Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Special Interest Cruising > Family Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Family Cruises Cruising with kids? Best Family Cruise Advice
Cruise Critic's Family Cruising Resources
Traveling with kids? Best Family Travel Advice
Family Vacation Critic's Family Travel Site

Old October 5th, 2012, 12:14 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintycake View Post
I just wanted to chime in. We were planning on NOT bringing the carseat, my daughter will be 3 years old and is 37 lbs now - 40 lbs is the minimum weight for a booster seat. She will be in a taxi from FLL to port (10 minute drive). I read the second post, but does this apply to public vehicles? In Ontario where I live the law is similar but does not apply to public vehicles (i.e. taxi, bus). We have done a few taxi rides at home without the child seat.
Orlando Taxicab Child Car Seat Law

Florida Statutes, Section 316.613 requires every operator of a motor vehicle transporting a child five (5) years of age or younger, to provide for the protection of the child by using a crash-tested, federally approved child restraint device.

Any taxicab or vehicle for hire driver in Florida can be cited for violation of FSS 316.613, if he or she is operating a ten passenger or less vehicle and transporting a child under five without providing an appropriate child restraint device.

Our Recommendation

We recommend bringing your own child car seat for the following reasons
1) There is no guarantee the next taxi in line will have a child car restraint. This might involve calling ahead to make special arrangements with the taxi company.
2) It's good to know the history of the car restraint your child will riding in.
3) Personal hygiene should be tops on your list. A dirty car seat provided by your taxi driver is not a place for your toddler.

Oasis of the Seas - November 27th. 2016
Serenade of the Seas - February 24th. 2017
Allure of the Seas - April 23rd. 2017
Harmony of the Seas - September 23rd. 2017
Navigator of the Seas - November 24th. 2017
Oasis of the Seas - January 28th. 2018
Plus 29 other wonderful RCI cruises!

Old October 5th, 2012, 01:52 PM
Cool Cruiser

I have done some research and there are at least a few shuttle companies where you can rent car seats and booster seats. I think this what we may do at this point...you just need to make your reservations ahead of time.

Carnival Glory 11/15
Allure of the Seas 11/14
Carnival Breeze 2/13
Emerald Princess 2/10
Mariner of the Seas 03/09
Crown Princess 12/07
Explorer of the Seas 03/07
Carnival Valor 03/05
Carnival Conquest 3/04

Old October 5th, 2012, 05:02 PM
Cool Cruiser

Can you share which shuttle companies will do this since you've done the research

I just don't want to lug her car seat (it's HUGE). If she is able to transition into a booster seat it might not be so bad. but if she's under 40 lbs then we'll have to do car seat.

Carribean Princess - Southern Carribean - January 2013
Emerald Princess - Scandinavia and Baltics - September 2009
Sapphire Princess - Mexican Riviera - February 2009
Celebrity Xpedition - Galapagos - December 2008
Grand Princess - Western Caribbean - January 2008
Coral Princess - Alaska - August 2007

Old October 5th, 2012, 05:35 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by fozziscooter View Post
So much to plan...thank you all so much for your help! I am going to have a lot more questions. We have bought our flight for the way down and are flying into FLL. We will be on JetBlue and we bought a seat for our daughter who will be 22 months when we fly. I am thinking if we bring her car seat on the plane it will be more comfortable for her, etc. If we buy two of those travel things that you just put the car sear in does anyone know if we can just check in the strollers instead of dragging them to the gate? We are going to bring 2 umbrella strollers an I have a nice bag that both will fit in...
We've never had an issue with gate checking a ton o'stuff. Ton o'stuff being defined as 2 carriers, 2 umbrellas and a Snap N' Go. We did that many times with the kids travelling as lap children and never a problem.

Unless you absolutely can't manage the strollers (or don't care about them), I would gate check. Remember that the strollers can be used to transport your carry-ons if not otherwise occupied.

We've always checked the big seats and use CARES on the plane. Given it's not as comfortable, but the big seats would be just about impossible to use on the plane. And beyond a relatively early age, they make it too easy for the kids to kick the seat in front.

I was under the impression that most airlines won't let you use a regular car seat on the plane, but JB's policy seems to say otherwise:
JetBlue allows the use of FAA-approved infant safety seats secured to standard passenger seats. Safety seats must have the appropriate manufacturer's label.

As a related quote/note: JetBlue will courtesy gate-check any of the following: strollers, car seats, wheelchairs, walkers, canes, or crutches. There is no limit to the number of assistive devices a Customer may transport as carry-on or checked baggage.

Old October 5th, 2012, 09:28 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cello56 View Post
3) Personal hygiene should be tops on your list. A dirty car seat provided by your taxi driver is not a place for your toddler.
Actually, the same applies to the adult seats as well. A dirty car seat is no fun, and drunks (who share some of the same habits as babies) have been known to ride in taxis too. Carry a blanket!

Old October 6th, 2012, 08:48 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintycake View Post
I just wanted to chime in. We were planning on NOT bringing the carseat, my daughter will be 3 years old and is 37 lbs now - 40 lbs is the minimum weight for a booster seat. She will be in a taxi from FLL to port (10 minute drive). I read the second post, but does this apply to public vehicles? In Ontario where I live the law is similar but does not apply to public vehicles (i.e. taxi, bus). We have done a few taxi rides at home without the child seat.
Actually the law in Ontario changed a few years ago, now children must be restrained at all times and there is no exclusion for grandparents and public vehicles.
The reference is here http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dan...ion2.1.8.shtml

Anthem of the Seas 2-1-2017 12 day Eastern and Southern Caribbean

Completed:

NCL Sun 1-1-2011 Eastern Carribean
NCL Star 1-1-2012 Western Caribbean
NCL Jewel 30-12-12 Florida and Bahamas
Disney Dream 14-3-13 Bahamas
NCL Breakaway 9-3-2014 Florida and Bahamas
NCL Gem 22-12-2014 12 day Christmas and New Year's
NCL Pride of America 28-3-2015 with a week in Kona
NCL Star 31-1-2016 Western Caribbean
NCL Breakaway 13-3-2016

Land trips to Italy, Portugal, Spain, Egypt, Colombia, Venezuela, Jamaica, Cuba, Dominican Republic, most of the eastern US and all the Canadian provinces.

Old October 9th, 2015, 05:57 PM
Cool Cruiser

So if you bring your own car seat, will the taxi driver take you? Or they will refer you to use van? There are 4 adults and 1 toddles in our company.... Just trying to see what's the best way to get transported while in FLL. I will use the service 3 times: FLL to hotel, Hotel to Cruiseport, Cruiseport to FLL.

Old October 9th, 2015, 06:30 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscaladeHybrid View Post
So if you bring your own car seat, will the taxi driver take you? Or they will refer you to use van? There are 4 adults and 1 toddles in our company.... Just trying to see what's the best way to get transported while in FLL. I will use the service 3 times: FLL to hotel, Hotel to Cruiseport, Cruiseport to FLL.
This is a very "OLD" thread....I think you're already getting good information on the thread you just posted a few days ago...at least current info.

However..to answer your question...you'll have no problem getting a van type taxi in the FLL taxi lineup...and yes with your own carseat you'll have no problem with the taxi driver's.
May 2016 RCI Adventure B2B: September 2015 RCI Radiance: March 2015 RCI Mariner: Oct 2014 RCI Jewel: May 2014 RCI Radiance: Oct 2013 RCI Oasis: May 2013 RCI Radiance: Feb 2012 PCL Sapphire: Aug 2011 RCI Liberty: Mar 2011 RCI Liberty: Aug 2010 RCI Jewel: Mar 2010 RCI Independance: May 2009 RCI Radiance: Jan 2009 RCI Independance: Oct 2007 RCI Vision: Oct 2006 RCI Vision: Oct 2005 RCI Vision: Oct 2004 RCI Vision: Aug 1997 RCI Viking Serenade: July 1995 RCI Viking Serenade: July 1994 RCI Viking Serenade: July 1985 Azure: June 1984 Azure:

Old October 9th, 2015, 07:13 PM
Cool Cruiser

I appreciate you answering my question. I just called cab company as well and they confirmed that will let me in with my toddler and my seat so I guess I am taking it and will take whichever will be better price. 1 taxi for 4 adults and toddler probably won't fit but the operator said that maybe. Anyways 2 separate taxis are better then one private van so I guess I will do that... Or the default scenario I will take a GO VAN which as I understand I don't need to pre-book. With my car seat, I will have no problems in getting into any cab, so the transportation from hotel from port, and then from port to FLL should be no issue whatsoever.

Old October 12th, 2015, 10:42 AM
10,000+ Club

I would tip the driver a few extra bucks for the time spent installing and uninstalling the car seats.

Old November 1st, 2015, 05:11 PM
Cool Cruiser

One more suggestion -- for kids who are old enough and heavy enough to use a booster seat, get a Bubble Bum inflatable booster seat (deflates and can be thrown into a carry on easily) or a backpack booster seat that can be carried by the child and also have space for toys or a few small kids items. Both are easy to travel with and take up very little additional space.

We traveled with our Bubble Bum earlier this year with our 5yo on a Panama Canal sailing. We were able to use it in our rental car in Florida before departing and in taxis/shuttles once we arrived in California. We also used them to/from the airports, as it allowed us to do one way car rentals rather than having to pay to park our car at the airport for 2.5 weeks.

RCCL Harmony of the Seas - February 2018 - E. Caribbean
NCL Jade - July 2017 - Norwegian Fjords
NCL Getaway - February 2016 - W. Caribbean
DCL Wonder - May 2015 - Panama Canal
NCL Dawn - February 2014 - W. Caribbean
NCL Epic - April 2013 - E. Caribbean
RCCL Serenade of the Seas - August 2008 - Alaska

Old November 2nd, 2015, 10:01 PM
Cool Cruiser

We have traveled often with a car seat.
This will be the first flight my son will be sitting without a carseat. Our carseat is big...it's a Britax Marathon. Flights can not stop you from safely restraining your child in a safety seat as long as is approved for air use and not expired. My son has slept on pretty much every flight because he's in his own comfortable and familiar seat. In the airport he is happy with the carseat clipped to one of those carts so he has somewhere to sit anytime we're waiting around and while we're running though the terminals.

I have installed the seat into countless taxis. Only once did we get a cab that wasn't equipped for carseat installation and we just waited for the next one.

I worry just as much, if not more, about him being safely restrained when in ports where I'm unfamiliar with the driving conditions etc.
The carseat has also gone on a small boat to an island off cozumel....the carseat likes to get around.

We're trying the Bubble Bum for the airport to port drive this time since he's 5.5 and will stay awake for short drives.

I think its important not to let child safety standards slip when we get into vacation mode. Our carseat waited in the corner of our cabin btw....and the stroller in the other...it was tight quarters at times.

RCI Oasis 2013
Carnival Ecstasy 1993
HAL MS Amsterdam 1988?

Old November 3rd, 2015, 07:59 AM
Cool Cruiser

Thank you for the info, lastminutemama. Planning our first vacation with our 1 yo and nervous about whether taxi drivers will be upset about waiting to install a car seat. I called a couple of hotels to inquire about whether we could install car seats on their shuttles and they seemed confused.

Old November 3rd, 2015, 09:00 AM
Cool Cruiser

The last time DD flew (3 1/2 years old), we checked her car seat (all other times we either had one at the destination or rented one). The only reason we even travelled with it was because we were doing a lot of driving throughout Southern CA and she was already too tall for most basic car seats that rental car companies would have (but not old/big enough for a booster). We did not use it on the plane as she would have been miserable in it. She was also way too tall for CARES--did great in the regular seat.

We could not have used it on the rental car shuttle or hotel shuttle if we had wanted to (there were no seat belts) which was fine.

We never cruised with a car seat (1-3 hour drive to ports). We just walked around ports, used a water taxi or enjoyed the empty ship.

In a few weeks we will be taking her to New York City (1 month shy of 5 years old) and we will be taking our Bubble Bum. She's used it a couple of times in the last few months and it's great.
Monarch of the Seas 9/2012
Royal Princess 8/2010
Ruby Princess 4/2009
Grand Princess 4/2008 Married at Sea
Grand Princess 7/2005
Ocean Princess 12/2003
Carnival Fantasy 9/2003
Voyager of the Seas 7/2001
Disney Magic 5/2000
Ocean Princess 4/2000
Premier 1999
Carnival Fantasy 1998
Song of America
Premier
Crown Cruise Lines
Costa Riviera

Old November 3rd, 2015, 09:49 AM
Cool Cruiser

Duplicate post

RCI Oasis 2013
Carnival Ecstasy 1993
HAL MS Amsterdam 1988?

Last edited by lastminutemama; November 3rd, 2015 at 09:58 AM.

Old November 3rd, 2015, 09:55 AM
Cool Cruiser

Shuttles are hit or miss as some don't have belts and many don't have anywhere you could tether te seat anyway....assuming yours needs tethering.

We've only ever had one angry driver and that was when I refused to use the cab as it wasn't safe for a carseat. It was actually leaving FLL that we had a driver comment tha I was refreshing to see people actually using safe travel as he said many don't restrain their kids at all from that location.

If you're going airport to hotel to port a car renal through costco can sometimes work out to the same price or cheaper for a group.

Don't let others people's opinions keep you from doing what you think is right regarding your child's safety...and enjoy your trip!!!

RCI Oasis 2013
Carnival Ecstasy 1993
HAL MS Amsterdam 1988?

Old November 3rd, 2015, 11:26 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default FLL taxis - car seats/booster chairs

A rental car is an option. I didn't realize they can be so cheap in FLL. I'll have to toss that idea by the hubby. He'd be the one driving because I have terrible navigational instincts and just don't enjoy driving in unfamiliar places.

Thank you!

Last edited by wampuscat7; November 3rd, 2015 at 11:26 PM.