Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Friends of Cruise Critic > Capt. Billís World Cruise

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old October 21st, 2012, 10:20 AM
Cool Cruiser

I just checked Princess online and the Diamond Princess cruise April 2014 from Bangkok to Alaska is already completely booked - interiors to suites. The identical April 2013 cruise is not completely booked. Any idea why? Do you think a group booked most of the cabins for 2014? I am at a loss. Son and I were talking about another cruise to see them in spring 2014 while they're still in Singapore and he suggested the Asia cruise that we did in 2010. We enjoyed it a lot and I just went to check on it and found this out.

Cruise Countdown Tickers

Cruise Countdown Tickers

Cruise Countdown Tickers

Cruise Countdown Tickers

Old October 21st, 2012, 02:40 PM
Cool Cruiser

In checking out the roll calls for the Diamond in spring of 2014, I found that several people reported their cruises were cancelled by Princess just two days ago. No one has any idea what's going to happen to the Diamond schedule at this point. I wonder if another ship will be doing the Asia to Alaska route?

Cruise Countdown Tickers

Cruise Countdown Tickers

Cruise Countdown Tickers

Cruise Countdown Tickers

Old October 21st, 2012, 03:49 PM
5,000+ Club

Default Diamond Princess 2014 and Singapore

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1724598

There has been comment on this thread about the cancellation of Diamond Princess cruises for 2014.

One speculation was maybe Princess are going to base Diamond Princess in Singapore, with its new wharf.

Any special recommendations for Singapore, Sandi? I will be spending four days there prior to my cruise next month. I have stopped there many times as a stopover en route to the UK. This time, I'm thinking maybe the Botanical Gardens, Zoos and Bird Park.

Princess - Ocean Princess - 2012 - Singapore to Sydney
Fred Olsen Black Watch - 2012 - The Baltic, with Norway. Dover to St. Petersburg, via Kiel Canal.
Celebrity Century - 2011 - Auckland to Sydney

CTMA Vacancier - 2011 - Montreal to Magdalen Islands. Amtrak - Toronto to New York
MSC - Poesia - 2010 - Kiel, Germany to NY. Amtrak NY to Niagara Falls, VIA Rail Toronto to Vancouver
MSC - Lirica - 2008 - Genoa, Italy to Fort Lauderdale
Royal Caribbean - Rhapsody of the Seas - 2007 - Honolulu to Sydney
Rivers of Holland Cruise - 2003 - to Amsterdam
Alaskan Marine Highway - 2003 - to most Alaskan ports of call
Star Cruises - Superstar Leo - 2003 - Sydney to Darwin
Norwegian Coastal Voyage - Naruik - 2002 - Bergen to Kirkenes
Angelina Lauro - 1971 - Sydney to Perth. Indian Pacific - Perth to Sydney (Put me off cruising for 30 years!)

P & O - Chusan - 1970 - London to Brisbane, via Africa, India and Sri Lanka (Suez closed).
Chandris Lines - Queen Frederica - 1969 - Sydney to London, via Panama, New York and Rotterdam

Old October 21st, 2012, 06:28 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMDown Under View Post
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1724598

There has been comment on this thread about the cancellation of Diamond Princess cruises for 2014.

One speculation was maybe Princess are going to base Diamond Princess in Singapore, with its new wharf.

Any special recommendations for Singapore, Sandi? I will be spending four days there prior to my cruise next month. I have stopped there many times as a stopover en route to the UK. This time, I'm thinking maybe the Botanical Gardens, Zoos and Bird Park.
Do the night safari at the Zoo excellent tour.
The Bird park is great
If you are a history buff google the old WWII bunkers etc which have just been reopened and are now a tourist attraction very interesting

Most suicides are caused with a knife and fork!

Sun Dream - Baltic Capitals 5*; Sun Dream - Jamaica Caribbean 4*; Sun Bird - Mediteranean 4*; Sun Dream - Jamaica-Teneriffe 4*; M V Isabella Nile 5*; Thompsons Topaz - Mediteranean 5*; Sun Dream - Teneriffe - Dubrovnic(with 91 year old MIL) 4*; Oriana - Norwegian Fjords 2003 3*; Aurora - Iceland and Fiords 2003 4*; Adonia - Brisbane - Hong Kong 2004 4*; M V Victoria - Yangtze 2002 5*; Pacific Sun - Vanuatu and Islands 2005 2*; Pacific Sky Pacific Islands 2*; M V Royal Star - Kenya - Seychelles 2006 6*; Legend/Seas - S'ton -Tampa 2006 4*; Legend/Seas - Tampa - Mexico 2006 4*; Infinity - Alaska Sep 2007 5*; Murray Princess - Murray River Xmas 2007 4*; Sun Princess Pacific Circle (76 days) July 2008 4*; Rhapsody/Seas 6/1/2009 Tasmania 4*; Dawn Princess 9/2/2009 New Zealand 3*; Dawn Princess Brisbane-Sydney 20/6/2009 1*; Rhapsody/Seas Sydney to Perth Oct 2009 5*; Royal Princess Amazon B2B 27th Feb &13th Mar 2010 5*; Sun Princess Africa & India 3rd May 2011 4*; Sun Princess Fijian Jewels March 2012 4* Diamond Princess Bangkok - Sydney 26/11/2012 4*; Grand Princess South America 26th Jan 2013 4*;Sun Princess Christmas 2013 New Zealand 4*; Island princess Panama Canal 5* 1st May 2014; Island Princess LAX-Vancouver 4* 16th May 2014; Sea Princess 17th Aug 2014 Fremantle to Singapore 3*, Sea Princess 1st Sep 2014 Singapore to Fremantle 3*

Old October 21st, 2012, 07:12 PM
5,000+ Club

Default Singapore

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsor26 View Post
Do the night safari at the Zoo excellent tour.
The Bird park is great
If you are a history buff google the old WWII bunkers etc which have just been reopened and are now a tourist attraction very interesting
Thanks, Yvonne,

My daughter loves animals and is a volunteer at an Exotic Animal Shelter, so I will visit the Night Safari and Bird Park with her.

I'm interested in Singapore's war history, so I will google WWII bunkers.

Fred Olsen Black Watch - 2012 - The Baltic, with Norway. Dover to St. Petersburg, via Kiel Canal.

CTMA Vacancier - 2011 - Montreal to Magdalen Islands. Amtrak - Toronto to New York
MSC - Poesia - 2010 - Kiel, Germany to NY. Amtrak NY to Niagara Falls, VIA Rail Toronto to Vancouver
Angelina Lauro - 1971 - Sydney to Perth. Indian Pacific - Perth to Sydney (Put me off cruising for 30 years!)

P & O - Chusan - 1970 - London to Brisbane, via Africa, India and Sri Lanka (Suez closed).
Chandris Lines - Queen Frederica - 1969 - Sydney to London, via Panama, New York and Rotterdam

Old October 21st, 2012, 07:16 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
I'm interested in Singapore's war history, so I will google WWII bunkers.

We went to the chapel at Changi Prison when we called there .
Very moving. Its all set up as a memorial to WWII victims and survivors.

P&O...12
Princess...11
HAL ...4
Norwegian Capricorn ... 3
RCCL ...2
Cunard ...2
Star Cruises ... 2
Regent Seven Seas ...2
NCL ...1

Don't be afraid to go out on a limb ... Thats where the fruit is.

Old October 21st, 2012, 07:23 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by StLouisCruisers View Post
I just checked Princess online and the Diamond Princess cruise April 2014 from Bangkok to Alaska is already completely booked - interiors to suites. The identical April 2013 cruise is not completely booked. Any idea why? Do you think a group booked most of the cabins for 2014? I am at a loss. Son and I were talking about another cruise to see them in spring 2014 while they're still in Singapore and he suggested the Asia cruise that we did in 2010. We enjoyed it a lot and I just went to check on it and found this out.

Princess do that with their bookings. You will find that what is booked out will be the cabins they have released ...so far. They sometimes alloctae a block to agents so they can put a package deal together , so they are not open for general booking at the moment. We have always found that if you wait list , cabins suddenly appear out of the blue.

I think they only give the computer so many cabins to sell at a time, and when those have gone it they give it a rest ...until they feed it more cabins to sell.

P&O...12
Princess...11
HAL ...4
RCCL ...2
Cunard ...2
Star Cruises ... 2
Regent Seven Seas ...2
NCL ...1

Old October 21st, 2012, 07:57 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi Kruzer View Post
Princess do that with their bookings. You will find that what is booked out will be the cabins they have released ...so far. They sometimes alloctae a block to agents so they can put a package deal together , so they are not open for general booking at the moment. We have always found that if you wait list , cabins suddenly appear out of the blue.

I think they only give the computer so many cabins to sell at a time, and when those have gone it they give it a rest ...until they feed it more cabins to sell.

Totally agree David.

I once was really keen on a cruise from the Med to SEAsia, which showed booked out. So I made other travel arrangements, only to discover later that my favoured cruise wasn't booked out at all. That was the catalyst for my decision to make travel bookings closer to the date of travel.

Thanks for the information re the chapel at Changi Prison.

Old October 21st, 2012, 08:17 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Thanks for the information re the chapel at Changi Prison.

We took a taxi out and he waited for us and then took us back to Orchard Rd. There were tour buses there as well. We could have stayed a lot longer, but were conscious of the waiting taxi We need not have been as taxis in Singapore are relatively cheap.

More ideas ..........
Jurong Bird Park...check out the show times.
Night Zoo...
Singapore Flyer
Marina Bay Sands.
The Marina Bay Gardens...not sure of the name its new.
Day trip over the border ,(over the causeway), to Johor Bahru....they call that tour the Immigration Tour as you have to show and get your passport checked at least 4 times...
Then theres shopping
We always check out Lucky Pazaon Orchard Road.
River cruise.....
So much to do in Singapore.
Will you have enough time there???????

P&O...12
Princess...11
HAL ...4
RCCL ...2
Cunard ...2
Star Cruises ... 2
Regent Seven Seas ...2
NCL ...1

Last edited by Kiwi Kruzer; October 21st, 2012 at 08:18 PM.

Old October 21st, 2012, 09:17 PM
5,000+ Club

Default Singapore

Quote:
We took a taxi out and he waited for us and then took us back to Orchard Rd. There were tour buses there as well. We could have stayed a lot longer, but were conscious of the waiting taxi We need not have been as taxis in Singapore are relatively cheap.

More ideas ..........
Jurong Bird Park...check out the show times.
Night Zoo...
Singapore Flyer
Marina Bay Sands.
The Marina Bay Gardens...not sure of the name its new.
Day trip over the border ,(over the causeway), to Johor Bahru....they call that tour the Immigration Tour as you have to show and get your passport checked at least 4 times...
Then theres shopping
We always check out Lucky Pazaon Orchard Road.
River cruise.....
So much to do in Singapore.
Will you have enough time there???????

Thanks for lots of ideas for me to investigate, David. I will have four days.

Did you go on an organised bus tour to Johor Bahru, as I've heard crossing independently on public transport can be chaotic? I would like to see Johor Bahru, because I studied with a Malaysian whose passion was developing tourism in Johor Bahru.

Not big on shopping on my travels. What does Lucky Paza sell? I always manage to buy kitchen utensils on my travels. Buying clothing is depressing, as nothing fits in Asian countries, unless you shop top end.

One wonderful thing about cruising into Sydney from SEAsia is that I can leave any heavy stuff with my daughter in Sydney, so don't have to worry about flight baggage limits!

Old October 21st, 2012, 09:34 PM
10,000+ Club

I will have four days.
Did you go on an organised bus tour to Johor Bahru, as I've heard crossing independently on public transport can be chaotic? Yes

What does Lucky Paza sell? You name it...they sell it....I am sure you almost buy a new set of dentures there...if you wanted them
Its lots of little stall holders in a multi storied Department Type Store/Mall with a big atrium in the middle.

P&O...12
Princess...11
HAL ...4
RCCL ...2
Cunard ...2
Star Cruises ... 2
Regent Seven Seas ...2
NCL ...1

Old October 21st, 2012, 09:35 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
I will have four days.
Did you go on an organised bus tour to Johor Bahru, as I've heard crossing independently on public transport can be chaotic? Yes

What does Lucky Paza sell? You name it...they sell it....I am sure you almost buy a new set of dentures there...if you wanted them
Its lots of little stall holders in a multi storied Department Type Store/Mall with a big atrium in the middle.

Thanks David Sounds well worth a visit.

Old October 21st, 2012, 10:32 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by StLouisCruisers View Post
In checking out the roll calls for the Diamond in spring of 2014, I found that several people reported their cruises were cancelled by Princess just two days ago. No one has any idea what's going to happen to the Diamond schedule at this point. I wonder if another ship will be doing the Asia to Alaska route?
It may just be the rescheduled drydock from 2013, which has apparently been cancelled. Rick-Ek on the Princess boards posted that, and he's usually accurate since he knows someone who works at Princess.

I hope that itinerary doesn't go away entirely; I'm looking forward to doing it myself one of these days. That is, if they put Vladivostock back on!

Old October 21st, 2012, 10:59 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdsqrl View Post
It may just be the rescheduled drydock from 2013, which has apparently been cancelled. Rick-Ek on the Princess boards posted that, and he's usually accurate since he knows someone who works at Princess.

I hope that itinerary doesn't go away entirely; I'm looking forward to doing it myself one of these days. That is, if they put Vladivostock back on!
Don't hang out for Vladivostock Annie.... worst port ever! If I ever have the misfortune of having it on another cruise, I will stay onboard!

cwejsmith@gmail.com
Golden Princess - Melbourne to Los Angeles - April 2016
Sun Princess - Papua New Guinea - September 2015
Diamond Princess - Singapore to Tokyo - April 2015
Diamond Princess - Sydney to Singapore - March 2015
Ruby Princess - TA to NY - Norway/Iceland - Sept 2014
Ruby Princess - British Isles - August 2014
Sea Princess - Aust Coastal - May 2014
Diamond Princess - Tasmania - December 2013
Diamond Princess - Aust to China - March 2013
Diamond Princess - New Zealand - Feb 2013
Ruby Princess - Mediterranean - May 2012
Ruby Princess - FLL to Barcelona - April 2012
Ruby Princess - Caribbean - April 2012
Sun Princess - Brisbane/Sydney - March 2012
Dawn Princess - Sydney/Melb - Dec 2011
Pacific Dawn - New Zealand - October 2011
Sun Princess - Brisbane/Sydney - July 2011
Diamond Princess - Alaska - May 2011
Diamond Princess - China to Alaska Repo. - May 2011
Sun Princess - Brisbane/Sydney - April 2011
Dawn Princess - Melb/Sydney - March 2011
Celebrity Constellation - Caribbean Thanksgiving cruise - Nov 2010
Oriana P & O UK - Sydney/Brisbane - Nov 2010
Pacific Sun - Newcastle/Brisbane - Sept 2010
Sun Princess - Sydney/Brisbane - April 2010
Coral Princess -FLL to LA via Panama Canal -Feb 2010
Pacific Dawn - Sydney/Brisbane - Dec 2009
Sun Princess - Vanuatu/New Caledonia - Feb 2009

Old October 21st, 2012, 11:53 PM
10,000+ Club

Diamond is actually in Singapore today.
Looks like the bridge cam is giving us a view of the City from the new cruise terminal.

P&O...12
Princess...11
HAL ...4
RCCL ...2
Cunard ...2
Star Cruises ... 2
Regent Seven Seas ...2
NCL ...1

Old October 22nd, 2012, 12:50 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:

Diamond is actually in Singapore today.
Looks like the bridge cam is giving us a view of the City from the new cruise terminal.

That is a good bridge cam shot, David.

I'd been researching the new terminal this morning. It looks like a beautiful building. I was pleased to see that there is public transport to the port.

Old October 22nd, 2012, 01:41 AM
10,000+ Club

Ocean Princess is currently transiting the Suez Canal if you want to follow her progress as she heads out to pick you up

P&O...12
Princess...11
HAL ...4
RCCL ...2
Cunard ...2
Star Cruises ... 2
Regent Seven Seas ...2
NCL ...1

Old October 22nd, 2012, 03:38 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Ocean Princess is currently transiting the Suez Canal if you want to follow her progress as she heads out to pick you up

Oh David, Suez Canal is still on my wish list, because it was closed when I did my first atw cruise.

Just googled Ocean Princess webcam and there it was! Looks hazy.

Old October 22nd, 2012, 09:51 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdsqrl View Post

Oh, I hope they didn't reschedule the drydock! I wanted an International Cafe for my cruises Nov.-Dec. 2013! I will have to do a little investigating, check out the Princess board and see what they're saying.

As for Singapore, looks like you've gotten a lot of answers here already. I was going to say I had seen something about the night safari at the zoo and it looked very unique! And here's another vote for Lucky Plaza if you like to shop. We've gone there before. They have it all.

Cruise Countdown Tickers

Cruise Countdown Tickers

Cruise Countdown Tickers

Cruise Countdown Tickers

Old October 22nd, 2012, 10:48 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Good Morning all! I've had fun reading about all the potential exciting ventures those of you traveling to Singapore could have. I can only dream as there is just no way I'd ever get DH on an airplane long enough to reach a departure city. The friends we are sailing with in March have booked a Med cruise for May and really want us to go along but it would involve trans-Atlantic flights and unless I could find a drug to put Rich asleep for 12 hours there is just NO way he will do it.

My sister & BIL spent 2 days with us last week and we had a marvelous visit. Of course the guys played gold but Jeannie & I just spent 2 very nice days visiting. She's finished with her latest round of Chemo and sees the doctor on Thursday to see what the lab work says. If the C125 has started to rise again there will be another Chemo round with different drugs as they don't use the same ones twice within a years' time frame. So, everybody please keep fingers, toes, arms & legs crossed for a really low number.

Fall has arrived here with morning in the high 40s and daytime temps in the low 70s. I'd rather much warmer weather but at least it's not raining and the sky is a beautiful blue.

Barb
There comes a time in life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh, forget the bad, and focus on the good. So, love the people who treat you right. Think good thoughts for the ones who don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy.

Crown 93, Star 94, Regal 95, Sun 96, Crown 97, Dawn 98, Dawn 99, Sun 2000, Dawn 01, Grand 02, Coral 03, Star 03, Sun 04, Star 05, Caribbean Princess 07, Emerald 08, RCCL LOS 08 , Emerald 09, Ruby 10, Ruby 10, Emerald 11, HAL Ms Westerdam B2B 2012, HAL Ms Noordam 13, HAL Ms Noordam 14, Carnival Fantasy 14