Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Special Interest Cruising > Family Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Family Cruises Cruising with kids? Best Family Cruise Advice
Cruise Critic's Family Cruising Resources
Traveling with kids? Best Family Travel Advice
Family Vacation Critic's Family Travel Site

Old November 20th, 2012, 12:11 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Disney Dream 11/11 Review

We recently got back from our first Disney cruise on the Disney Dream, and posted a review here if there are any on the family board who are interested. I'm also happy to answer questions:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...EntryID=111255

Old November 20th, 2012, 06:03 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks for the review! We are going on the Dream in March and your tips about Castaway Cay are fantastic. I was wondering about returning to the ship for lunch and it sounds like that will be our plan.
I also found your comments about the kids club interesting. We live in a very small town and my boys are easily overwhelmed by big groups. However, they love being together, so I hope that will offset the large, unstructured group. We will see

Completed:

NCL Sun 1-1-2011 Eastern Carribean
NCL Star 1-1-2012 Western Caribbean
NCL Jewel 30-12-12 Florida and Bahamas
Disney Dream 14-3-13 Bahamas
NCL Breakaway 9-3-2014 Florida and Bahamas

Land trips to Italy, Portugal, Spain, Egypt, Colombia, Venezuela, Jamaica, Cuba, Dominican Republic, most of the eastern US and all the Canadian provinces.

Old November 20th, 2012, 10:04 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&Z's Mom View Post
Thanks for the review! We are going on the Dream in March and your tips about Castaway Cay are fantastic. I was wondering about returning to the ship for lunch and it sounds like that will be our plan.
I also found your comments about the kids club interesting. We live in a very small town and my boys are easily overwhelmed by big groups. However, they love being together, so I hope that will offset the large, unstructured group. We will see
B&Z - you will have a great time!

How old are your boys? This is just a generalization (and obviously there is a lot of variation amongst children), but I find a lot of boys tend to be more comfortable than girls with horseplay, particularly when then are older. My 4 year old girl was intimidated by the big kids, especially some of the older boys who were kind of rough. It all depends on the group of kids and counselors there when you go, but I suspect boys will have an easier time, particularly when they have each other at the club. It's not necessarily a large crowd inside, but there is a lot going on, and during unstructured activities there is a lot of running around. I bet your boys will have a blast!

As far as Castaway Cay, we got off the boat fairly early, around 8:30, and went to the second family beach. It was a little quieter over there, but close to the Pelican Plunge. Also close to Cookie's Too where you can grab some ice cream, fruit and drinks if you want a snack (or get lunch if you decide to stay on the island). Using the tram it was quick to get back to the ship. It was nice to be onboard when it was so quiet It's also no problem to go back out and spend another couple of hours. As long as the weather is nice, Castaway Cay is a great destination. I'd love to go back.

Have a great time!

Old November 21st, 2012, 05:10 AM
50,000+ Club

Thanks for writing the review and posting the link.

Keith

Old November 21st, 2012, 08:14 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatrcruzer View Post
B&Z - you will have a great time!

How old are your boys? This is just a generalization (and obviously there is a lot of variation amongst children), but I find a lot of boys tend to be more comfortable than girls with horseplay, particularly when then are older. My 4 year old girl was intimidated by the big kids, especially some of the older boys who were kind of rough. It all depends on the group of kids and counselors there when you go, but I suspect boys will have an easier time, particularly when they have each other at the club. It's not necessarily a large crowd inside, but there is a lot going on, and during unstructured activities there is a lot of running around. I bet your boys will have a blast!

Have a great time!
My boys are 7&5 yrs. They don't like horseplay around them, but are fine when it's the two of them joking around My oldest will definitely be intimidated by bigger boys being rough, so we will have to keep an eye on things. We are only on the ship for three nights, so I don't imagine they will be in the kids area very much, but I know they want to check it out. I'll keep the ship phone on me when they are there

Completed:

NCL Sun 1-1-2011 Eastern Carribean
NCL Star 1-1-2012 Western Caribbean
NCL Jewel 30-12-12 Florida and Bahamas
Disney Dream 14-3-13 Bahamas
NCL Breakaway 9-3-2014 Florida and Bahamas

Land trips to Italy, Portugal, Spain, Egypt, Colombia, Venezuela, Jamaica, Cuba, Dominican Republic, most of the eastern US and all the Canadian provinces.

Old November 21st, 2012, 03:28 PM
Cool Cruiser

My boys are 7&5 yrs.

The "older boys" I was referring to were 5-8 years old, so I think your 7 year old is safe

And you are right - there is so much to do and so little time that they probably won't be there much unless the love it.

It was my pleasure to write the review, Keith! I have learned so much from other reviews that I am happy to give back.

Old November 24th, 2012, 09:53 AM
20,000+ Club

Thanks for the review!