Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Alaska

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old November 18th, 2012, 11:14 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Train - Seward to Alaska

I need help. I am trying to book flights for my Alaskan cruise in May. We are on the Radiance, northbound, 5/31/13. Disembarkation is in Seward. It appears that if we want to take the train to Anchorage, the only one is at 6pm which will not get us into Anchorage until 10:15pm. The flight we were looking at 11:30pm, too close for comfort for me. Is this the only train option avaiable? GUess we will have to overnight in Anchorage.
Grandeur 10/31/03
Radiance 02/15/04
Jewel 01/23/05
Radiance 07/02/05
Jewel 10/12/05
Jewel 04/06
Explorer 10/06
NCL Pearl 11/16/07
NCL Jewel 12/15/07
Serenade 01/31/09
NCL Spirit 06/19/09
Carnival Dream 11/15/09
Serenade 01/30/10
Serenade 02/06/10
Jewel 10/23/10
Serenade 1/29/11
Allure 6/5/11
NCL Dawn 9/23/11
Oasis 2/4/12
NCL Dawn 5/4/12
Brilliance 2/2/13
Radiance 5/31/13
Jewel 2/1/14

Old November 18th, 2012, 12:42 PM
5,000+ Club

Location: The interior of BC about 4 hrs north of Vancouver . In the dry part of the Province

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead621 View Post
I need help. I am trying to book flights for my Alaskan cruise in May. We are on the Radiance, northbound, 5/31/13. Disembarkation is in Seward. It appears that if we want to take the train to Anchorage, the only one is at 6pm which will not get us into Anchorage until 10:15pm. The flight we were looking at 11:30pm, too close for comfort for me. Is this the only train option avaiable? GUess we will have to overnight in Anchorage.
I would maybe consider using the RCI train transfers or bus transfers instead. What does RCI recommend for the earliest flights from Anchorage for your cruise?
RCI probably has its own train for transfers or uses HAL's or Celbrity's.
Caribbean Jan 2008 , November 2011
Alaska Aug 2008 , May 2010 , June 2013
Pacific Coastal May 2010
Mexican Riviera January 2011
Hawaii April 2012 , Feb 2013
California Coastal Crown Sept 2014
Princess 11x HAL 3x RCI 2x
Future
Pacific Coastal April 21,2015

Alaska Sampler May 2015

Alaska Northbound August 19,2015

Alaska Southbound August 26,2015

Last edited by Kamloops50; November 18th, 2012 at 12:43 PM.

Old November 18th, 2012, 02:11 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead621 View Post
Keep in mind that The Alaskan Railroad pulls the RCCL cars and all the other cruiselines. I just glanced at their schedule and it appears that is the only train. There are plenty of nice bus trips that are scenic. Can you fly out the next day out of Anchorage? Seaward is actually very nice and if you could stay there one night or at least a full day I think you would enjoy it. First time I went to Alaska cruising out of Seaward I went straight to the ship and really missed most of Seaward. The last time I spent a couple of day there and loved it.

Last edited by snowbird1; November 18th, 2012 at 02:12 PM.

Old November 18th, 2012, 02:14 PM
Cool Cruiser

RCCL does have their own private Alaska Railroad transfer that leaves Seward for Anchorage around 7am. You have to book it directly through the cruise line.

Old November 18th, 2012, 09:08 PM
10,000+ Club

We have used the RCI train (Grandview Railroad) transfer option..it's a 126 mile narrated (each car has their own private guide) trip..It leaves at approx 7:00am from right next to where RCI docks and arrives right to the door of the Anchorage airport at 11:30am...Your flight must be departing no earlier than 1:30pm to participate in this transfer..You or your TA if one was used must book this train option directly with RCI..Just a note....this option usually books up very early as seating is limited...We loved this train trip and it ended up being one of the highlights..Can't wait to do it again for our RCI May 17th cruise.

Ad Sponsored By
Old November 18th, 2012, 11:06 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashland View Post
We have used the RCI train (Grandview Railroad) transfer option..it's a 126 mile narrated (each car has their own private guide) trip..It leaves at approx 7:00am from right next to where RCI docks and arrives right to the door of the Anchorage airport at 11:30am...Your flight must be departing no earlier than 1:30pm to participate in this transfer..You or your TA if one was used must book this train option directly with RCI..Just a note....this option usually books up very early as seating is limited...We loved this train trip and it ended up being one of the highlights..Can't wait to do it again for our RCI May 17th cruise.
I will be on the May 17th Radiance NB as well. We will be taking the RCCL train at the end of the cruise.

Old November 19th, 2012, 09:08 AM
Cool Cruiser

Sorry, don't want to hijack your post but can someone tell me, do they also go from Anchorage to Seaward? I will fly into Anchorage for a Radiance cruise southbound. Will have to get a ride down to Seaward to catch the cruise ship.
Can I book this thru the ship prior to going?
How long a ride is this??

Thank you

Old November 19th, 2012, 09:18 AM
5,000+ Club

Location: The interior of BC about 4 hrs north of Vancouver . In the dry part of the Province

Quote:
Originally Posted by betmust View Post
Sorry, don't want to hijack your post but can someone tell me, do they also go from Anchorage to Seaward? I will fly into Anchorage for a Radiance cruise southbound. Will have to get a ride down to Seaward to catch the cruise ship.

Thank you
All cruise lines have transfers from Anchorage to Seward . The trip is about 4 -5 hrs.
Pacific Coastal May 2010
Future

Alaska Sampler May 2015

Old November 19th, 2012, 12:03 PM
Charter Member - 5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by betmust View Post

Thank you
Yes, you can book the Alaska RR direct to Seward- which has an advantage of allowing you some Seward touring- which shouldn't be missed (I never recommend anyone to have a priority fo getting on a ship ) This leaves early morning.

RCI also has a cruise contracted train, which does cost about 25% more than the regular run, leaves Anchorage too early and arrives in Seward too late for much touring in either city (which may not be desirable for infrequent visitors)

There are also cruise contracted and independent buses and a one way car rental with Hertz.

budgetqueenalaska@yahoo.com

Old November 23rd, 2012, 11:41 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioguyaz View Post
I will be on the May 17th Radiance NB as well. We will be taking the RCCL train at the end of the cruise.
I'm on the same cruise and I don't see this option anywhere... Where are you seeing this is available?

Lydia
RCL Golden Odyssey - 3/93 SE Asia
Star Clipper - 6/94 Mediterranean
Princess - Royal Princess - 1995 Panama Canal Cruise
Orient Lines - Marco Polo - 10/96 Athens to Mombasa
Orient Lines - Marco Polo - 12/97 Antarctica
NCL - Norweigian Dream - 8/98 - Baltic Capitals
Orient Lines - Marco Polo - 2/99 Auckland to Sydney
Orient Lines - Marco Polo - 3/99 Sydney to Singapore
Orient Lines - Marco Polo - 12/99 Millenium Cruise Antarctica
Orient Lines - Marco Polo 2/00 New Zealand
Orient Lines - Crown Odyssey 12/00 Singapore - Hong Kong
Orient Lines - Crown Odyssey 12/00 Hong Kong to Singapore (via Vietnam)
Orient Lines - Marco Polo 6/01 Norwegian Fjords
Orient Lines - Crown Odyssey 12/02 Los Angeles - Tahiti
Orient Lines - Crown Odyssey 12/02 Tahiti - Sydney
Holland America Lines - Veendam 11/06 Western Carribean
Orient Lines - Marco Polo - 11/07 Fall Transatlantic
Orient Lines - Marco Polo - 12/07 Rio to Buenos Aires
Orient Lines - Marco Polo - 12/07 Antarctica and the Falklands
Holland America - Statendam - 3/08 WWII Cruise
Holland America - Veendam - 9/08 Amazon Explorer
Holland America - Nordam - 4/09 Transatlantic
Star Clippers - Star Flyer - 08/09 Tahiti
Royal Caribbean - Independence - 4/10 - Transatlantic
Royal Caribbean - Grandeur - 10/11 - Transatlantic
Royal Caribbean - Radiance - 5/13 - NB Alaska

Old November 24th, 2012, 05:06 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexat2 View Post
I'm on the same cruise and I don't see this option anywhere... Where are you seeing this is available?

Lydia
It usually (or at least when we have booked it ) can't be booked online...you or your TA must contact RCI directly.

Old November 25th, 2012, 01:43 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexat2 View Post

Lydia
Ashland is correct. I booked directly with RCI. If you want to look around Seward before you leave town, this train isn't the right one for you. It leaves about 7am.

Old November 26th, 2012, 05:44 PM
Cool Cruiser

Smile First time on this forum...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashland View Post
It usually (or at least when we have booked it ) can't be booked online...you or your TA must contact RCI directly.
Hi Ashland,

I've just booked by myself the 26th July Radiance cruise. We have a flight out of Anchorage at 3 PM to Vancouver, then Toronto, and finally Tel Aviv.... a very looong day and night. Is the 7AM train of ROC the only one they offer? It seems so early... How much does it cost ? Since I've booked by myself, shall I consider the internet agency my TA ?
Thanks in advance for my "novice" questions, Daniela
7/2013 RCL Radiance - Alaska
7/2014 Celebrity Equinox - Adriatic

Old November 26th, 2012, 06:42 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by dani negreanu View Post
Hi Ashland,

I've just booked by myself the 26th July Radiance cruise. We have a flight out of Anchorage at 3 PM to Vancouver, then Toronto, and finally Tel Aviv.... a very looong day and night. Is the 7AM train of ROC the only one they offer? It seems so early...
You are correct--it is very early in the AM. I think the train pax left the ship at 6am.

We found that many excursions in Alaska leave very early. We did not find our AK cruise relaxing--as a typical cruise would be. I am sure there are people who are more laid back. But, we wanted to see as much as we could. We loved the cruise and plan to go back to AK in a couple of years.

Previous Cruises:Carnival Ecstasy– July 2000: Mexico; Carnival Fantasy– August 2006: Bahamas; Carnival Pride –October 2009: Bahamas; Celebrity Constellation–March 2010: Panama Canal; Enchantment of the Seas–June 2010: Eastern Caribbean, September 2010: New England and Canada, March 2012: Southern Caribbean; Celebrity Mercury–November 2010 Eastern Caribbean and January 2011 Bahamas and Florida; Carnival Legend –April 2011: Western Caribbean; Radiance of the Seas--Alaska; August 2012, Explorer of the Seas--Bermuda: October 2012; Legend of the Seas –Transatlantic, October 2013; Grandeur of the Seas –June 2005: Bermuda, April 2013: Caribbean reposition cruise; March 2014: Western Caribbean; Brilliance of the Seas--North Atlantic TA: August 2014

Old November 26th, 2012, 06:59 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Hi Ashland,

I've just booked by myself the 26th July Radiance cruise. We have a flight out of Anchorage at 3 PM to Vancouver, then Toronto, and finally Tel Aviv.... a very looong day and night. Is the 7AM train of ROC the only one they offer? It seems so early... How much does it cost ? Since I've booked by myself, shall I consider the internet agency my TA ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonOfTheSeas View Post
You are correct--it is very early in the AM. I think the train pax left the ship at 6am.

We found that many excursions in Alaska leave very early. We did not find our AK cruise relaxing--as a typical cruise would be. I am sure there are people who are more laid back. But, we wanted to see as much as we could. We loved the cruise and plan to go back to AK in a couple of years.

Because of travel times, port times and excursion times/durations we prefer to do a 14 day round trip from Vancouver . This allows us to relax and enjoy the cruise , instead of jumping off to catch a flight.
Pacific Coastal May 2010
Future

Alaska Sampler May 2015

Old November 27th, 2012, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Hi Ashland,

There is only one cruise contracted train that leaves about 7am from Seward. In the past it was in the $100pp range.

Old November 27th, 2012, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamloops50 View Post

Because of travel times, port times and excursion times/durations we prefer to do a 14 day round trip from Vancouver . This allows us to relax and enjoy the cruise , instead of jumping off to catch a flight.
In my opinion, the ideal with this thinking is at least a week in between for mainland Alaska touring.

I was llimited to doing this in August, I specifically booked two different cruiselines so to at least get both Whittier and Seward in the mix for boat tours, with a day in between. It was tough for me to be all the way there, and then leave. I did return back.

Old November 27th, 2012, 05:48 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Hi Ashland,

Hi Daniela,
Sorry but yes the cruise contracted train does leave at 7:00am from right next to the ship and arrives into Anchorage at 11:30am.. (Just a Note) about your luggage (just leave it outside your cabin as usual the night before) it is put onboard the train and then will be transfered to your flight..The cost for the train transfers are $101.00pp..If you are using a TA even one online they must call RCI to book this for you, if you booked directly online/phone with RCI then you are your TA and can call RCI directly to add this train transfer (I did just that for my May cruise easy to do)..Enjoy your decision to travel this way to the airport !!

Old November 28th, 2012, 10:12 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Thanks everyone for replying

I've done the Galapagos with Celebrity in May this year... it's not a "cruise" - the ship is just a means of transportation. Far from laid back - 2 excursions per day + snorkel in the middle...
As for leaving the ship at 6AM - it's downright cruelty... After understanding that's the only "train" option - I found locally buses operated, at a much more "civilized" hour. The only direct flight to Vancouver from Anchorage leaves at 3PM, no reason to spend so many hours waiting around at the airport.
7/2013 RCL Radiance - Alaska
7/2014 Celebrity Equinox - Adriatic