Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Conversations > Lose Before You Cruise

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Lose Before You Cruise A place for cruisers to share their stories of how to lose weight before a cruise. Virtual snacks allowed, but only in small quantities.

Old October 8th, 2012, 10:00 AM
Cool Cruiser

I too track online and will have to get used to paper tracking for the trip. Though on the other hand last year I bought internet access to keep my email from getting out of hand. I might bring my laptop along this time and continue to track online after all. Would be worth the $$ to do it. I HAVE TO track. It's so easy to go over otherwise.

05-15-2011 Carnival Pride
12-02-2012 Carnival Pride
06-02-2013 Carnival Valor

Ad Sponsored By
Old October 8th, 2012, 03:52 PM
Cool Cruiser

I read over all the info on Simply Filling this morning. I am going to follow this plan while cruising. I will take my food guide with me and a couple of trackers so that I can continue to count any of my extra points. Each glass of wine I will mix with diet soda water so that I can have 2 glasses every night , but use only 3 points. That alone will account for half of my extra allowance each week. I intend to eat fresh fruit for dessert and have the occasional treat but will truly try to only have 2 or 3 bites of it. I have worked too hard to blow this loss in a few weeks. With all the walking I will be doing, I can lash out a little.

Nikki

Old October 8th, 2012, 08:07 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Great ideas again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunchesofun View Post
I too track online and will have to get used to paper tracking for the trip. Though on the other hand last year I bought internet access to keep my email from getting out of hand. I might bring my laptop along this time and continue to track online after all. Would be worth the $$ to do it. I HAVE TO track. It's so easy to go over otherwise.
I agree. After working so hard to develop the tracking as a habit I gotta keep it as a habit. Internet access for tracking seems worth the $.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gubby View Post
I read over all the info on Simply Filling this morning. I am going to follow this plan while cruising. I will take my food guide with me and a couple of trackers so that I can continue to count any of my extra points. Each glass of wine I will mix with diet soda water so that I can have 2 glasses every night , but use only 3 points. That alone will account for half of my extra allowance each week. I intend to eat fresh fruit for dessert and have the occasional treat but will truly try to only have 2 or 3 bites of it. I have worked too hard to blow this loss in a few weeks. With all the walking I will be doing, I can lash out a little.

Nikki
Very interesting idea. Simply filling then track the extras. I like this a lot because it would make it feel less constraining but I would still feel the habit of tracking in place by tracking the foods/drinks not on the Simply filling list. I am also going to wear a pedometer and plan on eating my activity points. I don't normally do so but on this trip I am going to use them.

I am sailing on Celebrity Equinox on 10/24 10 nights Greek Islands. Any one on this board on the same ship by chance? It would be great to have a WW buddy to touch base with while on board.

Old October 8th, 2012, 08:08 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:

Nikki
Sounds like a great plan, Nikki!

2004 Conquest Cruisin' with the Tide
2005 Glory Cruisin' with the Tide
2008 Valor Vagabonds (Sisters at Sea)
2009 Miracle Lovers (Sisters at Sea)
2011 Liberty Libations (Sisters at Sea)
2012 Liberty Tides (Liberty Belles)
2013 Breeze Tides (Lushes at Sea)
2014 Glory Belles
2015 Liberty Tides Again!

"But I took a sip, and yeah, it felt good on my lips...."

Old October 8th, 2012, 08:13 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmckee1961 View Post
I agree. After working so hard to develop the tracking as a habit I gotta keep it as a habit. Internet access for tracking seems worth the $.

Very interesting idea. Simply filling then track the extras. I like this a lot because it would make it feel less constraining but I would still feel the habit of tracking in place by tracking the foods/drinks not on the Simply filling list. I am also going to wear a pedometer and plan on eating my activity points. I don't normally do so but on this trip I am going to use them.

I am sailing on Celebrity Equinox on 10/24 10 nights Greek Islands. Any one on this board on the same ship by chance? It would be great to have a WW buddy to touch base with while on board.
So wish I were going to be on that sailing, but I have to wait until next April....I hope to be much closer to my goal by then.

Have you asked on your Roll Call? There may be some Point Trackers there.

2014 Glory Belles

Old October 8th, 2012, 08:15 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
It's suprising how much we "forget" when we don't write it down

2014 Glory Belles

Old October 8th, 2012, 08:23 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmckee1961 View Post
snip -

I cruised among the Greek Islands back in '72 when I was 17. That was my first experience with cruising. You'll love it! The islands are so beautiful and the water is gorgeous. Wish I was on the cruise with you.

I'd have to really study the Simply Filling plan. On the one hand it might be easier but I'd have to switch gears from regular points tracking. Hmm something to think about...

Last edited by bunchesofun; October 8th, 2012 at 08:25 PM.

Old October 9th, 2012, 08:55 AM
Cool Cruiser

I have my regular WW meeting tomorrow. As that is the day I begin a new week, I am going to start my Simply Filling plan when I get up. That way I will have almost 2 weeks of tracking that way before we leave for Spain and I will have some idea of how it is working out for me. If it leaves too much to be desired I will switch gears. However, if I only eat power foods and stop eating when I feel satisfied and track the extra allowance, it should do the job. I will be tracking and sticking to good for me foods. That way the entire cruise eating experience won't seem so cumbersome, but I still will feel that I am following the rules that have helped me to lose these excess pounds.

Nikki

Old October 9th, 2012, 08:29 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Home from weigh-in, and I had lost 2.4 pounds!

2014 Glory Belles

Old October 10th, 2012, 06:59 AM
Cool Cruiser

Congratulations! I don't know what will happen tomorrow. I was doing good then my 17 yo son took his sister and I out to supper at a Chinese place. I was fairly careful, using the WW Chinese cheat sheet online. I had broccoli and beef, chicken on a stick, 2 egg rolls and green beans, however I realized later the green beans had oil on them. That plus (probably) all the MSG and I'm up about 2 pounds when I weigh in the morning. Sucks 'cause I was doing so well too. You wouldn't think one meal could do that to you. I didn't have excessive amounts either. That was the only thing about the WW cheat sheet is that it didn't give quantities of food, just said a "portion" was so many points. Oh well, what is, is and I'll deal with it tomorrow.

Last edited by bunchesofun; October 10th, 2012 at 07:00 AM.

Old October 10th, 2012, 02:34 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonQueen View Post
Home from weigh-in, and I had lost 2.4 pounds!

Great loss! I had my WI this morning and gained a pound. Not ideal, but I tried on a pair of pants and need to redo the waistband as they are almost falling off. So this means my body is shifting and I am probably gaining muscle.

This is my day to start the simply filling plan and I will let you know how that goes. I am hoping that I can work out any kinks before we begin our holiday in 2 weeks.

Nikki

Old October 10th, 2012, 03:15 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Great loss! I had my WI this morning and gained a pound. Not ideal, but I tried on a pair of pants and need to redo the waistband as they are almost falling off. So this means my body is shifting and I am probably gaining muscle.

This is my day to start the simply filling plan and I will let you know how that goes. I am hoping that I can work out any kinks before we begin our holiday in 2 weeks.

Nikki
Good luck with the sf plan Nikki! If you need any extra AP's....I could use a kick in the butt.

Cherie

Last edited by Nalagh; October 10th, 2012 at 03:15 PM.

Old October 11th, 2012, 05:28 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Congratulations! I don't know what will happen tomorrow. I was doing good then my 17 yo son took his sister and I out to supper at a Chinese place. I was fairly careful, using the WW Chinese cheat sheet online. I had broccoli and beef, chicken on a stick, 2 egg rolls and green beans, however I realized later the green beans had oil on them. That plus (probably) all the MSG and I'm up about 2 pounds when I weigh in the morning. Sucks 'cause I was doing so well too. You wouldn't think one meal could do that to you. I didn't have excessive amounts either. That was the only thing about the WW cheat sheet is that it didn't give quantities of food, just said a "portion" was so many points. Oh well, what is, is and I'll deal with it tomorrow.
Thanks....and, if it was an Asian meal, it was probably water weight you gained!! I'll bet you see a loss next week

Quote:

Nikki
Thank you....and I'm anxious to see how the Simply Filling plan works. I don't trust myself to do it now, but would love to use it for vacation/parties/etc.

2014 Glory Belles

Old October 11th, 2012, 05:29 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalagh View Post
Good luck with the sf plan Nikki! If you need any extra AP's....I could use a kick in the butt.

Cherie
I love a good laugh first thing in the morning.....

2014 Glory Belles

Old October 12th, 2012, 06:57 PM
Cool Cruiser

I just came back from my "eat across Baltimore" trip. Little Italy and seafood. I guess I can always go back on WW tomorrow morning. I will drink nothing but water tonight and back OP tomorrow! There is always hope! I am still 30 pounds less than my highest weight but 20 pounds away from goal. Trip to Las Vegas in November for work. I have a hard time when I travel.

Old October 12th, 2012, 07:01 PM
Cool Cruiser

Just joined WW last week. Excited to find this group.

Email:gobucks_43228@yahoo.com

Carnival Triumph ---November 2003
Carnival Fascination ---August 2008
Carnival Imagination ---May 2009
Carnival Legend--Honeymoon cruise---July 2009
Carnival Valor---July 2010
Carnival Freedom--- July 2011
Carnival Imagination--- August 2012
Carnival Breeze--- July 2013

Old October 13th, 2012, 04:39 PM
Cool Cruiser

WI this morning. Down the 1.2 lbs. I gained last week, plus an an additional 0.4 lbs. I still want to get down to 140, but I don't think that's going to happen by the cruise, which is now just two weeks away (that we leave for NOLA).

If I can get down below 145 by that Saturday morning, I'll be satisfied, but I still plan to work towards 140 after we get back, before the holidays start, and try to maintain as best I can during the holidays.

RCCL Brilliance of the Seas - 4/2015 - Western Caribbean
RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas - 5/2014 - Alaska
Disney Dream - 1/2014 - Bahamas
Carnival Conquest - 10/2012 - Western Caribbean
RCCL Allure of the Seas - 9/2011 - Western Caribbean
RCCL Freedom of the Seas - 9/2009 - Western Caribbean
RCCL Mariner of the Seas - 5/2007 - Western Caribbean
Disney Wonder - 5/2004 - Bahamas
Disney Magic - 3/2002 - Eastern Caribbean

RCCL Crown & Anchor Society
Gold Member

Old October 14th, 2012, 08:59 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrishOB View Post
WI this morning. Down the 1.2 lbs. I gained last week, plus an an additional 0.4 lbs. I still want to get down to 140, but I don't think that's going to happen by the cruise, which is now just two weeks away (that we leave for NOLA).

If I can get down below 145 by that Saturday morning, I'll be satisfied, but I still plan to work towards 140 after we get back, before the holidays start, and try to maintain as best I can during the holidays.
Good loss and very achievable goals. I am also working towards 140 and know that I can reach and more importantly, maintain that. There have been some glitches along the way, but I am able to get back on track again. I think that is the way it will be for the rest of my life, but that is not any sacrifice, as I know I look and feel better with the loss.

This is not an official loss, as WI is on Wednesday, but this morning I was down 1.4 pounds using the Simply Filling plan. And I have been tracking extras and am only up to 12 points on that and 8 of those have been for white wine spritzers. This for me, is going to be the easiest way to track my daily intake while cruising. As long as the scale moves in the right direction.

Nikki

Old October 18th, 2012, 02:20 PM
Cool Cruiser

Went to weigh in this morning. I gained another .2 pounds. The ONLY thing I did wrong this week was have popcorn at the movies last Saturday. I came in 2 points over for the week. What is going on? That shouldn't have caused a gain that long ago. I am starting to get frustrated which is not good. Well, hopefully if I stick with it I will have a big loss next weigh in.

Old October 18th, 2012, 05:20 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Went to weigh in this morning. I gained another .2 pounds. The ONLY thing I did wrong this week was have popcorn at the movies last Saturday. I came in 2 points over for the week. What is going on? That shouldn't have caused a gain that long ago. I am starting to get frustrated which is not good. Well, hopefully if I stick with it I will have a big loss next weigh in.

Please, please stick with it. Those weeks of frustration can belooked upon as a gentle reminder of where we once were. AND we are NOT there anymore.

I did my Simply Filling this week and learned to eat until I am over full or else I start feeling hungry and will eat other not so good foods. Overall loss of 1.1 pounds but I had hoped for more. Perhaps it was the wine that I did not track on Saturday and Tuesday. Oh yes, and the Monday afternoon tapas party. I will miss the next 4 WIs as we leave for Spain tomorrow. I will be sure to report back the end of November and let you know how I did.

Nikki