Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Special Interest Cruising > Honeymoon & Wedding Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Honeymoon & Wedding Cruises Ready to say "I do?" Plan a honeymoon cruise here.

Old September 27th, 2012, 12:26 PM
Cool Cruiser

Exclamation HELP!!!!Saint Maarten WEDDINGS

Getting Marry on Valentine day 2013. I will like to get married on the island of Saint Maarten (Phillipsburg), Netherlands Antilles. I do NOT want to get married on the ship. I will like to do a beach wedding. Does anyone, have experience with an outside wedding coordinator? I am open to all advice on this issue.

Old September 27th, 2012, 01:07 PM
Cool Cruiser

Don't forget to have a firm Plan B in place, on the chance the ship misses that port.

Caribbean Princess - January 2012
Carnival Pride - Bahamas, October 2009
Carnival Sensation - E. Caribbean, December 1993

Old September 28th, 2012, 12:39 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by oahuislandgirl View Post
Getting Marry on Valentine day 2013. I will like to get married on the island of Saint Maarten (Phillipsburg), Netherlands Antilles. I do NOT want to get married on the ship. I will like to do a beach wedding. Does anyone, have experience with an outside wedding coordinator? I am open to all advice on this issue.
Well, first, I am wondering why you aren't considering using the cruiseline to plan your wedding ashore. Is it cost? Or did the cruiseline indicate they won't help with an onshore ceremony/reception? Or are they just being difficult to work with ?

One benefit of using the cruiseline planner is that it would also protect you a bit in the event the ship misses the port from some reason. The cruise wedding team would be able to make arrangments for your wedding at a different port. With a land-based planner, you might be out of luck (and money) if you miss the port for some reason.

RCL Adventure of the Seas 1/18/2015 (Team Cocktail) - Southern Caribbean
Celebrity Summit 1/11/2014 (Team Cocktail) - Southern Caribbean
RCL Brilliance of the Seas 1/19/2013 (Team Cocktail) - Southern Caribbean
Carnival Victory 1/15/2012 (Team Cocktail) - Southern Caribbean
RCL Majesty of the Seas 4/22/2011 - Bahamas

MS Queen of Hansa 1/24/2011 - Nile Cruise
Norwegian Star 7/10/2010 - Alaska
Disney Wonder 2/18/2010 - Bahamas (cancelled )
Norwegain Jewel - Western Caribbean 1/17/2010
RCL Serenade of the Seas 1/17/2009 (Team Cocktail) - Southern Caribbean
Carnival Miracle 5/9/2008 (C&V's Wedding) - Eastern Caribbean
RCL Mariner of the Seas 9/23/2007 (IRA Memorial Cruise) - Western Caribbean
RCL Mariner of the Seas 9/4/2005 - Eastern Caribbean
RCL Jewel of the Seas 2/6/2005 (Our Wedding!) - Western Caribbean
Norwegian Dream 3/14/2004 - Repositioning
Carnival Mardi Gras 6/1986 - Bahamas

Old September 28th, 2012, 01:25 PM
10,000+ Club

I would not worry a lot about missing this particular port. And, if you miss the port, it's possible there would be no other port in which you could get married, due to licensing or residency requirements.

OP - you can try just googling if you don't get any responses, or go to the St. Martin forum on Tripadvisor.com and ask.

Old September 28th, 2012, 08:05 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcdiva View Post
Well, first, I am wondering why you aren't considering using the cruiseline to plan your wedding ashore. Is it cost? Or did the cruiseline indicate they won't help with an onshore ceremony/reception? Or are they just being difficult to work with ?

One benefit of using the cruiseline planner is that it would also protect you a bit in the event the ship misses the port from some reason. The cruise wedding team would be able to make arrangments for your wedding at a different port. With a land-based planner, you might be out of luck (and money) if you miss the port for some reason.
On August 20, 2012, my husband and I elope, because we knew we would save at least 800.00, if we did not have to buy the marriage lencese and we renewed our vowes. Therefore, people do not know we are married. We plan on sending out announcement when we return from the cruise.

If the cruiseline assists or performs the renewing of the marriage vow the cost is $3,495.00 plus I would have to pay additional for pictures. When I started researching local venders I found that I would save at least $1000.00 + and the packages included the pictures. I just can't see myself sending ($3,495.00) so much on a wedding for 2. However, I want to go through a vender that others have used and have had postive experience in there dealing with the vender .

Old September 28th, 2012, 08:44 PM
10,000+ Club

So, you aren't getting married, you just want a vow renewal?

Old September 29th, 2012, 01:56 AM
Cool Cruiser

Yes

Old October 8th, 2012, 09:24 PM
Cool Cruiser

I'm not sure about requirements for vow renewal in St Maarten, but I do know it is pretty complicated to get married there. For starters, foreigners need to request permission to marry from the Lt. Governor. It may take up to two months to get a reply. If permission is granted, you need to be on the island two days prior to the ceremony. There is a comprehensive list of documents you will need to file ahead of time, and all documents must be translated into Dutch, which will take time and cost money. Hate to burst your bubble, but if you really want to get married on St Maarten, you need to go there and stay a while, not arrive on a ship the day of your planned marriage.

Old October 9th, 2012, 01:43 PM
Cool Cruiser

A simple vow renewal does not require any official approval. Please read OP's posts; she is already married.

Last edited by grandma*knows*best; October 9th, 2012 at 01:44 PM.