Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Special Interest Cruising > Theme Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Theme Cruises Exchange info about the hot new trend of "theme cruising."

Old October 18th, 2012, 08:42 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Soukous, the closest one to the cruise port is Blue Martini Lounge, which also has lounges in Vegas and other places.

BUT, the 33rd St Wine Bar seems to attract a more mature crowd, but I don't know where that is in relation to our hotel.

pfunk, you'll be the Ft Lauderdale expert should we have questions! What's near your location? I may want to check out some movies, and the theaters I know of at the Galleria are closed for some reason!!!

Past Cruises:
Carnival Victory - 9/11/2011
Serenade of the Seas - 9/4/2011

It's not the places you go; it's the people you meet.

Old October 19th, 2012, 04:49 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Greg View Post
Just wanted to stop by and wish everyone a great cruise. I'm sure it will be great and you will all have a fantastic trip. Wish I could make it, but I have a good friend going so I will get a replay from him.

I wish you all fair winds, following seas and music that dosen't stop. Because it's all about the music.

Travel Safe
Thanks, AZ Greg!!

Old October 29th, 2012, 01:10 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks, AZ Greg! I had a fantastic time, and I hope everyone else did as well.

Old October 31st, 2012, 01:52 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Good afternoon, Capital Jazzers. Hope everyone made it home without much incident.

Did anybody happen to get a good photo of Third World's performance? The local paper might be interested in running a short piece, and my photos from the Q&A aren't that, well, interesting.

Thanks!

Past Cruises:

Old November 5th, 2012, 05:59 PM
Cool Cruiser

Smile Fantastic Time had by All

Hello, fellow cruisers! How was your experience on the Capital Jazz cruise this year? There was a lot to do, but my group of 4 really enjoyed ourselves.

Old November 13th, 2012, 05:11 AM
5,000+ Club

Sounds like ya'll had a great cruise!

1/8/15 Eurodam (Smooth Jazz Cruise)
11/8/14 Breeze (Feelin' the Breeze Part 2)
1/12/14 Eurodam (Smooth Jazz Cruise)
10/10/13 Victory B2B (Victory is Mine)
1/13/13 Westerdam (Smooth Jazz Cruise)
11/24/12 Breeze (Feelin' the Breeze)
1/15/12 Westerdam (Smooth Jazz Cruise)
12/4/11 Miracle (x-mas on the beach)
1/16/11 Noordam (Smooth Jazz Cruise)
9/18/10 Fantasy
9/20/09 Sensation
11/08 Westerdam (Dave Koz & Friends)
2008 Caribbean Princess
10/2/06 Celebration
10/9/05 Destiny
2002 Costa Cruise Line

Old November 15th, 2012, 03:34 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Reviews

So, does anyone want to post a review? Are you going next year?

Old November 16th, 2012, 07:59 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Someone should post a review to help others make a decision, and because you can't find many reviews by googling.

I haven't figured out where to post a review, though, that will show up on google.

Past Cruises:

Old November 19th, 2012, 09:59 AM
Cool Cruiser

Hello,

I had fun but I want be going back next year, maybe in 2 or 3 years. A close friend and her husband that went for the first time (on any full chartered ship) thought it was great, but unorganized and is going back next year. As I ran into people that have cruised the Smooth Jazz Cruise and/or Tom Joyner's cruise they complained about the CJC; if you don't have something to compare it to you'll be much happier. NOTE: Those that cruise Tom J and SJC thought Tom J was the best but had no complaints about SJC, a couple of them are going on the Soul Train cruise that's run by the SJC folks and Time Warner.

MS411 I'm looking forward to your review.

Old November 20th, 2012, 05:27 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

akwaba (sp?), it's hard to do a review for a full charter theme cruise, because in all fairness, the ship and the services provided by the promoter should be reviewed separately (but since the promoter chose that ship, maybe it should be a review of the promoter?)

I don't think I'd go on the Carnival Freedom again if it were FREE - they'd have to pay me. Nothing on that ship that was provided by Carnival made it seem like a special experience. I felt like I was in a cheap, chain hotel and dining at a cheap, all you can eat restaurant. The service was substandard, too, IMO. Not sure if it was because gratuities were pre-paid or that's the norm on this ship.

The Smooth Jazz Cruise uses Holland America. Not sure which ship Tom uses now, but he used to use Royal Caribbean.

I think I'd rather see fewer performers on a ship with better food and service. Capital Jazz may be better able to organize the cruise if they didn't have so many performances and activities going on at one time.

From the very beginning of our booking process, we were not happy with the lack of communication, and communication wasn't coordinated on the ship, and the Fun Times had errors each day. It was very frustrating for me, and made it a stressful vacation.

I also didn't like those concerts on the pool deck, because it's just too hot out there, and I live in the Caribbean so I face heat every day. It was also very difficult to see the musicians, because they were in the shade, so from my view, they were too dark to see well.

They also said we were going to have cooking demonstrations from some celebrity chef, but that didn't happen. I missed the cruise activities I usually do on a cruise.

The musicians and presenters were absolutely fabulous, and I liked the Q&A sessions and Gerald Veasley's Bass Workshops.

I think after this cruise, I prefer to have my musical concerts separate from my cruise experience. I'm hoping to go to the DC Jazz Fest in June 2013, so I can enjoy good music on my own schedule and eat when and where I want, and have a variety of other activities during the day.

Past Cruises: