Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Special Interest Cruising > Gay & Lesbian Cruisers > G&L Roll Calls

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

G&L Roll Calls Rules for Posting
- No advertising of group cruises.
- No "looking for" type posts.
-Try browsing for an existing date before you post!

Suggested format for Subject Lines: Cruise Line | Ship Name | Sail Date | Nifty or cute saying of some sort :)

Old October 23rd, 2012, 02:14 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Paris

I have been on three other transatlantic cruises around this same time and it only rained once at sea on us...knock wood,,,,hoping this is the same...I need to call celebrity and see if i can cancel a tour once i already booked it....I tried to talk with choice air and maybe fly a few days earlier into paris and ten maybe just meet the ship there ...but i got such a low rate on air to london, they won;t cooperate....not sure what to do...i really want to see Paris.....thought about the tour that just drops you off but I get lost going downstairs to the kitchen so probably not for me....See everybody on board....

Ad Sponsored By
Old October 30th, 2012, 01:45 AM
Cool Cruiser

Hello all,

I just decided to book this cruise at the last minute (well, today). My partner Rito has a major project at work, so I will be "almost solo". My mother was previously booked on this cruise and the one before and after this one. This will be the only one for me. So, while we'll not be sharing a room (saints be praised), I will have parental supervision.

Oddly enough Howard, who started this thread was on the Constellation's Eastbound TA last Spring with Rito and I, so this will be something of a "reunion cruise".

I look forward to meeting everyone.

Harris
Denver, CO

Sailed:

Feb 2006: Celebrity Mercury, 11 Night Mexican Riviera (San Diego)

Dec 2006: Celebrity Mercury, 15 Night Eastbound Panama Canal (San Diego – Miami)
Oct 2007: Celebrity Mercury, 3 Night Pacific Northwest (Seattle)
Dec 2007: Celebrity Century, 17 Night Transatlantic (Barcelona – Miami)
Oct 2008: Celebrity Mercury, 15 Night Hawaii (San Diego)
Back to Back with
Nov 2008: Celebrity Mercury, 15 Night Hawaii (San Diego)
May 2009: Royal Caribbean Mariner, 7 Night Pacific Coastal (Los Angeles)
Nov 2009: Celebrity Mercury, 12 Night Eastern Caribbean (Baltimore)
Back to Back with
Dec 2009: Celebrity Mercury, 9 Night Bahamas (Baltimore)
Apr 2010: Royal Caribbean Radiance, 11 Night Mexican Riviera (San Diego)
Oct 2010: Celebrity Solstice, 7 Night Western Caribbean (Ft. Lauderdale)
Feb 2011: Celebrity Infinity, 14 Night (Buenos Aires – Valparaiso)
Back to Back with
Mar 2011: Celebrity Infinity, 14 Night South America & Panama Canal (Valparaiso- Ft. Lauderdale)
May 2011: Norwegian Spirit, 7 Night Western Caribbean (New Orleans)
Nov 2011: Celebrity Equinox, 14 Night Transatlantic (Rome-Ft. Lauderdale)
Dec 2011: Celebrity Millennium, 5 Night Western Caribbean (Miami)
March 2012: Celebrity Century, 13 Night Hawaii (Honolulu to Ensenada)
May 2012: Celebrity Constellation, 15 Night Transatlantic (Ft. Lauderdale to Amsterdam)
November 2012: Celebrity Constellation, 15 Night Transatlantic (Southampton to Miami)
April 2013: Celebrity Solstice, 18 Night Transpacific (Sydney-Honolulu)
November 2013: Celebrity Solstice, 18 Night Transpacific (Honolulu-Sydney)
Back to Back with
November 2013: Celebrity Solstice, 12 Night South Pacific and Fiji (Sydney)
March 2014: Celebrity Infinity, 15 Night Westbound Panama Canal (Miami to San Diego)

Last edited by omeinv; October 30th, 2012 at 01:46 AM.

Old October 30th, 2012, 08:15 AM
Cool Cruiser

Welcome aboard Harris, how nice to know you too will be onboard. I'm sorry to hear that Rito won't be joining you, but I'm sure your mom will more than make up for it. Is she too an "Elite"? I suppose we'll be back at our regular table for cocktails? Can't wait to re-meet all the wonderful staff on board the "Connie".

Howard in record breaking cold Fort Lauderdale

Old October 30th, 2012, 06:17 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default hey cruisers

how is everybody doing...i looked at the celebrity site and it appears that the ship is almost sold out. I guess great news for celebrity. Does anybody know if there is a perisan gardens on this ship...the transatlantic that i took on the millie had a T pool and the gardens. was hopimg there was a t pool and gardens on the connie. Also looking into a cruise for the pacific northwest on century ....has anybody been on that ship? Oh welcome harris to the ship...

Old October 30th, 2012, 09:13 PM
Cool Cruiser

Hi all, for those in the aftermath of Sandy, we hope all are OK. We are also in a toss-up over going to Paris. After reading the posts above, we are reconsidering our options, although we too have never been and have always wanted to take it in. We know the pitfalls of trying to see a city of this stature and size in short order, but we thought even if we could take in just a few sights (and some Parisian cuisine) it might be worth braving the bus ride there and back. Are we being too hopeful? Perhaps, but if we never make it back for some reason, would we be able to forgive ourselves for coming this close to the "City of Light" deciding to close our eyes? This is a tough one...

Old October 30th, 2012, 11:08 PM
Cool Cruiser

Rito and I took the train from La Harve to Paris last spring. The train is the way to go, as it's faster and less expensive than Celebrity's bus excursion. You can get your train tickets in advance, on line. The train station puts you with about 3 metro stops of all the famous sites, so when you get to Paris, simply buy a day pass for the Metro, and they will give you a map.

We had an advantage having been before, so we knew what we wanted to do, and what we weren't going to spend time on. We had plenty of time to do what we wanted, have lunch, and were still back at the train station with time to spare.

Harris
Denver, CO

Sailed:

Dec 2006: Celebrity Mercury, 15 Night Eastbound Panama Canal (San Diego – Miami)
Back to Back with
Back to Back with
Back to Back with
Mar 2011: Celebrity Infinity, 14 Night South America & Panama Canal (Valparaiso- Ft. Lauderdale)
May 2012: Celebrity Constellation, 15 Night Transatlantic (Ft. Lauderdale to Amsterdam)
November 2012: Celebrity Constellation, 15 Night Transatlantic (Southampton to Miami)
Back to Back with
March 2014: Celebrity Infinity, 15 Night Westbound Panama Canal (Miami to San Diego)

Old October 30th, 2012, 11:09 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by howndder View Post
Welcome aboard Harris, how nice to know you too will be onboard. I'm sorry to hear that Rito won't be joining you, but I'm sure your mom will more than make up for it. Is she too an "Elite"? I suppose we'll be back at our regular table for cocktails? Can't wait to re-meet all the wonderful staff on board the "Connie".

Howard in record breaking cold Fort Lauderdale
Howard, I expect she'll be joining us each afternoon. Can you email me please at: omeinv at comcast dot net

Thanks,

Harris

Sailed:

Back to Back with
Back to Back with
Back to Back with
Back to Back with

Old October 31st, 2012, 09:34 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Beware!

Quote:
Originally Posted by omeinv View Post
Rito and I took the train from La Harve to Paris last spring. The train is the way to go, as it's faster and less expensive than Celebrity's bus excursion. You can get your train tickets in advance, on line. The train station puts you with about 3 metro stops of all the famous sites, so when you get to Paris, simply buy a day pass for the Metro, and they will give you a map.

We had an advantage having been before, so we knew what we wanted to do, and what we weren't going to spend time on. We had plenty of time to do what we wanted, have
lunch, and were still back at the train station with time to
spare.

Harris
Denver, CO
Having spent a month or more in Paris for several years you should be aware that Metro and Rail stikes are common. Several times we would take a train to somewhere only to get there, enjoy the day but find ourselves figuring out how to get back by bus or taxi since an unannouced strike would happen in the afternoon.

Old November 1st, 2012, 06:45 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnjeff View Post
Having spent a month or more in Paris for several years you should be aware that Metro and Rail stikes are common. Several times we would take a train to somewhere only to get there, enjoy the day but find ourselves figuring out how to get back by bus or taxi since an unannouced strike would happen in the afternoon.
Strikes are common enough in all of Europe (Italy seems to be the best place to find them). However, they usually are actually publicized in advance, and I wouldn't let that threat keep me from taking the train to Paris.

Harris
Denver, CO

Sailed:

Back to Back with
Back to Back with
Back to Back with
Back to Back with

Old November 2nd, 2012, 02:25 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindan View Post
Hi all, for those in the aftermath of Sandy, we hope all are OK. We are also in a toss-up over going to Paris. After reading the posts above, we are reconsidering our options, although we too have never been and have always wanted to take it in. We know the pitfalls of trying to see a city of this stature and size in short order, but we thought even if we could take in just a few sights (and some Parisian cuisine) it might be worth braving the bus ride there and back. Are we being too hopeful? Perhaps, but if we never make it back for some reason, would we be able to forgive ourselves for coming this close to the "City of Light" deciding to close our eyes? This is a tough one...
Hi All,

Gregg and Bruce belatedly checking in. We are the mysterious pair that Vindan referred to earlier, having met on a Rome-Ft. Lauderdale T/A last fall. We just arrived back at our winter home in Dallas, after a great summer in the Olympic Peninsula of Washington. This will be our fourth T/A, the second on Celebrity.

We signed up for Select dining, which included prepaid gratuities, so will probably not be joining the group table for late dining. We have loved the flexibility of Select dining in the past on other ships. Of course, that also means a flexible happy hour ....

As for the question of whether it makes sense to try to capture Paris in a day-trip, the answer is obviously, "no." But even a little bit of Paris is worth the effort. We spent four nights there this spring after a T/A on Azamara and would return in a second. In fact, we thought seriously about flying into Paris rather than London for this cruise. If you guys have any flexibility on flghts/time, you might consider flying into Paris and taking the chunnel train into London and then on to Southampton for the cruise.

Meanwhile, we look forward to meeting you all in just a few weeks.

Old November 3rd, 2012, 11:06 AM
Cool Cruiser

Hello and welcome aboard "ghdallas". I too would like to add my 2 cents worth with regards to Paris. If there was nothing to see in "LeHavre" or nearby then yes ok Paris even for a short visit is better than nothing. But, there are several small towns nearby and well worth a visit. I personnaly love going to "Honfluer" which is about 20 minutes from the port and a great place to have "Moule and Frites". Just saying. It's easy to get a driver to bring you there and then come back for you when ever you want. I do however like the idea of flying into Paris and taking the "Chunnel" to connect to Southampton or go to london after Paris for a bit. It only take a little extra cash, ok a lot extra cash.

Looking forward to seeing everyone on board in just a couple of weeks now.

Howard in beyond beautiful weather in Fort Lauderdale

PS: I know several people that were affected by the storm. I wish to also add my well wishes to anyone here that was affected.

Old November 4th, 2012, 07:54 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Sandy

Just wondering how Alfred and David are doing in NYC? Haven't heard from you in a while. Hope you guys are OK. I can imagine it has been tough. It is very strange to be in hurricane country Florida and seeing all the damage in NY, NJ etc.

Old November 4th, 2012, 05:13 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Doing fine

Quote:
Just wondering how Alfred and David are doing in NYC? Haven't heard from you in a while. Hope you guys are OK. I can imagine it has been tough. It is very strange to be in hurricane country Florida and seeing all the damage in NY, NJ etc.
We are doing good. I lost electricity for a few days but no flooding since we are not on the water. It's a disaster around us but only minor problems like no gas, trees down, roads closed, and spotty cell reception.

Thank goodness for this cruise to look forward to and thank you for asking

Glad to see the message board growing!!
Carnival Sunshine 11/01/13 to 11/17/2013 16 days Barcelona to New Orleans
Celebrity Constellation 11/30 to 12/15/12 15 days TA London-Paris-Lisbon-Tenerife-Miami
MSC Poesia 11/10 to 11/14/11 RT FT Lauderdale 19+4=23 days total
MSC Poesia 10/22 to 11/10/11 19 days NYC-Can-Carib-C America-FT Lauderdale
NCL GEM 5/07/11 NYC-NYC
RCI LOS 4/21/11 Barcelona-Nice-Palma-Barcelona
RCI AOS 5/2/10 TA Puerto Rico to Barcelona
RCI IOS 11/23-12/6/09 TA London to Fl
HAL Oosterdam 3/14-4/1/09 TA Fl to Rome
HAL Noordam 4/5-4/2208 TA NYC to Rome
Carnival Miracle 9/24/07 NYC to Caribbean to NYC
NCL Dawn 4/1/07 NYC to Carribbean to NYC
CarnivalLiberty 10/10/06 W Mediterranean from Rome

Old November 8th, 2012, 12:22 PM
Cool Cruiser

Hello all, just wanted to suggest that we, like the main board, might like to meet up in London for perhaps a lunch or pre-theater dinner? I hadn't thought about this before as I'm getting in so early. Would anyone like to meet up on either the 26th or 27th? I am getting into LHR at 705AM and taking the "coach" to Victoria and my hotel and then off to explore. What's everyone else up too?

Howard from bright and gorgeous Fort Lauderdale

Old November 8th, 2012, 08:31 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Have to pass on invitation, getting to London just in time

Quote:
Originally Posted by howndder View Post
Hello all, just wanted to suggest that we, like the main board, might like to meet up in London for perhaps a lunch or pre-theater dinner? I hadn't thought about this before as I'm getting in so early. Would anyone like to meet up on either the 26th or 27th? I am getting into LHR at 705AM and taking the "coach" to Victoria and my hotel and then off to explore. What's everyone else up too?

Howard from bright and gorgeous Fort Lauderdale
David and I arrive 8:00am on 11/30 so have to pass on the great invitation.

Thank you for the thought and I hope others will be able to join you both.

We are just getting over the blizzard here in NYC. Thinking of this cruise is the only thing keeping me going.
Celebrity Constellation 11/30 to 12/15/12 15 days TA London-Paris-Lisbon-Tenerife-Miami
NCL GEM 5/07/11 NYC-NYC

Old November 8th, 2012, 09:08 PM
Cool Cruiser

Smile Drop in drink package price

Quote:
Originally Posted by westirish View Post
I have bought the liquor package for the cabin and a soda package and they work out pretty good on the Century going to Hawaii before. So did the same on this trip also. Good to hear that the ship is nice. Century was wonderful! We are looking forward to be on this ship for the long cruise.
Great news! Celebrity is giving a promotional discount of 10% off the drink package after 11/12.

You can cancel your package up to 4 days before the cruise and order again at the discounted price.

I ordered the classic alcohol package so may just go for the premium given the price drop.

Here is the site to celebrities announcement:

http://www.celebritycruises.com/gene...rage_promotion
NCL GEM 5/07/11 NYC-NYC

Old November 15th, 2012, 07:26 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default 2 week countdown & great weather predicted for embarkation day

Here is the weather forecast for our departure day:

Fri, Nov 30 London UK
Partly sunny & Cool. High = 48°F Low = 39°F wind 5 mph / SW Chance of precipitation = 5%

Fri 30 Nov 2012 Southampton UK
Partly sunny & Cool. 46 degrees wind = 34 mph to 40 mph no rain
NCL GEM 5/07/11 NYC-NYC

Old November 16th, 2012, 09:11 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Weather fortune tellers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by geminitraveler2 View Post
Here is the weather forecast for our departure day:

Fri, Nov 30 London UK
Partly sunny & Cool. High = 48°F Low = 39°F wind 5 mph / SW Chance of precipitation = 5%

Fri 30 Nov 2012 Southampton UK
Partly sunny & Cool. 46 degrees wind = 34 mph to 40 mph no rain
Can they possibly be right this far in advance. I hope their forcasters are better than here in Florida. They can't even look out the window and get the forcast right. In any event it will be what it will be. Nice to get a break from life!

Old November 18th, 2012, 04:18 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default any more for dining together???

Quote:
We are now seven for late dining. I have confirmed this with my travel agent Judy. Her company is sending her on this cruise as an Ambassador so everything should be set. She has sent in our request to Celebrity and will reconfirm with them two weeks before the cruise.

If there are more folks out there who would like to join us please speak up.
Thanks again for setting up the FOD table.

I wonder if any of the recent additions to boards want to join us?

Has Judy made final confirmation? I look forward to having our own table.

Cheers everyone, we are so close to embarkation!!
NCL GEM 5/07/11 NYC-NYC

Old November 24th, 2012, 08:21 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default The final weekend

Time to pack. We leave on Tuesday morning to head to Miami. Have lunch with a friend in Fort Lauderdale then park the car near the port and get a shuttle to the airport. Our flight is at 9:20pm.

I have not heard anything from Judy I will send her a note but assume all is OK.

Pack, pack iron and pack. Everything is pretty much set. Looking forward to the break from real life. Hope the Noro thing is pretty much over but we are bringing the wipe and stuff noted on the other board just to be safe. We have never gotten sick but have run into it on two other cruises. Best to be safe then sorry and locked up in your cabin.

Looking forward to meeting everyone on the Connie. Cocktails 7ish in the Martini??!!