Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Special Interest Cruising > Disabled Cruise Travel

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Disabled Cruise Travel Cruisers with physical limitations share their advice & experiences.
Cruise Critic Disabled Cruise Resources

Old November 16th, 2012, 02:06 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine426 View Post
Mother Wars...how fun. I am blessed to have my mom. I called her the laundry fairy this summer. While I was at the hospital with Rich she would come by the house, do my laundry, fix a meal and then just leave. I guess there will be an extra present under the Christmas Tree for the laundry fairy.

On another note: I had Mackey home for the day. Met Rich and Terri for lunch with Mackey. Rich is still using a wheelchair part time, so he held his leash as we manuvered the chair around the restaurant. Of course mackey looked like a pro. I imagine he will be graduating in January. I think I will have to take a break from fostering until Rich is stronger and more independent.
Sunshine, So glad to hear from you and it sounds like Rich is doing well. We all know that things take time and we have to be patient. Wishing you the best.

Old November 16th, 2012, 02:09 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-of-roz View Post
I love these big masculine, male dogs who sit patiently waiting for their foo-foo collars. Horton and Brenny are so good about me dressing them!

Ken, the trainer at CCI in Santa Rosa, begged me not to make him look too silly! Yeah, like I listened.

Did you get your Holiday Companion [the CCI magazine]? Go to page 10 and you'll see Horty and me at our graduation. He looks like a giant lamb.
We did not get the magazine but I just went online and saw it. Awesome pic of you two, I love it!!!! How special you got your own page.

Old November 16th, 2012, 02:17 PM
Cool Cruiser

John is at his dentist appt so I took the time to make some appointments. Hair next week, pedicure and Wexlers vet for the health certificate. John will take care of his own hair, and his pills which are not to be refilled til the 10th so he's going to have to talk to the pharmacy about that.

Old November 16th, 2012, 02:20 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangeley View Post
We did not get the magazine but I just went online and saw it. Awesome pic of you two, I love it!!!!
Thanks. He looks like a big, black lamb [when he puts his elephant ears down.] Crazy about my boy!

Thank you CCI for the best Successor match in the world!

Old November 16th, 2012, 02:25 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
John is at his dentist appt so I took the time to make some appointments. Hair next week, pedicure and Wexlers vet for the health certificate. John will take care of his own hair, and his pills which are not to be refilled til the 10th so he's going to have to talk to the pharmacy about that.
3 weeks away.......It's getting close to "crunch" time! I'm so excited for you.

Old November 17th, 2012, 03:32 PM
Cool Cruiser

Hi again - hope everyone is doing well and great to see some upcoming cruises... can't wait to hear the stories!

I need to pick some brains... i'm out of my element to some degree

We have 2 more joining us on the Hawaii cruise - we're up to 10 now! The latest additions are my 2 aunts (49 and 54) the younger had a below knee amp a year ago & I managed to snag an accessible stateroom (only one left on the ship!). They've never cruised before so I was hard pressed to get the "book now, think later" mentality in their heads when accessible rooms are concerned but I finally succeeded. Is there anything that we need to send / fill out etc at this stage?? I'd hate to not know I had to do something and end up getting bumped from the cabin!

In hindsight I should have used my email in the booking rather than theirs so I could filter the information but I didn't. Was more concerned with quickly releasing the courtesy hold I put on the cabin and rebooking it without losing it at the time! The 2 of them did Disney in September so i'm not worried about the plane/hotel aspect - they can deal with that but the cruise is going to be all on me LOL

Already Sailed:

April 27, 2014 NCL Dawn Southern Caribbean Repo
May 11, 2013 Rhapsody of the Seas Hawaii to Vancouver Repo
Apr 14, 2012 Oasis of the Seas
Jan 30, 2012 Liberty of the Seas (B2B part II)
Jan 26, 2012 Liberty of the Seas (B2B part I)
Dec 5, 2010 Allure of the Seas Inaugural
Apr 19, 2010 Grandeur of the Seas
Dec 5, 2009 Oasis of the Seas Inaugural

Old November 17th, 2012, 05:19 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth C View Post
Hi again - hope everyone is doing well and great to see some upcoming cruises... can't wait to hear the stories!

I need to pick some brains... i'm out of my element to some degree

We have 2 more joining us on the Hawaii cruise - we're up to 10 now! The latest additions are my 2 aunts (49 and 54) the younger had a below knee amp a year ago & I managed to snag an accessible stateroom (only one left on the ship!). They've never cruised before so I was hard pressed to get the "book now, think later" mentality in their heads when accessible rooms are concerned but I finally succeeded. Is there anything that we need to send / fill out etc at this stage?? I'd hate to not know I had to do something and end up getting bumped from the cabin!

In hindsight I should have used my email in the booking rather than theirs so I could filter the information but I didn't. Was more concerned with quickly releasing the courtesy hold I put on the cabin and rebooking it without losing it at the time! The 2 of them did Disney in September so i'm not worried about the plane/hotel aspect - they can deal with that but the cruise is going to be all on me LOL

Hi Beth, I don't know what cruiseline you are going on but your aunts should get an SRI(special requirements) form to fill out and send back.

Cindy

Old November 17th, 2012, 05:22 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-of-roz View Post
3 weeks away.......It's getting close to "crunch" time! I'm so excited for you.
I'm still pretty calm now, but I expect that to change soon.

Old November 17th, 2012, 07:15 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Hi Beth, I don't know what cruiseline you are going on but your aunts should get an SRI(special requirements) form to fill out and send back.

Cindy
We'll be on Royal Caribbean again... I did fill out a thing on the website already that asked about what accessible amenities you require and if you're bringing on a wheelchair/scooter etc so maybe that's it... Seems too easy lol

Sent from my Speak & Spell using Tapatalk

Already Sailed:

April 27, 2014 NCL Dawn Southern Caribbean Repo
May 11, 2013 Rhapsody of the Seas Hawaii to Vancouver Repo
Apr 14, 2012 Oasis of the Seas
Jan 30, 2012 Liberty of the Seas (B2B part II)
Jan 26, 2012 Liberty of the Seas (B2B part I)
Dec 5, 2010 Allure of the Seas Inaugural
Apr 19, 2010 Grandeur of the Seas
Dec 5, 2009 Oasis of the Seas Inaugural

Old November 17th, 2012, 08:50 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
We'll be on Royal Caribbean again... I did fill out a thing on the website already that asked about what accessible amenities you require and if you're bringing on a wheelchair/scooter etc so maybe that's it... Seems too easy lol

Maybe that was it. On Holland America they send it to us after we booked, but I'm sure each line does it different.

Old November 17th, 2012, 11:30 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:

The cabin you booked is yours. They will NOT move you out of it. Especially if that cabin is an HC. If you're worried about that you can call the "Special Access" Dept. of RC and double check with them.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Horton Jeffrey laying in his bed at work.

1984-RCCL~1985-RCCL~1995-RCCL~1996~Carnival~1997-Carnival~2002-Celebrity~2002-Princess~2003-Princess~2003-Princess~2004-NCL~2004-HAL~2004-Carnival~2005-Princess~2005-Princess~2005-Carnival~2006-HAL~2006-Princess~2006-Princess~2007~HAL-2007~2007-Oceana~2008-Princess~2008-Princess~2009-Carnival~2009-Princess~2010-Carnival~2010-Princess~2011-Princess~2012-Princess~2012-Princess~2013-Princess~2013-Princess~2014-Princess

Old November 17th, 2012, 11:52 PM
Cool Cruiser

I wrote a whole story about what happened to us tonight at a Souplantation restaurant and then I hit a button and it all went "poof!"

The short of it is: The cashier told me that "pets are not allowed in the restaurant" and he wouldn't accept my payment. I told him to call the manager-she observed Horton's Vest and said,"it's okay but [and, she was looking right into my eyes] the dog can not eat off our dishes or bark in the restaurant."] I said, "you did not say that to me!" I went to to a table, walked back to the cashier and said send the manager over to me. I told her she was out of line and what she said was innappropriate.

One half hour later a woman comes walking by with a German Shephard puppy, who was tugging and pulling on it's leash. Another patron complained, the woman showed a card that said the dog was a "Therapy Dog." I said Therapy Dogs do NOT have public access.

I told the manager that she needed to go on line and get the information from the DOJ and ADA. She said she was going to have an all staff mtg. next week to discuss Service Dogs and who is allowed into the restaurant and who is not.

This similar thing happened to me and Brenda at a Souplantation, in a different area, about 5 years ago. After I called the police, they confronted the manager, we ate dinner and I dealt with the Corporate office the next day......the Manager was fired.

Ten years later; a Successor Dog and I'm still dealing with access problems. I'm going to deal with the Sweet Tomato's Corporate office on Monday, I'm going to call CCI's Graduate Dept., and I'm going to contact IAADP.

TO THE PUBLIC: TRAIN YOUR STAFF. TEACH YOUR EMPLOYEE'S AND STOP BEING IGNORANT ABOUT THE SERVICE DOG.

DAMN THE PEOPLE WHO ABUSE OUR RIGHTS BY BRINGING THEIR UNTRAINED DOGS INTO THE PUBLIC VENUE......THEY RUIN IT FOR US!!!!

1984-RCCL~1985-RCCL~1995-RCCL~1996~Carnival~1997-Carnival~2002-Celebrity~2002-Princess~2003-Princess~2003-Princess~2004-NCL~2004-HAL~2004-Carnival~2005-Princess~2005-Princess~2005-Carnival~2006-HAL~2006-Princess~2006-Princess~2007~HAL-2007~2007-Oceana~2008-Princess~2008-Princess~2009-Carnival~2009-Princess~2010-Carnival~2010-Princess~2011-Princess~2012-Princess~2012-Princess~2013-Princess~2013-Princess~2014-Princess

Last edited by Rolls Royce Lover; November 17th, 2012 at 11:56 PM.

Old November 18th, 2012, 01:46 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Roz: I wish I could make all ignorant people who have the ability to educate their staff, oh and themselves to get with the program with a wave of a wand. It must get old. Fortunately, I have not had an incident with my disabled hanging tag in a long time.

Old November 18th, 2012, 05:03 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.S. Cruisers View Post
Roz: I wish I could make all ignorant people who have the ability to educate their staff, oh and themselves to get with the program with a wave of a wand. It must get old. Fortunately, I have not had an incident with my disabled hanging tag in a long time.
Thanks Nancy, I appreciate you support. I'm still seething!

Old November 18th, 2012, 07:19 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolls Royce Lover View Post
Thanks Nancy, I appreciate you support. I'm still seething!

Sorry to hear the trouble you had Roz, but unfortunately, there is always someone out there that do these things. I think I would cross that restaurant off my list. But still write to the home office.

Hope you have a better day today.
Carnival -Miracle 2004
Carnival -Liberty 11/12/2005
Carnival -Fantasy 4/29/2006
Carnival -Sensation 11/26/2006
Carnival -Freedom Thanksgiving 2008
Carnival -Dream 12/03/09 first time out of
PC
CARNIVAL DREAM 1/08/11
Carnival Dream 2/22/2014
Carnival Freedon 2/25/2012
Carnival Ecstasy 4/28/12
Carnival Freedon 10/05/2013
Oceanic ( Big Red Boat )

Canaveral 1995

RCL Sovereign of the Seas
RCL Mariner of the Seas 11/11/07
RCL Monarch of the Seas 9/07/09
RCL Jewel of the Seas 5/11/13
RCL Enchantment of the Sea 4/28/2914

NCL Pride of Aloha 4/08/07

Celebrity Equinox 4/22/11

Holland American Westerdam 12/2-16/2012

Old November 18th, 2012, 08:56 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
I wrote a whole story about what happened to us tonight at a Souplantation restaurant and then I hit a button and it all went "poof!"

The short of it is: The cashier told me that "pets are not allowed in the restaurant" and he wouldn't accept my payment. I told him to call the manager-she observed Horton's Vest and said,"it's okay but [and, she was looking right into my eyes] the dog can not eat off our dishes or bark in the restaurant."] I said, "you did not say that to me!" I went to to a table, walked back to the cashier and said send the manager over to me. I told her she was out of line and what she said was innappropriate.

One half hour later a woman comes walking by with a German Shephard puppy, who was tugging and pulling on it's leash. Another patron complained, the woman showed a card that said the dog was a "Therapy Dog." I said Therapy Dogs do NOT have public access.

I told the manager that she needed to go on line and get the information from the DOJ and ADA. She said she was going to have an all staff mtg. next week to discuss Service Dogs and who is allowed into the restaurant and who is not.

This similar thing happened to me and Brenda at a Souplantation, in a different area, about 5 years ago. After I called the police, they confronted the manager, we ate dinner and I dealt with the Corporate office the next day......the Manager was fired.

Ten years later; a Successor Dog and I'm still dealing with access problems. I'm going to deal with the Sweet Tomato's Corporate office on Monday, I'm going to call CCI's Graduate Dept., and I'm going to contact IAADP.

TO THE PUBLIC: TRAIN YOUR STAFF. TEACH YOUR EMPLOYEE'S AND STOP BEING IGNORANT ABOUT THE SERVICE DOG.

DAMN THE PEOPLE WHO ABUSE OUR RIGHTS BY BRINGING THEIR UNTRAINED DOGS INTO THE PUBLIC VENUE......THEY RUIN IT FOR US!!!!
I remember the last incident very well. You would think they would have educated their staff after the incident at the other place. Didn't they want the manager to attend some course and he refused? You know Cali started this whole thing anyway by letting celebrities bring their little dogs everywhere they went. Until they can get some kind of national registry this is always going to happen.

Old November 18th, 2012, 11:34 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by trudle View Post
Sorry to hear the trouble you had Roz, but unfortunately, there is always someone out there that do these things. I think I would cross that restaurant off my list. But still write to the home office.

Hope you have a better day today.

Thanks Trudy. The kids love to go to this restaurant. And, this is the second incident with this place. The last one was about 5 years ago, you'd think they would have learned!

I am definitely going to contact them tomorrow, as well as let my org. know.

Old November 18th, 2012, 11:44 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
I remember the last incident very well. You would think they would have educated their staff after the incident at the other place. Didn't they want the manager to attend some course and he refused? You know Cali started this whole thing anyway by letting celebrities bring their little dogs everywhere they went. Until they can get some kind of national registry this is always going to happen.
Wow! Good memory Cindy. That's exactly what happened. I'm writing them tomorrow and I'm going to let CCI know. The cashier was such a moron. The two managers were very apologetic but were so dumbfounded.....they didn't know what to do or say. They gave me two free dinner coupons and were very sorry but the "sting" of it all doesn't go away that easily! And, then to have that woman walk in with her badly behaving "therapy dog!" What a night!!!!!

My DIL reads this thread but doesn't write......to her I say I'm sorry if I embarrassed you....but there's no way I'm going to stand for this kind of treatment in a public place.

I walk and stand tall with all my fellow Service Dog users! Enjoy your travels with your dog!

Old November 19th, 2012, 12:04 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:

<snip>

Roz, I'm so sorry this happened to you... again at a Souplantation! You handled it/are handling it with professionalism and dignity.
Noordam May 9th R/T Vancouver spreadsheet

San Diego to Vancouver, then Inside Passage

Cruise Countdown Tickers

GREAT MEMORIES: Zuiderdam Alaska Inside Passage (7 days) May 2013 ~ Zuiderdam Repo (4 days) May 2013 ~ Zaandam Mexican Riviera (w/ Loreto) (8 days) Apr 2013 ~ Oosterdam Circle Hawaii (14 days) Mar 2012 ~ Oosterdam Mexican Riviera (7 days) Dec 2011 ~ Oosterdam Sea of Cortez (10 days) Apr 2011 (Mother/Daughter Cruise!) ~ Oosterdam Mexican Riviera (7 days) Nov 2010 (First DVS & Neptune Lounge!) ~ Carnival Spirit Alaska (7 days) June 2010 (aft-wrap!) ~ Oosterdam Mexican Riviera (7 days) Nov 2009 ~ NCL Star CTN (2 days) Nov 2009 ~ Carnival Elation Baja Mexico (5 days) Jan 2009 ~ Oosterdam Mexican Riviera (7 days) Apr 2008 ~ Golden Princess Mexican Riviera (7 days) Nov 2007 ~ Monarch of the Seas Baja Mexico (3 days) Jun 2005 ~ Ryndam Mexican Riviera (7 days) Nov 2003 ~ Viking Serenade Baja Mexico (4 days) Apr 2001 (Dad's 85th B-Day!) ~ Maasdam Panama Canal (full transit) (10 days) Apr 2000 ~ Rotterdam Alaska (7 days) Aug 1997 (I'm hooked!)

Old November 19th, 2012, 02:10 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobiemom View Post
Roz, I'm so sorry this happened to you... again at a Souplantation! You handled it/are handling it with professionalism and dignity.
Marcia, thank you so much for your kind words.

I'm out in the public a lot.....I go EVERYWHERE with my wonderful dog. I guess it's bound to happen more to someone who exposes herself and her dog more.....but, it doesn't take away the insult, mortification and embarrassment.

It won't stop me....there are folks who will walk and wheel behind me with their wonderful dogs and, hopefully, their journey will be easier!