Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Alaska

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old October 9th, 2012, 01:26 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAHA View Post
We have opted to DIY before a cruise leaving out of Seward. We feel we can see more of what we want in that time. We plan to arrive in Anchorage, rent a car and spend the night there. We will then drive to a hotel near Denali and stay either 3 or 4 nights to see Denali. We do plan to do the long bus trip into Denali one day and will plan what else to see. We will then drive to Seward and spend 2 nights pre-cruise there. In Seward, we plan to do a day cruise into the Kenai Fjords. Depending on time, we might also see the Sealife Center in Seward. We found that Hertz will rent cars in Anchorage that you can return in Seward. I am not sure it will save much money, but we can do things on our own and see the scenery and wildlife on our own time.
Mary Anne
Sounds like a wonderful trip! I'm sure you'll enjoy every moment.
The Denali Chamber has a list of lodging choices if you need some ideas: http://www.alaskaone.com/_dcc/accommodations/
A couple of hints about a rental car .... rates change frequently and since Hertz is the only vendor in Seward, grab the best price you can find now, then check back weekly for a price drop. Even up to the day before you leave, keep checking.
If you find the drop off fee is too high (often $250) keep in mind that you don't NEED a car in Seward, so price a RT car rental for 5 days, and the train to Seward. May work out cheaper. Plus I've read that train segment is supposed to be the most scenic. Seward has provided a shuttle bus around town for the last few yrs, and a taxi in town is $5-$7. If you want to visit Exit Glacier there's a shuttle for $10pp. And there's a waterfront trail that leads from the harbor to downtown (SeaLife Center) which is about 1 1/2 miles. During the walk you can watch otters playing off shore, bald eagles, lots of fishing boats, and wonderful views across the bay to the mountains and glaciers. Hope this helps. Have a great trip !

Old October 10th, 2012, 12:28 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmlynek View Post
Same here. Actually, I do not think that I would do a cruisetour even if it were free, or included in the price of the cruise. Cruisetours or shore excursions through the cruise line are not for me or my family.
If you ever see one for FREE, PLEASE send the info my way (eleanor.acinelli @ngc.com). I would love to be able to take another one to Alaska. Our first trip we did just the 7 night cruise Southbound. Our 2nd trip we did an 11 day cruisetour Northbound. The cruisetour was absolutely awesome.

When you know you only have 10 or 11 days to complete the trip, you are still going to be on the move from 7:00 am to 6:00 pm if you want to cover the 1800 miles we covered. Can't beat having a bus driver and tour guide for when things go awry (which they usually do at some point on the journey). There is no time to dawdle for long at any stop.

I would not have wanted to be on the stretch of highway from Eagle Alaska to Tok Alaska in a vehicle by myself. Even the coaches traveled two together. it is very remote and we counted 17 vehicles (I think) during the whole day. Breaking down on that kind of road wouldn't be my idea of a fun vacation at all.

But thankfully there are lots of choices, that we can all choose and travel the way it suits us best.

Old October 11th, 2012, 01:18 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by agabbymama View Post
If you ever see one for FREE, PLEASE send the info my way (eleanor.acinelli @ngc.com). I would love to be able to take another one to Alaska. Our first trip we did just the 7 night cruise Southbound. Our 2nd trip we did an 11 day cruisetour Northbound. The cruisetour was absolutely awesome.

When you know you only have 10 or 11 days to complete the trip, you are still going to be on the move from 7:00 am to 6:00 pm if you want to cover the 1800 miles we covered. Can't beat having a bus driver and tour guide for when things go awry (which they usually do at some point on the journey). There is no time to dawdle for long at any stop.

I would not have wanted to be on the stretch of highway from Eagle Alaska to Tok Alaska in a vehicle by myself. Even the coaches traveled two together. it is very remote and we counted 17 vehicles (I think) during the whole day. Breaking down on that kind of road wouldn't be my idea of a fun vacation at all.

But thankfully there are lots of choices, that we can all choose and travel the way it suits us best.
I always enjoy reading your input about cruise tours. It gives a nice balance to the discussions. Cruise tours are not for everyone, but neither are DIY tours for everyone. I know plenty of people who would NEVER have taken the DIY vacations I have planned and enjoyed over the years. (Friends/family tell me this all the time) What some people can't seem to get is that not everyone enjoys driving themselves. We all prefer a different style of travel. These forums can help people look at different points of views and then decide what form of travel fits them best. It is just important that we all recognize there is not only one way to travel and have a great vacation. Yes, no matter what we do, DIY or a planned tour, doing our homework is important. In both cases you can have a great or lousy experience if you don't plan well.

HAL Volendam Alaska June 15, 2008
NCL POA Hawaii May 22, 2010
HAL Amsterdam Alaska August 5, 2011