Sharing /Elite question?

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 11:23 PM.
3,664 Posts
Joined Feb 2006
Am Celebrity Elite, considering doing a month cruise with cruisemate, not a close friend. Question is how to handle my benefits, which cost many thousands to reach. Yes,I know cabinmate can be eligible,but I question allowing her to benefit gratis from what cost me so much. Any imput? Thanks.
Moon Township, Pa
23,132 Posts
Joined Oct 2000
I guess I'm not understanding your question. As long as none of these perks are costing you any money, why have a problem? It's just a couple of drinks in the Happy Hour Lounge and a not so great breakfast consisting of some juice and pastries. If you don't want her to get any of the perks, then you go to the Happy Hour and breakfasts by yourself. After that, there's really nothing more that she'll get by rooming with you.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Darcie
Toronto, Canada
3,847 Posts
Joined Mar 2012
Originally posted by zoncom
Am Celebrity Elite, considering doing a month cruise with cruisemate, not a close friend. Question is how to handle my benefits, which cost many thousands to reach. Yes,I know cabinmate can be eligible,but I question allowing her to benefit gratis from what cost me so much. Any imput? Thanks.
Why would you be stingy with benefits that don't cost you anything? Her having access to the lounge for drinks before dinner, or throwing a couple of t-shirts into the laundry bag, doesn't seem like a big deal - it costs you nothing and will be nice for her. Sure, it took a lot to get you to that status, but now that you're there they don't cost you anything - it's not like you're going to overuse the benefits and lose your status. Don't be greedy and share with your friend (IMO)
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Minnesota
1,412 Posts
Joined Oct 2010
If your potential cruise mate is not a close friend, I don't think I would want to start off a 30 day voyage by letting her know I am sorry but you can not join me in any of my benefits because you haven't earned them like I have. That may cause hard feelings and make the whole 30 days a poor trip for both of you. If you were to be the gracious host and allow her to join in with you I think you would both have a much more enjoyable trip. Happy Sailing
Toronto, Canada
3,847 Posts
Joined Mar 2012
Originally posted by travelnap
If your potential cruise mate is not a close friend, I don't think I would want to start off a 30 day voyage by letting her know I am sorry but you can not join me in any of my benefits because you haven't earned them like I have. That may cause hard feelings and make the whole 30 days a poor trip for both of you. If you were to be the gracious host and allow her to join in with you I think you would both have a much more enjoyable trip. Happy Sailing
What a lovely, diplomatic way to say it!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Pismo Beach, CA
1,702 Posts
Joined Jan 2008
Originally posted by travelnap
If your potential cruise mate is not a close friend, I don't think I would want to start off a 30 day voyage by letting her know I am sorry but you can not join me in any of my benefits because you haven't earned them like I have.
And, similarly, while I understand the OP's situation, I don't think it would be appropriate to ask the cruisemate to pay or reimburse for the elevated benefits.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
1 cruise on CCL (Inspiration)
6 cruises on NCL (Star, Pearl, Spirit, Pearl, Dawn, Pearl)
2 cruises on AMHS (Tustumena, Columbia)
3,386 Posts
Joined Nov 2004
"What goes 'round...comes 'round"...share it for heaven's sake!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Life is like an elevator. On your way up, you have to sometimes stop and let some people off.
Ocala, Fl
9,900 Posts
Joined Jul 2002
Isn't having a cabin mate actually SAVING you money, since you don't have to pay a single supplement? I'd share the benefits since Celebrity allows it....if it were a different cruise line (like Royal) that does not allow/encourage cabinmates sharing benefits it would be different...
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

In the end...we only Regret the chances we didn't Take

Karen
Suncoast Florida & Midcoast Maine
1,061 Posts
Joined Jun 2004
Not to mention, looking at it from a purely selfish point of view, if you improve her experience on the cruise by allowing her to share in your elite benefits she is more likely to want to take more cruises...thus giving you a travel partner for future cruises...thus giving you the opportunity for MORE future cruises because of the lower price you will have to pay!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Past cruises:
Celebrity SIlhouette 11/2016
Celebrity Constellation 4/2016
Celebrity Reflection 12/2015
Norwegian Getaway 8/2014
HAL Eurodam 6/2014
Azamara Quest 11/2013
Royal Caribbean Oasis 8/2013
Celebrity Eclipse 4/2013
Celebrity Constellation 11/2012
Norwegian Sky 11/2012
Celebrity Solstice 11/2011
Caribbean Princess 2005
Sapphire Princess 2004
Golden Princess 2003
Golden Princess 2002
Celebrity Century 2001
Brisbane
557 Posts
Joined Jan 2012
I'd recommend that your travelling companion book a solo cabin on a different cruise altogether, that way you won't have to worry about sharing anything with her.