Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Special Interest Cruising > Gay & Lesbian Cruisers

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Gay & Lesbian Cruisers A Gathering Place for Discussing Your Favorite Cruises.

Old October 15th, 2012, 07:24 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojjodc View Post
I am not really surprised -- the riverboat cruises only have a capacity of 100-150 persons, which is a lot easier to sell than the big cruise ship with 2000 passengers. I would not be surprised if RSVP concentrates more on smaller ship cruises and lets Atlantis do the mega-ship cruises in the future.
I hope not. I think it is very hard to generate enough revenue from a few 150 person sailings to support an operation of RSVP's size. I have to wonder if the entertainment in such a small venue would be up to standards they have set on larger vessels. A big part of the motivation for many is to belong to a mini-community of gay folks for a week - you would lose that sense of community on small ships.

RSVP seems to have focused on mid-size ships, almost exclusively Holland America Lines. With about 2000 gay-campers on board, I find this hits the mark for me - not too small to be boring, not too large to feel disconnected or lost.

It was clearly a mistake to book New Orleans for early February, way too cold to be of interest for a winter getaway. I hope with their marketing efforts they can fill the Eurodam to near capacity with the new itinerary. Each time I check, the list of available staterooms is shrinking.

Old October 15th, 2012, 09:23 PM
Cool Cruiser

In addition to the riverboat cruises, RSVP is doing an Alaska cruise from July 21 through 28th. I had gotten an e-mail about it from a travel agent, and RSVP was at Atlanta gay pride this weekend, and the guy at the booth confirmed it. They also mentioned it in one of the promotional flyers they were handing out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaRosaCruiser View Post
I hope not. I think it is very hard to generate enough revenue from a few 150 person sailings to support an operation of RSVP's size. I have to wonder if the entertainment in such a small venue would be up to standards they have set on larger vessels. A big part of the motivation for many is to belong to a mini-community of gay folks for a week - you would lose that sense of community on small ships.

RSVP seems to have focused on mid-size ships, almost exclusively Holland America Lines. With about 2000 gay-campers on board, I find this hits the mark for me - not too small to be boring, not too large to feel disconnected or lost.

It was clearly a mistake to book New Orleans for early February, way too cold to be of interest for a winter getaway. I hope with their marketing efforts they can fill the Eurodam to near capacity with the new itinerary. Each time I check, the list of available staterooms is shrinking.

Last edited by geekguy75; October 15th, 2012 at 09:39 PM. Reason: add a picture

Old October 15th, 2012, 09:49 PM
Cool Cruiser

Here's the flyer RSVP was giving out at pride.

Old October 29th, 2012, 04:54 PM
Cool Cruiser

Question Alaska vs. Atlantis October 2013 Cruise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekguy75 View Post
Here's the flyer RSVP was giving out at pride.

The Halloween Atlantis Cruise to the Mexican Riviera is on right now (It departed yesterday). I enjoyed their cruise a couple of years ago, and am considering something similar, although I might go on the RSVP Alaska Cruise even though it is the identical itinerary as a few years ago.

I was wondering if any of you have received emails from the cruisers on the Atlantis sailing with a "heads-up" on next years offerings. If you have, I'd love to hear about it as soon as possible.

Thanks!

Peter

Old October 30th, 2012, 02:52 PM
Cool Cruiser

Hi Peter,

From the Atlantis Alumni boards, besides the already available 2013 itineraries of Asia, Australia, and Caribbean cruise in February and March, here are the latest itineraries that were offered to people who were on board the last med cruise.

Europe:

(End of August - Don't have dates in front of me) - Venice to Rome - Celebrity Silhouette - Ports: Dubrovnik, Montenegro, Rhodes, Mykonos, Santorini, Naples and Ajaccio

(Dates: 09/05 - 09/15 - 10 days) - Amsterdam to Barcelona - Celebrity Constellation. Ports: Bordeaux, Bilbao, La Coruna (Santiago de Compostela), Lisbon (overnight), Cadiz, Ibiza (overnight) and Barcelona.

The ones above are confirmed as they were able to book on board. Not available to alumni or general sale yet.

There's also talk on the boards stating that Rich is also interested in doing another Seabourn cruise but no itinerary as of yet.

The October one from the last conversation seems to be up in the air, but people coming off of this week's cruise may have more information as it may be announced then. A survey was sent out a few weeks ago with three possible different itineraries:

1. 7-night cruise from New Orleans for Halloween 2013.
Sailing after the big New Orleans Halloween Party, departing Sunday night.
On the 2100-guest NCL Jewel.
Ports: Cozumel – Grand Cayman – Key West
Fares from: $599 Inside, $899 Outside, $1199 Balcony, $1599 Suite

2. 7-night cruise from Los Angeles in October 2013 on Carnival Miracle
The 2100-guest Miracle is the newest of the Carnival "Spirit-Class" ships and is packed with new features.
Ports: Cabo San Lucas – Puerto Vallarta
Fares from: $599 inside, $899 Outside, $999 Balcony

3. 7-night cruise from Port Canaveral (Orlando) in November 2013
On the 3700-guest Freedom of the Seas.
Ports: San Juan - Private Island - St. Maarten
Fares from: $999 inside, $1299 Outside, $1499 Balcony

This one is going to be interesting as I hope they don't give up the last remaining west coast cruise. But I can understand that the ship choices are becoming slim pickings. I believe I read that even the Carnival Splendor that they used for this years cruise is being repositioned next year.

Atlantis - Rome to Istanbul (Civitavecchia, Catania, Naples, Mykonos, Santorini, Crete, Bodrum, Kusadasi, Istanbul)

Previous:

Atlantis - Bail to Singapore (Benoa, Celukan Bawang, Borobudur, Kuala Lumpur, Phuket, Singapore)
Youtube Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Uu4mx1w63s

Atlantis - New Zealand to Australia (Auckland, Wellington, Akaroa, Melbourne, Sydney arrival for Mardi Gras)
Youtube Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2ecHaOuQfM

RSVP - Eastern Caribbean - HAL - Nieuw Amsterdam February 12, 2012 -(Ft. Lauderdale, San Juan, St. Thomas, Half Moon Cay)

Old October 31st, 2012, 03:12 PM
Cool Cruiser

Smile Atlantis - Fall 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by absolutboy20 View Post
Hi Peter,

The October one from the last conversation seems to be up in the air, but people coming off of this week's cruise may have more information as it may be announced then. A survey was sent out a few weeks ago with three possible different itineraries:

1. 7-night cruise from New Orleans for Halloween 2013.
Sailing after the big New Orleans Halloween Party, departing Sunday night.
On the 2100-guest NCL Jewel.
Ports: Cozumel – Grand Cayman – Key West
Fares from: $599 Inside, $899 Outside, $1199 Balcony, $1599 Suite

2. 7-night cruise from Los Angeles in October 2013 on Carnival Miracle
The 2100-guest Miracle is the newest of the Carnival "Spirit-Class" ships and is packed with new features.
Ports: Cabo San Lucas – Puerto Vallarta
Fares from: $599 inside, $899 Outside, $999 Balcony

3. 7-night cruise from Port Canaveral (Orlando) in November 2013
On the 3700-guest Freedom of the Seas.
Ports: San Juan - Private Island - St. Maarten
Fares from: $999 inside, $1299 Outside, $1499 Balcony

This one is going to be interesting as I hope they don't give up the last remaining west coast cruise. But I can understand that the ship choices are becoming slim pickings. I believe I read that even the Carnival Splendor that they used for this years cruise is being repositioned next year.
Thanks for the info, that's really nice of you! The LA/Cabo-PV cruise sounds interesting - what will be strange for me is that ALL of my cruises have been on Holland America so far (even the same stateroom, often). Might be time to exit my "comfort zone" and try a new line. I definitely don't want to travel to Florida for my 2nd cruise of the year, once is quite enough (I don't enjoy the long flight back to SFO, it seems to take an eternity). So it will be either Alaska in July on RSVP or October to Mexico on Atlantis for me!

Will you be onboard for the RSVP Feb 2013 Cruise? If so, I'd like to introduce myself at the CC meet and greet!

Peter

Old October 31st, 2012, 06:08 PM
Cool Cruiser

Peter:

Unfortunately I won't be on the RSVP cruise in February =( We were one of the groups on board who were on this year's Caribbean cruise, but the original itinerary didn't appeal to us, and booked an Atlantis cruise as a substitute. I also missed the CC meet and greet this year as I overslept on the pool deck, and also forgot to adjust the time on my watch.

I would love to be on the revised itinerary, but two trips in February would be out of the question. My dream cruise of Venice to Rome on Atlantis is happening next year, but even with them spaced apart would be too big of a hit to the pocket.

It's funny how perceptions can be different when flying. I felt getting there non-stop from SFO - FLL on Virgin took an eternity, and coming back even though it's takes longer went by faster.

I'm with you on the HAL ships as in terms of wanting to try a different cruise line. The Vista and Signature class layouts are too similar to each other IMHO, and I think other cruise lines are offering much more interesting takes on layouts of their ship and restaurants.

Atlantis - Rome to Istanbul (Civitavecchia, Catania, Naples, Mykonos, Santorini, Crete, Bodrum, Kusadasi, Istanbul)

Previous:

Atlantis - Bail to Singapore (Benoa, Celukan Bawang, Borobudur, Kuala Lumpur, Phuket, Singapore)
Youtube Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Uu4mx1w63s

Atlantis - New Zealand to Australia (Auckland, Wellington, Akaroa, Melbourne, Sydney arrival for Mardi Gras)
Youtube Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2ecHaOuQfM

RSVP - Eastern Caribbean - HAL - Nieuw Amsterdam February 12, 2012 -(Ft. Lauderdale, San Juan, St. Thomas, Half Moon Cay)

Old November 5th, 2012, 02:01 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Atlantis - Next Fall (2013)

From the Atlantis Alumni comments, it looks like it will be:

Carnival Miracle, November 10-17, 2013.

-Peter

Old November 11th, 2012, 01:24 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thumbs down Alaska Cancelled?

The RSVP July Alaska Cruise is no longer showing up on their website. Does anyone here know if it was cancelled, or is it still a go?
Andrew

Old November 13th, 2012, 01:51 PM
Cool Cruiser

Smile Alaska is a Go!

I just spoke to Nick at RSVP who informed me the their Alaska Cruise in July is a go. They are firming up pricing now and will be send E-mails out to Travel Agents and Alumni by December 1st.
Andrew

Old November 29th, 2012, 04:28 PM
Cool Cruiser

The e-mails have gone out to alumni now, including prices.

Old December 2nd, 2012, 07:36 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default HAL Booking Numbers

Final Payment was made a few weeks ago. Did anyone get their HAL booking number so we can start booking shore excursions and complete the online registration?

Old December 2nd, 2012, 11:46 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonV View Post
Final Payment was made a few weeks ago. Did anyone get their HAL booking number so we can start booking shore excursions and complete the online registration?
They will send out information about that a couple of weeks before the cruise. Excursion and other bookings open at a specific date and time and that is announced too.

Future Cruise:
RSVP Regal Princess Feb 8 2015 Western Caribbean
Past Cruises:
RSVP Caribbean Fantasy - Caribbean Princess Feb 2007
RSVP Alaska Gold Rush - Amsterdam Sep 2007
RSVP Exotic Caribbean - Zuiderdam Feb 2008
RSVP Eastern Caribbean - Eurodam Feb 2009
Lewis R. French Schooner in Maine - July2009
Labor Day Getaway (Pied Piper) - QM2 Sep 2009
RSVP Southern Caribbean - Eurodam Feb 2010
RSVP Hawaii - Pride of America Oct 2010
RSVP Eastern Caribbean - Nieuw Amsterdam Feb 2012
RSVP Southern Caribbean - Eurodam Feb 2013
RSVP Divina Caribbean - MSC Divina Feb 2014

Old December 3rd, 2012, 06:35 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thumbs up Just Booked the Alaska Cruise on the Oosterdam

Haven't done Alaska before and the RT Seattle airfare from SF won't break the bank. Cancelled the Atlantis Silhouette cruise in August from Venice to Rome for this one. Should be fun, and I'm sure someone will begin a Roll Call Thread eventually. Hope it sells out!

For those who have been on Alaska cruises - what's the expected weather and wardrobe for late July? Can't image there'll be much in-pool activity, but....

RSVP - several Caribbean cruises in the early '90s (anyone remember the Sea Spirit?) and Mexican Riviera in '96
Atlantis - BsAs/Rio on Oceania's Insignia '07
Atlantis - London/Barcelona on Celebrity's Constellation '08
Atlantis - Tahiti on Regent's Paul Gauguin '09
Atlantis - Auckland/Sydney on HAL's Volendam '10
Atlantis - Venice/Athens on Celebrity's Equinox '10
RSVP - Barcelona/Barcelona on HAL's Nieuw Amsterdam '11
Atlantis - Istanbul/Athens on Seabourn's Quest '12
Atlantis - Singapore/Hong Kong on Celebrity's Millenium '13
RSVP - Alaska (Seattle/Seattle) on HAL's Oosterdam '13
Atlantis - Southern Caribbean on Celebrity's Summit '14
Atlantis - Caribbean on Celebrity's Silhouette '15

Old December 3rd, 2012, 09:43 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfgoguy View Post
Haven't done Alaska before and the RT Seattle airfare from SF won't break the bank. Cancelled the Atlantis Silhouette cruise in August from Venice to Rome for this one. Should be fun, and I'm sure someone will begin a Roll Call Thread eventually. Hope it sells out!

For those who have been on Alaska cruises - what's the expected weather and wardrobe for late July? Can't image there'll be much in-pool activity, but....
Well, the Oosterdam does have a retractable roof on one of their pools!

Old December 4th, 2012, 12:08 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfgoguy View Post
It is Alaska... you will have weather!

The 2007 RSVP Alaska cruise was the second week of September. Juneau was rainy and cold (50's IIRC), Glacier Bay was 39°F and Sitka and Ketchikan was sunny with blue skies and in the 70's.

The Lido pool has a retractable roof and was closed (or mostly closed) on cold days. Leaving Sitka and Ketchikan (midday) we were lounging (and swimming) in the aft pool that is open. I came home with a sun tan.

They key to Alaska is to dress in layers; you may have to remove layers as the day progresses. Do take gloves and hat, and a warm/wind/water resistant jacket. It can get cold around the glaciers.

Future Cruise:
Past Cruises:

Old December 4th, 2012, 06:21 PM
Cool Cruiser

Smile

I don't recall much sun at all on that trip. I do remember some exciting swells, it was quite a ride. I found out that I am not prone to motion sickness, which I gather is a blessing.

Most of the events, including theme parties, were held indoors, either in the theater or in the Crows Nest. There was quite a bit of activity in the Disco.

I have videos of the water splashing out of the pool, it was quite dramatic!

Weather may be better this trip since it starts MUCH earlier in the season.

Last edited by SantaRosaCruiser; December 4th, 2012 at 06:22 PM.

Old December 4th, 2012, 11:58 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaRosaCruiser View Post
I don't recall much sun at all on that trip.
Which trip?

Future Cruise:
Past Cruises:

Old December 5th, 2012, 01:10 AM
Cool Cruiser

Smile Alaska Roll Call Started

Peter-

We have booked Alaska along with Phil & Preston and Tom & Phong. I started an RSVP Alaska roll call yesterday. Ready to go again? We haven't been since 2007 RSVP Alaska Gold Rush.

Everyone else-this was a great trip in 2007. Peter is correct, we did have some weather. Cold and rain in Glacier Bay but Holland America does it with style. They provide blankets with the deck chairs and serve hot pea soup and..., and..., oh Peter, you love your cocktails, what was it they served? A warm toddy of some sort?

But even July in Alaska can have some of these days.

Future:

Past:

HAL Oosterdam, RSVP Alaska, July 2013
=X= Eclipse, Pied Piper Post Thanksgiving Caribbean, Nov 2011
NCL Pride of Aloha, RSVP Hawai’i, Oct 2010
HAL Eurodam, RSVP Caribbean, Feb 2010
HAL Eurodam, RSVP Caribbean, Feb 2009
HAL Zuiderdam, RSVP Exotic Caribbean, Feb 2008
HAL Amsterdam, RSVP Alaska Gold Rush, Sept 2007
Caribbean Princess, RSVP Caribbean Fantasy, Feb 2007
HAL Westerdam, RSVP Panama, March 2006
Sun Princess, Eastern Caribbean, March 2005
Grand Princess, Mexico, March 2004
Cruise Ship - Ticker

Last edited by jimnbillnpa; December 5th, 2012 at 01:20 AM.

Old December 5th, 2012, 08:41 AM
10,000+ Club

We are planning a trip to Thailand next year so Alaska isn't possible.

We only had hot chocolate and pea soup, no cocktails. It seemed as though you could get coffee with various types of alcohol in it.

Future Cruise:
Past Cruises:

Last edited by Boytjie; December 5th, 2012 at 08:42 AM.