Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Special Interest Cruising > Family Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Family Cruises Cruising with kids? Best Family Cruise Advice
Cruise Critic's Family Cruising Resources
Traveling with kids? Best Family Travel Advice
Family Vacation Critic's Family Travel Site

Old September 11th, 2012, 03:41 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default FLL taxis - car seats/booster chairs

I have 2 young children, ages 3 & 6. We will need transportation from the Fort Lauderdale airport to a hotel, hotel to port everglades and back from the port to airport. How would the taxis work if I am not bring any car seats/boosters?

Would I be better/safer to take a shuttle so we would be in a bigger vehicle?

Past Cruises:
Allure of the Seas - October 2012
Allure of the Seas - April 2011
Serenade of the Seas - January 2006
Navigator of the Seas - June 2003

Ad Sponsored By
Old September 11th, 2012, 04:06 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenten View Post
I have 2 young children, ages 3 & 6. We will need transportation from the Fort Lauderdale airport to a hotel, hotel to port everglades and back from the port to airport. How would the taxis work if I am not bring any car seats/boosters?

Would I be better/safer to take a shuttle so we would be in a bigger vehicle?
Florida law requires children to be in appropriate child restraints. If you don't want to bring them, take a shuttle that has no seat belts.

Requirements here, and they apply to taxis:

http://sheriff.org/safety/carseat.cfm
“You will lose someone you can’t live without, your heart will be badly broken, and the bad news is that you never completely get over the loss of your beloved. But this is also the good news. They live forever in your broken heart that doesn’t seal back up. And you come through. It’s like having a broken leg that never heals perfectly—that still hurts when the weather gets cold, but you learn to dance with the limp.”

Old September 11th, 2012, 05:36 PM
Cool Cruiser

Ditto to what 6rugrats said. You should also know that a vehicle without seatbelts, while having many features built in to protect occupants, does not protect children smaller than the average 4 year old very well. However, given the choice of bus or taxi with no seats, I would pick the bus.
There are many of us on this board who have travelled extensively with car seats, if you are interested in figuring out how to bring your own seats, which IMHO is always the safest option.
(How fitting is it that my 1000th post is about car seats lol!)

Completed:

NCL Sun 1-1-2011 Eastern Carribean
NCL Star 1-1-2012 Western Caribbean
NCL Jewel 30-12-12 Florida and Bahamas
Disney Dream 14-3-13 Bahamas
NCL Breakaway 9-3-2014 Florida and Bahamas

Land trips to Italy, Portugal, Spain, Egypt, Colombia, Venezuela, Jamaica, Cuba, Dominican Republic, most of the eastern US and all the Canadian provinces.

Old September 11th, 2012, 10:14 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&Z's Mom View Post
Ditto to what 6rugrats said. You should also know that a vehicle without seatbelts, while having many features built in to protect occupants, does not protect children smaller than the average 4 year old very well. However, given the choice of bus or taxi with no seats, I would pick the bus.
There are many of us on this board who have travelled extensively with car seats, if you are interested in figuring out how to bring your own seats, which IMHO is always the safest option.
What would you do with the car seats on the ship?
Crown Princess 12/07
Explorer of the Seas 03/07
Carnival Valor 03/05
Carnival Conquest 3/04

Old September 11th, 2012, 11:45 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by fozziscooter View Post
Put them on the floor in the closet.
Ocean Princess - Western Mediterranean - 10/10 -- Ruby Princess - Eastern Caribbean - 3/10 -- Island Princess - Coastal 5/09 -- Sapphire Princess - New Zealand/Australia 3/08 -- Sapphire Princess - Coastal 5/07 -- Tahitian Princess - Tahiti/Hawaii 7/06 -- Island Princess - Coastal/Alaska 5/06 -- Golden Princess - Southern Caribbean 9/04 -- Sun Princess - Coastal - 4/04 -- Sun Princess - Panama Canal - 4/01 -- Carnival - Caribbean - 11/00 -- Royal Caribbean - Caribbean 7/99 -- Grand Princess - Caribbean - 11/98 -- Pacific Princess - Mediterranean - 11/97 -- Sun Princess - Western Caribbean - 12/95 -- Regal Princess - Western Caribbean - 11/94 -- Dawn Princess - Mexico 5/93 -- Dawn Princess - Mexico 4/93 -- Fair Princess - Mexico - 12/92 -- Regal Princess - Alaska - 5/92 -- Regal Princess - Eastern Caribbean - 8/91 -- Fairsky - Western Caribbean - 4/87 -- Fairwind - Eastern Caribbean - 4/84

Old September 12th, 2012, 11:13 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Congratulation! Yet, these same questions get asked over and over. Maybe they should be answered with a link to your posts?
“You will lose someone you can’t live without, your heart will be badly broken, and the bad news is that you never completely get over the loss of your beloved. But this is also the good news. They live forever in your broken heart that doesn’t seal back up. And you come through. It’s like having a broken leg that never heals perfectly—that still hurts when the weather gets cold, but you learn to dance with the limp.”

Old September 12th, 2012, 03:44 PM
Cool Cruiser

We will be flying into FLL and we will be bringing our car seat. It might be a "hassle" for a little while, but in the end, I think it will be worth it for the safety of our daughter. We will be storing it in the closet in our stateroom. Also, we will be using it when we use taxis on the islands for excursions (mostly just beach days).
Fascination (00)
Explorer of the Seas (01)
Rhapsody of the Seas (02)
Nordic Empress (03)
Grandeur of the Seas (04)
Adventure of the Seas (05)
Vision of the Seas (06)
Explorer of the Seas (07)
Majesty of the Seas (07)
Grandeur of the Seas (07)
Inspiration (10)
Independence of the Seas (13)

Old September 12th, 2012, 08:20 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Use them in port?
Store them in the cabin when not in use...as others have said, the closet floor works very well, although if you use a Radian/Diono it could fold up and go under the bed.
Sorry, long day at work and my sarcastic side it out in full force

Completed:

Land trips to Italy, Portugal, Spain, Egypt, Colombia, Venezuela, Jamaica, Cuba, Dominican Republic, most of the eastern US and all the Canadian provinces.

Old September 13th, 2012, 02:37 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Use them in port?
Store them in the cabin when not in use...as others have said, the closet floor works very well, although if you use a Radian/Diono it could fold up and go under the bed.
Sorry, long day at work and my sarcastic side it out in full force
I am trying to figure out what we will do....we will have one toddler seat and one infant seat.
Crown Princess 12/07
Carnival Valor 03/05
Carnival Conquest 3/04

Old September 13th, 2012, 07:08 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
I am trying to figure out what we will do....we will have one toddler seat and one infant seat.
I would put the toddler seat (I'm assuming that's what you're calling a rear facing/forward facing combination seat) on the floor of the closet, then flip the infant seat upside down and place it on top of the combination seat. It will take up the least amount of room and keep both seats safe. Our experience has been that if we store the seats under our dress shirts, nothing ever touches them. Alternately you could throw a clean towel over the bottom of the infant seat so it wouldn't get any clothes in the closet dirty.

Completed:

Old September 14th, 2012, 11:15 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
I would put the toddler seat (I'm assuming that's what you're calling a rear facing/forward facing combination seat) on the floor of the closet, then flip the infant seat upside down and place it on top of the combination seat. It will take up the least amount of room and keep both seats safe. Our experience has been that if we store the seats under our dress shirts, nothing ever touches them. Alternately you could throw a clean towel over the bottom of the infant seat so it wouldn't get any clothes in the closet dirty.
So much to figure out....if it wasn't for all our friends going on the cruise I wou,d of rather gone to a Beaches resort. I am glad that I am starting to do all the planning, etc now!!
Crown Princess 12/07
Carnival Valor 03/05
Carnival Conquest 3/04

Old September 14th, 2012, 03:35 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
So much to figure out....if it wasn't for all our friends going on the cruise I wou,d of rather gone to a Beaches resort. I am glad that I am starting to do all the planning, etc now!!
It does take some planning, but once you are on board, it is much better than Beaches . Plus soon you'll be a pro at it!

Completed:

Old September 22nd, 2012, 10:58 PM
Cool Cruiser

Here's how we handled the booster seat issue:

*4-years-old: Cruise out of Miami. Taxi from airport to hotel. Shuttle bus from hotel to port. We did NOT bring a booster seat for the ten minute taxi ride from the airport to hotel. Our son used a regular seatbelt. Not a broblem with the cab driver, but our son is big for his age. No booster seat necessary for ride in shuttle bus. A booster seat would have been a waste on the Western Caribbean islands. Transportation was by bus or cab (no seatbelts).

*5-years-old: Land vacation in the Florida Keys. I brought a booster seat for this one. We rented a car and did lots of driving. I knew we would be in the car a lot, so I brought a seat from home to be certain we would have it.

Old September 23rd, 2012, 07:53 PM
Cool Cruiser

We have taken taxis from the airport to the port of FLL and MIA many times with kids between 3 and 7. Usually they are able to sit in the back with just a regular seat belt. One time we were told that we will need a van for safety reasons so we had to wait for about 10-15 until a van arrived. We have never taken the shuttle. In FLL the distance from airport to port in less than 15 minutes, in MIA it's a bit longer.

2/20/2007 - Caribbean Princess
2/12/2008 - Crown Princess
2/20/2009 - Crown Princess
3/5/2010 - NCL Epic
7/13/2010 - Celebrity Equinox
11/20/2010 - Crown Princess
7/27/2011 - Regent Seven Seas Mariner
12/31/2011 - RCI Enchantment of the Seas
2/11/2012 - Celebrity Silhouette
March 2012 - RCI Liberty of the Seas
March 2012 - Oceania Marina
May 2012 - Azamara Journey

Old September 24th, 2012, 05:44 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by alj1208 View Post
Here's how we handled the booster seat issue:

*4-years-old: Cruise out of Miami. Taxi from airport to hotel. Shuttle bus from hotel to port. We did NOT bring a booster seat for the ten minute taxi ride from the airport to hotel. Our son used a regular seatbelt. Not a broblem with the cab driver, but our son is big for his age. No booster seat necessary for ride in shuttle bus. A booster seat would have been a waste on the Western Caribbean islands. Transportation was by bus or cab (no seatbelts).

*5-years-old: Land vacation in the Florida Keys. I brought a booster seat for this one. We rented a car and did lots of driving. I knew we would be in the car a lot, so I brought a seat from home to be certain we would have it.
See post #2, children need appropriate car seats. Yes, the occasional taxi driver will let you off, but it should not be done. It doesn't matter how big/heavy your child is, a 4yo is not developmentally able to sit properly in a seatbelt.
And yes, I practice what I preach. Our 4yo rode in his car seat on our last trip, this year he will be 5 and fortunately no seat is needed with our plans. I will consider using a booster with him when he is 6 yrs, but not before.
Boosters are not a waste on the Western Caribbean islands, we used DS1's booster in Roatan and Mexico. Both had seatbelts, we just had to look.
I get so frustrated with these comments being reiterated over and over when they are clearly not true.
Ok, rant over.

Completed:

Old September 24th, 2012, 08:56 PM
Cool Cruiser

We used a company called Top Shuttle when we took our young grandchildren on a cruise out of Miami, they will supply car seats and booster seats if needed.

Old October 4th, 2012, 02:27 PM
Cool Cruiser

So much to plan...thank you all so much for your help! I am going to have a lot more questions. We have bought our flight for the way down and are flying into FLL. We will be on JetBlue and we bought a seat for our daughter who will be 22 months when we fly. I am thinking if we bring her car seat on the plane it will be more comfortable for her, etc. If we buy two of those travel things that you just put the car sear in does anyone know if we can just check in the strollers instead of dragging them to the gate? We are going to bring 2 umbrella strollers an I have a nice bag that both will fit in...
Crown Princess 12/07
Carnival Valor 03/05
Carnival Conquest 3/04

Old October 4th, 2012, 02:37 PM
Cool Cruiser

If once we board if we do not think we will use or need the car seats will Carnival store them somewhere?
Crown Princess 12/07
Carnival Valor 03/05
Carnival Conquest 3/04

Old October 4th, 2012, 07:57 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
So much to plan...thank you all so much for your help! I am going to have a lot more questions. We have bought our flight for the way down and are flying into FLL. We will be on JetBlue and we bought a seat for our daughter who will be 22 months when we fly. I am thinking if we bring her car seat on the plane it will be more comfortable for her, etc. If we buy two of those travel things that you just put the car sear in does anyone know if we can just check in the strollers instead of dragging them to the gate? We are going to bring 2 umbrella strollers an I have a nice bag that both will fit in...
What do you mean by "travel things that you may put the car seat in"? Do you mean a clip and go stroller frame that turns the car seat into a stroller? The airlines change their regulations frequently, but if you go to their website and look under the section talking about travelling with children, they will list their rules around checking equipment. I find that if you have purchased a seat for the child, they will allow an extra piece of checked luggage for free, but this is not always the case.
As for Carnival storing the seat, I don't let mine out of my sight, and they fit really nicely on the bottom of the cabin closet.

Completed:

Old October 5th, 2012, 11:14 AM
Cool Cruiser

I just wanted to chime in. We were planning on NOT bringing the carseat, my daughter will be 3 years old and is 37 lbs now - 40 lbs is the minimum weight for a booster seat. She will be in a taxi from FLL to port (10 minute drive). I read the second post, but does this apply to public vehicles? In Ontario where I live the law is similar but does not apply to public vehicles (i.e. taxi, bus). We have done a few taxi rides at home without the child seat.

Carribean Princess - Southern Carribean - January 2013
Emerald Princess - Scandinavia and Baltics - September 2009
Sapphire Princess - Mexican Riviera - February 2009
Celebrity Xpedition - Galapagos - December 2008
Grand Princess - Western Caribbean - January 2008
Coral Princess - Alaska - August 2007