Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Carnival Cruise Lines
 
Register here!
Forgot Your Password?


Notices

Carnival Cruise Lines

Read thousands of Carnival Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Carnival Cruise Deals.

Write a Carnival Review

NEW! Find Your CARNIVAL Roll Call

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #161  
Old November 27th, 2012, 03:24 PM
CapeCodCruiser's Avatar
CapeCodCruiser CapeCodCruiser is online now
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Where ever my motor home is parked - currently Texas!
Posts: 2,433
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattp269 View Post
I meant to make a note above, it's interesting how the 2nd letter that said everything is OK is from Jerry Cahill, the President of Carnival Cruise Lines, a Carnvial Corporation Company, but the 1st letter was from Vicky Rey, CTC, Vice President-Guest Services.........

I would like to know why Ms. Rey didn't send out the 2nd letter.

Matt
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKYGSR View Post
Perhaps Ms. Rey is no longer employed with CTC and therefore could not send out the 2nd letter??
I was thinking the same thing that Ms Rey's services are no longer required at Carnival. I just wonder if the first letter was approved by Carnival's legal dept. My guess is that the 2nd letter & the generous cancellation allowance came straight from legal!
__________________



Carnival Breeze -13
NCL Epic - 13***1st TA!
Carnival Valor - 12
Carnival Miracle - 10
Carnival Freedom - 09
NCL Sun - 06
Costa Atlantica - 05
Carnival Triumph - 00
Princess Grand Princess - 99
Carnival Tropicale - 95

  #162  
Old November 27th, 2012, 03:26 PM
MsTabbyKats's Avatar
MsTabbyKats MsTabbyKats is online now
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,731
Default Glory-Dec 2-WOW!!!!

Did anyone else read this?

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=5095

Last edited by MsTabbyKats; November 27th, 2012 at 03:34 PM.

  #163  
Old November 27th, 2012, 03:35 PM
Dawgfan's Avatar
Dawgfan Dawgfan is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Saint Augustine, FL
Posts: 170
Default Inspiration 2005

Booked the DW and I on the Inspiration in Feb 2005 for our 20th anniversary. Has no way of knowing that this was also the cruise for Womynfest at Sea. The only issues we had were really aggressive ladies constantly hitting on my wife and making comments on Lido when she went to get some sun that were inappropriate. I would estimate 75% of the ship was this group and Carnival seemed very accomodating to them, which brings up another issue in that most of the night clubs were booked each night for private parties.
__________________






USS Ranger CV61 85-86

  #164  
Old November 27th, 2012, 03:36 PM
MrPete's Avatar
MrPete MrPete is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: The EMPIRE State
Posts: 24,709
Default

We've been talking about it all day. Did you miss the thread and stickie?

  #165  
Old November 27th, 2012, 03:40 PM
MsTabbyKats's Avatar
MsTabbyKats MsTabbyKats is online now
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,731
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPete View Post
We've been talking about it all day. Did you miss the thread and stickie?
Obviously!

  #166  
Old November 27th, 2012, 03:40 PM
maggie cruises's Avatar
maggie cruises maggie cruises is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 768
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattp269 View Post

CARNIVAL GLORY
DECEMBER 2, 2012
November 27, 2012
Dear Carnival Guest,
Within the last 24 hours, we became aware of a miscommunication between Carnival Cruise Lines and AlandChuck.travel, who have booked a large special interest group on the upcoming Carnival Glory cruise departing December 2, 2012.
The group, "Drag Stars at Sea," includes several performances by stars from Logo TV as part of a series of private events onboard. When the group was presented to us we were advised that only the performers would be dressed in drag during the private events. However, we are now aware that this was not clearly communicated to members of the group and therefore anyone who wishes to dress in drag may do so. Please keep in mind that our safety and security procedures require guests to present government-issued ID, and to be recognizably that person.
At Carnival, we are proud to carry more than 4.5 million guests every year and we welcome them all aboard. We do not practice any form of discrimination against the LGBT or any other community. We sincerely apologize for the miscommunication and for any unintended offense we have caused.
Given this misunderstanding, anyone on this cruise who wishes to cancel for any reason may do so and will receive a full refund of their cruise fare, as well as reimbursement for any non-refundable travel related expenses.
We constantly strive to provide our guests with a fun and memorable vacation. We look forward to welcoming everyone onboard Carnival Glory and again want to apologize for the misunderstanding and for any offense we have caused.
Sincerely,
Gerry Cahill
President & CEO
What PC!!!!

Carnival is giving people the option to cancel?

They must have gotten so many angry calls from the pax who are not part of the group and they know they can't discriminate toward the group so instead they will let others cancel and even give them extra should that be the case.

I have a very low opinion of Carnival right now...not for the original booking....but for the fact that they are catering to one group of pax over the other.

You can decide which group you think they are catering to.....

Last edited by maggie cruises; November 27th, 2012 at 03:42 PM.

  #167  
Old November 27th, 2012, 03:44 PM
maggie cruises's Avatar
maggie cruises maggie cruises is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 768
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellzbellz View Post


so happy to get home from work and see that

as I said before... families come in all shapes and sizes. I consider the LGBTQ community to be as family friendly as the rest of us- of course, there are exceptions to ever rule (and every family has a crazy uncle Frank we pretend not to know!).

No, I've never taken a child to a drag show (of course, where I live, there aren't any!) but I am a foster care/adoption social worker and goodness me, but we're all the same on the inside (well some people are missing an appendix or gallbladder I suppose).
actually Carnival is admitting that they know one group or another will feel uncomfortable on this cruise...

  #168  
Old November 27th, 2012, 03:48 PM
carsastic's Avatar
carsastic carsastic is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: brooklyn
Posts: 737
Default

Outstanding response from cahill
And the right thing for all custs
Now the cust can choose
Simply outstanding bravo Gerry Cahill

  #169  
Old November 27th, 2012, 03:53 PM
MsTabbyKats's Avatar
MsTabbyKats MsTabbyKats is online now
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,731
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie cruises View Post
What PC!!!!

Carnival is giving people the option to cancel?

They must have gotten so many angry calls from the pax who are not part of the group and they know they can't discriminate toward the group so instead they will let others cancel and even give them extra should that be the case.

I have a very low opinion of Carnival right now...not for the original booking....but for the fact that they are catering to one group of pax over the other.

You can decide which group you think they are catering to.....
I don't see this as "2 groups". I see this as a special interest group that feels entitled to flaunt their interest to "the masses".

I don't see this as a gay issue...afaik being gay doesn't have anything to do with dressing in drag.

Carnival is a family oriented cruise line. Who wants to explain to a child why a man is dressed up like a woman? Actually...who could......???

I find this no different than "a nudist cruise". There's nothing wrong with being a nudist...but other passengers should have the option of whether or not they want to sail on the same ship.

  #170  
Old November 27th, 2012, 03:53 PM
lastone/off/the/boat lastone/off/the/boat is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: houston tx
Posts: 78
Default

i knew carnival would do the right thing here. why im not one to jump ship or point fingers.

Thank you carnival!!!!

and to those who are scared of drag queens. go meet one. nicest and excepting ppl you will ever meet.

  #171  
Old November 27th, 2012, 03:56 PM
RuthlessBoss RuthlessBoss is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 6,914
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellzbellz View Post


so happy to get home from work and see that

as I said before... families come in all shapes and sizes. I consider the LGBTQ community to be as family friendly as the rest of us- of course, there are exceptions to ever rule (and every family has a crazy uncle Frank we pretend not to know!).

No, I've never taken a child to a drag show (of course, where I live, there aren't any!) but I am a foster care/adoption social worker and goodness me, but we're all the same on the inside (well some people are missing an appendix or gallbladder I suppose).
Earlier I wondered if the shows on board could be seen by anyone. I looked at the roll call last 2 pages. It was quite informative. There is a schedule out of when they take over the showroom. It's at 4 P.M. on show days, so I assume the ship's regular shows will go on as usual. Also, that booked members will have a colored bracelet to identify them to attend their main shows. As for smaller venue events, I didn't see anything specific on who can go, but pirate attire is suggested wearing a certain color per event.

  #172  
Old November 27th, 2012, 03:57 PM
satxdiver's Avatar
satxdiver satxdiver is offline
Blue Ribbon Cruiser
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: San Antonio spaceship earth
Posts: 4,281
Default

From a post below this issue has gone viral and if that is so I imagine this has developed into one large blunder for carnival. Their latest missive sounds like an attempt to calm the situation down without upsetting the bible thumpers. In the end no one may be happy however. I just wonder how carnival will handle this if the entire group or a very large proportion decides to take them up on their offer to refund all the money for a departure of next Sunday. They could possiblely but not probable have a half filled ship meaning a big loss for that particular cruise.
__________________

RCCL: Rhapsody, 2003; Voyageur, 2008, 2009; Adventure, 2008; Navigator 2013; Mariner 2010, 2011
Holland America: Veendam, 2006
Princess: Grand 2005, 2006; Ruby 2010; Island 2011, 2013; Emerald 2012, 2015; Golden 2012, 2014, 2015; Crown 2013; Caribbean 2013, 2014, 2015; Royal 2014; Star 2014
Carnival: Elation 2005; Magic 2012, 2015
May 2014 Diving trip to Cozumel
castigat ridendo mores

  #173  
Old November 27th, 2012, 04:00 PM
CapeCodCruiser's Avatar
CapeCodCruiser CapeCodCruiser is online now
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Where ever my motor home is parked - currently Texas!
Posts: 2,433
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie cruises View Post
actually Carnival is admitting that they know one group or another will feel uncomfortable on this cruise...
I didn't read that into it at all - not a whole group - perhaps some people but not a whole group. I also think they realized the first letter would open themselves up for a lawsuit.
__________________



Carnival Breeze -13
NCL Epic - 13***1st TA!
Carnival Valor - 12
Carnival Miracle - 10
Carnival Freedom - 09
NCL Sun - 06
Costa Atlantica - 05
Carnival Triumph - 00
Princess Grand Princess - 99
Carnival Tropicale - 95

  #174  
Old November 27th, 2012, 04:03 PM
serene56's Avatar
serene56 serene56 is online now
Charter Member - 10,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: phila, pa
Posts: 48,699
Default

is this a chartered cruise? or just a large group booked
__________________
Next up-- Aruba July 27th
Disney World August 28th, 2014


. o ..
o . o o.o
...oo
__[]__
__|_o_o_o\__
""""""""""/
. .. . /
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

  #175  
Old November 27th, 2012, 04:06 PM
lastone/off/the/boat lastone/off/the/boat is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: houston tx
Posts: 78
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by satxdiver View Post
From a post below this issue has gone viral and if that is so I imagine this has developed into one large blunder for carnival. Their latest missive sounds like an attempt to calm the situation down without upsetting the bible thumpers. In the end no one may be happy however. I just wonder how carnival will handle this if the entire group or a very large proportion decides to take them up on their offer to refund all the money for a departure of next Sunday. They could possiblely but not probable have a half filled ship meaning a big loss for that particular cruise.

I dont think they will have any problems filling the ship, especially if they are discounting the price. I would love, love, love to be on this ship!

  #176  
Old November 27th, 2012, 04:07 PM
Pauser Pauser is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Philadelphia area
Posts: 172
Default

Robbieone:

Your post was very eloquently stated and I am sorry this all transpired. I agree that Carnival handled this terribly. I hope you and your family can put this aside (if you are still going) and have a wonderful vacation.

Best wishes.
__________________
Carnival Valor, Western Caribbean, January 2013
Carnival Miracle, Southern Caribbean, January 2012
Carnival Miracle, Southern Caribbean, January 2010
Norwegian Jewel, Southern Caribbean, February 2009
Norwegian Dawn, Eastern Caribbean, February 2008
Norwegian Jewel, Eastern Caribbean, February 2007
Caribbean Princess, Eastern Caribbean, January 2006

  #177  
Old November 27th, 2012, 04:07 PM
RuthlessBoss RuthlessBoss is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 6,914
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by serene56 View Post
is this a chartered cruise? or just a large group booked
A large group booked .

  #178  
Old November 27th, 2012, 04:16 PM
NEWORLEANSCRUISER1 NEWORLEANSCRUISER1 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 418
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattp269 View Post
I meant to make a note above, it's interesting how the 2nd letter that said everything is OK is from Jerry Cahill, the President of Carnival Cruise Lines, a Carnvial Corporation Company, but the 1st letter was from Vicky Rey, CTC, Vice President-Guest Services.........

I would like to know why Ms. Rey didn't send out the 2nd letter.

Matt
Maybe she is no longer with the company. Also I would think the PR department at carnival needs some serious remedial training ASAP!! Maybe PR 101.

  #179  
Old November 27th, 2012, 04:17 PM
MrPete's Avatar
MrPete MrPete is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: The EMPIRE State
Posts: 24,709
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by satxdiver View Post
From a post below this issue has gone viral and if that is so I imagine this has developed into one large blunder for carnival. Their latest missive sounds like an attempt to calm the situation down without upsetting the bible thumpers. In the end no one may be happy however. I just wonder how carnival will handle this if the entire group or a very large proportion decides to take them up on their offer to refund all the money for a departure of next Sunday. They could possiblely but not probable have a half filled ship meaning a big loss for that particular cruise.
What's really interesting, unless I missed it, is the group organizer/TA is not even mentioning a refund. Just that Carnival is reaching out trying to undo this royal mess.

  #180  
Old November 27th, 2012, 04:18 PM
Boytjie's Avatar
Boytjie Boytjie is offline
10,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 13,305
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuthlessBoss View Post
Earlier I wondered if the shows on board could be seen by anyone. I looked at the roll call last 2 pages. It was quite informative. There is a schedule out of when they take over the showroom. It's at 4 P.M. on show days, so I assume the ship's regular shows will go on as usual. Also, that booked members will have a colored bracelet to identify them to attend their main shows. As for smaller venue events, I didn't see anything specific on who can go, but pirate attire is suggested wearing a certain color per event.
On most cruise lines where there are organized groups with special events, only people that booked through that group can attend its events - it is a cruise line rule.
__________________
Peter

Future Cruise:
RSVP Regal Princess Feb 8 2015 Western Caribbean
Past Cruises:
RSVP Caribbean Fantasy - Caribbean Princess Feb 2007
RSVP Alaska Gold Rush - Amsterdam Sep 2007
RSVP Exotic Caribbean - Zuiderdam Feb 2008
RSVP Eastern Caribbean - Eurodam Feb 2009
Lewis R. French Schooner in Maine - July2009
Labor Day Getaway (Pied Piper) - QM2 Sep 2009
RSVP Southern Caribbean - Eurodam Feb 2010
RSVP Hawaii - Pride of America Oct 2010
RSVP Eastern Caribbean - Nieuw Amsterdam Feb 2012
RSVP Southern Caribbean - Eurodam Feb 2013
RSVP Divina Caribbean - MSC Divina Feb 2014




Closed Thread

Bookmarks


Ad Sponsored By
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:19 PM.


© 1995 - 2014, The Independent Traveler, Inc. All rights reserved.
"A Community of People Who Love To Cruise"
All of the information contained within Cruise Critic is protected by copyright. You may, however, download a single copy only for your personal use.