Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Special Interest Cruising > Gay & Lesbian Cruisers

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Gay & Lesbian Cruisers A Gathering Place for Discussing Your Favorite Cruises.

Old July 15th, 2012, 09:47 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulypride View Post
I didn't sail from Texas. It was a group from Texas. And yes Carnival cannot control the actions of its guests. It sure can of its employees. It was the behavior/speech of the employees and the follow up that makes me think that they could care less.
Really? From the cruises I've seen Carnival has been pretty accepting of it's gay pax. I've head the Cruise director can set the pace for staff behavior. I guess we just have to research the type of cruise style. If I knew a large group from Texas weas on board(especially party revelers)I'd be cautious.

Ad Sponsored By
Old July 30th, 2012, 02:44 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattInFLL View Post
Carnival attracts a very mainstream, middle America crowd... not that there's anything wrong with that... but definitely a more "traditional values" crowd and I think more opportunity for potential unpleasantness. But on one of the megaships doing a 7 day or more itinerary, you are going to get a more diverse crowd these days.

But I would absolutely avoid any 3 or 4 day party cruise on any ship, as the Monarch incident from last year indicated.
What is the Monarch incident from last year?

Old July 31st, 2012, 04:15 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwguy View Post
Ultimately, I think the departure port is best indicator of the demographic you will encounter. The 'redder' the State, the more likely you will encounter aggressive homophobia.
Which is one of the reasons I'm jazzed that one of my favorite Princess ships will be home-ported here in San Francisco beginning in the Spring.
1/06 Westerdam -W. Caribbean * 1/07 Dawn Princess - Mexican Riviera * 1/08 Zuiderdam - E. Caribbean * 4/08 Celebrity Mercury - Alaska * 12/09 Crown Princess - W. Caribbean * 8/10 Sea Princess - Alaska * 1/11 Sapphire Princess - Mexican Riviera * 4/11 Island Princess - Panama full transit * 8/11 Sea Princess - Alaska * 2/12 Grand Princess - E. Caribbean * 4/12 Coral Princess - Panama full transit * 12/12 Star Princess - SFO to Buenos Aires * 4/13 Golden Princess - Hawaii * 10/13 Royal Princess - Trans-Atlantic * 2/14 Sapphire Princess - Mexican Riviera

Old October 1st, 2012, 09:21 PM
Cool Cruiser

Red face

Just did my 2nd carnival cruise and was generally pleased (7 day Liberty W Carib). Still prefer a more upscale cruise like Celebrity but wouldn't hesitate to do Carnival again if the price & itinerary is right. For September it was either Carnival or a pricey RC megaship with 3 sea days (bad for new cruisers like my BF).

There were quite a few gay men on board but all were couples or groups. They had FOD parties most nights at the Alchemy bar -- which is a popular bar between the nightclub and comedy club -- and I didn't obviously see a group of FOD congregating except one night (but it was the same group of 5-6 guys who were obviously traveling together).

The demographics were fine, very few old people and a good mix of 20/30/40-somethings. The music in the nightclub was a bit hippity-hoppity for my taste, but they were playing to the crowd... and mixed it up eventually. SEveral guys were hanging all over each other one night on the dance floor and nobody freaked out.

But remember: 7 day cruise, fly-in port for most passengers, off-peak season for families/kids = much different atmosphere.

Carnival is largely different than other cruise because of the demographics, and demographics are not the same on every cruise!!!
Costa Serena W Med Nov 2012
Carnival Liberty W Carib Sept 2012
Carnival Destiny
W Carib
Sept 2011
RC Serenade S Carib March 2011 (Atlantis)
Celebrity Solstice E Carib May 2010
Celebrity Summit S Carib March 2010

Celebrity Century Feb 2009
HAL Westerdam Oct 2008
RC Enchantment Dec 2006

Old October 3rd, 2012, 10:28 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default the whole story

Quote:
Originally Posted by starsjohn View Post
On my one trip with Carnival, I had a drink thrown at my head and called queer, you be the judge.

John
I can't believe that someone, out of the clear blue, would just go ahead and do this. What occurred before that happened and afterward? What's the whole story? It seems to be unfair to just capture that one statement and "condemn" a line without detailing all the circumstances around the issue.

Old October 3rd, 2012, 03:35 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising mickey View Post
I can't believe that someone, out of the clear blue, would just go ahead and do this. What occurred before that happened and afterward? What's the whole story? It seems to be unfair to just capture that one statement and "condemn" a line without detailing all the circumstances around the issue.
Perhaps the person was affectionate with his partner? Either way, that drunken slob had NO right to do what he did!

Old October 4th, 2012, 09:52 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Not saying that the person did

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithm View Post
Perhaps the person was affectionate with his partner? Either way, that drunken slob had NO right to do what he did!
Honestly, I don't agree with what the drunkard did, it was reprehensible, but I'm trying to get an overall impression of the events which transpired. Did Carnival get involved, etc.?

Old October 5th, 2012, 01:29 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising mickey View Post
Honestly, I don't agree with what the drunkard did, it was reprehensible, but I'm trying to get an overall impression of the events which transpired. Did Carnival get involved, etc.?
Not enough info. has come online about this event. Knowing Carnival(or any line,for that matter)The drunken slob would have been put off at the next port & a lawsuit could easily be filed by the victim. If it had happened to me..I guess I'd be up on manslaughter, as that jerk would have been thrown over the side!

Old October 6th, 2012, 10:13 PM
Cool Cruiser

I have done most of my most recent cruises on Carnival, and I must say that I do not think there is any antipathy toward the GLBT cruiser. It is silly to think so. Besides, Carnival owns Princess, HAL, and several other cruise lines, so to imply any corporate attitude is nonsense.

To put yourself in a Carnival CSR in their corporate offices dealing with complaints from individuals... how are they supposed to know what happened? I can't imagine how many individual spats happen on a cruise... and while someone may think a slight was because we are gay, unless there is a direct, specific, and explained confrontation, how could they know?

I am confident the individuals involved were correct in their assumption... but virtually impossible for Carnival, or any cruise line to know. But it is wrong to make broad assumptions about corporate policy when it is no doubt only an individual problem.

I organize group cruises on Carnival and quite often I have spoken to the Cruise Director to request some change or arrangement for the GLBT/FOD Mixer, and our requests have always been honored.

Carnival may not be the best cruise line, but it may be the best value. But I know there many of our breathern who look down on Carnival, and come aboard with an attitude... and if you come aboard with an attitude, it shows. If you want to have a good cruise, you will have a good cruise.

I have been met with nothing but welcome and respect on all cruise lines... including Carnival. I've only had one experience with a neighboring table glaring at our group in the MDR. I had occassion to bring the Maitre 'd over to the table to meet us, and it was clear in our area that we were welcomed, friendly, and cordial. The glares ceased.

Old October 7th, 2012, 09:31 AM
Cool Cruiser

Wink Great Post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenito View Post
I have done most of my most recent cruises on Carnival, and I must say that I do not think there is any antipathy toward the GLBT cruiser. It is silly to think so. Besides, Carnival owns Princess, HAL, and several other cruise lines, so to imply any corporate attitude is nonsense.

To put yourself in a Carnival CSR in their corporate offices dealing with complaints from individuals... how are they supposed to know what happened? I can't imagine how many individual spats happen on a cruise... and while someone may think a slight was because we are gay, unless there is a direct, specific, and explained confrontation, how could they know?

I am confident the individuals involved were correct in their assumption... but virtually impossible for Carnival, or any cruise line to know. But it is wrong to make broad assumptions about corporate policy when it is no doubt only an individual problem.

I organize group cruises on Carnival and quite often I have spoken to the Cruise Director to request some change or arrangement for the GLBT/FOD Mixer, and our requests have always been honored.

Carnival may not be the best cruise line, but it may be the best value. But I know there many of our breathern who look down on Carnival, and come aboard with an attitude... and if you come aboard with an attitude, it shows. If you want to have a good cruise, you will have a good cruise.

I have been met with nothing but welcome and respect on all cruise lines... including Carnival. I've only had one experience with a neighboring table glaring at our group in the MDR. I had occassion to bring the Maitre 'd over to the table to meet us, and it was clear in our area that we were welcomed, friendly, and cordial. The glares ceased.

Wonderful post Kenito! I've seen some whiney queens have a drink thrown at them by their own friends at a gay bar. Sometimes it's the only way to shut them up.

Old October 7th, 2012, 02:05 PM
Cool Cruiser

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoderickIII View Post
Wonderful post Kenito! I've seen some whiney queens have a drink thrown at them by their own friends at a gay bar. Sometimes it's the only way to shut them up.

Oh my gosh! You gave us a hearty Sunday morning laugh!

Thanks and good sailing!

Old October 18th, 2012, 06:46 AM
Cool Cruiser

My partner and I were on the Carnival Liberty in May and had a wonderful time! We felt very welcomed and had many converstions with the CD and other staff. FOD meetings were scheduled almost every day if not every day. This I do have to say was the most disappointing part of the experience. There was a carnival staff prsent but spent the entire time "chatting up" two young 20 somethings (noticed them later in the cruise with same staffer being taken to prime seats for one of the more popular shows). We participated in many of the events on board and even walked away with a couple of those highly coveted solid gold (plastic) shiiiiiiips on a stick! We never noticed any signs of homophobia. We are not the type to show any PDA (including on an RSVP Cruise in 2007), we ended up feeling very comfortable. We enjoyed the RSVP experience but are very glad to know that we can go on a "mainstream" cruise and will be on another Carnival cruise in February.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ;1368218
My only experience with Carnival was business related so I have no idea what to expect. All the other ships I have been on have certainly not felt homophobic and I have had a great time. Only 1 held an FOD party, but for the most part I have always felt part of the cruise. I would be interested to hear what people's experiences on Carnival have been.

Joey821
PSM821@aol.com
MS Scandanavia 1983
Carnival Victory 2000
Nordic Empress 2000
Monarch of the Seas 2001
Explorer of the Seas 2002
Millennium 2003
Norwegian Star 2004
Carnival Miracle 2004

Family vacation and our 20th Anniversary

Celebrating/Mourning both of us turning the Big 50 this year

Old February 27th, 2013, 08:38 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Conquest on Sunday

My partner and I are sailing on the Conquest this Sunday. This will be our first cruise. Do they post the FOD gatherings in a newsletter or something? Please explain how this all works! Thanks for the info!

Old February 28th, 2013, 05:24 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by paslftr View Post
My partner and I are sailing on the Conquest this Sunday. This will be our first cruise. Do they post the FOD gatherings in a newsletter or something? Please explain how this all works! Thanks for the info!
Carnival is very gay friendly. They post the LGBT daily in their newsletter. I don't now the deck plans for the Conquest, but on the Carnival ships I've been on it has been in the bar aft deck 6 or the Loby bar deck 3. The time very, so check the newsletter when you get to your cabin for the first night. Be prepaired, each cruise is diffrent and there may be people there or not. Some cruises just don't want to go. Have fun.

Joe
Carnival Holiday 09-Nov-91, Celebrity Meridian 27-Nov-92, Costa Classica 27-Mar-93, NCL Norway 19-Nov-94, Carnival Ecstasy 13-Apr-96, RCL Monarch 18-Mar-97, Celebrity Horizon 14-Nov-97, Carnival Elation 24-Apr-98, Princess Regal 18-Nov-98, Carnival Destiny 09-May-99, RCL Splendour 29-Nov-99, Celebrity Galaxy 22-Apr-00, Princess Grand 12-Nov-00 , Costa Atlantica 15-Apr-01 , Celebrity Summit 12-Nov-01, RCL Legend 06-May-02, Carnival Spirit 01-Apr-03, RCL Radiance 09-Nov-03, RCL Radiance 16-Nov-03, RCL Jewel 19-Apr-04 RCL Jewel 28-Oct-04, RCL Jewel 06-Nov-04, RCL Majesty 18-Apr-05, RCL Majesty 22-Apr-05, RCL Majesty 25-Apr-05, Celebrity Constellation 19-Nov-05, Celebrity Constellation 26-Nov-05, RCL Enchantment 05-Dec-05, RCL Enchantment 10-Dec-05, RCL Enchantment 15-Dec-05, NCL Majesty 28-May-06, RCL Radiance 25-Nov-06, RCL Radiance 03-Dec-06, RCL Radiance 09-Dec-06, RCL Radiance 25-Nov-06, RCL Granduar 08-Apr-07, RCL Granduar 27-Apr-07, RCL Jewel 25-Nov-07, RCL Jewel 01-Dec-07, RCL Vision 02-Mar-08, RCL Monarch 10-Mar-08, RCL Mariner 02-Dec-08, RCL Mariner 09-Dec-08, RCL Mariner 16-Dec-08, RCL Jewel 02-Mar-09, RCL Jewel 13-Mar-09, Crown Princess 21- Nov-09, Costa Atlantica 19-Dec-09, RCL Mariner 21-Mar-2010, NCL Dawn 02-May-2010, RCL Freedom 26-Sept-2010, Celebrity Solstice 28-Nov-2010, Carnival Valor 16-Jan-2011, Ruby Princess 13-Feb-2011, RCL Serenade 19-Mar-2011, Sapphire Princess 30-Apr-2011, RCL Allure 27-Nov-2011, Grand Princess 17-Dec-2011, Carnival Legend 08-Jan-2012, RCL Freedom 26-Feb-2012, RCL Voyager 24-Mar-2012, RCL Serenade 03-Oct-2012, Carnival Freedom 03-Nov-2012, RCL Brilliance 01-Dec-2012, Holland American Westerdam 15-Dec 2012, RCL Adventure 06-Jan-2013, Carnival Liberty 09-Feb-2013,Carnival Ecstasy 16-Mar-2013, Carnival Ecstasy 21-Mar-2013, Caribbean, Princess 12-Apr-2013, RCL Jewel 30-Nov-2013, RCL Jewel 07-Dec-2013 RCL Adventure 15-Dec-2013, RCL Radiance 19-Jan-2014, RCL Radiance 27-Jan-2014

Last edited by CrusingJoe; February 28th, 2013 at 05:25 AM.

Old March 2nd, 2013, 02:17 PM
Cool Cruiser

We were just on a carnival nude cruise. They seem to have no problem with LGBT at all. However, they designated the FOD at a terrible spot in a tiny bar in a main hall on the way to the dining hall. Not nearly enough room for us.

Hawaii 2010
BOFI 2011
FF2 2011
BNB cabin 9210
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old March 3rd, 2013, 11:03 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattstacie View Post
We were just on a carnival nude cruise. They seem to have no problem with LGBT at all. However, they designated the FOD at a terrible spot in a tiny bar in a main hall on the way to the dining hall. Not nearly enough room for us.

Hawaii 2010
BOFI 2011
FF2 2011
BNB cabin 9210
How did I miss this cruise. When was the sailing date and intenerary? If there was so many of us, you shouls ofaskthe CD to change locations or you could of just changed it yourself and informed everyone at the first gathering. We hav had to do this a few time on Princess.
Carnival Holiday 09-Nov-91, Celebrity Meridian 27-Nov-92, Costa Classica 27-Mar-93, NCL Norway 19-Nov-94, Carnival Ecstasy 13-Apr-96, RCL Monarch 18-Mar-97, Celebrity Horizon 14-Nov-97, Carnival Elation 24-Apr-98, Princess Regal 18-Nov-98, Carnival Destiny 09-May-99, RCL Splendour 29-Nov-99, Celebrity Galaxy 22-Apr-00, Princess Grand 12-Nov-00 , Costa Atlantica 15-Apr-01 , Celebrity Summit 12-Nov-01, RCL Legend 06-May-02, Carnival Spirit 01-Apr-03, RCL Radiance 09-Nov-03, RCL Radiance 16-Nov-03, RCL Jewel 19-Apr-04 RCL Jewel 28-Oct-04, RCL Jewel 06-Nov-04, RCL Majesty 18-Apr-05, RCL Majesty 22-Apr-05, RCL Majesty 25-Apr-05, Celebrity Constellation 19-Nov-05, Celebrity Constellation 26-Nov-05, RCL Enchantment 05-Dec-05, RCL Enchantment 10-Dec-05, RCL Enchantment 15-Dec-05, NCL Majesty 28-May-06, RCL Radiance 25-Nov-06, RCL Radiance 03-Dec-06, RCL Radiance 09-Dec-06, RCL Radiance 25-Nov-06, RCL Granduar 08-Apr-07, RCL Granduar 27-Apr-07, RCL Jewel 25-Nov-07, RCL Jewel 01-Dec-07, RCL Vision 02-Mar-08, RCL Monarch 10-Mar-08, RCL Mariner 02-Dec-08, RCL Mariner 09-Dec-08, RCL Mariner 16-Dec-08, RCL Jewel 02-Mar-09, RCL Jewel 13-Mar-09, Crown Princess 21- Nov-09, Costa Atlantica 19-Dec-09, RCL Mariner 21-Mar-2010, NCL Dawn 02-May-2010, RCL Freedom 26-Sept-2010, Celebrity Solstice 28-Nov-2010, Carnival Valor 16-Jan-2011, Ruby Princess 13-Feb-2011, RCL Serenade 19-Mar-2011, Sapphire Princess 30-Apr-2011, RCL Allure 27-Nov-2011, Grand Princess 17-Dec-2011, Carnival Legend 08-Jan-2012, RCL Freedom 26-Feb-2012, RCL Voyager 24-Mar-2012, RCL Serenade 03-Oct-2012, Carnival Freedom 03-Nov-2012, RCL Brilliance 01-Dec-2012, Holland American Westerdam 15-Dec 2012, RCL Adventure 06-Jan-2013, Carnival Liberty 09-Feb-2013,Carnival Ecstasy 16-Mar-2013, Carnival Ecstasy 21-Mar-2013, Caribbean, Princess 12-Apr-2013, RCL Jewel 30-Nov-2013, RCL Jewel 07-Dec-2013 RCL Adventure 15-Dec-2013, RCL Radiance 19-Jan-2014, RCL Radiance 27-Jan-2014

Last edited by CrusingJoe; March 3rd, 2013 at 11:04 AM.

Old March 3rd, 2013, 02:19 PM
Cool Cruiser

This was a Bare Necessities cruise. It was feb 9th thru 17th. We went to Cozumel, Costa Rica and Panama. Next time we WILL change the venue ourselves, believe me.

Hawaii 2010
BOFI 2011
FF2 2011
BNB cabin 9210

Old March 3rd, 2013, 02:35 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattstacie View Post
This was a Bare Necessities cruise. It was feb 9th thru 17th. We went to Cozumel, Costa Rica and Panama. Next time we WILL change the venue ourselves, believe me.

Hawaii 2010
BOFI 2011
FF2 2011
BNB cabin 9210
Thanks

Old March 13th, 2013, 11:52 AM
Cool Cruiser

Partner and I went on the Legend for the July 4th holiday in 2012. This was our first cruise. We had a great time!, There was FOD gatherings listed in the newsletter thingy that took place in the piano bar but no one showed up, (at least at the time we were there).

We were looking forward to the dinner seating as a way of meeting other cruisers (not necessarily gay) We ended up at a table of 8. I think they sit all same sex couples at the same tables because we had 3 other same sex couples at our table. One was a lesbian couple, one was a mother-daughter pair and the last was suppose to be a couple friends (ladies) but one cancelled at the last minute so there was an empty seat at our table. Had a great time with everyone.

We always presented ourselves as a couple where ever we went and had no problems ever. (maybe it had something to do with me being 6'2" and 300 lbs.)

Old April 3rd, 2013, 05:03 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassman352 View Post
Partner and I went on the Legend for the July 4th holiday in 2012. This was our first cruise. We had a great time!, There was FOD gatherings listed in the newsletter thingy that took place in the piano bar but no one showed up, (at least at the time we were there).

We were looking forward to the dinner seating as a way of meeting other cruisers (not necessarily gay) We ended up at a table of 8. I think they sit all same sex couples at the same tables because we had 3 other same sex couples at our table. One was a lesbian couple, one was a mother-daughter pair and the last was suppose to be a couple friends (ladies) but one cancelled at the last minute so there was an empty seat at our table. Had a great time with everyone.

We always presented ourselves as a couple where ever we went and had no problems ever. (maybe it had something to do with me being 6'2" and 300 lbs.)

LOL!!! I"m with you glassman352! I'm 6'7" and 250 and although I don't have a chip on my shoulder, won't hesitate to lock eyes with someone who looks "down" on me and my better half...and they will look away. Ha!

Cruise Countdown Tickers

Celebrity Eclipse | Southampton - Gibraltar, France, Rome and the Mediterranean September 2014
Diamond Princess | Whittier, Alaska to Beijing, China - 15 Nights September 2013
Celebrity Millennium | Panama -South & Central America October 2012 (B2B)
Celebrity Millennium | Hawaii October 2012 (B2B)
Celebrity Eclipse | Southampton - Adriatic and Western Mediterranean September 2011
Celebrity Summit | NE & Canada September 2010 (B2B)
Celebrity Summit |Bermuda September 2010 (B2B)
Celebrity Infinity | Panama Canal September 2009
Pacific Princess | Amazon River & FW Indies / Caribbean April 2009
Celebrity Constellation | Barcelona / Transatlantic Crossing September 2008
Celebrity Millennium | Eastern Caribbean February 2008
Celebrity Constellation | Scandinavia / Baltic September 2007
Celebrity Mercury | Mexico October 2006
Celebrity Constellation | NE & Canada October2005
Celebrity Mercury | Alaska July 2001
Carnival Ecstasy | Baja October 1998