Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Conversations > Lose Before You Cruise

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Lose Before You Cruise A place for cruisers to share their stories of how to lose weight before a cruise. Virtual snacks allowed, but only in small quantities.

Old September 26th, 2012, 08:32 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjonescat View Post
I lost 1.2 lbs this week!!! It was a surprise! I am now on the 8 weeks to Thanksgiving challenge.
Great news!! Congratulations....

2004 Conquest Cruisin' with the Tide
2005 Glory Cruisin' with the Tide
2008 Valor Vagabonds (Sisters at Sea)
2009 Miracle Lovers (Sisters at Sea)
2011 Liberty Libations (Sisters at Sea)
2012 Liberty Tides (Liberty Belles)
2013 Breeze Tides (Lushes at Sea)
2014 Glory Belles
2015 Liberty?? Valor?? Breeze??
2016 Pride

"But I took a sip, and yeah, it felt good on my lips...."

Old September 27th, 2012, 04:13 PM
Cool Cruiser

Dangit. Meeting at work this morning and boss brought in bagels and I just had another 1/2 for lunch. Too much bread today, but ok, crave is over. Working out tonight as usual and keep up with it. Might be just veggies for dinner. Pretty close to the daily points. I was .7 from goal last week and I am not going to mess that up

Deborah

Carnival Jubilee - 1996 Mexican Riviera Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta, Caba San Lucas
Royal Caribbean Enchantment of the Seas - 2007 Western Caribbean Ocho Rios, Grand Cay man

Old September 27th, 2012, 04:28 PM
Cool Cruiser

Went to weigh in this morning. Lost another 1.2 pounds. That makes 19.4 since June (when I joined) and a total of 41.2 since I started trying to lose. It was more than I expected, which was nice.

I can't imagine being .7 from goal! I've ever only gotten to within about 50 pounds of goal. I am praying that THIS will be the time I make it. Primarily because I think I finally have it set in my mind that this is what I will have to do for the rest of my life. There's no going back to the way I used to eat.

05-15-2011 Carnival Pride
12-02-2012 Carnival Pride
06-02-2013 Carnival Valor

Last edited by bunchesofun; September 27th, 2012 at 04:29 PM.

Old September 28th, 2012, 02:37 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunchesofun View Post
Went to weigh in this morning. Lost another 1.2 pounds. That makes 19.4 since June (when I joined) and a total of 41.2 since I started trying to lose. It was more than I expected, which was nice.

I can't imagine being .7 from goal! I've ever only gotten to within about 50 pounds of goal. I am praying that THIS will be the time I make it. Primarily because I think I finally have it set in my mind that this is what I will have to do for the rest of my life. There's no going back to the way I used to eat.

I hear you on this!. That was exactly my frame of mind when I rejoined this year too. And even with some ups and downs, I am keeping to it. I lost the half pound I put on last week when I weighed in on Wednesday. I will not see too much loss next week because everyone continues to bring treats into the house ( we are having a weeklong family reunion) but I am not eating them like I previously would have- trying to control the sweet tooth. They will all be gone by Sunday and then the total tracking can begin again. I figure a week of bingeing is not going to bring a loss but it is also not going to stop me from continuing on this new way of eating either. The goal is within reach and I will reach it and maintain it for the rest of my life.

Congrats to all the losers.

Nikki

Old September 29th, 2012, 09:19 PM
Cool Cruiser

I just joined Weight Watchers Online a couple of weeks ago after having little success this year losing weight and being (at the time I joined) a little over six weeks from my cruise and still 13 lbs. above goal.

The points system has worked well for me so far; was down 2.4 lbs. on the first weigh-in and 1.8 on the second. This morning, I was down only 0.2 lbs. from last Saturday, but, hey, a loss is a loss.

Don't know how I'm going to this coming week because we have friends visiting from out of town, and that means theme park visits and meals out. We went to Food & Wine Festival at Epcot today. Try tracking points from that! But we left early afternoon, and I managed to get in a bike ride, so hopefully that didn't hurt me too much.

Now four weeks out from our cruise, with 8.6 lbs. to go. If I get close to goal by the time we leave, I'll be satisfied. I'm already closer than I've been all year. Will probably gain some back on the cruise, but hopefully I'll be able to lose it before the holidays roll around.

RCCL Brilliance of the Seas - 4/2015 - Western Caribbean
RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas - 5/2014 - Alaska
Disney Dream - 1/2014 - Bahamas
Carnival Conquest - 10/2012 - Western Caribbean
RCCL Allure of the Seas - 9/2011 - Western Caribbean
RCCL Freedom of the Seas - 9/2009 - Western Caribbean
RCCL Mariner of the Seas - 5/2007 - Western Caribbean
Disney Wonder - 5/2004 - Bahamas
Disney Magic - 3/2002 - Eastern Caribbean

RCCL Crown & Anchor Society
Gold Member

Old September 30th, 2012, 09:05 AM
Cool Cruiser

Hi everyone! I finally for back into WW 2 months ago after falling odd the wagon. My daughter and I went together. We both were doing so well until vacation 2 weeks ago. I've gained 5 lbs and I'm so embarrassed. Basically because I had losses 4 weeks straight and now this. So I haven't been back. I know this is wrong but I want to lose before I go back. But its so much harder tryin.g to lose without the weigh in and meetings weekly. Started back tracking today. So my Meeting is Thursday evening @ 6p and I will be there....loss or not. I've realized that's what WW is all about.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Xparent Purple Tapatalk 2

Carnival Triumph 5/30/2009
Carnival Glory 5//31/2010

Old September 30th, 2012, 10:03 AM
Cool Cruiser

You can't skip meetings, even if you don't stay for them, you have to check in. It's fixed point that if you've gained, from that point on it's in the past and not to be worried about. I have 9 weeks until we sail, and I'd hoped to lose a total of 25 by cruise date, and so far I've lost 19.4. So I really hope I'll make it.

Last night we picked my dh up at the airport from a trip to CA for his 35th high school reunion. We went out to eat at a Perkins. I chose a french dip sandwich with a side salad (low fat Italian dressing), but darned if I didn't get sucked into having a giant muffin with everyone else. Looked it up when I got home and it was 15 points! I still had weekly points available (and have still more left) so technically I did no wrong, but still, I need to show more self control than that if I'm going to survive on the cruise without putting masses of weight back on. I'm prepared to put on a little, but do NOT want to back track by more than 5 pounds. I mean, I have over 100 left to lose and I'm only losing a little over a pound a week. That would set me back by a month, which I don't want to do.

Somewhere I have a notebook where I was going over the cruise menus and trying to track out points of all the meals so I could look at it and decide before hand what I was going to eat. I need to dig that out and work on it some more.

Old September 30th, 2012, 10:50 AM
Cool Cruiser

You're right bunchesof fun. I need to go.and at least weigh in. I was out of town for one week but there's no excuse for the other 2. I do know Carnival has the Spa menu. Those are lighter choices for is that are weight conscious. Even have desserts. And they taste wonderful. There is a site that has all of the ship menus.....can't think of the name eight now. When I do I'll post it. You are doing so well. 15 points is a lot for a muffin but thank goodness for the weekly points!

Old September 30th, 2012, 10:55 AM
Cool Cruiser

Zydecocruiser dot net. You should be able to find dinner menus as well as bar menus here.

Old September 30th, 2012, 01:27 PM
Cool Cruiser

Yeah, I have the link saved. Earlier this year I took a notebook, looked at each choice and tried to figure out for example, how many oz of meat in a serving of flat iron steak and things like that. Figured if I had the points worked out in advance (to the best of my ability) I could make better choices. I did that with a drink menu too, but just not sure how big the glasses are that they use. Most places give stats for 4 oz drinks and I think Carnival's are more like 8 oz drinks so that's double the points. I know I won't be having more than one drink a day because of points. I have to stick to cereal for breakfast, a sandwich for lunch, then whatever I've chosen for supper. That should keep me within points if I'm careful at supper time.

Old September 30th, 2012, 01:42 PM
Cool Cruiser

Last year I made moat of my own drinks using algae free mixers. Brought my Baja Bobs and Crystal Light along with diet Sprite. Had easy access to oj. Just took my cup to breakfast and filled it with juice. Ordered vodka and rum fr O cruise om BonVoyage and that was in the cabin when we arrived. Had 3 and 4 point drinks depending on how much alcohol I added. But its still better than the bar drinks and cheaper too! I cruise May 14,2013 and want to be down 30-40 lbs by then.

Old October 1st, 2012, 07:36 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrishOB View Post
I just joined Weight Watchers Online a couple of weeks ago after having little success this year losing weight and being (at the time I joined) a little over six weeks from my cruise and still 13 lbs. above goal.

The points system has worked well for me so far; was down 2.4 lbs. on the first weigh-in and 1.8 on the second. This morning, I was down only 0.2 lbs. from last Saturday, but, hey, a loss is a loss.

Don't know how I'm going to this coming week because we have friends visiting from out of town, and that means theme park visits and meals out. We went to Food & Wine Festival at Epcot today. Try tracking points from that! But we left early afternoon, and I managed to get in a bike ride, so hopefully that didn't hurt me too much.

Now four weeks out from our cruise, with 8.6 lbs. to go. If I get close to goal by the time we leave, I'll be satisfied. I'm already closer than I've been all year. Will probably gain some back on the cruise, but hopefully I'll be able to lose it before the holidays roll around.
Sometimes "managing" is all you can do, and it sounds as though you did great! Good job!!

2014 Glory Belles
2016 Pride

Old October 1st, 2012, 07:39 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
You can't skip meetings, even if you don't stay for them, you have to check in. It's fixed point that if you've gained, from that point on it's in the past and not to be worried about. I have 9 weeks until we sail, and I'd hoped to lose a total of 25 by cruise date, and so far I've lost 19.4. So I really hope I'll make it.

Last night we picked my dh up at the airport from a trip to CA for his 35th high school reunion. We went out to eat at a Perkins. I chose a french dip sandwich with a side salad (low fat Italian dressing), but darned if I didn't get sucked into having a giant muffin with everyone else. Looked it up when I got home and it was 15 points! I still had weekly points available (and have still more left) so technically I did no wrong, but still, I need to show more self control than that if I'm going to survive on the cruise without putting masses of weight back on. I'm prepared to put on a little, but do NOT want to back track by more than 5 pounds. I mean, I have over 100 left to lose and I'm only losing a little over a pound a week. That would set me back by a month, which I don't want to do.

Somewhere I have a notebook where I was going over the cruise menus and trying to track out points of all the meals so I could look at it and decide before hand what I was going to eat. I need to dig that out and work on it some more.
Thank you! I know you weren't addressing your response to me, but I felt it anyway! The Saint (DH) and I took a 3 day trip to the mountains, so I didn't go weigh in when we returned on Tuesday. And, I should have!! I will be there tomorrow night, and although the picture might not be pretty, I'm weighing in!!

2014 Glory Belles
2016 Pride

Old October 1st, 2012, 08:58 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thank you all so much. My picture won't ne pretty either but at least I'll be holding myself accountable

Old October 2nd, 2012, 07:01 AM
Cool Cruiser

I'm having that kind of week as well. Picked dh up at the airport after a trip to CA, and we stopped for supper on the way home. I did great until I succumed to a large Perkins chocolate chip muffin (15 points!). Then dh brought home 20 tacos from Jack in the Box, a chain we miss out here in Ohio. I was counting them like the home made tacos I make and AFTER I ate them I checked Dottie's weight loss zone restaurant chart and they were 5 points each. Then last night had a small piece of birthday cake. So now it's only Sunday (I weight on Thursdays) and I've used all my weekly extra points. My weight is up a little and I don't know what will happen on Thursday, but I have to take my own medicine and go to the meeting regardless of what I think will happen.

Last edited by bunchesofun; October 2nd, 2012 at 07:06 AM.

Old October 2nd, 2012, 03:18 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
I'm having that kind of week as well. Picked dh up at the airport after a trip to CA, and we stopped for supper on the way home. I did great until I succumed to a large Perkins chocolate chip muffin (15 points!). Then dh brought home 20 tacos from Jack in the Box, a chain we miss out here in Ohio. I was counting them like the home made tacos I make and AFTER I ate them I checked Dottie's weight loss zone restaurant chart and they were 5 points each. Then last night had a small piece of birthday cake. So now it's only Sunday (I weight on Thursdays) and I've used all my weekly extra points. My weight is up a little and I don't know what will happen on Thursday, but I have to take my own medicine and go to the meeting regardless of what I think will happen.
Just bite the bullet and go to the meeting and weighin. You may suprise yourself. One week I didn't cvount points nor stay on trach (so I thought). And ended up losing 2.5 pounds!!! You still have a couple of days to recover. My weigh in day is thursday too!!!

Old October 2nd, 2012, 07:48 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Ok....so it wasn't pretty, but it's over and I'm right back on track. I gained 3 pounds, but I'm still down from where I started 3 weeks ago

And, a group of my WW buddies and I are starting a 12 week program at the Y, so that will help, too. I'm excited about exercise???? No, just the results of exercise

I hope all of you have a better weigh-in than me.....

2014 Glory Belles
2016 Pride

Old October 2nd, 2012, 08:34 PM
Cool Cruiser

That's alright. It will be better next week. The exercise group will also help. It's nice to have workout buddies. The workout won't be so boring.

Old October 3rd, 2012, 12:08 AM
Cool Cruiser

I have been away for a bit, but I have gained 4 lbs, and I am ready to get back on this thread and WW. Going to WI friday, but I know that I am 4 lbs over goal.

Old October 3rd, 2012, 05:12 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalagh View Post
I have been away for a bit, but I have gained 4 lbs, and I am ready to get back on this thread and WW. Going to WI friday, but I know that I am 4 lbs over goal.
Good decision to go back! Most of us know the program but we need the accountability of stepping on the scales in front of others!

2014 Glory Belles
2016 Pride