Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Africa & Middle East

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old October 4th, 2012, 11:11 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Glad for the itinerary change on NCL Jade

We were definitely looking forward to seeing Egypt in March 2013 on the NCL Jade. I am sure Egyptian history is wonderful to experience in person, but we are glad our cruise itineray has changed so that Alexandria is no longer a stop. I feel sorry for the people trying to make a living off tourism in Egypt and I am sure they are very nice to tourists - but they are not the problem. A cruise ship with Americans on it would be an incredibly easy target for any group wanting to make a political statement and there wouldn't be a thing the locals could do to stop them. Non-US passengers should also care because they could be "collateral damage" or even targets themselves if non-Muslim. The current government in Egypt isn't very likely to be helpful either given their political leanings.

Better safe than sorry - this is a vacation. Thanks NCL for taking the situation seriously.

Old October 4th, 2012, 12:30 PM
Cool Cruiser

Sailing now out of Port Said after a wild day touring Cairo. Our only concern all day was making it back to the ship on time. The Museum of Antiquities is on Tahrir square, next to the burned out former headquarters of Mubarack's political party. Never felt unsafe, plenty of security, and the only disappointment was the museum shop was not replenished after the ransacking during the Revolution. Loved Ramses Tours and Cairo.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

"We travel not to escape life, but for life not to escape us."