seas 89,Sky Princess 12/92,RCCL Majesty 8/95,Celebrity Century 5/97,RCCL Voyager 4/00,RCCL Enchantment 11/01,X Millenium 2/02,X Millenium 12/03,X Millenium 11/04,RCCL Explorer 11/05,X Constellation 11/06,Carnival Liberty 2/07,RCCL Enchantment 5/07,RCCL Enchantment 9/07,Caribbean Princess 12/07,RCCL Navigator 2/08,Caribbean Princess 5/08,RCCL Enchantment 9/08, HAL Westerdam 12/08, RCCL Navigator 2/09, RCCL Enchantment 9/09, Emerald Princess 11/09,X Solstice 1/10, RCCL Navigator 12/10,X Solstice 1/11,Ruby Princess 4/11, X Solstice 12/11, RCCL Liberty 1/12, Ruby Princess 3/12, RCCL Majesty 9/12, RCCL Allure 12/12, RCCL Liberty 2/13, X Silhouette 3/13, RCCL Liberty 11/13, X Silhouette 12/13, RCCL Liberty 2/14, RCCL Vision 4/14, X Reflection 06/14
Reply With Quote

  #12  
Old October 2nd, 2012, 10:59 AM
Toddcan's Avatar
Toddcan Toddcan is offline
Blue Ribbon Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Niagara, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,213
Default

Did a little more digging - makes sense now... From the website:

Northport Parking GarageThe 2500-space Northport garage (soon expanding to 4,250 spaces) services:

Greater Fort Lauderdale/Broward County Convention Center
Northport cruise terminals including Cruise Terminals 1, 2 & 4.
Entrance: Turn south on Eisenhower Blvd. from 17th Street Causeway, or come east on State Road 84, entering the Port and turning left at Eisenhower Blvd.

From I-595, go east straight into the Port. Follow signs for Terminals #1, 2 & 4 and/or the Convention Center.

Midport Parking GarageThe 2000-space Midport garage services:

Cruise Midport Cruise Terminals 19, 21, 22/24, 25, 26, 27 and 29.
Entrance: Take I-595 east straight into the Port. Continue heading east to the garage on the left side of the street.

Midport Surface Lots
Cruise Terminal 18 has its own 600-space surface parking lot adjacent to the terminal.

Parking Lot #19 is a 400-space surface parking lot located between Cruise Terminals 18 and 19 and is used when the parking lot at Cruise Terminal 18 and the Midport Garage are full. The entrance is on SE 19th Street.

Garage and surface parking rates are the same.
__________________
---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ----
Royal Caribbean Liberty of the Seas - Mar '14 (8.5/10) - Back to Labadee with DW
Royal Caribbean Independence of the Seas - Mar '13 (7/10) - Family Vacation!

Royal Caribbean Liberty of the Seas - Aug '09. (9.5/10). Dream Family Vacation.
Carnival's Holiday - Mexico Aug '08 (8.5/10) -Quick Fix Cruise.
Carnival's Sensation - Bahamas Mar '07 (8.5/10) - Family Spring Break Cruise.
NCLA's Pride of Aloha - Hawaii Aug '06 (9.5/10) -20th Anniversary Cruise! Our FIRST cruise.

Email: toddcan@gmail.com

Last edited by Toddcan; October 2nd, 2012 at 11:02 AM.
Reply With Quote

Reply

Bookmarks


Ad Sponsored By
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:33 AM.


© 1995 - 2014, The Independent Traveler, Inc. All rights reserved.
"A Community of People Who Love To Cruise"
All of the information contained within Cruise Critic is protected by copyright. You may, however, download a single copy only for your personal use.