Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Special Interest Cruising > Disabled Cruise Travel

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Disabled Cruise Travel Cruisers with physical limitations share their advice & experiences.
Cruise Critic Disabled Cruise Resources

Old October 15th, 2012, 12:08 AM
Cool Cruiser

Hi All, I've read on these threads that the keys for these scooters are interchangeable. That mistakes can be made if you don't do something to make yours recognizable. Does anyone know if that's true? Thanks.

Rhonda

Jewel of the Seas 2013, Adventure of the Seas 2012, Carnival Splendor 2011, Majesty of the Seas 2010, Celebrity Summit 2010, Carnival Sensation 1999, 1997

Ports: Miami, San Juan, Tampa, St Thomas, St Martin, Cozumel, Grand Cayman, New Orleans, St Kitts, Curacao, Aruba, Cabo San Lucas, Puerto Vallarta, Long Beach, Bermuda, Tortola, Nassau, Cocoa Cay, Key West, St Croix, St Lucia, Antigua, Martinique

Ad Sponsored By
Old October 15th, 2012, 09:04 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by windham depot View Post
Hi All, I've read on these threads that the keys for these scooters are interchangeable. That mistakes can be made if you don't do something to make yours recognizable. Does anyone know if that's true? Thanks.

Rhonda
It's correct that scooter keys are not unique. For example a key to a Pride Go Go regardless of the model will fit all models of Pride Go Go's.

Though it's rare but it can happen. I had parked my scooter outside the dining room one evening along side the wall as I was going to collect my scooter after diner spotted a waiter about to drive off with mine thinking it was the one there table guest sent them to get. Apparrently the table guest told the waiter that it was the red scooter parked along the wall just outside the dining as there was another scooter identical to mine parked there as well. BTW I had taken the key with me and apparently his table guest also had taken their key that's how he was able to drive it. Since than I place one of the ships luggage tag on the scooter and also tie a bright green scarf on it . Have never had a problem since.

If you are renting a scooter from either Caravacations or Special Needs at Seas. Most of the scooters look alike with the name of the rental company clearly marked on them. The rentals are also maked with a serial number for the company to identify which scooter has been assigned to what cabin. Most people don't realize that so if the scooter gets interchanged unknowingly there's always that possibility of a person being charged for damages they didn't cause because they didn't bother to check what scooter they were taking. Another reason to do something to identify it as uniquely yours if renting.

Old October 19th, 2012, 01:24 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thank you, I appreciate your answers to my questions. Rhonda

Jewel of the Seas 2013, Adventure of the Seas 2012, Carnival Splendor 2011, Majesty of the Seas 2010, Celebrity Summit 2010, Carnival Sensation 1999, 1997

Ports: Miami, San Juan, Tampa, St Thomas, St Martin, Cozumel, Grand Cayman, New Orleans, St Kitts, Curacao, Aruba, Cabo San Lucas, Puerto Vallarta, Long Beach, Bermuda, Tortola, Nassau, Cocoa Cay, Key West, St Croix, St Lucia, Antigua, Martinique

Old October 31st, 2012, 06:55 PM
Cool Cruiser

Have the crew take a chair down the ramp. Have them take your husband down in his wheelchair, and move over to the chair. Then have them move the scooter down while you sit in his wheelchair. Then they take you down and you sit on the scooter, your husband sits in his chair. and you are both off for a great time. I think they would get a kick out of this as long as you didnt do it at peak time.

Or, have guest services have a wheelchair there for you to use on the ramp.

Last edited by rbrugler; October 31st, 2012 at 06:56 PM.

Old November 23rd, 2012, 08:36 PM
Cool Cruiser

One little hint. When I am taking my rented scooter into a port, I wait until the crowd has gone down. The crew then has the time to take care of me. Also, do not worry about fuses and problems. My scooted died once in Tortola and I was quite a way from ship. I called the 800 number. They called the ship and crew was sent to help. They could not get it to work, but pushed me all the way back, and once on board, there was a replacement scooter waiting. They said companies usually leave a spare on board. The next day they called our cabin and said the first one was running again. I could either have it back or keep the one I had. I thought the service was fantastic. This is why I use the cruise lines recommended company.

Last edited by rbrugler; November 23rd, 2012 at 08:37 PM.

Old November 24th, 2012, 06:16 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrugler View Post
Also, do not worry about fuses and problems. My scooted died once in Tortola and I was quite a way from ship. I called the 800 number.......I thought the service was fantastic. This is why I use the cruise lines recommended company.
I never worried when I rented scooters for cruises either. But since I have purchased a travel scooter for cruises and vacations, I don't have anyone to call, per se, if it breaks down or blows a fuse. I have to be as knowledgeable as possible about it since I would have to repair it till we got home.
01/14-HAL MS Noordam-11 night Southern Caribbean
12/12-Celebrity Eclipse-14 night Southern Caribbean-New Years Cruise
06/12-Carnival Dream-7 Night Western Caribbean
01/12-Holland America-MS Noordam-10 Night Southern Caribbean
01/11-Celebrity Equinox-11 Night Ultimate Caribbean
05/09-RCCL-Rhapsody of the Seas-7 Night Alaska
06/08-Carnival Victory-6 Night Bahamas
06/05-Carnival Miracle- 8 Night Eastern Caribbean
06/03-RCCL-Nordic Empress-7 Night Bermuda
2001 -Carnival Triumph-7 Night Western Caribbean
1997 -RCCL-Grandeur of the Seas-7 Night Eastern Caribbean