Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > River Cruising

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

River Cruising Find Others on Your River Cruise! River Cruising Roll Calls

Old November 2nd, 2012, 12:42 PM
Cruise Critic Host

Default Colmar-Riquewihr OR Breisach-Freiburg

I posted this on the river cruise ports board, but it was suggested that I should repost here:

AMA offers us a choice of either a walking tour of Colmar and Riquewihr or a walking tour of Breisach and Freiburg.

Any experience with these cities? Suggestions/recommendations?

Thanks.

I am not an employee of Cruise Critic and I don't speak for Cruise Critic. All opinions are mine alone. Also, I'm only a Host on the various River forums -- everywhere else I'm "just plain Jazz."

Just completed:
Walking the Camino de Santiago (4 Star Guided Tour) --
https://jazzbeauxcamino2014.shutterfly.com/pictures/5

Booked:
Celebrity Eclipse Southern Carib 3-1-2015
Celebrity Xpedition Galapagos 5-10-2015
AMA Provence 9-3-2015
Celebrity Constellation Greek Isles 5-31-2016
Azamara Quest Norwegian Fjords 8-11-2016
Norwegian Pride of America Hawaii 10-8-2016

Sailed:
Crystal Serenity Mediterranean 5-7-2014 / Coral Princess Panama Canal 1-19-2014 / AmaCello Rhine 8-30-2013 / Coral Princess Alaska 6-26-2013 / Norwegian Dawn Caribbean 3-3-2013 / Celebrity Summit Caribbean 1-28-2012 / Oceania Insignia Mediterranean 5-17-2011 / Fair Dinkum (Erie Canal bareboat) 7-18-2003 / Costa Italia Caribbean 5-18-1974

Old November 2nd, 2012, 02:03 PM
Cool Cruiser

I know all of these places well and have visited them all many times as I lived in the area for several years. Freiburg is one of my favourite German cities--with a beautiful Gothic Cathedral and town centre that was faithfully rebuilt after the war. Breisach is OK, but nothing special and that stretch of the Rhine where it is located is not very picturesque at all.

I would opt for the Colmar and Riquewihr tour. Colmar is a beautiful large town/small city with a centre filled with half-timbered buildings and Renaissance architecture, criss-crossed by very scenic canals. Riquewihr is a picture-perfect walled wine village with many buildings from the 16th Century. It is home to some of the top Alsatian wine producers including Doppf & Irion, and a good place to buy a bottle or two (as is Colmar).
The only downside to Riquewihr is that in tourist season it can be a bit overwhelming with so many bus tours crowding into town (yours included). A bonus is that you will be travelling on part of the Route du Vin which is picturesque, unlike the road from Breisach to Freiburg (the best scenery in that direction is eastward from Freiburg into the Black Forest hills.)

Either tour will be very interesting, but I do think that the Alsatian tour is the one to choose.

Old November 2nd, 2012, 07:41 PM
Cool Cruiser

I loved Colmar and Riquewihr and would highly recommend that choice. The drive through the vineyard area was beautiful.

Old November 2nd, 2012, 09:07 PM
Cruise Critic Host

Thanks!

I am not an employee of Cruise Critic and I don't speak for Cruise Critic. All opinions are mine alone. Also, I'm only a Host on the various River forums -- everywhere else I'm "just plain Jazz."

Just completed:
Walking the Camino de Santiago (4 Star Guided Tour) --
https://jazzbeauxcamino2014.shutterfly.com/pictures/5

Booked:
Celebrity Eclipse Southern Carib 3-1-2015
Celebrity Xpedition Galapagos 5-10-2015
AMA Provence 9-3-2015
Celebrity Constellation Greek Isles 5-31-2016
Azamara Quest Norwegian Fjords 8-11-2016
Norwegian Pride of America Hawaii 10-8-2016

Sailed:
Crystal Serenity Mediterranean 5-7-2014 / Coral Princess Panama Canal 1-19-2014 / AmaCello Rhine 8-30-2013 / Coral Princess Alaska 6-26-2013 / Norwegian Dawn Caribbean 3-3-2013 / Celebrity Summit Caribbean 1-28-2012 / Oceania Insignia Mediterranean 5-17-2011 / Fair Dinkum (Erie Canal bareboat) 7-18-2003 / Costa Italia Caribbean 5-18-1974