Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Special Interest Cruising > Family Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Family Cruises Cruising with kids? Best Family Cruise Advice
Cruise Critic's Family Cruising Resources
Traveling with kids? Best Family Travel Advice
Family Vacation Critic's Family Travel Site

Old October 5th, 2012, 12:14 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintycake View Post
I just wanted to chime in. We were planning on NOT bringing the carseat, my daughter will be 3 years old and is 37 lbs now - 40 lbs is the minimum weight for a booster seat. She will be in a taxi from FLL to port (10 minute drive). I read the second post, but does this apply to public vehicles? In Ontario where I live the law is similar but does not apply to public vehicles (i.e. taxi, bus). We have done a few taxi rides at home without the child seat.
Orlando Taxicab Child Car Seat Law

Florida Statutes, Section 316.613 requires every operator of a motor vehicle transporting a child five (5) years of age or younger, to provide for the protection of the child by using a crash-tested, federally approved child restraint device.

Any taxicab or vehicle for hire driver in Florida can be cited for violation of FSS 316.613, if he or she is operating a ten passenger or less vehicle and transporting a child under five without providing an appropriate child restraint device.

Our Recommendation

We recommend bringing your own child car seat for the following reasons
1) There is no guarantee the next taxi in line will have a child car restraint. This might involve calling ahead to make special arrangements with the taxi company.
2) It's good to know the history of the car restraint your child will riding in.
3) Personal hygiene should be tops on your list. A dirty car seat provided by your taxi driver is not a place for your toddler.

Freedom of the Seas - June 1st. 2014 * Enchantment of the Seas - February 2014 - Fun with Grandma again!
Freedom of the Seas - January 2014 * Oasis of the Seas - December 2013
Freedom of the Seas - September 2013 - Now we are Diamond! * Enchantment of the Seas - September 2013 - Girls Cruise!
Enchantment of the Seas - August 2013 * Enchantment of the Seas - May 2013
Freedom of the Seas - January 2013 - Fun with Grandma! * Allure of the Seas - November 2012
Freedom of the Seas - September 2012 * Allure of the Seas - April 2012
Monarch of the Seas - February 2012 - Fun with Grandma! * Liberty of the Seas - December 2011
Oasis of the Seas - October 2011 * Monarch of the Seas - May 2011
Freedom of the Seas - February 2011 * Monarch of the Seas - April 2010

Old October 5th, 2012, 01:52 PM
Cool Cruiser

I have done some research and there are at least a few shuttle companies where you can rent car seats and booster seats. I think this what we may do at this point...you just need to make your reservations ahead of time.

Carnival Breeze 2/13
Emerald Princess 2/10
Mariner of the Seas 03/09
Crown Princess 12/07
Explorer of the Seas 03/07
Carnival Valor 03/05
Carnival Conquest 3/04

Old October 5th, 2012, 05:02 PM
Cool Cruiser

Can you share which shuttle companies will do this since you've done the research

I just don't want to lug her car seat (it's HUGE). If she is able to transition into a booster seat it might not be so bad. but if she's under 40 lbs then we'll have to do car seat.

Carribean Princess - Southern Carribean - January 2013
Emerald Princess - Scandinavia and Baltics - September 2009
Sapphire Princess - Mexican Riviera - February 2009
Celebrity Xpedition - Galapagos - December 2008
Grand Princess - Western Caribbean - January 2008
Coral Princess - Alaska - August 2007

Old October 5th, 2012, 05:35 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by fozziscooter View Post
So much to plan...thank you all so much for your help! I am going to have a lot more questions. We have bought our flight for the way down and are flying into FLL. We will be on JetBlue and we bought a seat for our daughter who will be 22 months when we fly. I am thinking if we bring her car seat on the plane it will be more comfortable for her, etc. If we buy two of those travel things that you just put the car sear in does anyone know if we can just check in the strollers instead of dragging them to the gate? We are going to bring 2 umbrella strollers an I have a nice bag that both will fit in...
We've never had an issue with gate checking a ton o'stuff. Ton o'stuff being defined as 2 carriers, 2 umbrellas and a Snap N' Go. We did that many times with the kids travelling as lap children and never a problem.

Unless you absolutely can't manage the strollers (or don't care about them), I would gate check. Remember that the strollers can be used to transport your carry-ons if not otherwise occupied.

We've always checked the big seats and use CARES on the plane. Given it's not as comfortable, but the big seats would be just about impossible to use on the plane. And beyond a relatively early age, they make it too easy for the kids to kick the seat in front.

I was under the impression that most airlines won't let you use a regular car seat on the plane, but JB's policy seems to say otherwise:
JetBlue allows the use of FAA-approved infant safety seats secured to standard passenger seats. Safety seats must have the appropriate manufacturer's label.

As a related quote/note: JetBlue will courtesy gate-check any of the following: strollers, car seats, wheelchairs, walkers, canes, or crutches. There is no limit to the number of assistive devices a Customer may transport as carry-on or checked baggage.

Old October 5th, 2012, 09:28 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cello56 View Post
3) Personal hygiene should be tops on your list. A dirty car seat provided by your taxi driver is not a place for your toddler.
Actually, the same applies to the adult seats as well. A dirty car seat is no fun, and drunks (who share some of the same habits as babies) have been known to ride in taxis too. Carry a blanket!

Old October 6th, 2012, 08:48 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintycake View Post
I just wanted to chime in. We were planning on NOT bringing the carseat, my daughter will be 3 years old and is 37 lbs now - 40 lbs is the minimum weight for a booster seat. She will be in a taxi from FLL to port (10 minute drive). I read the second post, but does this apply to public vehicles? In Ontario where I live the law is similar but does not apply to public vehicles (i.e. taxi, bus). We have done a few taxi rides at home without the child seat.
Actually the law in Ontario changed a few years ago, now children must be restrained at all times and there is no exclusion for grandparents and public vehicles.
The reference is here http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dan...ion2.1.8.shtml

Completed:

NCL Sun 1-1-2011 Eastern Carribean
NCL Star 1-1-2012 Western Caribbean
NCL Jewel 30-12-12 Florida and Bahamas
Disney Dream 14-3-13 Bahamas
NCL Breakaway 9-3-2014 Florida and Bahamas

Land trips to Italy, Portugal, Spain, Egypt, Colombia, Venezuela, Jamaica, Cuba, Dominican Republic, most of the eastern US and all the Canadian provinces.