Vaccinations

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 03:09 AM.
#1
Cleveland
12 Posts
Joined Jun 2010
What vaccinations would I need for a cruise that goes to Hong Kong, Vietnam, Thailand, and Singapore?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
#2
84,559 Posts
Joined Jul 2000
None are required.

I would recommend that you consult with your physician or with a travelers physician on this.

In our case for travel, not just these places, we had the two hepatitis vaccinations and made sure that other vaccinations were up to date including tetanus as well as a flu shot if traveling during the flu season or if it is recommended based on ones age.

Keith
#3
51 Posts
Joined Feb 2012
It's important to use a mosquito repellent when in Asia as there are no vaccines against some kinds of fevers spread by mosquitoes.
#5
N E England
5,811 Posts
Joined Aug 2006
Originally posted by Keith1010
None are required.

I would recommend that you consult with your physician or with a travelers physician on this.

In our case for travel, not just these places, we had the two hepatitis vaccinations and made sure that other vaccinations were up to date including tetanus as well as a flu shot if traveling during the flu season or if it is recommended based on ones age.

Keith
Keith, I hope you don't mind but I plagarised this and put it on our Millie rollcall. Thanks for the information, as usual you are on the button on all things Asia.
#6
Irvine, CA
8,471 Posts
Joined Apr 2008
Originally posted by Keith1010
Good point but it's needed in certain areas not say in Singapore or Hong Kong.

Keith
Keith, would you need mosquito repellent on the beaches in Singapore?
#8
84,559 Posts
Joined Jul 2000
Originally posted by MichelleinOC
Keith, would you need mosquito repellent on the beaches in Singapore?
Michelle, we only have walked on one beach in Singapore and that is one that is at an amusement type area that is near the current cruise ship terminal. We didn't see a need for the mosquito repellent and saw no sign of mosquitos. You could bring it along with you just in case but I don't think you will require it.

Keith
#9
Southern California by way of Kentucky
18,059 Posts
Joined Aug 2009
We just returned from a two week land trip to China...Had the mosquito individual packaged wipes with me but never felt the need to use them.
#10
toronto
2 Posts
Joined Oct 2012
Hi. Travel clinics are great. If you are going in-country in Vietnam, cholera pills before leaving are recommended, plus hepatitis. For sure, get your tetanus shot up to date. Just got stung by a wasp in my own garden, and was in anophylactic shock twice, so I might be better off in Cambodia!
#11
So Cal
183 Posts
Joined Feb 2010
We are going to Vietnam and Cambodia and the travel clinic recommended flu, Hep A, Hep B, typhoid, tetanus, and MMR. Apparently there has been a measles outbreak in Vietnam recently. And yes, mosquito protection!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
MS La Marguerite, Mekong River, 12/4/12
Oasis of the Seas, Eastern Caribbean, 10/8/11
Mariner of the Seas, Mexican Riviera, 1/2/11
Vision of the Seas, Mexican Riviera, 9/21/08
#13
Charlotte,NC
2,968 Posts
Joined Jan 2009
Originally posted by ottawa24
I have not heard of the "Travellers Physcian"/ "Travelers Clinincs". Can someone update me please. Thanks.
lesley
In Charlotte, NC, it is called Passport Health but I would suggest going there(there is a fee, like $80 per person, so only one needs to go to get info) and getting info on the countries but maybe get a list of shots you need and see if you can have your doctor do them, cheaper, and maybe your health insurance will pay. I did not listen to my own advice and it cost me like $180 per hepatitis shot.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Ron and Donna Jean
#14
So Cal
183 Posts
Joined Feb 2010
I think Passport Health is national -- my husband was in Kansas City on business and was able to go to one of their clinics there. They talked to him about his trip, prepared a booklet of handy tips tailored to our destination, and gave him all the vaccinations he needed. It was pricey but worth it because he was in a hurry.

On the other hand, I was able to go to my regular doctor and she did exactly the same thing, minus the fancy booklet, and all it cost me was my insurance co-pay.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
MS La Marguerite, Mekong River, 12/4/12
Oasis of the Seas, Eastern Caribbean, 10/8/11
Mariner of the Seas, Mexican Riviera, 1/2/11
Vision of the Seas, Mexican Riviera, 9/21/08
#15
S. California
301 Posts
Joined Oct 2008
Originally posted by mlk58
I think Passport Health is national -- my husband was in Kansas City on business and was able to go to one of their clinics there. They talked to him about his trip, prepared a booklet of handy tips tailored to our destination, and gave him all the vaccinations he needed. It was pricey but worth it because he was in a hurry.

On the other hand, I was able to go to my regular doctor and she did exactly the same thing, minus the fancy booklet, and all it cost me was my insurance co-pay.
Thanks for the info. We have not heard of them before and we do have one in OC.
Also I notice you are taking a Mekong River cruise in Dec. so I hope you will post how you liked it. We have toyed with the idea of cancelling our S.E. cruise and changing to a River cruise.
lesley
#16
So Cal
183 Posts
Joined Feb 2010
We will definitely report back on the Mekong River cruise! We are inside a month of departure now and are beside ourselves with excitement!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
MS La Marguerite, Mekong River, 12/4/12
Oasis of the Seas, Eastern Caribbean, 10/8/11
Mariner of the Seas, Mexican Riviera, 1/2/11
Vision of the Seas, Mexican Riviera, 9/21/08
#17
Western Australia
562 Posts
Joined Aug 2012
Originally posted by MichelleinOC
Keith, would you need mosquito repellent on the beaches in Singapore?
Hi Michelle,

Whether or not you need repellant comes down to whether you are - like me - the sort of person that mosquitoes and other biting insects zero in on. I get eaten alive while my husband probably gets one bite a year. My skin is very, very fair while he tans to a deep golden colour - I'm sure those bities love my white skin, so easy to see in the dark that it may as well be fluro. I woudn't dream of going anywhere in the tropics - and Singapore, Thailand, Cambodia, southern Vietnam are all tropical - without precautions, so I will be spraying myself lavishly or ensuring I wear a bracelet and anklet of mosquito repellant.

Cheers .. Bev
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

#19
Western Australia
562 Posts
Joined Aug 2012
Originally posted by Keith1010
My advice is to take the repellent. But in Singapore I would wait to put it on.

I happen to be one who the bugs love to bite too.

Keith
It's a bummer, isn't it. My man just never gets bitten, but I do every time. I bought a fantastic bracelet/anklet in France last year which contains a little pellet of repellant, and that works a charm but you can't buy them here unfortunately. Ah well, have a great cruise and don't forget the Aeroguard. At least most are decent smelling these days.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

#20
Southern California by way of Kentucky
18,059 Posts
Joined Aug 2009
Originally posted by ottawa24
Thanks for the info. We have not heard of them before and we do have one in OC.
Also I notice you are taking a Mekong River cruise in Dec. so I hope you will post how you liked it. We have toyed with the idea of cancelling our S.E. cruise and changing to a River cruise.
lesley
Your local Costco offer's some vaccinations..call their pharmacy for prices and details.