Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Special Interest Cruising > Disabled Cruise Travel

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Disabled Cruise Travel Cruisers with physical limitations share their advice & experiences.
Cruise Critic Disabled Cruise Resources

Old October 5th, 2012, 09:49 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciscodog View Post
When I was speaking to the flight attendant on my flight where I only had 2/3 of my seat, she told me that as long as a person can lower the arm on the seat they don't have to purchase 2 seats. I probably could have complained before we took off but as there were no empty seats I was afraid they would have made me take a different flight as the woman sitting next to me was already in her seat. I really didn't want to do that and I would have felt bad trying to make the airlines kick off the passenger next to me.
The armrest is the diffinitive boundary on most airlines so what the flight attendent told you is correct. Most airlines go by the armrest rule . In fact Southwest Airlines actually publishes it on its' website.
Following copied directly from Southwest Airlines Website:
Customers of Size Policy

Guidelines for Customers of Size Link directly to website http://www.southwest.com/html/custom...index-pol.html

Customers who encroach upon any part of the neighboring seat(s) should proactively book the needed number of seats prior to travel. The armrest is considered to be the definitive boundary between seats and measures 17 inches in width. The purchase of additional seats serves as a notification to Southwest of a special seating need. Most importantly, it ensures that all Customers onboard have access to safe and comfortable seating. You may contact us for a refund of the cost of additional seating after travel, provided the flight does not oversell (which means having more confirmed Customers than seats on the aircraft).

Last edited by xxoocruiser; October 5th, 2012 at 09:50 AM.

Old October 6th, 2012, 05:55 AM
Cool Cruiser

Those that take up more than just their seat, know that when they book.

If you are sitting next to me then you should at least offer to pay for half of my seat that you are spilling over to.

I do not have any dislike for "fluffy" people. I just do not wish to share my paid for seat with you.
11/06 Maasdam 11 night Southern Caribbean
2/07 Maasdam 10 night Southern Caribbean
12/07 Maasdam 9 night Southern Caribbean
3/08 Westerdam 7 night Eastern Caribbean
12/08 Maasdam 14 night Southern Caribbean
12/09 Noordam 17 night Southern/Eastern Caribbean Collector's Cruise
4/10 Statendam 14 night Southern Caribbean
11/10 Maasdam 14 night Southern Caribbean
10/11 Eurodam 7 night Eastern Caribbean
12/11 Maasdam 11 night Southern
12/12 Westerdam 14 night Western/Eastern Collector's Cruise
4 RCCL Grandeur (3) and Empress (1)

Old October 6th, 2012, 10:37 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciscodog View Post
When I was speaking to the flight attendant on my flight where I only had 2/3 of my seat, she told me that as long as a person can lower the arm on the seat they don't have to purchase 2 seats. I probably could have complained before we took off but as there were no empty seats I was afraid they would have made me take a different flight as the woman sitting next to me was already in her seat. I really didn't want to do that and I would have felt bad trying to make the airlines kick off the passenger next to me.
On most airlines they would have deplaned the passenger of size, not you. It's right in the contract of carriage.
October 2011--Disney Dream Bahamas
June 2012--Windstar Wind Surf Back-To-Back, Rome to Venice to Athens
April 2014--Paul Gauguin to French Polynesia

Still to come...

2016 -- Windstar Wind Surf Southern Caribbean Back-To-Back
2021 -- SilverSea Explorer Antarctica for Milestone Birthdays!

Three weeks in Europe (two on a ship) with a 20" roll aboard and a tote bag--packing list here.

My all in a 20" wheeled bag for a warm weather cruise packing list here

Old October 7th, 2012, 11:08 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyf3 View Post
Here's a question and I'm not sure if this was mentioned before or not, but I'm a 400+ guy and was wondering if I can take my Big Mans Folding Camping Chari along and use it only on my balcony?

Here's a link to what I'm talking about,

http://www.koolestproducts.com/p-14-...amp-chair.aspx

Thanks in advance and sorry if this was asked before.
Sorry for bringing up a old question, but my cruise is next weekend and I'm still contemplating taking my chair and was wondering if anyone has done this and if so, do you recommend carrying it on or putting it with checked luggage? I thought I had read somewhere else that they don't allow this anymore? Also attached is a picture since the link is no longer good.

It would only be out on my balcony when I'm using it and would be folded up in my room when not in use.

Again, Thanks for any advice in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 14-250x250.jpg (44.0 KB, 36 views)

Old October 7th, 2012, 11:40 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Sorry for bringing up a old question, but my cruise is next weekend and I'm still contemplating taking my chair and was wondering if anyone has done this and if so, do you recommend carrying it on or putting it with checked luggage? I thought I had read somewhere else that they don't allow this anymore? Also attached is a picture since the link is no longer good.

It would only be out on my balcony when I'm using it and would be folded up in my room when not in use.

I have NOT done this, but I do have one. Very heavy & sturdy.
I say bring it and put it with the checked luggage.

Past:
Maasdam
Noordam
Enchantment

Freedom
Monarch

Old October 7th, 2012, 12:21 PM
10,000+ Club

I can't see why it wouldn't be allowed, but I'd carry it on. Aluminum is sturdy but will bend if 2000 pounds of luggage is tossed on top of it.
October 2011--Disney Dream Bahamas
June 2012--Windstar Wind Surf Back-To-Back, Rome to Venice to Athens
April 2014--Paul Gauguin to French Polynesia

Still to come...

2016 -- Windstar Wind Surf Southern Caribbean Back-To-Back
2021 -- SilverSea Explorer Antarctica for Milestone Birthdays!

Three weeks in Europe (two on a ship) with a 20" roll aboard and a tote bag--packing list here.

My all in a 20" wheeled bag for a warm weather cruise packing list here

Old October 7th, 2012, 07:14 PM
Cool Cruiser

I think I would bring it and carry it on also...IMHO

have a good one!

Old October 13th, 2012, 09:37 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:

Please let us know how this worked out! I am thinking about taking mine also

05-23-2010 Carnival Conquest
01-28-2013 Carnival Triumph

Old October 15th, 2012, 10:42 AM
Cool Cruiser

First time poster, long time follower (of this thread... ).

My husband and I are seasoned Carnival cruisers but are starting to branch out and test the waters on the other lines. We are currently booked on the Freedom of the Seas for Octoner 2013 and am wondering if anyone here has been to Labadee as one of their port of calls. We really want to do the Castaway at Malfini excursion, however it shows a weight restriction of 250lbs. I posted to the port of calls and have been trying to reach RCI via the live chat today to get more info.

We are both over the 250 restriction but just really want to know what the restriction is for. If it is for their lounge chairs, that's fine, I'll be in the water the whole time but if it is something else, I'd just like to know.

Thanks in advance and thank you to the OP for creating this thread.

Where we've been....

Our first cruise, celebrating our 10th anniversary - Carnival Dream October 2010
Birthday Celebration – Carnival Fantasy January 2011
Happy Anniversary (11 years) – Carnival Legend October 2011
Family Cruise – Carnival Glory January 2012
Happy Anniversary (12 years) – Carnival Ecstasy October 2012
Winter Getaway - Carnival Liberty January 2013
Happy Anniversary (13 years) – Carnival Fantasy October 2013
Family Cruise II - RCCL Independence of the Seas January 2014

Find us on the web @ seekingsunnyskies.wordpress.com

Where we're headed....

Old November 6th, 2012, 02:13 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:

Just wondering how this worked out??

Old November 9th, 2012, 07:31 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMCRZIN View Post
Just wondering how this worked out??
It worked out very well, I ended up putting it with my checked luggage and it arrived with my other checked luggage just fine. Kept it in my room when not in use and nothing was said. I also did the same at the end of the cruise, put it out with my other luggage and it was sitting with my other bag when I got off the ship.

Old November 9th, 2012, 08:56 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobell View Post
First time poster, long time follower (of this thread... ).

My husband and I are seasoned Carnival cruisers but are starting to branch out and test the waters on the other lines. We are currently booked on the Freedom of the Seas for Octoner 2013 and am wondering if anyone here has been to Labadee as one of their port of calls. We really want to do the Castaway at Malfini excursion, however it shows a weight restriction of 250lbs. I posted to the port of calls and have been trying to reach RCI via the live chat today to get more info.

We are both over the 250 restriction but just really want to know what the restriction is for. If it is for their lounge chairs, that's fine, I'll be in the water the whole time but if it is something else, I'd just like to know.

Thanks in advance and thank you to the OP for creating this thread.
RC's restrictions are set by the tour operator, not RC.
RC does not know why the tour operator set the restrictions.
RC does not care.
Book the tour and see if the tour operator rejects you at the tour.
BUT if the tour is something like zip lining, I would skip it for safety concerns.

Just my opinion.

Past:
Maasdam
Noordam
Enchantment

Freedom
Monarch

Old November 10th, 2012, 10:55 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
It worked out very well, I ended up putting it with my checked luggage and it arrived with my other checked luggage just fine. Kept it in my room when not in use and nothing was said. I also did the same at the end of the cruise, put it out with my other luggage and it was sitting with my other bag when I got off the ship.
Awesome!! Thanks for the response!

Old November 10th, 2012, 11:49 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Sorry for bringing up a old question, but my cruise is next weekend and I'm still contemplating taking my chair and was wondering if anyone has done this and if so, do you recommend carrying it on or putting it with checked luggage? I thought I had read somewhere else that they don't allow this anymore? !
I emailed Royal Caribbean about bringing my 800 lb Travel Chair onboard and they said it would not be a problem. They also said the deck lounge chairs on Oasis of the Seas are rated for 215 or 250 lbs. Not sure if she meant there are two kinds or she didn't get a definitive answer. That seems pretty light with the size of the American public today. I normally count on some engineering reserve capacity in seating but I don't think I would try to put my 330 lbs in either of those. My wife and I will be driving to the port so no worries about checked baggage. If I had to fly I think I would try to check it.

Old November 11th, 2012, 06:52 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpkin8 View Post
I hate the seats being tipped back on planes also! I am a large person, but even if I wasn't, I don't think airline seats should be able to recline. There is so little space as it is, that the recline position should no longer be an option on planes. It does not go back far enough to really make any difference in someone's comfort who is in the reclining seat, and really makes those behind it so uncomfortable!
I had this happen on an 11 hour flight to Amsterdam. I needed to get up to to to the bathroom and the jerk wouldn't move. I don't like to be confrontational but I also don't want to have an "accident", so I just shoved his seat up and to get up and before I could even stand, he jumped up and went whining to the flight attendants. Obviously they were on my side and made him sit back down. My friends sitting next to me moved to different seats so I would not have to deal with him, thank goodness!

Old November 12th, 2012, 12:55 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ians Grandma View Post
Just a note, if you aren't disabled please don't book an accessible cabin as they are the only cabins that those passengers in wheelchairs can use....and believe me they are hard to get!
As a person who is obese AND in a wheelchair, I will highly disagree with you on this. There are many types of disabilities that require a hca room. Let the cruiselines do their job to screen who asks for a Hca room!

Old November 12th, 2012, 12:58 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzydallasdi View Post
thereby possibly preventing someone with a real disability from using the hc cabin. Seriously....only book a cruise that has a cabin with a toilet you're capable of using. Don't book a hc cabin just because you can't find another one you can fit into. Find another cruise. Seriously!
wrong on so many levels!!!

Old November 12th, 2012, 12:59 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlened236 View Post
As someone that must have an accessible cabin to cruise ( I am an amputee) Miss Rabbit has as much right to one as I do...anyone that really 'needs' an accessible cabin for whatever reason should have one if the itinerary, ship and cost meets their needs. They will have to book as early as I do for the cruse because there are so few cabins that meet our needs. I often find that the cruise I want has no accessilbe cabins even one year in advance.
Who are we to judge.
Exactly!

Old November 12th, 2012, 03:20 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillianrose View Post
I didn't realize you had bought the seat and brought it aboard with you.
That is so childish!

Old November 12th, 2012, 03:38 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigalTchelet View Post
As a person who is obese AND in a wheelchair, I will highly disagree with you on this. There are many types of disabilities that require a hca room. Let the cruiselines do their job to screen who asks for a Hca room!
Siggy, I stated that if you are NOT disabled please do not try to book an accessible cabin...aren't we in agreement there? As a disabled person I have no doubt that you have run into many handicap cheaters yourself. In the past the cruise lines have not done a very good job screening passengers, however, things have changed recently and they are monitoring those cabins more closely now, which helps disabled passengers of all sizes.