Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Special Interest Cruising > Family Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Family Cruises Cruising with kids? Best Family Cruise Advice
Cruise Critic's Family Cruising Resources
Traveling with kids? Best Family Travel Advice
Family Vacation Critic's Family Travel Site

Old October 10th, 2012, 11:59 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default GaGa Ball: What is it really?

I've read a lot about this game that the kids seem to love called GaGa Ball. The best description that I have read is that it's sort-of like dodge ball, but different. One person stated that her daughter hated dodge ball, but loved GaGa ball. Another had her son fall and split his head open. his only concern while he was being stitched up was that he was missing GaGa ball. It must be quite a game!

If anyone can give a better description it would really be appreciated.

Old October 10th, 2012, 01:59 PM
Cool Cruiser

interesting never heard of it?

Jubilee- 1980's (as a child)
Ecstasy-1980's (as a child)
Holiday-1980's (as a child)
Celebration-1990's (as a teen)
Noweigien Norway-7/28/02 (honeymoon cruise)
Inspiration- 4/6/03
Imagination-7/17/03
Carnival Legend-5/7/04
Carnival Glory-4/16/05
Grandeur of the Seas-4/29/06 (baby's 1st cruise)
Inspiration-10/14/06 ( baby's 2nd cruise)
Carnival Victory-5/13/07 (baby's 3rd cruise)
Inspiration-10/13/07 (my b-day)( baby won past guest award!!!!!!!!)
Carnival Liberty-12/30/07 (New Years Cruise/dd's 5th cruise)
Carnival Inspiration- 8/30/08
Carnival Glory 8/29/09 (DD's 7th and DS 1st cruise DH finally platinum!)
Carnival Miracle 12/30/09 (New Years Again Baby!! DD 8th and DS 2nd cruise)
Disney Wonder 5/2/10 (WooHoo First Disney Cruise!!)
Inspiration 10/9/10 (Birthday cruise for myself and DD )
Carnival Miracle 12/29/10 (3rd New Years cruise) DD's 11th and DS 5th cruise)
Carnival Inspiration 3/26/11 (DD will be platinum at age 6 )
Carnival Legend 11/6/11 (dd's 13th and Ds's 7th cruise)
Norwegian Epic 3/24/12 (My favorite cruise yet)
Carnival Dream 7/21/12 (10th Anniversary Cruise & 1st cruise without the kids)
Carnival Dream again 11/17/12 (MIL 80th bday)
Norwegian Dawn 3/24/13
Norwegian Epic 11/9/13 (round 2)

Old October 10th, 2012, 03:09 PM
Cool Cruiser

Not trying to be mean but what does this have to do with cruising ?
2009 - RCI Enchantment of the Seas - Western Caribbean

Old October 10th, 2012, 03:10 PM
50,000+ Club

Which cruiseline is it played on? If you know, you might want to post on that specific board.

Last edited by cb at sea; October 10th, 2012 at 03:11 PM.

Old October 10th, 2012, 04:12 PM
Cool Cruiser

Don't know what this has to do with cruising, but I just Googled it and found an article on Wikipedia. Took about 3 seconds... less time than posting here. Apparently it's an Israeli form of dodgeball.
Golden Princess - Alaska - August 14, 2010 - 1st Anniversary!
Golden Princess - Alaska - August 6, 2011 - With the family this time!
Golden Princess - Alaska - July 21, 2012 - 3rd Anniversary!
Star Princess - Alaska - July 20, 2013 - With Mom and Aunt!
Grand Princess - Alaska - July 20, 2014 - With 4 teens/young adults!

Ad Sponsored By
Old October 10th, 2012, 04:17 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherryf View Post
Don't know what this has to do with cruising, but I just Googled it and found an article on Wikipedia. Took about 3 seconds... less time than posting here. Apparently it's an Israeli form of dodgeball.
Don't you understand some people are simply too lazy to use google

Old October 10th, 2012, 05:12 PM
5,000+ Club

Gotta love cruise critic. Gagaball is a very popular game, played by kids in the kids programs so yes, it is a cruise related topic. It is simliar to dodge ball but in gaga ball, you can not hold the ball, you have to hit it back at a person. A person is out if they are hit with the ball. It is less "violent" than dodge ball and is good for the younger set where the teens and adults like dodge ball better.

Old October 10th, 2012, 05:35 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by reallyitsmema View Post
Gotta love cruise critic. Gagaball is a very popular game, played by kids in the kids programs so yes, it is a cruise related topic. It is simliar to dodge ball but in gaga ball, you can not hold the ball, you have to hit it back at a person. A person is out if they are hit with the ball. It is less "violent" than dodge ball and is good for the younger set where the teens and adults like dodge ball better.
You can chew gum on a cruise ship too but if I don't think this forum is the place to randomly ask if you like bubble gum

Old October 10th, 2012, 05:37 PM
Cool Cruiser

I had never heard of this until I came to Cruise Critic, and read of it being played on ships, thus I aparantly mistakenly assumed that it was played on ships and had something to do with cruising.
A quick look at the search function on Cruise Critic lists many pages of references to this being played in kids clubs on many different ships! That's why I asked the question in the family section.

Last edited by OneStrangeGuy; October 10th, 2012 at 05:39 PM.

Old October 10th, 2012, 05:44 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneStrangeGuy View Post
I had never heard of this until I came to Cruise Critic, and read of it being played on ships, thus I aparantly mistakenly assumed that it was played on ships and had something to do with cruising.
A quick look at the search function on Cruise Critic lists many pages of references to this being played in kids clubs on many different ships! That's why I asked the question in the family section.
Your question was completely appropriate for this forum. If you look at the link in crusinmama06's signature to her collection of kids pages, you can see that gaga ball is played on many, if not all the cruiselines.

There are some videos out on youtube that will show you how they play it.

Edit to add link:

http://s204.photobucket.com/albums/bb196/cruisinmama06/

Last edited by reallyitsmema; October 10th, 2012 at 05:47 PM.

Old October 10th, 2012, 06:15 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hstergo View Post
You can chew gum on a cruise ship too but if I don't think this forum is the place to randomly ask if you like bubble gum
My DD has three Adventure Ocean medallions from having won the GaGa ball championship on three of her cruises (she retired undefeated and chose not to compete in the championships on subsequent RCCI cruises, wanting to give the other kids "a chance" to win) . The only times she has ever played GaGa ball has been on-board and the only time I have every heard of GaGa ball has been in reference to a RCCI cruise.

It is an important tradition of the AO program. It is right up there with pirate night and aliens.

Old October 10th, 2012, 07:19 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hstergo View Post
You don't have to be rude. If you don't know that kids play it on a cruise then simply don't answer the question. I had never heard of it. It was a perfectly valid question that didn't deserve your responses. I thought it was interesting to learn about.
Ocean Princess - Western Mediterranean - 10/10 -- Ruby Princess - Eastern Caribbean - 3/10 -- Island Princess - Coastal 5/09 -- Sapphire Princess - New Zealand/Australia 3/08 -- Sapphire Princess - Coastal 5/07 -- Tahitian Princess - Tahiti/Hawaii 7/06 -- Island Princess - Coastal/Alaska 5/06 -- Golden Princess - Southern Caribbean 9/04 -- Sun Princess - Coastal - 4/04 -- Sun Princess - Panama Canal - 4/01 -- Carnival - Caribbean - 11/00 -- Royal Caribbean - Caribbean 7/99 -- Grand Princess - Caribbean - 11/98 -- Pacific Princess - Mediterranean - 11/97 -- Sun Princess - Western Caribbean - 12/95 -- Regal Princess - Western Caribbean - 11/94 -- Dawn Princess - Mexico 5/93 -- Dawn Princess - Mexico 4/93 -- Fair Princess - Mexico - 12/92 -- Regal Princess - Alaska - 5/92 -- Regal Princess - Eastern Caribbean - 8/91 -- Fairsky - Western Caribbean - 4/87 -- Fairwind - Eastern Caribbean - 4/84

Old October 18th, 2012, 11:22 PM
Cool Cruiser

Gaga ball is a staple of kids programs on the cruises we have been on, and is extremely popular. Based on these facts, it seems perfectly appropriate to discuss on a cruise forum dealing with families and children.

My son, who has been playing it now for 7 years on cruises indicates it is indeed like dodge ball, but with two key differences. First, players bat the ball instead of throwing it, and two, the ball remains on the ground at all time. If it hits you, you are out. Simple game, but incredibly enjoyable according to my kids.

1962 PT 73 - South Pacific and Italy

Old October 19th, 2012, 08:42 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
Gaga ball is a staple of kids programs on the cruises we have been on, and is extremely popular. Based on these facts, it seems perfectly appropriate to discuss on a cruise forum dealing with families and children.

My son, who has been playing it now for 7 years on cruises indicates it is indeed like dodge ball, but with two key differences. First, players bat the ball instead of throwing it, and two, the ball remains on the ground at all time. If it hits you, you are out. Simple game, but incredibly enjoyable according to my kids.
Yes, I think this is a pretty good description. And my daughter is the one who is the one who described above as being terrified in school when they play dodgeball (and summer camp) but races off to RCI Adventure Ocean to play Gaga Ball. And that is the cruise line she has always played it on - Royal Caribbean. I don't remember it on our other cruises.

Every RCI cruise the kids tell me that they MUST be there for Gaga ball.

And after our August cruise we had to add "Crazy Tag" to that as well. Don't ask me to explain those rules - I wasn't there. But when the kids are home from school - I can ask. It's for the teen club.

The games must be fun. After my youngest got hurt during a game of "steal the bacon" (a little boy accidentally head butted her and it resulted in a SEVERELY BRUISED eye and cheek bone - we had to have X-rays onboard because we were sure her eye socket was broken) Her response to me when I told her she had to sit out the next day from those games "noooooo, I have another eye!"

RCI Allure of the Seas 5/4/14
Norwegian Getaway PreInaugural 1/27/14
NCL Breakaway PreInaugural 5/8/13
NCL EPIC 11/24/12 - Ewes Baby!
RCI Enchantment 8/3/12 - Addicted to BERMUDA!
NCL Gem 10/2/11 - Back to Bermuda!
RCI Enchantment of the Seas 5/28/11 - Bermuda
RCI Grandeur of the Seas 9/11/10
Carnival Triumph 6/7/09
RCI Independence of the Seas 2/1/09
Disney Wonder 09/11/08
Carnival Sensation 08/07
RCI Freedom of the Seas 5/07
Carnival Elation 11/06
Disney Magic 2/05
NCL Norway 6/02
RCI Sovereign of the Seas 9/98
RCI Sovereign of the Seas 9/97
Kids club schedules and children's menus including RCCL Adventure Ocean, Camp Carnival,
Disney, NCL, Princess, HAL and Celebrity posted here....
http://photobucket.com/cruisekidpages

Old October 22nd, 2012, 12:09 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

My daughter played it this past weekend at Y-Guides and LOVED IT! I MEAN LOVED IT!
https://picasaweb.google.com/111475861739475174060. RCL Liberty of the Seas April 2011 Transatlantic, CCL Inspiration 3 and 4 night Baja 2012, Queen Mary Long Beach 2012. Daily Papers, Kids Clubs, Spa, Room Service, Promos, Sales, and Arrival/Departure info.

Commador 7 nights, 1984
Sunquest/Thompson Dream Cruise 7 nights, 1997
Windjammer Barefoot Poly 7 nights, 1998
DIS Wonder 4 night 2009
RCL Transatlantic Liberty of the Seas 2011 (14 n)http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1420775
CCL Mexican Baja 4 night 2012 - Inspiration http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1550583
CCL Mexican Baja 3 night 2012 - Inspiration http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1692101
RCL B2B Monarch and Brilliance 2013 -11 nights http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1772543
CCL Mexican Winter 7 Baja 2014 - Miracle
CCL Mexican Spring 7 Baja 2014 - Miracle
RCL - B2B 25 night Legend of the Seas. 10 night Caribbean followed by 15 night Panama Canal FLL to SAN.

96 nights at sea and counting..

Old October 23rd, 2012, 12:15 AM
10,000+ Club

Not too sure how it's played onboard but we played it in camp (Camp Hilltop in Malibu, mid 70's). Octagonal court with 3foot high walls. Maybe 8-10 feet across total. Had to bounce it off the wall to hit someone. No teams and about 30 of us in the court at a time. I remember it being a brutal game, especially the way the very competitive played it. Way worse than dodgeball. IIRC there was at least one broken limb that year.

Our court was dangerous just entering or exiting, wooden walls that were never sanded/painted since it was first put up many years before, wouldn't have that these days. If our mothers only knew.....

Gaga is probably a lot safer onboard these days.

Last edited by SadieN; October 23rd, 2012 at 12:15 AM.