Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Africa & Middle East

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old September 13th, 2012, 09:39 AM
Cool Cruiser

Different strokes ... we had dinner at Mena House before the Ramses van picked us up for the drive to the Sphinx. Enjoyed both, but in retrospect the kitschy sound and light show stands out as unique and memorable. Mena House Oberoi is a truly grand hotel, but it is finally just another hotel.

Old September 13th, 2012, 10:14 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewrit View Post
Different strokes ... we had dinner at Mena House before the Ramses van picked us up for the drive to the Sphinx. Enjoyed both, but in retrospect the kitschy sound and light show stands out as unique and memorable. Mena House Oberoi is a truly grand hotel, but it is finally just another hotel.
... as you say, Mikewrit, different strokes ...

I respectfully disagree about the Mena House. It is a former palace of the Khedive Ismail and is one of only 8 famed Oberoi hotels; renowned for their beauty and high level of service.

I found it unique in every aspect and it boasts (and lives up to) the high level of service of Oberoi hotels. It is situated on 40 acres of gardens unlike any you will find in Cairo or Giza, filled with ornate reflecting pools, flowering hibiscus trees and alabaster fountains. Even though we were in Egypt to see its treasures of antiquity, we consider our stay at Mena House to be a highlight.

There's no doubt that I would not exchange my only visit to the Pyramids for a stay at Mena House but if you can do both, it is my fervent opinion that it is well worth it.

Last edited by havcamwiltravel; September 13th, 2012 at 10:16 AM. Reason: spelling correction

Old September 13th, 2012, 01:50 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTEACH281 View Post
Not sure how they will do it on a 4 night tour...but on our one day Cairo visit, we visited the museum...did the felucca ride on the Nile, right near the museum, then ate lunch in van on way to pyramids....we really enjoyed the boat ride..nice large, well shaded craft...no motor...just a boatman who looked like he walked out of the old testament!! It broke up the day, gave us a breezy, shady ride and was something different
How long is the felucca ride they are including?

Last edited by Jade13; September 13th, 2012 at 01:51 PM.

Old September 13th, 2012, 03:42 PM
Cool Cruiser

We used Ramses last November for an overnight excursion to Cairo from the Alexandria port. We highly recommend both Ramses and the Mena House. Our guide was excellent and the Mena House was excellent, although I did not care for their breakfast buffet. Pesonally, the pyramid view was not worth the upcharge, but I do not regret our choice to book it. We did the Nile diner cruise, which was OK , but the low point of a wonderful trip. We never felt unsafe during our entire trip.

Old September 14th, 2012, 12:37 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade13 View Post
Depends on a whole lot of factors including traffic. We had two terrific hours including lunch. Heard from others that they barely got out of the marina.

Old September 21st, 2012, 12:18 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewrit View Post
Depends on a whole lot of factors including traffic. We had two terrific hours including lunch. Heard from others that they barely got out of the marina.
We would not have that much time. We thought it was maybe 30 minutes.

Old September 21st, 2012, 12:19 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by wookie68 View Post
We used Ramses last November for an overnight excursion to Cairo from the Alexandria port. We highly recommend both Ramses and the Mena House. Our guide was excellent and the Mena House was excellent, although I did not care for their breakfast buffet. Pesonally, the pyramid view was not worth the upcharge, but I do not regret our choice to book it. We did the Nile diner cruise, which was OK , but the low point of a wonderful trip. We never felt unsafe during our entire trip.
Do the pyramid view rooms have private balconies?

Last edited by Jade13; September 21st, 2012 at 12:19 AM.

Old September 21st, 2012, 10:14 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkc123 View Post
We are planning a tour in Egypt and have contacted Ramses based on recommendations in Trip Advisor. Has anyone taken the Felucca boat ride and is it worth doing or is your time better spent at the Pyramids?
We had two wonderful days in Egypt August 10th and 11th, 2012 (Port Said and Alexandria). Ramses Tours kept its promise that all things are possible and made my dream trip come true.

We enjoyed the Felucca boat ride very very much especially my 10 year old grandson, the operator let him stir the boat for about 5 minute. We all took turns having our pictures taken standing need the main sail mast. The boat ride cost $15.00 USD each.

The Tour Guide, Karin Serry was professional, polite and very knowledgeable. The itinerary was what I requested, completed in a timely manner and Karin added a walking tour. It was a 3 day tour completed in two days!!

We took the Pyramids Sakkara Memphis and the Half Day Alexandria Tours, they were Great!!! We also took the camel ride for $15.00 USD each, it was worth it.

Mohamed was an excellent, friendly and safe Driver.

I would recommend Ramses Tours to anyone who is going to visit Egypt.

Last edited by goldenmck42; September 21st, 2012 at 10:17 PM. Reason: To delete Th

Old September 24th, 2012, 03:24 AM
Cool Cruiser

Our room did have a private balconey. It was in one of the newer wings. We could easily see the pyramids, but the view was not direct.

Old October 6th, 2012, 11:25 AM
Cool Cruiser

The journey took around 30 minutes minutes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade13 View Post

Old October 16th, 2012, 05:56 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Review of Ramses Tours

We just returned from Egypt and used the private services of Ramses Tours for a 2-day overland trip from our cruise docked in Alexandria. The guide, Hany was excellent. Always punctual, very attentive and knowledgeable. Ramses Tours responds to all inquiries promptly, and they don't require payment until youa re satisfied at the end of the tour. I cannot recommend them highly enough.

Old October 17th, 2012, 01:45 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by anglina212 View Post
Has anyone received a confirmation number for hotel booking?
I have the exact same question.

Old October 18th, 2012, 02:50 PM
5,000+ Club

I booked Mena House through Ramses Tours for our tour. I didn't receive a confirmation number for the hotel. Our guide came inside with us and we sat at the bar and were given a "welcome drink" while our guide took care of the check in process.

We had a great tour. Our guide, Hamdi, was waiting at the dock as promised. We didn't dock until around 10 in Alexandria so we got a late start. The first day we went to the citadel, alabaster mosque, and Egyptian museum then had a felucca ride before going to the dinner cruise on the Nile. The second day we saw the Giza pyramids and went inside the smallest one, rode a camel, went to Memphis then Saqqara before going back to the ship.

It was a long couple of days, but Ramses Tours really came through on all their promises. We had a wonderful time and greatly enjoyed Egypt.

COMPLETED
Silversea Silver Explorer - Feb '14 - 10 nt. Antarctica (Ushuaia to the Antarctic Peninsula)
=X= Xpedition - Apr, '13 - 13 nt. Galapagos "B"/Machu Picchu (Quito, Baltra, Santiago, Rabida, Bartolome, N. Seymour, Santa Cruz, San Cristobal, Cusco, Sacred Valley, Lima)
=X= Silhouette - Sep '12 - 12 nt. Holy Land (Rome, Santorini, Nazareth, Jerusalem, Alexandria/Cairo, Naples)
RC Adventure - Feb '12 - 7 nt. S. Caribbean (San Juan, St. Croix, St. Maarten, Antigua, St. Lucia, Barbados)
RC Liberty - Dec '11 - 4 nt. Bahamas (Fort Lauderdale, Coco Cay, Nassau)
HAL Zuiderdam - Apr '11 - 10 nt. Partial Panama Canal (Fort Lauderdale, Half Moon Cay, Aruba, Curacao, Panama Canal, Costa Rica)
RC Serenade - Jan '10 - 7 nt. S. Caribbean (San Juan, Tortola, St. Maarten, Antigua, St. Lucia, Grenada)
HAL Maasdam - Apr '09 - 14 nt. Caribbean (Ft. Lauderdale, San Juan, St. Thomas, St. Kitts, Dominica, Barbados, St. Lucia, Antigua, St. Maarten, Tortola, Half Moon Cay)
RC Legend - May '08 - 13 nt. Italy/Croatia (Rome, Portofino, Florence/Pisa, Messina, Split, Venice, Dubrovnik, Naples)
RC Sovereign - Jan '08 - 3 nt. Bahamas (Port Canaveral, Nassau, Coco Cay cancelled)
=X= Xpedition - Sept '07 - 10 nt. Galapagos (Baltra, N. Seymour, San Cristobal, Espanola, Santa Cruz, Bartolome, Floreana, Isabela, Fernandina, & Quito, Ecuador)
RC Rhapsody - Jan '07 - 7 nt. W. Caribbean (Galveston, Key West, Grand Cayman, Cozumel)
RC Radiance - Sept '06 - 7 nt. NB Alaska (Vancouver, Juneau, Skagway, Sitka, Icy Strait, Seward)
RC Brilliance - Oct '05 - 12 nt. Med Greek Isles (Barcelona, Nice, Florence/Pisa, Naples, Mykonos, Athens, Ephasus, Santorini, Rome)
RC Majesty - Jan '05 - 3 nt. Bahamas (Miami, Coco Cay, Nassau)
RC Rhapsody - Oct '04 - 7 nt. W. Caribbean
RC Monarch - Jun '00 - 7 nt. S. Caribbean

Old November 8th, 2012, 01:30 AM
Cool Cruiser

We have just returned from our Eastern Med. cruise, during which we had a one day stop in Alexandria. The cruise ship tours were going to Giza but not into Cairo. We had arranged a day with Ramses, to the pyramids and the Cairo Museum, with a felucca trip on the Nile. Ramses were easy to deal with for arranging the trip and we were met on arrival, as promised. The drive to Cairo was comfortable and passed quickly as our guide chatted to us about life in Egypt. We have been to many poor and dirty countries, but were still very surprised at how dirty Egypt is, especially with the large amount of litter lying thickly everywhere. Driving out of the dock gate gave quite a contrast between the clean dock with it's beautiful cruise terminal and the streets beyond the gates, covered in litter, with huge pot holes in the road.
We stopped at a petrol station on the way to Cairo, allowing us to use the toilet. Having small change is helpful here but you could always buy a drink or something of the sort there, to get some change. Our guide gave us an Egyptian pound each, as we only had larger banknotes. It may be worth carrying some extra toilet paper too, as it is rationed. The toilets were clean.
The cruise ship company informed us of a WHO concern over contaminated bottled water in Egypt, using this as an excuse to sell lots of overpriced bottles of water to anxious passengers. They did not tell us however, that only certain brands were affected; our guide assured us that well known brands such as Nestle and Aquafina had no problems.
The Cairo Museum was interesting and we did not find it to be too hot. There were lots of European tourists, but I am sure that we benefited from it being a lot quieter than usual. The only negative part of the trip was that our guide, who was very pleasant, knowledgable and helpful, did not have great English, so I found it quite difficult to follow what he was saying, partly due to the background noise in the museum. My wife translated some of the commentary for me, but I eventually gave up listening and just read the notices.
I found it interesting to see the burned out National Party headquarters next door! A quiet sail on the Nile followed, which was scenic and a pleasant contrast to busy Cairo. It was interesting to see Cairo and we felt quite safe.
We stopped for a Doner Kebab, take away lunch, which we ate in the van (cheap and quick) before going to see the pyramids. We would have enjoyed a little longer to spend there. People were friendly and the hawkers were not nearly as bad as I expected, being less persistent and aggressive than I have seen elsewhere. The locals wanted to take our pictures, standing with their families, which was touching but we had to call a halt due to the time.
We did not want to go to the market or go shopping, so we got back to the ship early (over two hours before the ship's tours). We felt that we had had a good day and had done and seen quite a lot, without it being exhausting. It was also very good value for money. It was far cheaper and I am sure,far better an experience than was had by the masses on the ship's tours. We are certainly glad that we went into Cairo.
If you get the chance, I would say 'go for it'.

Old November 26th, 2012, 11:43 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Ramses Tours review

The tour was absolutely excellent. Dalia was a delight and so knowledgeable. If I hear of anyone going to Egypt, I'll be recommending them. No regrets or complaints at all.

Old December 6th, 2012, 10:18 AM
Cool Cruiser

I'm glad to see so many positive reviews. I booked two trips with them. A luxor day trip and a Cairo day trip for April. So far they've gotten back to me promptly and answered all my questions. I hope the tours go well too.
"You must be," said the Cat, or you wouldn’t have come here.”

Old December 23rd, 2012, 03:06 PM
Cool Cruiser

We booked with Ramses tours on the recommendation from people on the Cruise Critics website. We secured a 2 day tour with them, the first 12 hours into Cairo and the second a half-day city tour of Alexandria. We had Mohammad and Mohammad for driver and guide. I can't say enough nice things about these young men. While the driver concentrated moving through the horrendous traffic with ease, the guide filled us in on the economy, relationships, life in Egypt and briefed us prior to stopping at each site. Ramses Tours - these two men are golden - they made our trip to your country a most memorable one - the trip of a lifetime.

Click on box (above) to see our cruise history.
Spending Our Children's Inheritance One Cruise at a Time!
Future Cruises
T/A 11/9/14

Alaska 3/15/15

Bahamas 8/3/15

Caribbean 2/26/16

Old December 26th, 2012, 10:40 AM
Cool Cruiser

After a WONDERFUL experience on a two day Ramses trip to Cairo in 2010, I booked a half day trip with them for Alexandria this past October. Again, I was not disappointed. Mohammed was our guide and he was terrific. Young, enthusiastic and VERY knowledgeable, Mohammed not only showed us the sites, he gave us his personal insight into life in Egypt. We thoroughly enjoyed asking him questions and learning about his country.

Ramses, you scored highly again!

Old January 15th, 2013, 04:02 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser5454 View Post
I am really torn about which hotel to choose. I am leaning toward the Oberoi Mena House next to the Giza Pyramids but am not sure
what do you think?
Any reason not to book there? It's a stunning property, quite historic. We stayed there during an overnight tour with Ramses three year ago, and my only regret is that we did not have enough time there! We were in the new wing, and it was wonderfully luxurious.

Old January 28th, 2013, 01:10 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quick question for you guys...I've been getting quotes for excursions almost double what the cruise ship is charging for the same excursion. Has this happened to anyone? I asked to join a small group but they said there were none on anything from my cruise leaving this week which seems weird. Any thoughts??