Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > New Cruisers > First Time Cruisers

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

First Time Cruisers You May Also Want to Read: Over 4,000 Published Cruise Reviews by First Time Cruisers

Best advice for first-time cruisers; learn how to pick a cabin, find the best cruise bargain, tips on what to pack.

Browse Cruise Critic's First Time Cruiser Resources (articles)

Old October 12th, 2012, 10:09 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default pay for shore excursion B4 cruise?

If I go ahead and book and pay for a shore excursion before the cruise do they send me verification to use to board the bus to go to the mayan ruins? What is the weather prevents us from stopping at that port, would it be cancelled and I get my money back if I booked through Carnival? Thanks

Ad Sponsored By
Old October 12th, 2012, 10:39 PM
Charter Member - 10,000+ Club

your tickets will be placed in your cabin.

if the excursion is cancelled the money will be placed back onto your sign and sail card.

if it rains and you just dont show up you forfeit the money

. o ..
o . o o.o
...oo
__[]__
__|_o_o_o\__
""""""""""/
. .. . /
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Old October 13th, 2012, 04:42 AM
50,000+ Club

On the first day of your cruise your tickets will be delivered to your cabin.

THey will note the time of the tour and where to meet and the cancellation policy.

Keith

Old October 13th, 2012, 07:21 AM
50,000+ Club

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

When we book tours online -- we get an e-mail confirming those reservations -- I take them with me on the cruise.

Once we get on the ship I always check the excursion tickets that are there to make certain that everything is in order.

If for some reason your ship can't make it to a port or the tour is cancelled by the ship -- you will get the money via shipboard credit.

Old October 13th, 2012, 07:55 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruse2loose View Post
If I go ahead and book and pay for a shore excursion before the cruise do they send me verification to use to board the bus to go to the mayan ruins? What is the weather prevents us from stopping at that port, would it be cancelled and I get my money back if I booked through Carnival? Thanks
you should get either a ticket or some sort of proof in your cabin.. either the day you sail or the day before the tour.

if THEY cancel the ENTIRE your, you get your money back. if they skip a portion of it and substitute something else you do not get any money back. if you don't cancel( usually 24 hours before is the cut off) then you will not be refunded. most tours will clearly state that it goes on rain or shine unless it's truly dangerous to do so.

Old October 13th, 2012, 08:57 AM
10,000+ Club

We would echo the recommendation of Krazy Kruizers (above). When you purchase something in advance (such as excursions, speciality restaurant meal, wine packages, etc) you should receive a confirming e-mail from the cruise line. We always print-out these confirmations and take them with us in case their is a problem onboard. We also like to take a copy of our charge card statement that shows the pre-cruise charge from the cruise line. We have never needed these forms of "proof of purchase" but we like to cover our bases.

Hank

Old October 15th, 2012, 01:59 AM
5,000+ Club

If you book thru your cruise-line, they will cancel & refund tours if you don't dock at a certain place.

I mostly booked with independent tour places. I am careful to inquire what happens if a ship cannot dock for whatever circumstances. I only book with places that promise a full refund.

Old October 15th, 2012, 05:45 PM
5,000+ Club

As others have said, you'll have excursion tickets waiting for you when you arrive in your cabin.

I can tell you a bad story about that excurison and rain: Our tablemates did this excursion -- it was the one thing that the wife was looking forward to most on the entire cruise. That day it rained (sprinkled in the morning, poured in the afternoon), but the excursion went anyway. They got absolutely SOAKED at the ruins, and the driver still kept the air conditioning at full-blast all the way back to the ferry. They came to dinner that night bundled up in sweaters, grouchy as could be (this was a Thanksgiving cruise). They only stop excursions for extreme weather; plain old rain doesn't stop anything.

Do note that for this particular excursion you'll spend more time on ferry, then on the bus than you will at the ruins -- that's the type of thing I didn't understand on our first cruise.

Old October 16th, 2012, 12:41 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Thanks for the help, problem pre booking excursion

Myself and my friend are going and everything is in my name. When I go online and try to book the ruins excursion for just him, it will not let me. He is the second person listed. What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance