Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Special Interest Cruising > Theme Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Theme Cruises Exchange info about the hot new trend of "theme cruising."

Old October 3rd, 2012, 05:01 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

You can't compare a regular cruise to a specialty cruise. It's not the same thing.

If we were to stay on the Carnival ship for the next sailing, prices start at approx $399 last time I checked. Huge price difference, and though the star performers won't.be on the next voyage, it's still the same ship with the same food and maybe excursions.

I am obsessed with details, so when this cruise is over I'll be posting full, detailed reviews all over the Internet. There weren't many for CJ when we started looking, so we didn't have much to go on other than word of mouth. Consumers deserve more info and that's why my screen name is Ms411.

Past Cruises:
Carnival Victory - 9/11/2011
Serenade of the Seas - 9/4/2011

It's not the places you go; it's the people you meet.

Old October 3rd, 2012, 08:26 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Capital Jazz Excursions Recently Posted

Hi Hattack, Pfunkbail, MS411, Akwaaba, Myrtlewood! I read your recent comments about the recently posted excursions CJ just listed. The party boat excursion w/ Eric Roberson & Layla Hathaway is simply the same excursion the ship offers on a normal cruise. I also emailed CJ and asked if either of them would be doing any type of performance at anytime throughout that particular excursion and they said no. So there is no difference except they'll physically be on the same party boat as you or whomever decides to book. The same thing goes with the horseback riding, it's the same excursion the ship offers on a normal cruise. If you would just go to Carnival Cruises and bring up that ship then bring up destination of Antigua etc you can see all of the different excursions that route offers. Just do a little bit of research.

Another thing is that Hattack is correct. I have been on many cruises and lately I've been on many chartered cruises. Starting in 2007 I did the Festival at Sea Cruise (FAS) in August 2007. In October 2008 & 2009 I did the Capital Jazz Super Cruise. In 2009 & 2010 I did the Legendary Rhythm & Blues Cruise (LRBC). YOU can choose to either do some, none, or all if you can possibly do all. It's up to you and just because you don't have a booking number at this time shouldn't stop you from knowing whether you do or don't want to do something. Also sometimes it's fun to just wing it and see what happens when the time comes! On the LRBC cruises and FAS cruises, both these companies are into their 20th or more cruise. Therefore they are well versed in getting out booking numbers etc in a quicker time. I do agree we should have them by now, but I'm not worried about it one bit. It's all good! I do think that Capital Jazz needs to hire more staff and if they did so they'd be more organized and efficient, but they're doing something right because they do normally sell out.

Hattack, you are also correct when you say that the cabins that are now available are cabins that people lost who didn't finish paying in full on time. How do I know because I got a balcony cabin way late in the game when many on this Board were saying no one else would be able to get on. So I hope everyone has a good time, I know I will cause I'm gonna wing it as I like during sometime and plan during the other times! See y'all in about two weeks time! Rebecca

Old October 3rd, 2012, 10:15 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Why does this cruise seem like the Twilight Zone to me? Yes, 1sharp1, the excursions may be the same, but pricing may vary since CJ can guarantee a minimum. I'd also like to know times, so I can make the most of my day.

You can't do research without all the options, and that's where CJ comes up short, IMO.

Past Cruises:

Old October 4th, 2012, 12:06 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Sharpe1 View Post
Hi Hattack, Pfunkbail, MS411, Akwaaba, Myrtlewood! I read your recent comments about the recently posted excursions CJ just listed. The party boat excursion w/ Eric Roberson & Layla Hathaway is simply the same excursion the ship offers on a normal cruise. I also emailed CJ and asked if either of them would be doing any type of performance at anytime throughout that particular excursion and they said no. So there is no difference except they'll physically be on the same party boat as you or whomever decides to book. The same thing goes with the horseback riding, it's the same excursion the ship offers on a normal cruise. If you would just go to Carnival Cruises and bring up that ship then bring up destination of Antigua etc you can see all of the different excursions that route offers. Just do a little bit of research.

Another thing is that Hattack is correct. I have been on many cruises and lately I've been on many chartered cruises. Starting in 2007 I did the Festival at Sea Cruise (FAS) in August 2007. In October 2008 & 2009 I did the Capital Jazz Super Cruise. In 2009 & 2010 I did the Legendary Rhythm & Blues Cruise (LRBC). YOU can choose to either do some, none, or all if you can possibly do all. It's up to you and just because you don't have a booking number at this time shouldn't stop you from knowing whether you do or don't want to do something. Also sometimes it's fun to just wing it and see what happens when the time comes! On the LRBC cruises and FAS cruises, both these companies are into their 20th or more cruise. Therefore they are well versed in getting out booking numbers etc in a quicker time. I do agree we should have them by now, but I'm not worried about it one bit. It's all good! I do think that Capital Jazz needs to hire more staff and if they did so they'd be more organized and efficient, but they're doing something right because they do normally sell out.
You can research all you want about the varies excursions, but you need the booking number to know which ones will be available on your cruise, I know that every one listed may not be; but not having my booking number has not stopped me from researching.

As I mentioned before, having the booking number also confirms that you have a cabin onboard that cruise. I know someone who was all packed and paid in full without a cabin (crooked travel agent).

I don't mind winging some things, my friends who have gone on this cruise before warned me about the lack of organization and told me it would all workout, but with the money I'm paying everthing shouldn't have to be winged.

Old October 4th, 2012, 05:16 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Akwaaba, I agree with you 100%, and your post is the first I'd heard that they're unorganized. I suspected this wasn't the first time there had been issues, but you're the only person who's indicated that it's CJ' M.O.

I went ahead and booked our excursions direct. No way would I wait for CJ.

Past Cruises:

Old October 4th, 2012, 10:44 AM
Cool Cruiser

We are cruising towards the end of the hurricane season and are subject to storm activity in the Gulf. Last year we experienced this first hand. The Captain of the Valor did an outstanding job keeping us out of harm's way and safe, but the net result was a disruption of port calls and rough seas for two nights especially during dinner and evening activities. It also impacted the ability to board several artists scheduled to perform for the balance of the cruise.
On a "normal" cruise a weather disruption causes major guests challenges during hurricane season on a full charter music cruise the disruption is magnified due to tight scheduling of the artists performances and related activities. What may have been perceived by some guests as the Capital Jazz staff being disorganized or "winging it" during this period was perceived by other guests as understanding that the staff was attempting "on the fly" to switch gears to fill the gap. I thought the artists work with the Capital Jazz staff and the Captain of the Valor, to make it as comfortable and fun as possible. We were treated to several impromptu unplanned allstar concerts by the artists to help fill the void.
The net result is that I am sure the Capital Jazz staff learned from that experience and have incorporated into their planning process for this year's and future cruises an enhanced playbook to cover worse case scenarios (i.e. last minute tropical storm shift in the southern caribbean that results in sending us to the western caribbean when we leave FLL) I trust guests who have booked non Carnival shore excursions also have a back up plan if that happens.
As far as the Capital Jazz Festival this year, I was there. The friday night rain storm caused major challenges and guests disruptions, but most folks roll with it and the balance of the weekend was great

Old October 4th, 2012, 11:27 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by hattack View Post
We are cruising towards the end of the hurricane season and are subject to storm activity in the Gulf. Last year we experienced this first hand. The Captain of the Valor did an outstanding job keeping us out of harm's way and safe, but the net result was a disruption of port calls and rough seas for two nights especially during dinner and evening activities. It also impacted the ability to board several artists scheduled to perform for the balance of the cruise.
On a "normal" cruise a weather disruption causes major guests challenges during hurricane season on a full charter music cruise the disruption is magnified due to tight scheduling of the artists performances and related activities. What may have been perceived by some guests as the Capital Jazz staff being disorganized or "winging it" during this period was perceived by other guests as understanding that the staff was attempting "on the fly" to switch gears to fill the gap. I thought the artists work with the Capital Jazz staff and the Captain of the Valor, to make it as comfortable and fun as possible. We were treated to several impromptu unplanned allstar concerts by the artists to help fill the void.
The net result is that I am sure the Capital Jazz staff learned from that experience and have incorporated into their planning process for this year's and future cruises an enhanced playbook to cover worse case scenarios (i.e. last minute tropical storm shift in the southern caribbean that results in sending us to the western caribbean when we leave FLL) I trust guests who have booked non Carnival shore excursions also have a back up plan if that happens.
As far as the Capital Jazz Festival this year, I was there. The friday night rain storm caused major challenges and guests disruptions, but most folks roll with it and the balance of the weekend was great
I want to make clear that the friends who mentioned the disorganization has been on this cruise since it was going out of Baltimore, I don't think they've missed a year since it started. They told me this to reassure me so I wouldn't worry, which I'm not doing, but I am a little bugged.

Also, one of them mentioned the storm last year and thought it was handled well.

Old October 4th, 2012, 12:24 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Booking Numbers (Let your fingers do the walking)

Greetings again! For those who don't want to wait until tomorrow to receive your booking number....just call Carnival and they will give it to you. I just did and am in the process of checking in on-line. As far as winging it, I was simply talking about the activities to do on the ship and at the different ports. Who knows you may have one thing planned and decide to do something totally different. That's all I'm saying. Anyway, let me finish doing my check in and I really hope those that are annoyed, worried, out done etc, etc really do enjoy! Yes, I paid over $5,000.00 and I'll be doggone if a storm or anything else is going to ruin my cruise! It's simply called adapting!

Old October 4th, 2012, 12:57 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Sharpe1 View Post
Greetings again! For those who don't want to wait until tomorrow to receive your booking number....just call Carnival and they will give it to you. I just did and am in the process of checking in on-line. As far as winging it, I was simply talking about the activities to do on the ship and at the different ports. Who knows you may have one thing planned and decide to do something totally different. That's all I'm saying. Anyway, let me finish doing my check in and I really hope those that are annoyed, worried, out done etc, etc really do enjoy! Yes, I paid over $5,000.00 and I'll be doggone if a storm or anything else is going to ruin my cruise! It's simply called adapting!
As I said before I plan to have a great time, I love music and I love cruising, so you don't have to hope anything for me.

You shouldn't have to call for your booking number, this is cruise travel agent 101.

Old October 4th, 2012, 12:58 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Thanks for the info on checking in. I'll wait for the email from CJ.

I really appreciate everyone's input. The more information we have, the better we can all make travel decisions.

Past Cruises:

Old October 4th, 2012, 04:57 PM
Cool Cruiser

I was surprise as to the number of guests that I met onboard and also in viewing the pics from past SuperCruises, how many folks have never missed a SuperCruise and they provide a very good perspective of the changes ,challenges and growth in just 6 years.
The SuperCruise has come a long way from it's start out of Baltimore on Royal Caribbean Monarch of the Seas to Bermuda for 5 days, to the Carnival Freedom 8 days to the Southern Caribbean.

Their overall enjoyment once they were onboard far outshadows the minor challenges encounter prior to the cruise. Everything seems to work out for the good, which is why folks return year after year. This will be our third straight SuperCruise and we are already booked and paying on SuperCruise 7 in Nov 2013

I noticed on the CJ FaceBook page that there was a teaser about an announcement for SuperCruise 8 (2014) will be made in Feb/Mar of 2013. Usually the announcement for the next year's cruise is made in early June around the time of the Capital Jazz Fest. If you include next year's SuperCruise, we have pretty much covered the Caribbean, so I am thinking maybe __________

Old October 5th, 2012, 04:00 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

I get the impression that since they sell out every year, they don't need my business, and that's how I feel I've been treated. I mentioned this to them early on, and of course they said they value my business.

I've resigned myself to the fact that their idea of customer service differs from mine. I don't think a full ship theme cruise is the way to go for me, but you don't know until you go.

That's why online postings are so helpful. Had there been more reviews on jazz cruises, I could have made a decision that better reflected my values. But, now that I've found the DC Jazz fest, I'm going to do that next year.

Are they going to wait until the last minute to send the email today? I want to calculate how much each performance costs us so I can determine FOR MYSELF if it's a good deal or not. We're paying approximately a $1,200 premium for the music. I want to divide that by the number of performances.

ARITHMETIC!

Past Cruises:

Old October 5th, 2012, 05:32 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms411 View Post
I get the impression that since they sell out every year, they don't need my business, and that's how I feel I've been treated. I mentioned this to them early on, and of course they said they value my business.

I've resigned myself to the fact that their idea of customer service differs from mine. I don't think a full ship theme cruise is the way to go for me, but you don't know until you go.

That's why online postings are so helpful. Had there been more reviews on jazz cruises, I could have made a decision that better reflected my values. But, now that I've found the DC Jazz fest, I'm going to do that next year.

Are they going to wait until the last minute to send the email today? I want to calculate how much each performance costs us so I can determine FOR MYSELF if it's a good deal or not. We're paying approximately a $1,200 premium for the music. I want to divide that by the number of performances.

ARITHMETIC!
The Smooth Jazz Cruise run by Entertainment Cruise Production provides an excellent, well organized product with several different cruises to choose from. Weeks before our sail date we received our tee shirts (there's a contest for the most creative one), and package of performances, and luggage tags in the mail. I received by booking number approximately 2 weeks after my final payment giving me plenty of time to plan my excursions. We received regular emails and information from them. Phone calls to them were immediately answered (no answering machines).

The SJC was a wonderful experience from start to finish and I plan to sail with them again. By all accounts, CJ is a lot of fun, you just shouldn't expect it to be smooth sailing before you sail.

I'm an organizer as you seem to be, so I know this is tough on you, I'm just glad I was warned beforehand.

Old October 5th, 2012, 05:50 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default What I Found Out Today

I know I shouldn't have asked the question.... Today I was talking to my Carnival travel agent about another cruise I plan to take next year, and mentioned the CJ cruise. Well.... She checked and found (1) they are not allowed to give the booking numbers out for this cruise, (2) my cabin is not occupied by me, and (3) she didn't see my name or that of my cabin mate anywhere. She did reassure me that just because she didn't see my name doesn't mean I'm not booked.

Maybe this is why they haven't sent the information out yet, they're ironing out these types of things.

No... I'm not panicking, there's plenty of time before we sail

Old October 5th, 2012, 06:26 PM
Cool Cruiser

I agree about providing information for effectively. I'm still shocked that no Carnival information arrived today via email..well then again the day is not over..
I have friends that that booked for 2013 but I need to attend one before I go booking another....SMDH@sjc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms411 View Post
CJ tells too many lies. Don't tell us you're going to notify us by email, and then post on Facebook before you send an email.

I'm not letting my cabin mates know about the Antigua party, because I don't want to change our plans.

CJ needs to "fix" too many things to get my business again. I don't like the way they do business, and won't cruise with them again. They're not the only ones who can throw a party.

Old October 5th, 2012, 06:41 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Thanks, Akaaba, but I'm sticking to regular cruises and land music festivals from now on. Especially after your most recent post. Sigh.

And where's our apologetic email? CJ is always flunking customer service 101. I guess some people have higher customer service standards than others, and those people seem to be in the minority on CJ cruises .

Can somebody explain why there would be an issue with cabins at this late date? They should have just tried to sell the ones where people defaulted to keep it simple instead of offering upgrades.

Past Cruises:

Old October 5th, 2012, 09:04 PM
Cool Cruiser

I also agree that Capital Jazz Productions could definitely improve on communication between itself and it's clients (cruisers). I sailed with CJ in 2010 and there were some issues then as well. I too am very detail oriented (almost to a fault) and I like to be pro-active so it is has taken alot for me to be patient. Although there were issues then and now I can still say that I really did have a wonderful time and I am excited about sailing and hanging out with all of you in a few weeks.

I don't think we'll see any correspondence from CJ until Sunday about our TravelPak.

Soukous SAILED on Carnival Liberty 10-23-2010
Capital Jazz Super Cruise... Great Smooth Jazz and Cool Soul

Old October 5th, 2012, 09:57 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Wink

Check your email. Mine came at around 8 pm today.

Past Cruises:

Old October 5th, 2012, 10:13 PM
Cool Cruiser

The booking number & other information finally arrived...@8:00pm..

Old October 5th, 2012, 10:32 PM
Cool Cruiser

DAY 5 – Wednesday

Port of Call: St. Lucia - 8:00am-5:30pm

I'm a little confused..what time is this concert while we in port?

Special afternoon poolside concert featuring Will Downing