Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Special Interest Cruising > Family Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Family Cruises Cruising with kids? Best Family Cruise Advice
Cruise Critic's Family Cruising Resources
Traveling with kids? Best Family Travel Advice
Family Vacation Critic's Family Travel Site

Old November 12th, 2012, 06:01 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Default Middle Schoolers and Europe

My son is 12- for those of you who have done Europe with middle school age children- were there any books that you found helpful and interesting to them. We will be in Spain and Italy.
Past cruises: Norwegian Pearl Pacific Coast 5/3/2014 My Birthday! Celebrity Solstice Alaska 5/8/2014Enchantment of the Seas 12/6/13 Bahamas, Grand Princess Alaska 7/19/13, Celebrity Solstice California Coast 5/13, Serenade of the Seas Western Med (1/4/13)Celebrity Summit Bermuda(8/12/12),Celebrity Infinity Alaska 7/6/12
Caribbean Princess New England (8/11), Holland America Maasdam New England (6/11)Celebrity Equinox Norway (7/09), Royal Caribbean Independence of the Seas (4/09) Grand Princess British Isles (08) Holland America Zuiderdam Greece/ Turkey (08) Oceania Regatta Caribbean Southern Caribbean (08) QM2 Transatlantic (07) Celebrity Millenium Western Med (7/07), Royal Caribbean Radiance of the Seas Eastern Caribbean(4/06), Disney Wonder Bahamas (8/05), Celebrity Constellation (4/06), Sapphire Princess Alaska (5/24/05) Celebrity Millenium Transatlantic (5/1/05), NCL Spirit Eastern Caribbean (3/05), Celebrity Galaxy (10/04), Carnival Victory (6/04), Celebrity Zenith Bermuda (10/01), Celebrity Zenith Eastern Caribbean (4/01),NCL Dynasty (12/00) NCL Sky Alaska (7/00), NCL Wind Alaska (5/98), Crown Princess Pacific repo (5/98), Royal Sovereign of the Seas Bahamas (10/97), Costa Victoria Western Caribbean (3/97), Crown Princess Alaska (6/96), Vera Cruz Christmas (1981), Holland America Volendam Christmas (1980), Holland America Veendam Christmas (1975).

Upcoming cruises:Celebrity Constellation 8/9/15

Old November 12th, 2012, 06:51 PM
Cool Cruiser

Check out The Roman Mysteries series by Carol Lawrence, depending on the reading level of your son. These books are really fun, but if your son is an advanced reader, they might be a bit too elementary for him. Have fun!

Old November 15th, 2012, 10:50 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Thanks epixx!
Past cruises: Norwegian Pearl Pacific Coast 5/3/2014 My Birthday! Celebrity Solstice Alaska 5/8/2014Enchantment of the Seas 12/6/13 Bahamas, Grand Princess Alaska 7/19/13, Celebrity Solstice California Coast 5/13, Serenade of the Seas Western Med (1/4/13)Celebrity Summit Bermuda(8/12/12),Celebrity Infinity Alaska 7/6/12
Caribbean Princess New England (8/11), Holland America Maasdam New England (6/11)Celebrity Equinox Norway (7/09), Royal Caribbean Independence of the Seas (4/09) Grand Princess British Isles (08) Holland America Zuiderdam Greece/ Turkey (08) Oceania Regatta Caribbean Southern Caribbean (08) QM2 Transatlantic (07) Celebrity Millenium Western Med (7/07), Royal Caribbean Radiance of the Seas Eastern Caribbean(4/06), Disney Wonder Bahamas (8/05), Celebrity Constellation (4/06), Sapphire Princess Alaska (5/24/05) Celebrity Millenium Transatlantic (5/1/05), NCL Spirit Eastern Caribbean (3/05), Celebrity Galaxy (10/04), Carnival Victory (6/04), Celebrity Zenith Bermuda (10/01), Celebrity Zenith Eastern Caribbean (4/01),NCL Dynasty (12/00) NCL Sky Alaska (7/00), NCL Wind Alaska (5/98), Crown Princess Pacific repo (5/98), Royal Sovereign of the Seas Bahamas (10/97), Costa Victoria Western Caribbean (3/97), Crown Princess Alaska (6/96), Vera Cruz Christmas (1981), Holland America Volendam Christmas (1980), Holland America Veendam Christmas (1975).

Upcoming cruises:Celebrity Constellation 8/9/15

Old November 15th, 2012, 11:56 PM
10,000+ Club

By middle school the kids can read the different travel guides- Fodor's, Lonely Planet, Rick Steve's etc. The cruiseline info is a good place to start.

There are also many videos on the internet.

Old November 16th, 2012, 08:46 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Check out flickr.com for photos - put the name of the city / attraction in the search line. Great way to see non-commercial photos of an area.

Also Google Earth is a neat way to see what's there. You can even set it so it shows the location of restaurants, etc.

Old November 16th, 2012, 11:52 AM
Cool Cruiser

For that age, I like the "Top 10" books put out by DK. My daughter used them last year to pick out where she wanted to go when we went to Rome.

There are different versions of "Then & Now" type of books that are great for some of the ancient ruins you might come across. Helps to visually what the ruins looked like when they weren't so, uh, ruined.

Old November 16th, 2012, 03:18 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Default What a great age to explore Europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dijid View Post
For that age, I like the "Top 10" books put out by DK. My daughter used them last year to pick out where she wanted to go when we went to Rome.

There are different versions of "Then & Now" type of books that are great for some of the ancient ruins you might come across. Helps to visually what the ruins looked like when they weren't so, uh, ruined.
Second on the DK books. They usually have a nice history and time line section in them. I like the pictures and illustrations too.

You may look for Biographies of important historical figures that have to do with the places you'll be visiting. You could choose Historic Mediterranean figures who played an important part in the Punic wars as Spain and Italy figured prominently. Hamilcar Barca, Hannibal, and Publius Cornelius Scipio Africanus. You could also look at books about some of the famous artist like Davinci, Michael Angelo, Titian, Bernini ect. You could even make a game of finding art from these masters.

Food it another way to catch the interest of middle schoolers. Get a regional Italian cookbook with lots of anecdotes and illustrations. That way he'll know what to look for when dining out.

My middle schoolers love Barcelona and Rome. They didn't want to visit any "boring museums", so we just visited the museums that these two cities really are... everything you'd find in a museum, they just didn't realize it.

Bon Vivant -76
World Renaissance - 78
Boheme - 79
Stattendam - 80
Fair Sea - 81
Rotterdam - 93
Mercury - 03
Infinity 11/20/05
Mercury 11/20/06
Mercury 6/15/07 Alaska
Summit 11/29/08 Transatlantic
Solstice 11/2009 Rome to Ft. Lauderdale!
Equinox 2010 Ultimate Caribbean
Silhouette March BTB East/West Caribbean 2013
Silhouette Feb 2014 - Wine Maker's Cruise
Vision of the Seas Dec 2014 -Western Caribbean
Solstice June 19th, 2015 Wine Maker's Cruise to Alaska

Old November 16th, 2012, 03:54 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeccalouiseagain View Post
My son is 12- for those of you who have done Europe with middle school age children- were there any books that you found helpful and interesting to them. We will be in Spain and Italy.
I was really successful going to Amazon - they have a search function where you can submit the general age of your child and then put in a search word - I found age appropriate books for most of the cities or countries we were going to.

Best,
Mia